What's new

Bangladesh retracts assurances given to Gilani, Hina.

I am pleasantly surprised by India's decision to not oppose the EU move - my comment was directed more towards specific members who had been arguing against preferential trade access for Pakistan and/or protectionist moves by Pakistan against imports from India to protect local industry.

My point is that I see some of these members cheering the Bangladesh decision to deny Pakistan preferential access to the EU, and justifying their support by arguing that 'Bangladesh has every right to protect its interests'. These same members were also very critical of the GoI and MMS for approving the EU move.

You made a statement earlier about BD having lower traffic rates vs. Pakistan to EU. Could you please show me where the rates are discussed (article)? I would like to know this for my personal knowledge.

I thought tariff rates are set up by each countries deal with others. So negotiating a good deal is incumbent on the two countries. can you blame BD for doing a better job than Pak on the rates?

If I understand correctly of what Pakistan is asking on this deal, is not a reduction to match BD rates, rather ZERO tariffs. IF So, then no- it is not any Indian posters hypocrisy to side with BD on this.

Bangaldesh enjoys zero duty access to European market and Pakistan enjoys reduced 15% duty access.
Again Pakistan ejoys 5% duty in USA market whereas Bangladesh pays 15% in that market. But problem is Pakistan still cant compete with BD in USA market.

So I doubt reduction of trariff in EU market will significantly improve the competitiveness of Pakistani products. Pakistan should better work on productivity of that sector. You could come up with electricity shortage whereas BD faces even more shortages. In last 2 years govt did not approve a single new connection and rationing electricity all across the country. Situation improved now with new power station came to live.

Back
Top Bottom