What's new

Bangladesh's GDP per capita has crossed Pakistan's GDP per capita

Status
Not open for further replies.
Islamabad was built mostly by tax+export money looted from than East Pakistan.Sheikh Mujib complained about this.
Even turf grasses that was planted for beautification of Islamabad was imported from abroad with east Pakistan money earned by exporting jute. Anyway, BD has crossed a milestone by achieving a higher per capita GDP than Pakistan. We will keep on challenging all our neighbors in the future.

I did not know that having Uber, Burger King , Johnny Rockets in a city constitutes progress. Not only are these present in our major cities, there are other international brands present too. I find this disconcerting when we cannot start services like uber ourselves, yet think of having them siphon money out of our economies to be 'investments'. I also don't think having foreign burger joints or beverage brands like coke is necessary for us in South Asia. Maybe we can manage fast food and hygiene better, but who needs to pay franchise fees to these idiots? Not worth it. Flipping burgers and carbonating drinks is not rocket science.

Bangladesh remains an LDC because we planned it that way, it helps trade. No one is arguing that some in Pakistan may have a better life. Its possible. One can build Bahria towns of course, but over 65% of Karachi dwellers live in slums. Orangi happens to be the largest slum town in South Asia. Areas like Manghopir, Afghan basti, Pehlwan Basti have become havens for criminals. Over 65% of Karachi dewellers live in slums. Can we wish these away and pretend that Pakistan has now become a first world state? I say this not to deride Pakistan but out of concern - hiding head in the sand will only exacerbate the problems, not solve them.

Statistics from the World Bank and the UN don't lie. Those are real and we should acknowedge them as issues, and not be in denial about them.

If I am not wrong the only available fast food outlet in Bangladesh is KFC and Pizza hut . When foreign companies come inside a country they look for markets that will be much more profitable for them . That is the exact same reason why there are none in Somalia and Chad .

I never said Pakistan was first world nor is it that way infact we have a long way to go to be one . As for world bank figures .

Bangladesh%2BPoverty.jpg

http://povertydata.worldbank.org/poverty/country/PAK
http://povertydata.worldbank.org/poverty/country/BGD

Compare Dhaka's population with that of Karachi. It's evident that Dhaka has a bigger economy than Karachi or any Pakistani city. Much bigger if you compare in nominal term.

Also happiness index.......impressive I guess. Look at terrorism or peace index. Or homicide rate if you want to measure useless stats.

BD is a LDC because we like the benefits we get being a LDC. We'll probably graduate from LDC status by 2021.

How pathetic Pakistan might be if they are doing worse than a LDC in so many sectors.

I gave you the GDP per capita figures its pretty evident who is ahead . There so many Indexes which I can quote where Pakistan is ahead by some Distance like Food Index , Corruption Index , Economic Freedom , Mercer Quality of Life , Wealth per capita , Logistics Index . I can keep on quoting them .

US and Mexico's Homocide rate is worse than BD so BD is better i guess ? Despite you performing better in Peace Index we get much more tourists , host more International Conferences and much more Well known people from around the world regularly visit Pakistan .:rolleyes: .

Even turf grasses that was planted for beautification of Islamabad was imported from abroad with east Pakistan money earned by exporting jute. Anyway, BD has crossed a milestone by achieving a higher per capita GDP than Pakistan. We will keep on challenging all our neighbors in the future.

We don't have the 2017 figures for Pakistan but in 2016 according to Atlas it was $1510 for Pakistan and $1330 Bangladesh . Unless you grew at 30 % there is no way that happened . Stop believing those government figures of yours . Even if we go by them its still not ahead

True. Islamabad is still a beautiful city but calling it a 'major city' or 'big city' is really a superfluous assertion.
If Bangladesh set aside disproportionate amount of money for the Beutification of a small city of 1.5 million people,than we also can get a city like Islamabad.Islamabad is a showpiece city for the rest of the world and a place for Pakistani elite general, bureaucrats,politician to lead a blissful life away from the harsh realities which most of the Pakistani found themselves.We are better without anything like Islamabad.

We have a different psycho comparing to Pakistan. Bangali Muslims fought for creating Pakistan because they wanted peace with their Hindu neighbors. So, my question is why Pakistan has to quarrel with India when it has a big chunk of land in comparison to its population in 1947? Peace means progress and development.

Don't poke your nose into matters you are uneducated on.

Kashmiri people decided to join Pakistan in 47 but India presented the theory of "Prince of Kashmir acceded to India".
Junagadh and Manvadar Prince opted for Pakistan but India occupied and the held a refrendum where people voted for India, here india used the theory of "people of Junagadh/Manvadar choose India over Pakistan".
Hyderabad Deccan Nawabs wanted independence or merger with Pakistan but India occupied and held refrendum and again the theory of "people's choice came in as justification".

You cannot twist the conditions to have an outcome in your favor.

Now kindly don't post offtopic questions.

All of us have moved on beyond 1971, so finger pointing is rather pointless. But getting the historical perspective on events leading up to 1971 is important. It tells you about the selfish mis-steps taken by Yahya, Bhutto, et al. And lessons learned, to be avoided in the future if possible.
For many Pakistani,mere mention of 1971 by Bangladeshi people is branded as 'living in the past' or 'obsessed with Pakistan' or 'inferiority complex against Pakistan'.If discussing about the independence of a country is living in the past than what about Pakistan? Pakistanis are constantly harping about, 1947 partition, radcliffe awards, two nation theory,war with India, Origin of Kashmir problem, pre-partition hindu-muslim relation and what not?They study 'Pakistan studies' in school college to keep alive the raw emotion which lead to violent partition of 1947 and hatred of Hindus and India.But if we spell one word about 1971, then we are uniquely 'living in the past' and 'obsessing with Pakistan'

For many Pakistani,mere mention of 1971 by Bangladeshi people is branded as 'living in the past' or 'obsessed with Pakistan' or 'inferiority complex against Pakistan'.If discussing about the independence of a country is living in the past than what about Pakistan? Pakistanis are constantly harping about, 1947 partition, radcliffe awards, two nation theory,war with India, Origin of Kashmir problem, pre-partition hindu-muslim relation and what not?They study 'Pakistan studies' in school college to keep alive the raw emotion which lead to violent partition of 1947 and hatred of Hindus and India.But if we spell one word about 1971, then we are uniquely 'living in the past' and 'obsessing with Pakistan'
No you are allowed to wipe out this hatred by introducing love books for India including pre/post partition and fatherly role in Bangladesh creation and a proposed confederation..We have no problem..
Better introduce Indian studies in school

If Bangladesh set aside disproportionate amount of money for the Beutification of a small city of 1.5 million people,than we also can get a city like Islamabad.Islamabad is a showpiece city for the rest of the world and a place for Pakistani elite general, bureaucrats,politician to lead a blissful life away from the harsh realities which most of the PakB

When the topic of Islamabad comes up with BD posters according to them its a showpiece city for the world . BS . 2 million people live there . That's bigger population than your third biggest city Khulna . Everything in Islamabad is in order because the local government in Islamabad CDA is notoriously strict with everything house planning , environment , cutting of trees etc . Recently Bicycle lanes were introduced all over Islamabad . As for the general view that it's an elitist city well its filled with 2 million people which consists of students , Migrants , Normal upper Middle Class people .

When the talk shifts to Lahore according to BD posters its also a showpiece city by Punjab government having shiny new roads , flyovers and orange line . Whats stopping you to develop your second largest city and making it look fancy ?

No you are allowed to wipe out this hatred by introducing love books for India including pre/post partition and fatherly role in Bangladesh creation and a proposed confederation..We have no problem..
Better introduce Indian studies in school
We will remain friendly with India until it comes with tanks and guns, as some other remote country did in 1971. Do you have problem with this?

We will remain friendly with India until it comes with tanks and guns, as some other remote country did in 1971. Do you have problem with this?
Alhamdoillah .and you should continue to be..I've no problem and enmity towards your brotherly relations..
Where did i say i have any problem ?

Don't poke your nose into matters you are uneducated on.

1) Kashmiri people decided to join Pakistan in 47 but India presented the theory of "Prince of Kashmir acceded to India".
2) Junagadh and Manvadar Prince opted for Pakistan but India occupied and the held a refrendum where people voted for India, here india used the theory of "people of Junagadh/Manvadar choose India over Pakistan".
3) Hyderabad Deccan Nawabs wanted independence or merger with Pakistan but India occupied and held refrendum and again the theory of "people's choice came in as justification".

You cannot twist the conditions to have an outcome in your favor.

1) There was no plebiscite where Kashmiris said they would join Pakistan in 1947. By a tripartite agreement, the Indian Maharajas and Nawabs of the Princely states were supposed to decide on three options. Dogra of Kashmir decided to join India when in 1948 Pakistani Pathan militias suddenly attacked Kashmir. Dogra fled to Delhi and declared his alliance.
2) Same is true for Junagad and Manvadar.
3) Hyderabad was a different case. But it was far away from Pakistan. So, Nizam had very little choice but to accede to Indian demand when its military advanced there.

So, am I still twisting the facts? It is you who is day dreaming and building up your armed forces, but in the process neglecting the development of your country.

Islamabad was built mostly by tax+export money looted from than East Pakistan.Sheikh Mujib complained about this.
first you decide either it was made from diverting resources as your other friend pointed out or some imaginary looted jute money...Where was this Pat-sun suddenly disappeared after Bangladesh creation that could have provided with billions of dollar to make cities like Islamabd..

If I am not wrong the only available fast food outlet in Bangladesh is KFC and Pizza hut . When foreign companies come inside a country they look for markets that will be much more profitable for them . That is the exact same reason why there are none in Somalia and Chad .

I never said Pakistan was first world nor is it that way infact we have a long way to go to be one . As for world bank figures .

Bangladesh%2BPoverty.jpg

I gave you the GDP per capita figures its pretty evident who is ahead . There so many Indexes which I can quote where Pakistan is ahead by some Distance like Food Index , Corruption Index , Economic Freedom , Mercer Quality of Life , Wealth per capita , Logistics Index . I can keep on quoting them .

US and Mexico's Homocide rate is worse than BD so BD is better i guess ? Despite you performing better in Peace Index we get much more tourists , host more International Conferences and much more Well known people from around the world regularly visit Pakistan .:rolleyes: .

We don't have the 2017 figures for Pakistan but in 2016 according to Atlas it was $1510 for Pakistan and $1330 Bangladesh . Unless you grew at 30 % there is no way that happened . Stop believing those government figures of yours . Even if we go by them its still not ahead
That's why instead of comparing useless stats like happiness index you should coompare the ones that matter. Like GDP per capita, HDI, literacy rate

Well in general Indians have friendly views about Bangladesh and Bangladeshis. Only after joining PDF I found out that Indian and BD posters are always fighting with each other :)

That's why instead of comparing useless stats like happiness index you should coompare the ones that matter. Like GDP per capita, HDI, literacy rate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Happiness_Report

The World Happiness Report is a measure of happiness published by the United NationsSustainable Development Solutions Network.[1] The World Happiness Report is edited by John F. Helliwell, Richard Layard and Jeffrey Sachs.

Data is collected from people in over 150 countries. Each variable measured reveals a populated-weighted average score on a scale running from 0 to 10 that is tracked over time and compared against other countries. These variables currently include: real GDP per capita, social support, healthy life expectancy, freedom to make life choices, generosity, and perceptions of corruption. Each country is also compared against a hypothetical nation called Dystopia. Dystopia represents the lowest national averages for each key variable and is, along with residual error, used as a regression benchmark.

So Basically Happiness report is HDI + Corruption perception + Personal freedom + Social support all important areas where Bangladesh lag behind . Name me one useless criteria here .

You can compare Science and Technology . Whilst Pakistan is not where it should be its still ahead of Bangladesh .

http://www.scimagojr.com/countryrank.php

Number of research papers

Pakistan 40 rank
Bangladesh 59

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/IP.PAT.RESD

Number of Patents (2015 )

Pakistan 209
Bangladesh 41

Am not surprised we are ahead in most indexes .

Links, please.

He is using 2017 IMF figures for Bangladesh and 2016 for Pakistan . I have seen the IMF figures . 2017 figures for Pakistan haven't been revealed yet .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom