What's new

Bangladesh proposes procurement of high-end military equipment from US

The Ronin

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
US officials in Dhaka confirmed the matter on Thursday

Bangladesh has placed a proposal to procure high-end military equipment from the United States (US).

US officials in Dhaka confirmed the matter on Thursday.

Equipment that Bangladesh has expressed interest to procure includes combat aircraft, missiles and attack helicopters.

The US officials also said their country is ready to entertain Bangladesh’s request and negotiations are underway regarding two agreements that need to be signed in this regard.

https://www.dhakatribune.com/bangla...rement-of-high-end-military-equipment-from-us

Good

BD military going in the right direction

but I am surprised

why not purchase Chinese equipment ? is US reliable supplier of spare part and other components in the event of war ?

F 16 incoming In Sha Allah??

Guys go for the F-18 superhornet, great planes perfect for maritime strike and patrolling.
Hope to see a strong BAF.

Anything less then Block 70 is will not except .:-)

Guys go for the F-18 superhornet, great planes perfect for maritime strike and patrolling.
Hope to see a strong BAF.

Its great plan but i am afraid we can afford it . our main contention will be with Myanmar who are very near to our shore so we may not need to have very long range fighter .

Its great plan but i am afraid we can afford it . our main contention will be with Myanmar who are very near to our shore so we may not need to have very long range fighter .

Economy is doing well, you guys have plenty of territorial water to defend.
Super hornet is perfect for the role and gives you a chance against quite powerful warplanes operating in the region.

Get f16 Block 50/52

Perfect for BAF

lol F16 overload in the subcontinent. I think for them airspace denial is key.

Get f16 Block 50/52

Perfect for BAF
Apparently a squadron of block 60 was offered

Wait hold on. F16 s to Bangladesh ?
Why? What does Bangladesh have to offer to the US that is worth F16s. Americans don't give f16s for no reason even if you have the money to pay for them.
I know its hard for Bengalis to look at PAF f16s and say that could have been us if we were not snakes.
Well now they don’t sell y’all anymore do they? There’s a reason Pakistan went from viper owning country to jf17... geopolitics is a funny game

https://bdnews24.com/bangladesh/2019/10/17/bangladesh-us-in-talks-to-sign-two-defence-deals

Bangladesh, US in talks to sign two defence deals
Nurul Islam Hasib, bdnews24.com

Published: 17 Oct 2019 10:29 PM BdST Updated: 17 Oct 2019 10:36 PM BdST

• 6.JPG

File Photo: US and Bangladesh air forces held the fourth joint exercise between them in 2015.
The United States is ready to support Bangladesh Military Forces Goal 2030 as it seeks to modernise its military equipment.

For that, Bangladesh will need to sign two “foundational” defence deals - General Security of Military Information Agreement (GSOMIA) and Acquisition and Cross Servicing Agreement (ACSA).

Both governments and military forces are in talks now to conclude those deals, an official of the US administration with knowledge of that issue told bdnews24.com. The official is not authorised to talk to media about the matter.

A senior official at the Bangladesh foreign ministry also confirmed that talks have commenced to conclude those deals “necessary to buy modern equipment from the United States”.

The US-Bangladesh defence relationship is important to Washington, as evidenced by its continued support for US-Bangla military exercises hosted by Bangladesh.

Those include Pacific Angel (Summer 2019), Disaster Response Exercise and Exchange (DREE) (Oct 2019), Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training (CARAT) (Nov 19), COPE South (Feb 20), and Tiger Lightning (Mar 20).

Over the last year, both sides conducted multiple Joint Combined Exchanged Training (JCETs) events and Subject Matter Expert Exchanges focused on counter-terrorism issues.

Washington also provided $3.3 million to send 233 members of the Bangladesh military to attend military professionalisation courses in the US and the wider Indo-Pacific region over the last year.

The US also provided $5.3 million to cover the total cost of procurement and delivery of five 38-feet metal shark boats to support the maritime security objectives of the Bangladesh Navy.

The Bangladesh government introduced “Forces Goal 2030” in 2009 with an eye on massive expansion and modernisation of the Bangladesh Army, Navy, and Air Force.

It is aimed at building a three-dimensional force capable of conducting multi-platform warfare. The Forces Goal 2030 was later revised in 2017. It was the first plan to modernise the Bangladesh Armed Forces.

Under that plan, Bangladesh has bought different types of upgraded equipment including helicopters, unmanned aircraft, and anti-aircraft missiles, mostly from China.

“Everybody in the world knows we can provide the best quality modern equipment,” the US official said. “We greatly value the contribution of Bangladesh military officers who attend our military courses. We seek to support Bangladesh peacekeepers serving on UN missions.”

The official said they are currently working with the government of Bangladesh to conclude those foundational defence agreements (GSOMIA and ACSA), which are essential “to enabling a closer defence relationship, expanding opportunities for defense trade, information sharing, and military-to-military cooperation between our two countries”.

The official explained both the deals which are “nothing related to any strategies” or “containing China” as perceived by many.

GSOMIA

The GSOMIA is a foundational government-to-government bilateral agreement that will permit greater collaboration and sharing of classified military information in the form of intelligence and classified information US defence equipment.

GSOMIA is a reciprocal, legally-binding agreement that ensures governments understand and commit to protect classified military information at an equivalent level of security.

“It does not obligate or commit governments to share classified information or material, it only ensures equivalent protection of the information if shared,” the official said.

Washington has GSOMIA agreements with 76 partners across the globe, including several countries in South Asia.

GSOMIA serves to strengthen cooperation to advance shared interests of trusted partners. As the US-Bangladesh relationship continues to grow, GSOMIA is essential to enabling the cooperation we both seek.

“For Foreign Military Sales (FMS) or GSOMIA, our security authorities would work closely with your security authorities to develop a security plan and standard operating procedures to implement required security measures.”

ACSA

The purpose of the ACSA is to allow the US and partner nation forces to procure and pay for common types of logistical support, supplies, and services in a way that simplifies cooperation.

“ACSA agreements do not in any way commit a partner nation to military action nor do they authorise the stationing of ships, aircraft, or military personnel in foreign countries.”

“They only serve to simplify the procurement and payment of logistic support, supplies, and services between partner forces,” said the official.

The United States has an ACSA agreement with over 100 countries, including India and Sri Lanka.

As a mutual logistics support agreement, for example, an ACSA could facilitate the transfer of fuel from the Bangladesh military to visiting US naval ships participating in the annual Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training (CARAT) exercise.

“It could also improve the United States’ ability to respond to any potential humanitarian or natural disasters involving Bangladesh and facilitate the transfer of fuel from the US military to Bangladesh naval ships operating outside of their normal areas; thereby eliminating the need to contract with commercial vendors,” the official said to cite an example.

Apparently a squadron of block 60 was offered

Well now they don’t sell y’all anymore do they? There’s a reason Pakistan went from viper owning country to jf17... geopolitics is a funny game

It will likely be Block 70/72 if new builds.

Block 60/61 is for UAE only.

The bottom line is that Bangladesh no longer deals with the Congress walas anymore, and to be honest I don't think we will see them in power ever again. What is in power is the most devious, horrible, lying, cheating and cruel species ever i.e. the Sanghi. All pleasantries aside they see the Bengalis as nothing more than Muslims who are looking to dilute their states, hence the demographic invasion needs to be stopped and repulsed. It's quite common for their higher ups to talk about in the event of disagreement the Indian forces could rapidly establish a buffer zone i.e. take Bengali territory. They say you need to prepare for any worst case scenario....

Now going back to topic I believe the way forward for the Bengali armed forces is to concentrate on bringing the 'heat' quickly i.e. the ability to launch a quick severe strike that can stop an attack in its tracks. Look no further than Singapore, the similarities are striking i.e. small country, high population density, the lack of strategic depth, landlocked bar ports and so on. What's Singapore's prized military asset its airforce, which has one of the best offensive punches in the world, and their pilots are superb.

