What's new

Bangladesh overtakes Pakistan in weaving capacity

kobiraaz

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Bangladesh, counted among the Least Developed Countries (LDCs) of the world, has overtaken Pakistan in textile weaving capacity.

textielmach4_118070139304.jpg

During 2006-11, Bangladesh added 2.830 million spindles and 21,850 shuttleless looms in the textile sector, taking the total number of installed spindles in the country to 8.7 million and shuttleless looms to 28,000, according to the data from the International Textile Manufacturers Federation (ITMF).

In comparison, Pakistan has been able to add only about 1.8 million spindles and over 3,100 shuttleless looms since 2005, taking the total installed spindles to 11.9 million and shuttleless looms to 24,000.

Thus, Bangladesh today has a higher weaving capacity than Pakistan, and about three-fourths of Pakistan’s spinning capacity.

During 2006-11, India added 15.33 million spindles and more than 30,000 shuttleless looms to its textile sector, taking the total to 41.27 million spindles and around 38,000 shuttleless looms.

During the same period, China added 38.29 million spindles and over 360,000 shuttleless looms in its spinning and weaving industries, taking the total installed capacity to 120 million spindles and around 587,000 shuttleless looms.

Fibre2fashion News Desk - India

Bangladesh : Bangladesh overtakes Pakistan in weaving capacity - Textile News Bangladesh

From no manufacturing base whatsoever BD had come a long away. However it is a longer path still to get our people out of poverty....

From no manufacturing base whatsoever BD had come a long away. However it is a longer path still to get our people out of poverty....

you guys gonna weave yourselves out of poverty ? LMAO !!

Even if BD weaves under garments for half of mankind, it's not gonna be poverty free.. The only way out is ( Massive Industrialization)Heavy Machinery/High end Services

Great Work ... I read earlier that many Textile Industries are moving from Pakistan to Bangladesh . That might also have been a contributing factor .

you guys gonna weave yourselves out of poverty ? LMAO !!

Even if it is weaving, any development should be welcomed.

I dont see Bangladesh getting many, big industrial unit, but getting small numerous plants would help the economy greatly.
One of my relatives want to shift his cloth manufacturing unit from MP to Bangladesh. MP is supposed to be cheap in operations/labor, goes to show the facilities in Bangladesh.

OT, is the textile industry getting support from govt or just the hardwork of people?

Great Work ... I read earlier that many Textile Industries are moving from Pakistan to Bangladesh . That might also have been a contributing factor .

yes, one of the factor. Many Pakistani businessman opened some factories.

I dont see Bangladesh getting many, big industrial unit, but getting small numerous plants would help the economy greatly.
One of my relatives want to shift his cloth manufacturing unit from MP to Bangladesh. MP is supposed to be cheap in operations/labor, goes to show the facilities in Bangladesh.

OT, is the textile industry getting support from govt or just the hardwork of people?

well, it will have to come step by step. we need enough diversified small to medium industry to fulfill our needs and sustain our economy. heavy industry requires a lot of valuable natural resources ( we might not have those), time, commitment , strategic shift in economic goals---- for which we need to be matured enough in macro level.As @mb44 have mentioned, it is still a long road ahead for us. For India may be you are superb in it now, but sometime we can simply buy cheap from China or try innovating.
Manufacturing cost of goods per unit here pretty low, compared to many other manufacturing countries. Don't think your relative will have problem in making profit. Govt does what it can with their limited capability, but the people is really hard working for their own purpose.

yes, one of the factor. Many Pakistani businessman opened some factories.

well, it will have to come step by step. we need enough diversified small to medium industry to fulfill our needs and sustain our economy. heavy industry requires a lot of valuable natural resources ( we might not have those), time, commitment , strategic shift in economic goals---- for which we need to be matured enough in macro level.As @mb44 have mentioned, it is still a long road ahead for us. For India may be you are superb in it now, but sometime we can simply buy cheap from China or try innovating.
Manufacturing cost of goods per unit here pretty low, compared to many other manufacturing countries. Don't think your relative will have problem in making profit. Govt does what it can with their limited capability, but the people is really hard working for their own purpose.

It is not just my relative, many people that I know in textile business want to shift there. Though it has been some time I left India and dont know if they went through it, but point was that somehow it is more profitable/convenient to run plants there than India. Makes me wonder, cause all facilities should be available in India too. Cheap labor, cheap raw material, electricity and other resources, I cant think of one thing that is there in BD and not in India.

^ we dont have the superpower syndrome.
Good to hear that and congratulations on the growth towards economic front.

Textile industries are also big polluters. I hope that govt. keeps check on these too. If not then it will be bad for common folk in long run. If the textile growth is happening with pollution in check then Indeed, its a good news for Bangladesh and a cause for celebration.

No country has a "Sai Baba" to produce ash from nothing. Heavy industrialization need monetary capital. BD economy is now investing in the labour intensive textile industries because it lacks a huge capital for heavy industrialization. But, it does not mean we are not investing in other sectors, too.

Export earning from textiles is a monetary saving. This money is now being invested in other sectors. So, Textile is our "Sai Baba." When we have more and more capital, we will keep on investing in heavy industrialization. Industrialization is a continuous process.

No country has a "Sai Baba" to produce ash from nothing. Heavy industrialization need monetary capital. BD economy is now investing in the labour intensive textile industries because it lacks a huge capital for heavy industrialization. But, it does not mean we are not investing in other sectors, too.

Export earning from textiles is a monetary saving. This money is now being invested in other sectors. So, Textile is our "Sai Baba." When we have more and more capital, we will keep on investing in heavy industrialization. Industrialization is a continuous process.

This is what I meant by not getting big industries. Besides money, they are also heavy on resources. Compared to that, small plants would provide more employment with less resources.

Back
Top Bottom