What's new

Bangladesh Navy's Anti-Submarine Warfare Capability At A Glance

As @Beast has said it was modernised by China with the latest electronics/sonar and noise cancelling tiles before being sold to BD. It may even have AIP but we cannot be sure.

This is a 1990/2000s Chinese build sub with Chinese 2010s technology.

BD also brought the heavy ET-40 torpedos with range of up to 30km and so it is well capable of fighting against the 1980s era Kilo.

I am not saying that the BN's Type-035Gs are much superior to the Kilos you are getting but it is definitely a slightly better sub and BD has 2 while you have one.
Other assets like the frigate Bangabandhu and the two ASW-variant Durjoy class can be brought in as well if required.

These two subs just like the Kilo Myanmar is getting are only really for training purposes but of course can be used in war if required. BN is building a 1 billion US dollar submarine base and that will house maybe 6 modern diesel subs.

Myanmar should stop trying to compare itself to BD as it has an economy 5 times smaller and the acquisitions that BN will make just this decade alone will totally overwhelm Myanmar unless it goes back to it's old ways of spending half or more of it's budget on defence.

No visible changes in the hull of the pair of Ming class BN received.
The hull still maintains the WW 2 U boats features with no noise reduction tiles.
No extensions in the hull indicate that it lacks AIP.

IMG_2604.JPG
IMG_2601.JPG
IMG_2603.JPG

As @Beast has said it was modernised by China with the latest electronics/sonar and noise cancelling tiles before being sold to BD. It may even have AIP but we cannot be sure.

This is a 1990/2000s Chinese build sub with Chinese 2010s technology.

BD also brought the heavy ET-40 torpedos with range of up to 30km and so it is well capable of fighting against the 1980s era Kilo.

I am not saying that the BN's Type-035Gs are much superior to the Kilos you are getting but it is definitely a slightly better sub and BD has 2 while you have one.
Other assets like the frigate Bangabandhu and the two ASW-variant Durjoy class can be brought in as well if required.

These two subs just like the Kilo Myanmar is getting are only really for training purposes but of course can be used in war if required. BN is building a 1 billion US dollar submarine base and that will house maybe 6 modern diesel subs.

Myanmar should stop trying to compare itself to BD as it has an economy 5 times smaller and the acquisitions that BN will make just this decade alone will totally overwhelm Myanmar unless it goes back to it's old ways of spending half or more of it's budget on defence.
I just want to say that you should stop comparing the economy of Myanmar to Bangladesh for the Military because our military is not limited by the GDP. We have bought military equipment worth almost 2billion in just 4 years. to list a few SU-30 more than 250million, JF 17 around 400million, Naval shipyard expansion 200million, Yak 130 almost 300million, the kilo is also being paid by Myanmar to be refitted for almost 100million and that's not including the other individual aircraft like the Y 8, mi 35 and the Eurocopter dolphins. There is also the BTR-4 and various manufacturing equipment to make the MA series rifles.
FB_IMG_1587131993154.jpg
FB_IMG_1587132000301.jpg
FB_IMG_1587132006131.jpg
FB_IMG_1587131998081.jpg
FB_IMG_1587132008316.jpg
FB_IMG_1587132010615.jpg
FB_IMG_1587131979517.jpg
FB_IMG_1586728088922.jpg
FB_IMG_1586728075939.jpg
FB_IMG_1586728093820.jpg
FB_IMG_1586728095330.jpg
FB_IMG_1586728090539.jpg
FB_IMG_1586728092187.jpg
Armored-Military-Vehicles-Myanmar3.jpg
FB_IMG_1586728098963.jpg
FB_IMG_1586728100675.jpg

@tarpitz - Whatever as the 1980s kilo sub you got from India has no superiority over the Type-035G BD got from China. Type-035G has modern sensors/radar and new long-range torpedos. Project 877 submarines are notoriously noisy btw.
Even if the Kilo is quieter than the Type-035G, it lacks in electronics and sonar compared to it.

@MINN - Of course there is a limit to what Myanmar can spend. Your GDP is 5 times less than BD and the gap is growing due to sanctions.

Let us look at the latest IMF April forecast taking Covid-19 into account:

https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2020/01/weodata/weorept.aspx?sy=2020&ey=2021&scsm=1&ssd=1&sort=country&ds=.&br=1&pr1.x=35&pr1.y=14&c=513,518&s=NGDP_RPCH&grp=0&a=

upload_2020-4-24_18-59-27.png

Do you see that next year, BD is expected to grow 2% quicker than Myanmar?

This 5 times greater GDP that BD has will soon be 6 times. There is only so much Myanmar can do to stay relevant with BD military buildup which is in full swing now. You cannot keep up with BD military buildup for too long. Your only critical advantage is the air-force but just a single purchase of 1-2 squadrons of 4+ generation fighters from West for BAF will eliminate this.

You may look good with all the cheap and of questionable quality stuff you are buying from Russia/China but BD is buying higher quality stuff from the West and Turkey as it can afford to these days unlike the recent past.

Last edited:
Let BD members live in la la la dreamland.... one fine morning they will wake up with a swelled up bump because of Myanmari BAMBOO.....:lol::lol:

I don't think it happened because of BD government. We reported an Indian defense page run by some idiots from Kolkata for their shitty propaganda about BD. Facebook shut it down and i think they also reported against DefSeca's page, group, admin and mod in retaliation.

But yes, it's obviously annoying that Defseca creates multiple group and i think this is the third time they opened the forum. Hope it will last this time even if there are few members. Number of new member will grow gradually.
yes please join, apparently it cost 170$ for SAK and he was contemplating shutting it down if traffic doesn't increase

But DefSeca said it's not gonna launch missile.
@Beast mentions ck802 to be exact

Think it will be a while till new diesel-electric subs come to BD as the new sub base being built by BD is not due for completion till 2027-2028.
Yeah and I agree that Yuan will be too dated to be in the consideration - my money is on Chinese subs as BN will want to pivot against India mainly and they will offer the best performance/price ratio.
i don't think any subs will come before completion of a substantial amount of the new frigate designs... after that i reckon in 2027-30 bd economy will be big enough to order from germany if needed or choose south korean options which are pretty good for littoral operations.

i don't think any subs will come before completion of a substantial amount of the new frigate designs... after that i reckon in 2027-30 bd economy will be big enough to order from germany if needed or choose south korean options which are pretty good for littoral operations.

Yes that makes sense as BN's budget will be mostly spent on the frigate programme over the next 5 years I think.

I still think BN would prefer to go for Chinese subs for strategic reasons. The Chinese tech is inching closer to Western ones by every passing year anyway.

Yes that makes sense as BN's budget will be mostly spent on the frigate programme over the next 5 years I think.

I still think BN would prefer to go for Chinese subs for strategic reasons. The Chinese tech is inching closer to Western ones by every passing year anyway.
i just hope they use these shiny toys as appropriate, no use to make the best battleship (like brazil did) only to scrap it at the end

@tarpitz - Whatever as the 1980s kilo sub you got from India has no superiority over the Type-035G BD got from China. Type-035G has modern sensors/radar and new long-range torpedos. Project 877 submarines are notoriously noisy btw.
Even if the Kilo is quieter than the Type-035G, it lacks in electronics and sonar compared to it.

@MINN - Of course there is a limit to what Myanmar can spend. Your GDP is 5 times less than BD and the gap is growing due to sanctions.

Let us look at the latest IMF April forecast taking Covid-19 into account:

https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2020/01/weodata/weorept.aspx?sy=2020&ey=2021&scsm=1&ssd=1&sort=country&ds=.&br=1&pr1.x=35&pr1.y=14&c=513,518&s=NGDP_RPCH&grp=0&a=

View attachment 626976

Do you see that next year, BD is expected to grow 2% quicker than Myanmar?

This 5 times greater GDP that BD has will soon be 6 times. There is only so much Myanmar can do to stay relevant with BD military buildup which is in full swing now. You cannot keep up with BD military buildup for too long. Your only critical advantage is the air-force but just a single purchase of 1-2 squadrons of 4+ generation fighters from West for BAF will eliminate this.

You may look good with all the cheap and of questionable quality stuff you are buying from Russia/China but BD is buying higher quality stuff from the West and Turkey as it can afford to these days unlike the recent past.
you do know that there are no economic sanctions on Myanmar right? And also can BD survive COVID-19 since most of your economy is based on human resources and manufacturing.

you do know that there are no economic sanctions on Myanmar right? And also can BD survive COVID-19 since most of your economy is based on human resources and manufacturing.

Well your economy is growing slower than before Rohingya issue. EU was talking last year about textile sanctions to decimate your garments industry if you did not take Rohingya back with full rights. No-one has forgotten about Rohingya and this will again be on the agenda after Covid-19 is over

And as regards BD economy, let us stick with experts like IMF who predict BD to grow at 10% a year next year - again the fastest growing large economy in the world next year. This is after they have taken Covid-19 into account. BD is self-sufficient in all major foodstuffs and has by far the lowest debt-gdp ratio in S Asia and so can spend for many months to get through this pandemic.

Now buy whatever cheap stuff you can from Russia/China as BD now has even more cards to play as your Chinese daddy is being widely blamed for coronavirus. BD will take full advantage of this new reality to pressure the Chinese over Rohingya.

Last edited:
Worry about your non existent economy.

No visible changes in the hull of the pair of Ming class BN received.
The hull still maintains the WW 2 U boats features with no noise reduction tiles.
No extensions in the hull indicate that it lacks AIP.

View attachment 626772View attachment 626773View attachment 626774
There has been advances in minituarisation of AIP system in China and such systems were tested in regular boats before.
As for modifications. They focused on interior modifications. Idk about sonar absorbing tiles but the boat underwent major modifications before delivery. It’s being refitted again

BD President publicly confirms that 6 next-gen frigates will be ordered soon.

BD leaders are just amazing.
They don't even know how to wear mask properly.
Seems that they don't know whether it is a mask or mouth cover.

IMG_2612.JPG

Back
Top Bottom