Bangladesh can mirror this and the reasons why I picked out the F-18 Super Hornet are;
- Boeing are eager for sales.
-The US will supply the full package e.g. AESA radar, latest AMRAM.
-A follow up order could also include the EA-18G Growler, which will bring the BAF advanced electronic warfare capability as well.
-The aircraft is a proven maratime king i.e. it makes up the bulk of the US's strike aircraft abroad their carriers. Bangladesh is also very connected with water i.e. Indian Ocean and Bay of Bengal.
-Lastly many friendly nations operate them or are in the process of upgrading to the jets e.g. Kuwait and Malaysia, so training beyond the US with friendly forces is also a bonus.

Oh I also have a love for the jet lol, like I do for the Typhoon and dream list it for the PAF.

Anyway just my thoughts.

FA-18_Super_Hornets_of_Strike_Fighter_Squadron_31_fly_patrol%2C_Afghanistan%2C_December_15%2C_2008.jpg

In BAF colours, oh damm.....

Last edited:
Well now they don’t sell y’all anymore do they? There’s a reason Pakistan went from viper owning country to jf17... geopolitics
You are so predictable ! American support for our f 16 programme is CONTINUOUS!
“The US State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale (FMS) to Pakistan for Technical Security Team (TST) in continued support of the F-16 programme for an estimated cost of $125 million,” said an official notification sent to the US Congress on Friday. This was a few months back.
We are still a viper owning country. We might get some brand new jets soon from the US.We just don't like to be dependent or be put in a blackmailing position.Thats why we developed the JF-17 which is now better than the f16 due to block 3.Funny you mention geopolitics. A game Bangladesh left in 1971. You are irrelevant in the great game. If you had any sense you would have prefered jf17 for your country. But no you want the glamorous name the brand name. Well guess what you are never getting the f16. Cooperation in defence and you stretched it to f16s. The only way you get f16s is if you become slave to America and fight china. That aint happening soo....bye bye to f16. Buy some indian jets

The bottom line is that Bangladesh no longer deals with the Congress walas anymore, and to be honest I don't think we will see them in power ever again. What is in power is the most devious, horrible, lying, cheating and cruel species ever i.e. the Sanghi. All pleasantries aside they see the Bengalis as nothing more than Muslims who are looking to dilute their states, hence the demographic invasion needs to be stopped and repulsed. It's quite common for their higher ups to talk about in the event of disagreement the Indian forces could rapidly establish a buffer zone i.e. take Bengali territory. They say you need to prepare for any worst case scenario....

Now going back to topic I believe the way forward for the Bengali armed forces is to concentrate on bringing the 'heat' quickly i.e. the ability to launch a quick severe strike that can stop an attack in its tracks. Look no further than Singapore, the similarities are striking i.e. small country, high population density, the lack of strategic depth, landlocked bar ports and so on. What's Singapore's prized military asset its airforce, which has one of the best offensive punches in the world, and their pilots are superb.

Bangladesh can mirror this and the reasons why I picked out the F-18 Super Hornet are;
- Boeing are eager for sales.
-The US will supply the full package e.g. AESA radar, latest AMRAM.
-A follow up order could also include EA-18G Growler, which will bring the BAF advanced electronic warfare capability as well.
-The aircraft is a proven maratime king i.e. it makes up the bulk of the US's strike aircraft abroad their carriers. Bangladesh is also very connected with water i.e. Indian Ocean and Bay of Bengal.
-Lastly many friendly nations operate them or are in the process of upgrading to the jets e.g. Kuwait and Malaysia, so training beyond the US with friendly forces is also a bonus.

Oh I also have a love for the jet lol, like I do for the Typhoon and dream list it for the PAF.

Anyway just my thoughts.

FA-18_Super_Hornets_of_Strike_Fighter_Squadron_31_fly_patrol%2C_Afghanistan%2C_December_15%2C_2008.jpg

In BAF colours, oh damm.....

Alhamdulilah I've been waiting for this.

Very happy to see official word.

Whether Viper or Superbug, either way I will be happy.

US brings quality.

And this signals a shift from business as usual for Bangladesh. (At least in regards to its armed forces)

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom