What's new

Bangladesh working on Russian arms deal

BanglaBhoot

RETIRED TTA
Reaction score
Country
France
Dhaka, Apr 27 (bdnews24.com) — Following an agreement with Russian oil giant Gazprom, Dhaka is trying to hammer out an almost billion-dollar arms deal with Moscow.

"We expect to strike a deal within a month or two," Bangladesh's ambassador to Russia S M Saiful Haque told bdnews24.com.

When asked about the size of the deal, Haque said, "It is close to a billion dollars."

An earlier report in a local Bengali daily said that Dhaka would be purchasing $850 million (Tk 71.4 billion, just over 4 percent of the current national budget) worth of arms and ammunition from Moscow.

The arms deal is expected to be financed through a Russian credit-line but the details were not readily available.

The ambassador refrained from making any comments indicating that a part of the negotiations still revolved around those issues.

Saiful Haque had come to Dhaka with a Gazprom delegation to facilitate the energy deal and left Dhaka on Friday with the delegation.

"Russia is one of our trusted allies and defence cooperation with them is increasing," Haque said before he left Dhaka.

Bangladesh-Russia relationship began to be reinvigorated after the Awami League-led government came to power in 2009 and expanded from defence to nuclear technology to energy exploration.

The ambassador said these were only small steps towards a much stronger cooperation that had much potential.

A parliamentary standing committee report stated that Bangladesh plans to purchase a squadron (16) of advanced training aircraft that will facilitate flying jet fighters and a high powered radar system under a long-term loan protocol from Russia.

Russia, heart of the former Soviet Republic, played a key role in Bangladesh's liberation in 1971, exercised its veto power thrice at the United Nations on Dec 11, 12 and 14 in 1971, which paved the way for Bangladesh's independence.

Moscow also helped clear the mines of Chittagong port after liberation and assisted the Bangladesh's energy sector in the early 70's.

Bangladesh working on Russian arms deal | Bangladesh | bdnews24.com

Dhaka, Apr 27 (bdnews24.com) — Following an agreement with Russian oil giant Gazprom, Dhaka is trying to hammer out an almost billion-dollar arms deal with Moscow.

"We expect to strike a deal within a month or two," Bangladesh's ambassador to Russia S M Saiful Haque told bdnews24.com.

When asked about the size of the deal, Haque said, "It is close to a billion dollars."

An earlier report in a local Bengali daily said that Dhaka would be purchasing $850 million (Tk 71.4 billion, just over 4 percent of the current national budget) worth of arms and ammunition from Moscow.

The arms deal is expected to be financed through a Russian credit-line but the details were not readily available.

The ambassador refrained from making any comments indicating that a part of the negotiations still revolved around those issues.

Saiful Haque had come to Dhaka with a Gazprom delegation to facilitate the energy deal and left Dhaka on Friday with the delegation.

"Russia is one of our trusted allies and defence cooperation with them is increasing," Haque said before he left Dhaka.

Bangladesh-Russia relationship began to be reinvigorated after the Awami League-led government came to power in 2009 and expanded from defence to nuclear technology to energy exploration.

The ambassador said these were only small steps towards a much stronger cooperation that had much potential.

A parliamentary standing committee report stated that Bangladesh plans to purchase a squadron (16) of advanced training aircraft that will facilitate flying jet fighters and a high powered radar system under a long-term loan protocol from Russia.

Russia, heart of the former Soviet Republic, played a key role in Bangladesh's liberation in 1971, exercised its veto power thrice at the United Nations on Dec 11, 12 and 14 in 1971, which paved the way for Bangladesh's independence.

Moscow also helped clear the mines of Chittagong port after liberation and assisted the Bangladesh's energy sector in the early 70's.

Bangladesh working on Russian arms deal | Bangladesh | bdnews24.com

interesting part ^^'

as trainers?

...I think SU-35 :coffee:

LOL not even russia uses them as fighters. They are still being developed. Only russian acrobatic team uses them

But i hope it's Su 30MKB(Modernizirovannyi Kommercheskiy Bangladesh)

Now insh allah we will get Su-30 beside Yak-130 and Mig or Jas Insh Allah. When BNP will be in power, Insh Allah we will get J-10B. Then we will have each squadron or more of Su-30, Yak 130, Mis-29 or Jas Grippen and J-10B. And as an intercepter we already have F-7BG and F-7BGI. Alhamdulillah I hope Allah will make this happen Insh Allah. I just got this idea reading all the articles. I could be wrong. I hope bd becomes succesful insh allah buying these fighter jets. Anyone wants to correct me and give their idea?

So SU-30's will be used to fight with SU-30's of India and Myanmar? Will they not already have inbuilt counter-measures?

So SU-30's will be used to fight with SU-30's of India and Myanmar? Will they not already have inbuilt counter-measures?

bro I was just guessing reading all the ariticles. It will be suicidal for bangladesh to put all eggs in the same basket.

I hope we don't get any more Mig rather Jas Grippen.

Instead of getting all the migsorjas and sukhoi is it really expensive for bangladesh to get EuroFighter or RaFael one squadron beside one Squadron of Sukhoi-30

i guess BD can get JF-17 from China right.... then why to go for su-30 when you can get 2 JF-17 with one su030 price tag...

sorry I thought you were trolling

We need western fighter when BNP comes, we'll look toward east

i just asked one small doubt.... JF-17 comes with low cost..... why you are going for su-30... what kinda advantage su-30 will give to BD, Myanmar,India,China every one have sukhoi already.... and coming to rafael/ Typhoon very expensive fighters for BD.

I think bd going for technologically more advance aircraft for now.

or one squadron of jas and one squadron of eurofighter or Rafael?

Iqnore indians

instead of getting bunch of fighters isn't it smart to get less but better quality fighters bd bros? And SU-30 should be there because it is highly effective.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom