What's new

Bangladesh proposes procurement of high-end military equipment from US

Alhamdulilah I've been waiting for this.

Very happy to see official word.

Whether Viper or Superbug, either way I will be happy.

US brings quality.

And this signals a shift from business as usual for Bangladesh. (At least in regards to its armed forces)

If it was up to me (which it obviously isn’t) You folks would get some of the really good stuff.

Alhamdulilah I've been waiting for this.

Very happy to see official word.

US brings quality.

And this signals a shift from business as usual for Bangladesh. (At least in regards to its armed forces)

If this goes through In Sha Allah, it will certainly be a great shift from the usual business for sure!

I suspect it may be F-18 instead of F-16, because BAF was looking for twin-engine with maritime strike capability (Although I secretly wish 1 sq of each!)

With US moving to 5th gen, they are now more willing to sell these 4+ generation fighters across the globe. The only worry is to watch out for strings it may bring about though.

If this goes through In Sha Allah, it will certainly be a great shift from the usual business for sure!

I suspect it may be F-18 instead of F-16, because BAF was looking for twin-engine with maritime strike capability (Although I secretly wish 1 sq of each!)

With US moving to 5th gen, they are now more willing to sell these 4+ generation fighters across the globe. The only worry is to watch out for strings it may bring about though.

Not worried too much about strings.

Bangladesh is benign as we all know.

But what I am worried about is some misadventure from Myanmar with Bangladesh not being able to defend itself.

Also, I would think it will be one type rather than a split buy.

And where does it put the rumored Typhoons?

The Italian AF offering to train BAF is noteworthy in that it gives some weight that Typhoon was at least being discussed if not offered.

All very good things.

Not worried too much about strings.

Bangladesh is benign as we all know.

But what I am worried about is some misadventure from Myanmar with Bangladesh not being able to defend itself.

Also, I would think it will be one type rather than a split buy.

And where does it put the rumored Typhoons?

The Italian AF offering to train BAF is noteworthy in that it gives some weight that Typhoon was at least being discussed if not offered.

All very good things.

Yes, I agree. We are in good books as of now. I am sure we will not subject to any US strings if we are to defend our land from any Burmese misadventure. But in the off chance that India might try something similar, I am sure US will put the strings on us. That's why we probably need to keep other options open, like SAMs from China.

If the rumoured Typhoons are true, then that would perhaps serve the purpose of air superiority role, whereas the F-18s would serve the role of maritime patrol and strike, In Sha Allah.

Italians offering to train BAF definitely adds more fuel to the Typhoon discussion. Indeed all very good things Alhamdulillah!

All these talks of US strings are nonsense. US would not take any action against bd as we would never be the aggressor in either theatre.

Personally I would go british as one is a british-BD and i sincerely believe that british jets are better than US ones.

I would go for the Typhoon in numbers..... and they would be more than a match for any russian or french birds.

If we have to EFT (new 2 sqd minimum but ideally 4) and F18 ( 1 sqd but ideally 2) mix BD very much locks up air defense vis a vis both our neighbourd for at least a decade if not two. 6 sqd potent new fighters backed by migs, yaks and F7s is more than good enough.

Yes I will when I see f16s landing in Dhaka.

Great!

Make that the case for Superbugs or Typhoons also.

Until then try to keep the snarky comments to yourself and stop polluting this legitimate thread.

Great!

Make that the case for Superbugs or Typhoons also.

Until then try to keep the snarky comments to yourself and stop polluting this legitimate thread.
:rofl: why do you think the US will sell you all of this. That too with no strings attached?
Do you think India will let you have this.They have a strong lobby.Pakistan does not care either way because you still dont have the spine to fight India.
There is no official statement regarding f16s. You will probably be refused by the US again. :D

:rofl: why do you think the US will sell you all of this. That too with no strings attached?
Do you think India will let you have this.They have a strong lobby.Pakistan does not care either way because you still dont have the spine to fight India.
There is no official statement regarding f16s. You will probably be refused by the US again. :D

Calm down.

I can practically see you frothing at the mouth.

Let this play out.

Your right it’s all speculation and inference at this point.

But this is a discussion forum and quite honestly if your into geopolitics and military aviation this is definitely the place to discuss this as there is smoke behind the fire.

US brings quality.
Either way you will be happy:crazy:. You have no idea what will happen if you get f16s do you. Your bases will be over run by US contractors. You will be crying when myanmar bombs your airbases and the US pushes the kill switch on your f16s. Also any disobedience of your master will lead to stopage of spares. This is all reality.

Either way you will be happy:crazy:. You have no idea what will happen if you get f16s do you. Your bases will be over run by US contractors. You will be crying when myanmar bombs your airbases and the US pushes the kill switch on your f16s. Also any disobedience of your master will lead to stopage of spares. This is all reality.

OK.

Calm down.

I can practically see you frothing at the mouth.

Let this play out.

Your right it’s all speculation and inference at this point.

But this is a discussion forum and quite honestly if your into geopolitics and military aviation this is definitely the place to discuss this as there is smoke behind the fire.
If say an contract gets signed tommorow. Say The US agrees to give you 18 F 16s. It will take years to complete the manufacturing. Then they will be test piloted. In the meanwhile you will have to send pilots over for training. By 2026 you will get the jets.

If say an contract gets signed tommorow. Say The US agrees to give you 18 F 16s. It will take years to complete the manufacturing. Then they will be test piloted. In the meanwhile you will have to send pilots over for training. By 2026 you will get the jets.

ok so what?

this is more about about the politics than it is about the hardware.

but let’s say we are strictly speaking tactically, you are correct it’s gonna take some time for BAF to absorb and integrate any US fighters into its force.

however, this is FAR FAR better than the expected buy of MiG-35 or Flanker variants.

this fighter buy is about the next 30 years at least.

All these talks of US strings are nonsense. US would not take any action against bd as we would never be the aggressor in either theatre.

Personally I would go british as one is a british-BD and i sincerely believe that british jets are better than US ones.

I would go for the Typhoon in numbers..... and they would be more than a match for any russian or french birds.

If we have to EFT (new 2 sqd minimum but ideally 4) and F18 ( 1 sqd but ideally 2) mix BD very much locks up air defense vis a vis both our neighbourd for at least a decade if not two. 6 sqd potent new fighters backed by migs, yaks and F7s is more than good enough.

You do make a valid point there, It does make sense. BD has been maintaining a good reputation, and we are indeed highly unlikely to become an aggressor, even if there is a regime change.

If we could get even the minimum number of EFT and F-18s you suggested, I think that should be enough to create the deterrence we need against any misadventure by either of our neighbors.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom