What's new

Bangladesh retracts assurances given to Gilani, Hina.

well they dont need to work much harder since their garments are usually cheaper priced to begin with

that's why some Pakistani garment manufacturers are setting up shop and expanding in Bangladesh
The lower duties are a huge incentive for Pakistani textile industry to relocate to BD, along with the energy costs and consistency.

But weren't Indians earlier protesting against Pakistani arguments of Pakistan having 'preferential trade access to the EU/European markets'?

Dear Sir,

You being one of my favorites here,I humbly ask;didn't we remove our EU opposition to preferential trade in relation to Pakistan?What about your MFN granted to India? nobody knows....yet we hold firm to our position which we granted since the 90s.Ball is in your court broz..

very true; actually, some of this off-shoring is no new phenomenon it's been going on since early-mid 2000s

but from a purely ''accounting'' perspective, it suits Pakistan to have such trade done VIA Pakistan

Pakistan is a direct competitor of Bangladesh. It does make sense for them. The trade volume of both the nation is more or less same. India has huge trade volume so doesn't make much of a difference to India but for bangaladesh and pakistan the TARGET MARKET SEGMENT is same .

but from a purely ''accounting'' perspective, it suits Pakistan to have such trade done VIA Pakistan

And purely 'accounting'' perspectives leaves the Pakistani business community with what?....better off selling subsidized cement to India I'll say...

are we talking in terms of GDP or in terms of GNP?

(it matters here)

Dear Sir,

You being one of my favorites here,I humbly ask;didn't we remove our EU opposition to preferential trade in relation to Pakistan?What about your MFN granted to India? nobody knows....yet we hold firm to our position which we granted since the 90s.Ball is in your court broz..
I am pleasantly surprised by India's decision to not oppose the EU move - my comment was directed more towards specific members who had been arguing against preferential trade access for Pakistan and/or protectionist moves by Pakistan against imports from India to protect local industry.

My point is that I see some of these members cheering the Bangladesh decision to deny Pakistan preferential access to the EU, and justifying their support by arguing that 'Bangladesh has every right to protect its interests'. These same members were also very critical of the GoI and MMS for approving the EU move.

I am pleasantly surprised by India's decision to not oppose the EU move - my comment was directed more towards specific members who had been arguing against preferential trade access for Pakistan and/or protectionist moves by Pakistan against imports from India to protect local industry.

My point is that I see some of these members cheering the Bangladesh decision to deny Pakistan preferential access to the EU, and justifying their support by arguing that 'Bangladesh has every right to protect its interests'. These same members were also very critical of the GoI and MMS for approving the EU move.

I am not convinced why MMS has supported Pakistan for EU concessions. I am a firm believer that you go more than half way but you expect the other side to reciprocate. MFN status for example is neither here nor there. India on the other hand does not change its stand inspite of Pakistan's flip flops. India also voted for Pakistan in the UN. I would expect Pakistan to reciprocate. Till that does not happen, India should look out for its own interests.

I am not convinced why MMS has supported Pakistan for EU concessions. I am a firm believer that you go more than half way but you expect the other side to reciprocate. MFN status for example is neither here nor there. India on the other hand does not change its stand inspite of Pakistan's flip flops. India also voted for Pakistan in the UN. I would expect Pakistan to reciprocate. Till that does not happen, India should look out for its own interests.
I have no problems with arguments that call for concessions, on either side, to be the result of some sort of 'quid pro quo' - my criticizm is specifically directed towards some members, whose arguments I referenced in my post.

Even if Pakistan grants MFN trade status to India then would it make any differences? I don't think so. The reason is Pakistan will continue to maintain its so-called Positive and Negative Lists when it comes to trade with India. As we know negative list permits Pakistan to continue its 'Blanket Ban' from importing nearly 2000 items from India. And Pakistan's complain over non-tariff barriers of India is not firm since unlike Pakistan's Negative list India's Non-tariff barriers is not directed to Pakistan but whole world.

Back
Top Bottom