What's new

Bangladesh Navy

I'm no sub expert but look at the following article in a Russian blog (BMPD) that quotes Indian intelligence sources about Bangladesh getting a couple of small subs. Well -- relatively small and small doesn't mean loud, heh heh :-). Read the following translated from Russian (my apologies if this has been posted already).

"China offers Bangladesh Russian submarines of Project 636

From a senior source in the Indian Navy, having regard to the Russian dockyards in Severodvinsk, our blog has learned that China offers Bangladesh to buy two large diesel-electric submarines of the Russian-built Project 636 from the PLA Navy. According to preliminary information, it is about a Chinese submarine hull numbers "374" and "375" (serial numbers 01701 and 01702), built at "Sevmash" in Severodvinsk in 2002 under contract to build for China eight submarines Project 636. Under this contract five boats were built for China to "Admiralty Shipyards" in St. Petersburg, one - at the "Red Sormovo" in Nizhny Novgorod, and two - on the "Sevmash". Both boats were put Severodvinsk PLA Navy in December 2005 and delivered to China in the summer of 2006. Why China has chosen to offer Bangladesh boat is built Severodvinsk - is unclear.

According to Indian sources, the Russian representatives and the administration "Sevmash" and OAO "CA" Star "aware of these intentions of the Chinese, but simply can not stop them, though it is obvious that the Chinese side has no right to sell submarines built in Russia without the consent of the Russian hand, nor has the rights to exercise and repair and maintenance of these boats from a third party.

Also Indian source said that the Indian Navy took a decision in principle on the second medium repairs of its four diesel-electric submarines of Project 877 EKM (08,773), previously passed the first repair in Russia. However, only two boats will be on average repair of "CA" Star "in Severodvinsk, and the renovation of two other boats Indian side intends to implement on their own. Should be noted that the Indian Navy has not yet spent the first three medium repairs on their boats 877EKM, so there is reason to believe that the Indian epic renovated boats stretched for a long time.

In addition, the Indian source was informed that due to the recent loss of the submarine project Sindhurakshak 08773, guide the Indian Navy decided forcing trailing a long time the tender for the purchase or construction of six submarines program project 75I, entangled at the initial stages harmonize requirements. Request for Proposals (RFR) companies participating in the tender must be sent before the end of this year."

Apparently these are project 636 subs, designated as Improved Kilo in the west, and Project 636 Varshavyanka in Russia which were built for China (Names Yuan Zheng 74 Hao and 75 Hao and Hull nos. 374 and 375 respectively). These are later KILO builds than the Sindhurakshak class of the Indian Navy (Yuan Zheng 74 & 75 Hao commissioned 2005 vs.2000 for the latest Indian KILO, S64 Sindhushastra) .

See the wiki-pedia page on Kilo-class_submarine and the section on Project_636_units (I'm too new here to post links).

I'm no sub expert but look at the following article in a Russian blog (BMPD) that quotes Indian intelligence sources about Bangladesh getting a couple of small subs. Well -- relatively small and small doesn't mean loud, heh heh :-). Read the following translated from Russian (my apologies if this has been posted already).

From a senior source in the Indian Navy, having regard to the Russian dockyards in Severodvinsk, our blog has learned that China offers Bangladesh to buy two large diesel-electric submarines of the Russian-built Project 636 from the PLA Navy. According to preliminary information, it is about a Chinese submarine hull numbers "374" and "375" (serial numbers 01701 and 01702), built at "Sevmash" in Severodvinsk in 2002 under contract to build for China eight submarines Project 636. Under this contract five boats were built for China to "Admiralty Shipyards" in St. Petersburg, one - at the "Red Sormovo" in Nizhny Novgorod, and two - on the "Sevmash". Both boats were put Severodvinsk PLA Navy in December 2005 and delivered to China in the summer of 2006. Why China has chosen to offer Bangladesh boat is built Severodvinsk - is unclear.

According to Indian sources, the Russian representatives and the administration "Sevmash" and OAO "CA" Star "aware of these intentions of the Chinese, but simply can not stop them, though it is obvious that the Chinese side has no right to sell submarines built in Russia without the consent of the Russian hand, nor has the rights to exercise and repair and maintenance of these boats from a third party.

Also Indian source said that the Indian Navy took a decision in principle on the second medium repairs of its four diesel-electric submarines of Project 877 EKM (08,773), previously passed the first repair in Russia. However, only two boats will be on average repair of "CA" Star "in Severodvinsk, and the renovation of two other boats Indian side intends to implement on their own. Should be noted that the Indian Navy has not yet spent the first three medium repairs on their boats 877EKM, so there is reason to believe that the Indian epic renovated boats stretched for a long time.

In addition, the Indian source was informed that due to the recent loss of the submarine project Sindhurakshak 08773, guide the Indian Navy decided forcing trailing a long time the tender for the purchase or construction of six submarines program project 75I, entangled at the initial stages harmonize requirements. Request for Proposals (RFR) companies participating in the tender must be sent before the end of this year."

Apparently these are project 636 subs, designated as Improved Kilo in the west, and Project 636 Varshavyanka in Russia which were built for China (Names Yuan Zheng 74 Hao and 75 Hao and Hull nos. 374 and 375 respectively). These are later KILO builds than the Sindhurakshak class of the Indian Navy (Yuan Zheng 74 & 75 Hao commissioned 2005 vs.2000 for the latest Indian KILO, S64 Sindhushastra) .

See the wiki-pedia page on Kilo-class_submarine and the section on Project_636_units (I'm too new here to post links).
welcome to forum, i am not sure about this news

But BDs should have gone for a similar F-22P Program along with PN like FAC or a better one.

a very important consideration..... most people are so obsessed with weapons systems that they forget the need for electronics.... remember that a blind man cannot defend himself.....

we still don't have any specific knowledge about the new weapons and electronics fit on the BNS Somudra Joy (F28)..... this ship didn't have a sonar while it served the USCG..... so, it had ZERO anti-submarine capability..... has there been any improvement in this area?..... anyone with any specific lead can post...

BNS-Somudra-Joy.jpg
I think we are going to add towed sonar to give Somudro Joy anti sub capability.

thanks for posting this!.... and welcome to the forum!

this news seems like a false one..... there was another 'news' circulated in 2005 that Pakistan was delivering Bangladesh submarines as "gift".... those were nothing more than propaganda.... this one also seems so..... its absurd to think that China would sell off their Kilo-class subs built in Russia.... Bangladesh is not like North Korea or Myanmar or other closed regime where building rights or legal rights have no value whatsoever.... Bangladeshis aren't foolish enough to think that they can get away with such illicit trade!

I think we are going to add towed sonar to give Somudro Joy anti sub capability.
well, if that happens, its superb!....
any leads to it?..... like which country's systems are going to be incorporated or something similar.....

Kilo class is huge.. if that is true. these are bad as$

Might be, russian vinyetka low frequency active/passive towed array sonar suit. Lets see what happens. My source is internal but not 100% accurate.
hmm.... as the Somudra Joy was not equipped with a hull-mounted sonar, not sure if its hull can be transformed.... so, towed array seems the logical solution.... also take a look at the end of the Hamilton-class.... there's a lotta space at the back of the ship for installation of a towed array sonar.....
the Russian Navy is depending on this sonar for some of its latest ships.... the Steregushchy-class corvettes (2,200t) are fitted with the Vinyetka sonars.... but lets see.... lets look for more info to back this up....
Steregushchy-class corvette - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

hmm.... as the Somudra Joy was not equipped with a hull-mounted sonar, not sure if its hull can be transformed.... so, towed array seems the logical solution.... also take a look at the end of the Hamilton-class.... there's a lotta space at the back of the ship for installation of a towed array sonar.....
the Russian Navy is depending on this sonar for some of its latest ships.... the Steregushchy-class corvettes (2,200t) are fitted with the Vinyetka sonars.... but lets see.... lets look for more info to back this up....
Steregushchy-class corvette - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lets see what happens. I am curious about Somudro Joy's defence armaments like CIWS, decoy etc.

Lets see what happens. I am curious about Somudro Joy's defence armaments like CIWS, decoy etc.
of course.... primary defense has to be against air and sea skimming missiles.... but such a high value ship (for us at least) has to have at least some ASW capability.... and remember that submarine activity in the Bay of Bengal is going to spike within a couple of years from now....

and talking of CIWS, our Chinese Type 053H2 frigates came with none!..... there was also talks about extensive modifications to the structure to incorporate a helipad and a hangar.... but nothing seems to have happened in that area either.... compared to these two, the Somundra Joy needs to undergo less modifications to be made battle-worthy.... though a lack of hull-mounted sonar would always be a concern....

of course.... primary defense has to be against air and sea skimming missiles.... but such a high value ship (for us at least) has to have at least some ASW capability.... and remember that submarine activity in the Bay of Bengal is going to spike within a couple of years from now....

and talking of CIWS, our Chinese Type 053H2 frigates came with none!..... there was also talks about extensive modifications to the structure to incorporate a helipad and a hangar.... but nothing seems to have happened in that area either.... compared to these two, the Somundra Joy needs to undergo less modifications to be made battle-worthy.... though a lack of hull-mounted sonar would always be a concern....
i think modification will take place in bangladesh as bangladesh wants to buit its own frigate by 2021, navy wants to be expert in basic works.

i think modification will take place in bangladesh as bangladesh wants to buit its own frigate by 2021, navy wants to be expert in basic works.
own frigate can come even earlier.... as I shared before in an earlier post, BN is already looking for the home-built frigate.... its even possible that at-home construction of two Type 056 may even start right after the receiving of the 2 from China in 2015.....

own frigate can come even earlier.... as I shared before in an earlier post, BN is already looking for the home-built frigate.... its even possible that at-home construction of two Type 056 may even start right after the receiving of the 2 from China in 2015.....
type056 is not frigate, its corvette :disagree:

Back
Top Bottom