What's new

BD should attach importance to Asian Highway development

CaPtAiN_pLaNeT

Reaction score
Nation's progress to be futile sans it: Quader

FE Report

Communications Minister Obaidul Quader Thursday said progress of the country would be futile and hard to achieve if it failed to attach due importance to the development of the Asian Highway from now on.

"Asian Highway is not a dream of the current times. Its importance from the perspective of connectivity and economic growth has always been unparalleled," he said while addressing the inaugural ceremony of a capacity building workshop in the city.

Road Division of the Communications Ministry and UN Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) organised the workshop titled "Investment studies and preparation of project proposals in transportation planning" with the objective to conduct a feasibility study on one of the Asian Highway routes.

ESCAP has identified three routes of the highway that will pass through the country, of which the commission will extend help to the study on Jessore-Jhenidah-Pakshi-Bonapara route.

ESCAP will help Bangladesh conduct the feasibility study of a 150 kilometre (km) road-stretch out of 1800 km under the Asian Highway. After the study, the commission will look for investment to develop the road.

The Communications Minister said the country had been praised for maintaining growth on an average at six per cent shifting its economy from the margins to the centre adding that Bangladesh's connectivity with the Asian Highway would accelerate growth.

He, however, laid importance on the continuation of the progress through political stability as changes of governments after one term had so far resulted in hindrances to the continuation of development.

The minister called upon ESCAP to keep in mind the reality of the country while developing the road network saying that development of a single segment of the country's large road network in line with Asian Highway would not bring due benefit to the people of the country.

The workshop was addressed, among others, by additional secretary AM Badruddoza, ESCAP representative Abdul Quium and deputy secretary Nurul Amin.

I think thread title should read 'BD should attach importance to Indian Highway development'. This project has no benefit to Bangladesh which merely locks the country into the Indian highway network with no direct access to a third country.

Mr Munshi...Agreed ...India NE is land locked from 3 sides....But take in another way....India is not all about NE..If BD provides transit then it is well and good...If it does not it is not a work stopper for us....But think about BD...It is sorrounded by India from 3 sides....So who is land locked? BD or India??

I think thread title should read 'BD should attach importance to Indian Highway development'. This project has no benefit to Bangladesh which merely locks the country into the Indian highway network with no direct access to a third country.

aka indian dumping route

Its good idea proposed by Minister, though old one.

India should do complete investment for a 4 lane or if possible 6 lane highway from Kolkatta to Dhaka to Agartala.

This highway then will be connected to both sides, Amritsar to Lahore to Kabul while from Agartala to Myanmar way down to other south east asian nations.

Its good idea proposed by Minister, though old one.

India should do complete investment for a 4 lane or if possible 6 lane highway from Kolkatta to Dhaka to Agartala.

This highway then will be connected to both sides, Amritsar to Lahore to Kabul while from Agartala to Myanmar way down to other south east asian nations.

Indian govt is very miser and wants a free lunch. Do you think India will ever come with the money to build any road infrastructure inside BD, although it benefits India?

Indian govt is very miser and wants a free lunch. Do you think India will ever come with the money to build any road infrastructure inside BD, although it benefits India?

Look Indian govt ran out of steam my brother. S&P lowered the rating considering India is living on deficit and loans. For how long you can fuel the engine with borrowing? For all along I was saying the same thing on PDF that Indian growth rate is not sustainable as there is basic structural problem. Now my predictions are coming to true.

What was the approved plan of Asian Highway? Is it going through India or does Bangladesh have direct access to Myanmar?

There will not be any Asian Highway my friend considering the political relationship between BD-India and BD-Myanmar in near future. Its just a pipe dream.

Asian Highway is really a dreamers dream I guess, unless political tensions beats down in this part, it won't be much useful. Rather will be discouraged by artificial blockades.

Look Indian govt ran out of steam my brother. S&P lowered the rating considering India is living on deficit and loans. For how long you can fuel the engine with borrowing? For all along I was saying the same thing on PDF that Indian growth rate is not sustainable as there is basic structural problem. Now my predictions are coming to true.

You really have no idea about why the economic growth has slowed down a bit. It is basically a political tug of war between populists led by Sonia and Reformists led by Manmohan and the resulting policy paralysis. Nothing to do with basic economic structure or whatever that means,

You really have no idea about why the economic growth has slowed down a bit. It is basically a political tug of war between populists led by Sonia and Reformists led by Manmohan and the resulting policy paralysis. Nothing to do with basic economic structure or whatever that means,

I dont want to go into this debate now. I mentioned those in a lot of thread since long. India did follow a wrong path all together.

Back
Top Bottom