ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Bangladesh setting up 7 new land ports with Northeast India
Ali Asif Shawon
  • Published at 11:43 pm August 26th, 2021
Sonamasjid land port

File photo of Sonamasjid land port entranceDhaka Tribune

Trade with India’s Seven Sisters will get a boost
Bangladesh is working to set up good land connectivity with the northeastern part of India’s Seven Sisters - an administrative division of India comprising eight states.

To this end at least seven land ports are being set up with Assam, Meghalaya and Tripura.

Already Bangladesh has five land ports with Tripura, Meghalaya and Assam of India. Among them, Nakugaon and Tamabil land ports connect Bangladesh with Meghalaya; Akhaura and Bibirbazar land ports connect Bangladesh with Tripura; and Sonahat land port connects with Dhubri in Assam.

According to Bangladesh Land Port Authority officials, the upcoming land ports with India will boost trade, commerce and connectivity with Seven Sisters states, especially with Assam, Tripura and Meghalaya.

Khalid Mahmud Chowdhury, state minister for Shipping, on Thursday told Dhaka Tribune: “These land ports will boost our regional connectivity, trade and commerce.”

Also Read - 40 ambulances gifted by India arrive in Bangladesh

“Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina formed the Land Port Authority in 2001 when she was prime minister in her first term. Before that we did not officially have any land port, we only had some duty collection stations,” the state minister added.

Khalid said: “Our aim is to boost secure and disciplined business with neighbouring countries. When the construction work of these land ports is completed it will help develop our national economy.”

Replying to a question, the minister said: “India will also benefit from these land ports. Also, these land ports will strengthen our friendship with the neighbouring country.”

The new land ports will benefit India very much because the northeastern part of India is geographically difficult for other Indian states to reach.

So, if India gets transshipment through these land ports from Bangladesh in future, it will boost the development of India’s Seven Sisters states

Bangladesh will also benefit from these land ports by exporting daily necessities and goods.

webp-net-compress-image-1629999870455.jpg

Locations of the 7 ports

Construction work of all of the above-mentioned land ports is currently underway and the construction process has gained momentum recently, according to the officials.

Officials say Belonia land port will connect Bangladesh’s Feni district with the Belonia district of Tripura.

The Sheola land port will connect Sylhet’s Beanibazar with Sutarkandi area of Karimganj district of Assam.

Balla land port of Chunarughat of Habiganj will connect with Paharmura in Khowai district of Tripura.

Bholaganj land port will connect Companiganj upazila of Sylhet with Cherapunji of Meghalaya.

Also Read - Banned Indian drugs worth 30L seized at Benapole

Gobrakura-Koroitoli land port of Haluaghat of Mymensingh will connect Gasuapara of Meghalaya with Bangladesh.

Dhanua Kamalpur land port will connect Jamalpur with Mahendraganj of Ampati district in Meghalaya.

Ramgarh land port of Khagrachari will connect with Sabrum of Tripura.

In addition, Tegamukh land port of Barkal, Rangamati will connect Mizoram of India with Bangladesh but this land port’s construction has been halted due to political instability in the region, said officials on condition of anonymity.

Sources said that both Bangladesh and India had agreed to strengthen connectivity with the northeastern part of India after discussions at several high-level meetings.

Good decision. Bangladesh should be the pivot for Northeast India. Helps to wean them away from mainland India.

Hello @Protest_again, it seems now good quality BD products will engulf your NE.
The more regional trade interpendence, the better it is for relations.
This will bring India and BD closer to EU style free movement of goods and people.
Good decision. Bangladesh should be the pivot for Northeast India. Helps to wean them away from mainland India.
In fact, this wiil bring India and BD closer. We should work towards a future where India - BD border can be as open as India - Nepal.

Hello @Protest_again, it seems now good quality BD products will engulf your NE.
Engulf with good quality products. Lol. Were you under a cave last few years? What is majority party in NE? Who won in Assam?

How the BJP is consolidating the Northeast

Make sure quite the opposite doesn't happen. India will export more mark my words. They want to increase manufacturing in NE and dump it in to nearest market.

You can bet on more trade deficit with India.

Last edited:

Entire NE economy is already dependent on Bangladesh economy. They supply our industrial inputs, like lumber, Bamboo, Stone, agri products and produce...

Entire NE economy is already dependent on Bangladesh economy. They supply our industrial inputs, like lumber, Bamboo, Stone, agri products and produce...
Lots of anti-Bengali sentiment in northeastern groups. Ideally Bengalis should flood all of the seven sisters states.

Engulf with good quality products. Lol. Were you under a cave last few years? What is majority party in NE? Who won in Assam?

How the BJP is consolidating the Northeast

Make sure quite the opposite doesn't happen. India will export more mark my words. They want to increase manufacturing in NE and dump it in to nearest market.

You can bet on more trade deficit with India.
No, the opposite is happening already. Tripura depends upon us, Mizoram already rebelled against Delhi asking BD help. Some Meghalaya people want to be part of BD.

No one likes Delhi as well as Assam. Also, western Assam people in Dhubri want to secede. So, what will really happen to your NE is a matter of speculation. And now, it is BD products that will take over your NE.

No, the opposite is happening already. Tripura depends upon us, Mizoram already rebelled against Delhi asking BD help. Some Meghalaya people want to be part of BD.

No one likes Delhi as well as Assam. Also, western Assam people in Dhubri want to secede. So, what will really happen to your NE is a matter of speculation. And now, it is BD products that will take over your NE.
Lol. It's fine I don't want to argue about someone's wishful thinking. We can wait and see. I don't think NE is big enough market for lungis and chaddis.

Lol. It's fine I don't want to argue about someone's wishful thinking. We can wait and see. I don't think NE is big enough market for lungis and chaddis.
After all, the Indian NE region remains poor without much purchasing power. However, with the opening of new border trade points, awareness of high-quality products will rise and the situation will change.

In exchange for our manufactured goods, the NE can supply us limestones, timbers, and many others that have quite a demand in BD.

After all, the Indian NE region remains poor without much purchasing power. However, with the opening of new border trade points, awareness of high-quality products will rise and the situation will change.

In exchange for our manufactured goods, the NE can supply us limestones, timbers, and many others that have quite a demand in BD.

I don't like to make circular arguments. BJP would never open up NE states unless there was trade to be made. I am yet to see superior BD products except may be for chaddis, that you stitch for western brands. But sure, you can tell what you want. I will make my further points when I have the trade numbers in a year from now. Bangladesh trade deficit with India this year is going to be a record $10 billion. I am sure with this opening it will be even further next year. Enjoy.

I don't like to make circular arguments. BJP would never open up NE states unless there was trade to be made. I am yet to see superior BD products except may be for chaddis, that you stitch for western brands. But sure, you can tell what you want. I will make my further points when I have the trade numbers in a year from now. Bangladesh trade deficit with India this year is going to be a record $10 billion. I am sure with this opening it will be even further next year. Enjoy.
Bangladeshi products will first enter through the new 7 openings though the GoI will impose a few restrictions. When our internationally recognized goods are accepted by the NE people the GoI can no more stop the NE from importing them because otherwise there will be a consumer movement in the NE.

By the way, your great Satanic PM Modi and all his party leaders were talking about west Bengal trying to become part of Bangladesh. So, what is your take on this kind of statement?

Is west Bengal really trying to merge with BD? If it happens what happens to your NE?

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom