What's new

Bangladesh to get own Taj Mahal

Replica of Taj Mahal draws thousands of viewers daily

BSS, Dhaka
A giant replica of Taj Mahal in suburban Sonargaon opened earlier this week now draws thousands of viewers everyday with its builder saying he constructed the structure out of his respect for legendary Mughal Emperor Shahjahan.

"I took the initiative to pay honour to Emperor Shahjahan and enable the ordinary people of our country including students to have an idea how magnificent the structure is," businessman Ahsanullah Moni, who carried the entire cost of building the life size structure, told BSS.

"I built it as most of our people can't afford to take a trip to Agra to see the heritage despite their dreams to see it."

He said it took several hundred of workers and designers some seven years to build the "Taj Mahal" at a cost of Taka 400 crore, which was opened for all in exchange of entry fees though "it is not built with a commercial purpose".

The replica, located 30 km (18 miles) off Dhaka city, which he called "Banglar Taj Mahal", has been built on over four acres of land while the complex was much bigger in size to accommodate a five-star motel, a huge film studio and an amusement park.

Moni, a filmmaker and hotelier, said the idea of building the structure first stroke his mind when he first visited Agra in 1980 while he made six more trips there to realise his plan to replicate it.

But the initiative simultaneously drew some criticism with several legal experts and architects saying copying of such landmarks keeping the original sizes were contrary to archeological laws.

"It's also not morally acceptable to build such life size structures without permission of the concerned authorities," president of Bangladesh Architects Institute Professor Mobaswar Hossain said.

But Moni rejected the allegation saying despite being huge the "Banglar Taj Mahal" was not exactly the same size of the original while he used different materials including stones for the replica considering their weather suitability.

He said he imported marble and granite from Italy, diamonds from Belgium and used 160 kilogrammes of bronze for the structure built with the help of modern technology.

"Otherwise it would have taken 20 years and 22,000 workers to complete it as the original structure had required," Moni said.

Emperor Shahjahan built Taj mahal in memory of his beloved wife Momtaj Mahal who died during childbirth in 17th century, when Bangladesh was part of the Mughal Empire.

The New Nation - Internet Edition

Silly thing to do........money would have been better spent building a hospital/school.

Yes ,you are right .I also feel the same specially when you need those .

anyway ,I guess they can use the money earned from that .Not sure how much time will it take to get 58 millions first .

I have seen that. Congrats to our Bangladeshi brothers and sisters. It has already attracted many visitors. It would become a tourist spot. Good work.

by watching the fake one, LOL, IMAO this looks the same like the bollywood copies of hollywood movies, this results when u cheat!!, LOL!!, squeezed taj mehal!!, damn its minarets r very much wider in diameter and the doom is too squeezed to the bottom!!, and pink colour, LOL!!! and please remove the palm trees!!, they just look so weird in the BG!!

this taj looks really beautiful but there r certain major structural flaws, i just meant tht, cheers Bangladeshis u ppl have done splendid job, really appreciate that!!

i have great admiration for taj mehal, it is indeed a wonder, a symbol of eternal beauty!!!

and i second the Robin234's point, taj doesnt go down nicely not tasting tht good comparing to indian taj , but, its indeed really beautiful!!

Last edited:
by watching the fake one, LOL, IMAO this looks the same like the bollywood copies of hollywood movies, this results when u cheat!!, LOL!!, squeezed taj mehal!!, damn its minarets r very much wider in diameter and the doom is too squeezed to the bottom!!, and pink colour, LOL!!! and please remove the palm trees!!, they just look so weird in the BG!!

actually now i have great admiration for taj mehal, it is indeed a wonder, a symbol of eternal beauty!!!

IMO ,you should appreciate what they have made,but I do agree that if its is compared with original Taj ,then it doesn't look that nice .

Longer version of Bd Taj video. Mr. Ahsanullah Moni also present in this video. I think his quest will pay off....Please take a look at the links bellow. Thanks

New Taj Mahal opens in Bangladesh | Video | Reuters.com

thx it's very good no doubt but why did they make it pinkish ? don't think it looks as good as the real one in india the garden is not as nice and it looks too thin and short.But still in it's own right it's very good and many congrats :enjoy:

Good for BD,Congrats and i think u will get many tourists from this.

from the pictures it looks more like a Insult to The Taj and shah Jahan. If they had to copy , at least do a good job of it.

from the pictures it looks more like a Insult to The Taj and shah Jahan. If they had to copy , at least do a good job of it.

Well it is a pirated copy of the Taj. It can never be as good.

But at least it gives the idea and the people can always visit the real one when they can afford it or grow to it.

There are many replica of Taj Mahal and mini toy type Taj Mahal is sold at shops everywhere from India to Pakistan.
I have seen even plastic ones being sold. IMHO there is no element of insult in this case.

The real insult is when the real Taj Mahal rapidly started turning yellow due to pollution and when Shiv Sena activists misuse it.

There are many replica of Taj Mahal and mini toy type Taj Mahal is sold at shops everywhere from India to Pakistan.
I have seen even plastic ones being sold. IMHO there is no element of insult in this case.

Those toys and replicas we get here too and it's the decoration of many homes , including mine.

But a life size replica like that should have been made much better , madam tussads replicas are never an insult to anyone because they're actually really good.

I just feel that the builder , if he is such a millionaire should have built it more whole-heartedly and tried to replicate the magic of the taj , which leaves many spell bound at first site through the darwaza . It's an amazing experience.

I would just hate it if people saw this replica and assumed that the taj is close to it or this is how the taj would be be , that would be a real shame.

Anyway Survivir - you have your opinion and I respect that.

Those toys and replicas we get here too and it's the decoration of many homes , including mine.

But a life size replica like that should have been made much better , madam tussads replicas are never an insult to anyone because they're actually really good.

I just feel that the builder , if he is such a millionaire should have built it more whole-heartedly and tried to replicate the magic of the taj , which leaves many spell bound at first site through the darwaza . It's an amazing experience.

I would just hate it if people saw this replica and assumed that the taj is close to it or this is how the taj would be be , that would be a real shame.

Anyway Survivir - you have your opinion and I respect that.

Frankly the guy who has built it did it with all his heart and soul this what i felt by watching reports by TV channels. He has put alot of money into it.

The great thing about this replica i feel is idea behind it. It gives the visitors smiles, hope and happines. As long as something spread love and smiles and does not harm anyone i feel it is great service and not Insult.

thumb up for Bangladeshis :tup:

I hope this helps Bangladesh's economy via tourism like it was envisioned to, call me crazy but I don't see that happening.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom