What's new

Bangladesh to get US naval ship as gift

I wonder what will be the designation of this boat? At 3250 ton it will be the heaviest of all the ships in the BN. So, by this it should be designated as a Frigate. Or will it be a Corvette because it will have less teeth?

I think it'll not have less teeth after refurbishment compared to other frigates of BN hence designation as frigate would be perfect.

This ship will be refitted with armaments in Bangladesh, armaments will come from China.

it will be frigate , bangladesh also buying frigates from china and South Korea.

Please check the wiki link @Loki posted to see if the future weapons installations will satisfy the criteria of a frigate. I myself have very little knowledge about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please check the wiki link @Loki posted to see if the future weapons installations will satisfy the criteria of a frigate. I myself have very little knowledge about this.

It certainly will. Pretty much the same weapons that will be fitted in the two ships coming from China.

Last edited by a moderator:
it will be frigate, maybe it will be modified with 1 AK–176M main gun, 2x Type 730B CIWS,, 1×8 FM-90N SAM launcher, 2×4 C-802A or C-803 SSM launchers, 2× 3 torpedo launchers, 2×6 asw anti-submarine rockets & ASW helicopter on board. :coffee:

Doesn't look cool or slick. But if it fits our needs then why not. On top of that its free.

This ship was built in 1972. What left in it that you want to fit modern stuff in it? First we need to find the age left in this ship before spending anything else. USA itself will overhaul the ship so that it can be operated as a war ship. I dont think it will go to China anytime soon.

As someone pointed out this ship went under complete overhauling in 1990 and it is under overhauling now too. So, I guess its reasonable to say though the ship is of 1972 but it will have a service life of 20 years at least. And there is adequate space and provision to equip this ship with AShM, SAM, torpedoes etc. So, we better gear up the ship with whatever teeth we can. Afterall we dont have many ships presently that can house AShM, SAM's etc.

It ain't free. You get a 40 year old hull and you pay us to make it "seaworthy" again. That will probably cost you north of $10 million dollars. The same thing with the Philippines, they got 2 cutters and they paid for the refit, also same with the PNS Alamgir.

It ain't free. You get a 40 year old hull and you pay us to make it "seaworthy" again. That will probably cost you north of $10 million dollars. The same thing with the Philippines, they got 2 cutters and they paid for the refit, also same with the PNS Alamgir.

Ok we will pay 10 million dollars. And USA will only give us Hull with engine! No sensors no armaments?

What kind of friendly relation is this?

Ok we will pay 10 million dollars. And USA will only give us Hull with engine! No sensors no armaments?

What kind of friendly relation is this?

A ton of steel scraps cost about $200, a ton of smelted steel may cost $600 and a ton of fabricated steel may not cost more than $4000. So, a 3250 ton of fabricated steel ship hull may not cost 3250 x $4000 = $13million. So, a price of $10m is perfect. hen, of course, the engine prices shoukd be added. So, we can assume that USA has gifted us the engines for free.

However, the ship is not that free because BN may have to spend another $50 million or more to refurbish the ship with new weapons.

A ton of steel scraps cost about $200, a ton of smelted steel may cost $600 and a ton of fabricated steel may not cost more than $4000. So, a 3250 ton of fabricated steel ship hull may not cost 3250 x $4000 = $13million. So, a price of $10m is perfect. hen, of course, the engine prices shoukd be added. So, we can assume that USA has gifted us the engines for free.

However, the ship is not that free because BN may have to spend another $50 million or more to refurbish the ship with new weapons.

We are paying for GIFT! USA will take 10 million dollar and call it as a gift?

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom