What's new

Bangladesh’s per capita income to increase by $233 by June, estimated to be $2,824: BBS

Due to the size and density of Bangladesh - the transformation will be rapid.

In India and Pakistan a 100km road or power grid won’t transform the lives of many people.

In Bangladesh equivalent road would transform the lives of 10s of millions of people.

One bridge on the Jamuna has transformed the lives of 20 million.

Our investment on infrastructure just goes much farther due to geography!

Few years ago, everyone complained just how much a road costs to build in BD compared to India or Pakistan.

They forget that land cost in BD is much higher and it is a delta cross-crossed by rivers and lakes.

When you divide the cost by how many people that road will serve then the cost is similar.

I see BD being like a giant Singapore by 2050 but with efficient and industrialised farming that it can grow and produce most of its own food.

What is wrong with you as this has been explained to you MULTIPLE times already?!

BD and it’s citizens are poorer than both Pakistan and India as it has been behind the per capita incomes since only the last 5 years.

The “accumulated wealth” in BD is less than the other two countries.

Think of the difference between a young person who has just started earning the same as a much older person. That does not mean the young person has the same wealth and assets as the older person!

In this decade you will see BD cities and citizens surpassing Pakistan and potentially India early next decade.

Please let go as this serious case of butt-hurt is bad for your health.

BD works more like an efficient East Asian economy than a chaotic and messy S Asian one.

It keeps coming up because BD media itself has said numerous times and by numerous analysts that the GDP numbers are inflated and that the country has been doing it for some time now.

It keeps coming up because BD media itself has said numerous times and by numerous analysts that the GDP numbers are inflated and that the country has been doing it for some time now.

Give it up. Any media can find someone to write a story to make news.

How do you think that the average salary of garment workers has gone by THREE times in the last 10 years?

BD has one of the fastest growing wage growth in the world on the back of one of the fastest growing economies.

Like I say BD is like a highly efficient E Asian economy now and nothing like S Asia anymore.

Few years ago, everyone complained just how much a road costs to build in BD compared to India or Pakistan.

They forget that land cost in BD is much higher and it is a delta cross-crossed by rivers and lakes.

When you divide the cost by how many people that road will serve then the cost is similar.

I see BD being like a giant Singapore by 2050 but with efficient and industrialised farming that it can grow and produce most of its own food.
Yep!

These people only understand the price of everything and the value of nothing!

Better way to look at is lives transformed.

Pakistan has beautiful express ways but how many people does it serve? How many lives transformed?

Ditto India with expensive roads and railways to remote areas serving few hundred thousand people.

Yep!

These people only understand the price of everything and the value of nothing!

Better way to look at is lives transformed.

Pakistan has beautiful express ways but how many people does it serve? How many lives transformed?

Ditto India with expensive roads and railways to remote areas serving few hundred thousand people.

If you look at all the construction projects that BD does, they both have a positive economic impact and also improve the lives of people that will take advantage of these projects.

Unlike both Pakistan and India like you mentioned nothing is done for prestige, apart from naming everything Bangabandhu!

If you look at all the construction projects that BD does, they both have a positive economic impact and also improve the lives of people that will take advantage of these projects.

Unlike both Pakistan and India like you mentioned nothing is done for prestige, apart from naming everything Bangabandhu!
Given how Sheikh Hasina has transformed BD’s economy - we need to start naming everything BangaBandhobi

This is what I don't get. With countries like India/PK you can see alot of visible prosperity in alot of areas and even in Middle class urban areas. In BD I don't see those swanky posh houses , Housing societies etc etc. Even when I see annual car sales they are half of PK. Almost all the brands that I see abroad are in PK but absent in BD. You would think they would capitalize on the recent economic growth?

For example here is Lahore where you can see visible improvement/prosperity/money in terms of infrastructure/cars/homes/cleanliness or quality of roads. And the video is 20 mins long so you can get an idea of the whole city. I don't see alot of this in BD cities apart from maybe in small stretches.

Here is Bahria town In Karachi which is almost a tiny city in itself and just being built.

Won't copy paste Islamabad because that's a 100% planned city. Where do the middle class/upper class in BD cities live? Haven't seen much of those areas.
Brother with all due respect you are asking the wrong question. You should ask how come with Cities like islamabad, parts of lahore looking like european cities where your per capita gdp is not even $2000, the look of Bangladesh is a perfect representation of how a $2500 per capita gdp should look like. Would any flashy infrastructure feed the poor? I give you another example, my friend who maybe getting half of my salary can buy a fancy marcedes on loan and me driving a toyota camry cash may look like a passant next to him, ryt? So taking big loans to build flashy infrastructure may create an illusion but wont help you when you go bankrupt.

Brother with all due respect you are asking the wrong question. You should ask how come with Cities like islamabad, parts of lahore looking like european cities where your per capita gdp is not even $2000, the look of Bangladesh is a perfect representation of how a $2500 per capita gdp should look like. Would any flashy infrastructure feed the poor? I give you another example, my friend who maybe getting half of my salary can buy a fancy marcedes on loan and me driving a toyota camry cash may look like a passant next to him, ryt? So taking big loans to build flashy infrastructure may create an illusion but wont help you when you go bankrupt.

I think you need to ask your government if the per capita figures are correct because they keep increasing per capita every month which doesnt happen in other countries. Multiple reports are there on how the government is inflating numbers.

Another thing on per capita is our currency is not pegged/artificially controlled wrt USD. We let it float freely. Taka is artificially controlled to USD. On top of that the govt is inflating numbers which is correlated by numerous experts/analysts. Despite all of this PPP which is true indicator of living is still higher in PK.

Visible prosperity on the ground/ consumption/ tax collection do not correlate directly to the per capita numbers.

For example annual car sales in PK are almost double of BD.

As you said, 2.5k GDP PER CAPITA is a pittance. And Bangladesh’s infrastructure represents that pittance.

Pakistan’s infrastructure is concentrated in a few big cities.

And almost entirely built with loans and American war on terror largesse. And you are paying for it now.

If Bangladesh spent all its reserves and went into Pakistan’s level of debt - it too would have a few gleaming cities.

Btw, what the hell has tax collection got to do with prosperity?

Florida has no income tax. so is Florida poor and it’s GDP figures fudged?

Give it up. Any media can find someone to write a story to make news.

How do you think that the average salary of garment workers has gone by THREE times in the last 10 years?

BD has one of the fastest growing wage growth in the world on the back of one of the fastest growing economies.

Like I say BD is like a highly efficient E Asian economy now and nothing like S Asia anymore.

The average salary has gone up by the same amount in most developing nations because of inflation.

You are only interested in one type of discussion. Mark it here the next per capita increase claim will come in two weeks. At this rate its kind of a joke to keep track of it given how often they keep doing it to make themselves look good.

The average salary has gone up by the same amount in most developing nations because of inflation.

You are only interested in one type of discussion. Mark it here the next per capita increase claim will come in two weeks. At this rate its kind of a joke to keep track of it given how often they keep doing it to make themselves look good.

Covid showed whose economy is resilient.

And look at the excess death numbers.

I think you need to ask your government if the per capita figures are correct because they keep increasing per capita every month which doesnt happen in other countries. Multiple reports are there on how the government is inflating numbers.

Visible prosperity on the ground/ consumption/ tax collection do not correlate directly to the per capita numbers.

For example annual car sales in PK are almost double of BD.
Lets say it is in inflated. But by how much? 3-5%.maybe still not a bad number even if we take 10% and say around $2500 still that number we can consider a great result taking the world economy plus covid into consideration. Our exporters have recenly reported they are having more than 30% growth and running overcapacity also created a short term skilled labour shortage.

You are correct about our our revenue collection but this is also contributed to our tax structure that is indirect tax based. The government due to the recent global situation didnt put extra stress on persuing after taxpayers. But situation will improve slowly and also there is a lack of tax paying culture in our country that the government has to work on but that with more of educating that with chasing and fines.

On the matter of car sales this is still considered a luxury item by our government and righty as its fully imported and government has very high import duty on cars to discourage its sales and as it also has impact on fuel import that creates another burden, see how pakistan is struggling to pay for its oil imports and chasing after galf leaders for oil loans.

The issues that we are having now is rising cost of food and necessary items and due to our better financial management our govt can allow subsidies to them during the crisis, you have to agree that not many countries can afford that now.

One thing i would like to add is our debt to gdp ratio is still at a very safe level. We can certainly borrow a lot more now and that will increase our gdp growth, but will put us at risk that some of our neighbours are facing.

Lets say it is in inflated. But by how much? 3-5%.maybe still not a bad number even if we take 10% and say around $2500 still that number we can consider a great result taking the world economy plus covid into consideration. Our exporters have recenly reported they are having more than 30% growth and running overcapacity also created a short term skilled labour shortage.

You are correct about our our revenue collection but this is also contributed to our tax structure that is indirect tax based. The government due to the recent global situation didnt put extra stress on persuing after taxpayers. But situation will improve slowly and also there is a lack of tax paying culture in our country that the government has to work on but that with more of educating that with chasing and fines.

On the matter of car sales this is still considered a luxury item by our government and righty as its fully imported and government has very high import duty on cars to discourage its sales and as it also has impact on fuel import that creates another burden, see how pakistan is struggling to pay for its oil imports and chasing after galf leaders for oil loans.

The issues that we are having now is rising cost of food and necessary items and due to our better financial management our govt can allow subsidies to them during the crisis, you have to agree that not many countries can afford that now.

One thing i would like to add is our debt to gdp ratio is still at a very safe level. We can certainly borrow a lot more now and that will increase our gdp growth, but will put us at risk that some of our neighbours are facing.

BS like car sales and tax collection are nothing to do with GDP per capita.

Bangladesh is a low tax economy - May it continue forever.

Bangladeshis don’t drive cars - again let it continue.

Bangladesh being a flood prone and densely populated country has different consumption patterns.

It would be like asking a Pakistani how much they spend on flood control and flood defences.

Average Bangladeshi spends a lot on that. Pakistanis spend virtually nothing on it. Shall I now extrapolate their GDP on that basis!!??

BS like car sales and tax collection are nothing to do with GDP per capita.

Bangladesh is a low tax economy - May it continue forever.

Bangladeshis don’t drive cars - again let it continue.

Bangladesh being a flood prone and densely populated country has different consumption patterns.

It would be like asking a Pakistani how much they spend on flood control and flood defences.

Average Bangladeshi spends a lot on that. Pakistanis spend virtually nothing on it. Shall I now extrapolate their GDP on that basis!!??

This sounds like an excuse. If you don't drive cars what do your people travel in? Your cities are one of the most dense in terms of population. Which cities have BRT/MRT's? None.

Per capita PPP dude that cannot be manipulated that has gone up in line with nominal.

In 10-15 years people like you will be hit with a TON OF BRICKS and it will HURT.

Back
Top Bottom