What's new

Bangladeshi Army Chief on 6-day visit to Pakistan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Introvert

Reaction score
Bangladeshi Army Chief on 6-day visit to Pakistan

2008-10-20 19:36:15

ISLAMABAD, Oct. 20 (Xinhua) -- General Moeen U Ahmed, Chief of Army Staff of Bangladeshi Army arrived in Pakistan's garrison city of Rawalpindi on Monday on a six-day official visit.

Moeen U Ahmed was warmly received by senior Pakistan military officials on arrival at Islamabad International Airport, according to official Associated Press of Pakistan.

He is scheduled to meet senior military leadership of the Armed Forces and visit various defense institutions and organizations during his stay in Pakistan.

General Moeen U Ahmed joined Bangladeshi Army in 1975 and has been serving in the army for over three decades.

Bangladeshi Army Chief on 6-day visit to Pakistan _English_Xinhua

Keep us updated on his visit. We in Bangladesh are very interested on what he says over there. Will he come back with six horses or not and what will he do with them. Still figuring out what to do with the six India gave him......

its good for bangladesh now we seen what he wan't or what he needs.last time they get more then 500 bakter shiken missiles .

Are there going to be any cooperation being inked?.

Pakistan, Bangladesh agree to promote cooperation

Tuesday, 21 Oct, 2008 | 06:47 PM PST |

General Moeen U Ahmed, Chief of Army Staff of Bangladesh, calls on Federal Minister for Defence, Chaudhry Mukhtar at Ministry of Defence. – APP

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan and Bangladesh have expressed the desire to intensify bilateral cooperation in divergent fields particularly in the area of defence.
The issue was discussed in a meeting between Federal Minister for Defence, Ch Ahmed Mukhtar and the visiting Chief of the Army Staff of Bangladesh, Gen Mueen U Ahmed. The dignities exchanged views on various aspects of defence cooperation and underscored the need for enhanced interaction between the Armed Forces of the two countries, beside promoting people-to-people contacts between the two Muslim countries.
The Minister briefed Gen Mueen about the potential of the defence industry of Pakistan. He practically highlighted the combat capability of JF-17 Thunder Aircraft, Al-Khalid and Al-Zarrar Tanks. He also offered assistance to Bangladesh in the field of Defence sector. It was agreed to increase exchanges at different levels and further strengthen the existing linkage for the mutual benefits of the two sides.
The minister also apprised the visiting dignitary about the recently concluded visit of the President of Pakistan, Asif Ali Zardari to China. He said that the visit proved highly fruitful and successful, because China - an all weather friend of Pakistan signed agreements and Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Pakistan to strengthen the strategic partnership, reinforce the multifaceted relations and intensify economic, trade and defence cooperation.
Earlier the minister welcomed the Chief of Army Staff of Bangladesh to Ministry of Defence and expressed the hope that his visit would help in strengthening defence cooperation between the two countries.

Rawalpindi October 21: General Moeen U Ahmed, Chief of Army Staff Bangladesh Army called on General Tariq Majid, Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee (CJCSC) here at Joint Staff Headquarters, Chaklala; today. He exchanged views with Chairman JCSC focusing on matters of mutual interest, regional security and enhancement of defence ties.
CJCSC, General Tariq Majid highlighted the importance of special relations that exist between Pakistan and Bangladesh, which are characterized by religious affinity and commonality of views. Both expressed satisfaction on the present level of military cooperation between the two countries and stressed to further enhance these ties by holding joint training exercises, training/courses, joint venture in defence production and purchase of defence equipment.
The Bangladesh Chief of Army Staff expressed special interest in purchasing military equipment from Pakistan and asked Pakistan’s assistance for the up gradation of their present fleet of T-59 tanks through joint venture. He also showed interest in obtaining assistance in overhauling of Bangladesh Air Force (BAF) air crafts, holding of Special Forces joint exercises and purchase of communication equipment. General Moeen also proposed to exchange instructors at Staff College level on mutual basis.
Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee wished well to General Moeen and said that Pakistan and Bangladesh share common perception on regional and international issues and emphasized the need to enhance common efforts and cooperation to further develop upon common objectives.

General Moeen U Ahmed, Chief of Army Staff Bangladesh Army called on Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee, General Tariq Majid at Joint Staff Headquarters on Tuesday. (21-10-2008) - Photo ISPR

Rawalpindi , October 21: General Moeen U Ahmed, Chief of Army Staff Bangladesh Army who is on a six day official visit to Pakistan, visited General Headquarters today and called on the Chief of Army Staff, General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani. Both sides agreed to enhance their existing level of defence relationship. They also discussed strategic issues to develop common understanding.
Earlier, on arrival at General Headquarters, General Moeen U Ahmed was presented a guard of honour. He reviewed the parade and took salute from the smartly turned out contingent of Pakistan Army.

:cheers:

General Moeen U Ahmed, Chief of Army Staff Bangladesh Army called on the Chief of Army Staff, General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani at General Headquarters on Tuesday (21-10-08) Photo ISPR

Rawalpindi, October 20: General Moeen U Ahmed, Chief of Army Staff Bangladesh Army arrived here today on a six day official visit to Pakistan.
On arrival at Islamabad International Airport General Moeen U Ahmed was warmly received by senior Pakistan Military officials.
During his stay in Pakistan, Bangladesh Chief of Army Staff is scheduled to meet the senior military leadership of the Armed Forces and visit various defence institutions and organizations.
General Moeen U Ahmed joined Bangladesh Army on 11 January 1975. The distinguished appointments during his Military career, which is spanned over three decades, include Brigade Major of an Infantry Brigade, Commanding Officer of two Infantry Battalions, General Staff Officer-1 (Operation) of Military Operation Directorate, Directing Staff and Chief Instructor of Staff College, Colonel Staff of an Infantry Division, Commander of two Infantry Brigades, Commandant, School of Infantry & Tactics, Defence Advisor of Bangladesh Embassy in Pakistan, Military Secretary and Master General of the Ordnance in Army Headquarters, General Officer Commanding of two Infantry Divisions and Chief of General Staff.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

General Moeen U Ahmed, Chief of Army Staff Bangladesh Army, who is on an official visit to Pakistan, being received by Lieutenant General Shujaat Zamir Dar at Islamabad Airport on Monday. (20-10-2008) – Photo ISPR

I hope that the BD army chief follows up these initiatives in Pakistan with practical policies when he gets back. I doubt that he will have time with elections to be scheduled in December.

i think they need they need there t-59 to make them AL-ZARAR and some army eqepment also been taken by BD army soon

BD needs more tanks. There is never enough. The more the better I say but Bangladesh's real deficiency is in air defense.

I would like to see the Indian perspective on this visit.

well here's one Indian's perspective, frankly speaking this is not cool. Either India is doing something wrong or just isn't doing enough. I don't think India needs another hostile country on its borders. I never really thought of BD as a hostile country and I don't really think it is, similarly I think India is more or less OK with BD. India needs to figure out what is driving BD to arm itself against us, because who else could their build up be aimed at? Not to mention how of all the people they chose our arch rival to collaborate with.

India I guess could always intervene covertly or overtly, but that's usually not the recipe for a long term solution. We should Instead Invite BD to train with us, offer them better deals, pump some money in the economy and maybe ink a couple of trade agreements.

or maybe, since this just occurred to me, he's just over there to buy some old weaponry.

Pakistan, BD army chiefs discuss defence co-operation

* Visiting army chief meets Kayani, Mukhtar, Majid
* Shows interest in Pakistan’s assistance to upgrade Bangladesh’s tanks and aircraft

RAWALPINDI: Bangladesh’s Chief of Army Staff General Moeen U Ahmed met COAS General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani at the General Headquarters (GHQ) on Tuesday.

According to a statement by the Inter-Services Public Relations, both the army chiefs agreed to enhance the existing level of defence relationship between the two countries. They also discussed developing a common understanding on strategic issues.

The Bangladeshi COAS was presented a guard of honour upon arrival at the GHQ.

Gen Ahmed, on a six-day visit to Pakistan, also visited the Defence Ministry and met Defence Minister Ahmed Mukhtar. They exchanged views on the various aspects of bilateral defence co-operation and underscored the need for enhanced interaction between the armed forces of the two countries.

The ministry said in a statement Mukhtar briefed Gen Ahmed on the potential of the defence industry of Pakistan. He highlighted the combat capabilities of JF-17 Thunder aircraft, and the Al-Khalid and Al-Zarrar tanks.

The defence minister offered Bangladesh assistance in the defence sector. The two sides agreed to increase mutual exchanges at different levels and to further strengthen the existing relations for the mutual benefit of the two countires.

Mukhtar informed Gen Ahmed of President Asif Ali Zardari’s recent visit to China. He said the visit was highly fruitful, and the two countries signed agreements to strengthen their strategic partnership and intensify economic, trade and defence co-operation.

The Bangladeshi COAS also called on Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee General Tariq Majid at the Joint Staff Headquarters, Chaklala. The two generals discussed matters of mutual interest, regional security and enhancement of defence ties.

Majid highlighted the importance of the special relations between Pakistan and Bangladesh, characterised by religious affinity and common views.

Both generals expressed satisfaction on the existing level of military co-operation between the two countries and stressed the need to further enhance the ties by holding joint training exercises, joint venture in defence production and the purchase of defence equipment.

Shows interest: Gen Ahmed showed special interest in purchasing military equipment from Pakistan and asked for assistance in upgrading Bangladesh’s fleet of T-59 tanks through a joint venture.

He also showed interest in obtaining assistance in the overhauling of aircraft in the Bangladesh Air Force, the holding of special forces joint exercises and purchase of communication equipment. The Bangladeshi COAS proposed to exchange instructors at staff college level.

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

I would like to see the Indian perspective on this visit.

Well Mr. Munshi,

I see this visit as buying defense equipments for Tanks and communication units. Truly, this purchase will not offset south Asia power of balance. So, i find any worries from Indian side.

Surprisingly I find it interesting that out all the countries to purchase defense equipment. Why is BD picking Pakistan for the Tanks? Maybe you can answer better then I.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom