What's new

Bangladesh to export 2080 tonnes of ilish to India

bluesky

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh

Bangladesh to export 2080 tonnes of ilish to India
FE ONLINE REPORT | Published: September 20, 2021 17:32:29 | Updated: September 20, 2021 21:06:05
File photo used for representation purpose (Collected)
File photo used for representation purpose (Collected)

The government has allowed the export of the highest 2080 tonnes of ilish (Hilsa) to neighbouring India ahead of Durga Puja, the biggest religious festival of the Hindu community.
The commerce ministry on Monday gave special permission to 52 traders against 118 applications until September 15, 2021.

The traders have to follow the Export policy-2018-21. The physical examination must be done by the customs authority concerned. The permission will remain effective until October 10, 2021.
Usually, there remains a higher demand for delicious ilish fish in India especially in West Bengal during the annual religious festival.

Nearly 200 people applied for permission to export ilish in 2020. Of them, only nine got the export facility, he added. In September 2020, the government allowed the export of 1,475 tonnes of hilsa to India as a gesture of goodwill on the occasion of Durga Puja.

In 2019, the government gave permission to export 500 tonnes of ilish during Durga Puja.
Ilish export has remained suspended since 2012.

rezamumu@gmail.com

It will be at least 3000 - 3500 Indian rupee a Kg.

Between what I know this happened to curb the pdama Illish coming illegally to West Bengal Market which is sold at 2000 rupee a Kg. Govt is losing its revenue on it.

Of course without Hasina, Indians would never have gotten this favor.

In spite of Indians financially screwing us over in every which way imaginable over the last five decades.

Thanks to Hasina-ji, more invitation to screw us over given to Indians now. :-)

So Kanjoos Indians can buy one Hilsa and divide it among four families.

And every Bangladeshi will find Hilsa much dearer to buy.

You can thank Hasina and you are welcome...

This 2,800 ton Hiksha will bring us at least 250 crore Taka worth of dollars. We have to eat but we also have to stop overeating, and export.

After all, it is Durga Puja in Kolkata. They need our support. We should be generous.

I have to try this fish sometime. Any Canadian can suggest authentic non veg Bengali restaurant in Toronto?

I have to try this fish sometime. Any Canadian can suggest authentic non veg Bengali restaurant in Toronto?

Are you based in Toronto? Outside Toronto most likely you won't get ilish.

You can try Chawk Bazaar, Adda, Gharoa in Scarborough, Premium Sweets in Mississauga and also Scarborough. They do have ilish in their menu. Not sure if it's available always.

Can't stand the stuff

Too many bad memories of fish bones getting stuck in my throat as a child, and vomiting afterwards

To all those who claim BD cuisine is nothing but fish and rice, I never even touch fish with a 10ft bamboo pole. Yet I still rate BD cuisine as among the finest in the world, though a lot of it's kinda an acquired taste (spicy, overwhelmingly complex flavor-wise)

I've heard Hilsha or Ilish are very expensive in West Bengal? Don't get why people go crazy for that stuff! In the west, we (as in my fam) are left to buy them in frozen form. The original flavor is lacking, so it's a dulled-down experience.

More close to the topic, isn't Bangladeshi aquaculture on the whole (not sure if Ilish fits in this category) doing quite well? High-end agriculture with high-profit margins.

Yes it’s next month, but I’m a vegetarian so don’t know much about fishes😃.

It's a mendatory item in thali during Puja in Bengal to have Ilish fish in it. Bangladeshi Ilish from Padma river is the most delicious and demanded Ilish in the world.

Esp. Bangal Hindus of West Bengal who migrated from Bangladesh during partition consider Bangladeshi Ilish fish as part of their culture and a must have item in Durga Puja festival.
Can't stand the stuff

Too many bad memories of fish bones getting stuck in my throat as a child, and vomiting afterwards

To all those who claim BD cuisine is nothing but fish and rice, I never even touch fish with a 10ft bamboo pole. Yet I still rate BD cuisine as among the finest in the world, though a lot of it's kinda an acquired taste (spicy, overwhelmingly complex flavor-wise)

I've heard Hilsha or Ilish are very expensive in West Bengal? Don't get why people go crazy for that stuff! In the west, we (as in my fam) are left to buy them in frozen form. The original flavor is lacking, so it's a dulled-down experience.

More close to the topic, isn't Bangladeshi aquaculture on the whole (not sure if Ilish fits in this category) doing quite well? High-end agriculture with high-profit margins.

Bangladeshi cuisine is not all about fish and rice. Indian and Bangladeshi recipes are similar. Indians use so much masala / spices but Bangladeshis use less masala gravy in dishes.

Last edited:

All Bangladeshi restaurants are non-Veg. :lol:

Kolkata Hindu Dadas don't open veg restaurants, too busy doing back-office work and too much work of them anyway...
Can't stand the stuff

Bangladesh is one of the top freshwater aquaculture leaders globally. It ranked at the head of the list globally - bagging the second position among the highest fish producing countries in the world. Annually something like 45,00,000 Metric tonnes of catch.

However sea-fishing is still in its infancy and trawler fleet is small.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom