What's new

Bangladesh to export 2080 tonnes of ilish to India

I know that Hilsha cannot be cultivated like other freshwater fish (or so i have been told).
Maybe that's the reason there isn't enough Hilsha for consumption. Fishing is regulated strictly (as it should be) .

apparently 2kg Padma Ilish is 3000 INR (£29 /$40 ) in kolkata fish markets.

Last edited:
I know that Hilsha cannot be cultivated like other freshwater fish (or so i have been told).
Maybe that's the reason there isn't enough Hilsha for consumption. Fishing is regulated strictly (as it should be) .

apparently 2kg Padma Ilish is 3000 INR (£29 /$40 ) in kolkata fish markets.

Wow! No wonder four families divide one Ilish in Kolkata. Quite pricey!

Yes it’s next month, but I’m a vegetarian so don’t know much about fishes😃.
What kind of vegetarian are you? Are you a Sadhu or from a Sadhu family? As far as I know, Bengali Hindu vegetarians eat all kinds of meats like chicken, goats as well as fish.

Am I wrong?

What kind of vegetarian are you? Are you a Sadhu or from a Sadhu family? As far as I know, Bengali Hindu vegetarians eat all kinds of meats like chicken, goats as well as fish.

Am I wrong?
Don’t know about Bengalis, but vegetarian means the one who does not consume meat and egg in any form.

All Bangladeshi restaurants are non-Veg. :lol:

Kolkata Hindu Dadas don't open veg restaurants, too busy doing back-office work and too much work of them anyway...

Bangladesh is one of the top freshwater aquaculture leaders globally. It ranked at the head of the list globally - bagging the second position among the highest fish producing countries in the world. Annually something like 45,00,000 Metric tonnes of catch.

However sea-fishing is still in its infancy and trawler fleet is small.

I am talking about Bengali. Not Bangladeshi in particular. The place where I am, there is a vegetarian Bengali restaurant which is quite popular for your kind info.
Are you based in Toronto? Outside Toronto most likely you won't get ilish.

You can try Chawk Bazaar, Adda, Gharoa in Scarborough, Premium Sweets in Mississauga and also Scarborough. They do have ilish in their menu. Not sure if it's available always.

I have tried Bengali sweets in Scarborough near to Samosa King. Kinda one of my fav. Someone from Mississauga got us sweet boxes from Premium sweets and I liked it. I thought they are vegetarian as well.

I will try the first 3. Thanks mate.

Illish's craze is dying with time. I used to eat Illish in past, I no longer eat them, they just taste like any other fishes. We have too many alternative fishes now. Bangladeshis sell fish to India and comes for shopping at kolkata with that money during this time of the year. Maybe things have improved in Bangladesh in recent times but in past, Selling fish to India was their only foreign exchange earning.

Maybe things have improved in Bangladesh in recent times but in past, Selling fish to India was their only foreign exchange earning.
Who told you this small story of Hilsha export as the sole source of dollar earnings for Bangladesh or east Pakistan?

However, a huge amount of export was done from Goalondo Ghat during the British time that stopped sometime in the early '50s.

Who told you this small story of Hilsha export as the sole source of dollar earnings for Bangladesh or east Pakistan?

However, a huge amount of export was done from Goalondo Ghat during the British time that stopped sometime in the early '50s.

Amar kisu bolar nai. Ullu-ke-Patha ar kake boley...eibar buijha lon, bhakt ki dhoron er buddhi niya choley...dadara Ilish khaitey khaitey amader GDP baraya disey... :lol:

Ektu Ilish Chekhey Dekhun Dada - Hasina pathiyechhey amader jonno...

Hilsa fish is now in Kolkata's markets. Hilsa exported from Bangladesh has been selling in the wholesale and retail markets of West Bengal since last week. In the first phase, Bangladesh allowed 52 companies to export 2,080 metric tons or more than 2 million kg of hilsa, three days after it was announced that 63 more companies would export 2,500 metric tons of hilsa to India. But before going into the extent of the diplomatic relations between the two countries, what is the reason for the interest of Kolkata people in this hilsa business?

Ektu Ilish Chekhey Dekhun Dada - Hasina pathiyechhey amader jonno...

Hilsa fish is now in Kolkata's markets. Hilsa exported from Bangladesh has been selling in the wholesale and retail markets of West Bengal since last week. In the first phase, Bangladesh allowed 52 companies to export 2,080 metric tons or more than 2 million kg of hilsa, three days after it was announced that 63 more companies would export 2,500 metric tons of hilsa to India. But before going into the extent of the diplomatic relations between the two countries, what is the reason for the interest of Kolkata people in this hilsa business?

Now, @pikkuboss will be forced to eat Hilish two times a day.

Ilish is an overrated crap. The taste have been ruined thanks to pollution and other factors. Didn’t enjoy them at all. good if this earns some money abroad. Not good if Hasina is selling them for less than a bd person would pay for it.
man even rohu sucked *** this year. Never seen so much fish bones in rohu until this year. Plastic pollutions is making fishes evolve eh

Rohu (Rui) fish curry is actually more delicious than Ilish. The taste of Ilish is not same as before. It's not that delicious anymore.

West Bengal has a huge population who migrated from Bangladesh during India's partition. These "Bangal" Bangalis still love Bangladeshi Ilish so much.

Bangladeshis actually eat Rohu fish more.

Ilish is an overrated crap. The taste have been ruined thanks to pollution and other factors. Didn’t enjoy them at all. good if this earns some money abroad. Not good if Hasina is selling them for less than a bd person would pay for it.
man even rohu sucked *** this year. Never seen so much fish bones in rohu until this year. Plastic pollutions is making fishes evolve eh

For me a nice robust chunky wild-caught salmon filet will do, almost the size of a porterhouse steak.

For folks who live in the US - you can buy these filets refrigerated at Costco, not frozen, as freezing destroys the fresh taste. If you aren't as parsnickety as I am, you can buy frozen salmon filets at Trader Joes as well.

Adding mustard to it (grey poupon mustard will do in a pinch) almost equals the shorshey Ilish taste. And NO BONES!

I know some of you guys are not fish-bone fans, ditto here.

iu

Back
Top Bottom