What's new

Bangladesh Navy

Do not too sure on Western sensors at least.

BN's real threat is IN and so China would be best for this. MN does not really need much firepower to take care of by BN.

IN threat is the reason why I am pretty certain that BN will buy Chinese submarines again.

I'm sure it will have western sensors , Bangladesh can work with Italy or Korea in this area.

BN doesn't want a major part of the warship like the sensors being Chinese , plus European radars or sensors are better not saying Chinese isn't bad.

And for cruise missiles , we need something more than puny 300km than can strike at 700-800km and used for land attack also

I'm sure it will have western sensors , Bangladesh can work with Italy or Korea in this area.

BN doesn't want a major part of the warship like the sensors being Chinese , plus European radars or sensors are better not saying Chinese isn't bad.

And for cruise missiles , we need something more than puny 300km than can strike at 700-800km and used for land attack also

I would not be so sure that European sensors are any better than Chinese ones now.

China first came out with a ship-borne AESA radar in the Type-052C destroyer back in 2004. Since then it has come out with improved AESA sensors on the Type-052D destroyer and Type-055 destroyer.

Chinese sensors are also likely to be little cheaper and like I say perfect for IN. I am curious why you say BN would be against Chinese sensors?

As for cruise missiles, no European country will sell anything above 300km to BD due to MTCR. China is not part of MTCR.

Last edited:
I would not be so sure that European sensors are any better than Chinese ones now.

China first came out with a ship-borne AESA radar in the Type-052C destroyer back in 2004. Since then it has come out with improved AESA sensors on the Type-052D destroyer and Type-055 destroyer.

Chinese sensors are also likely to be little cheaper and like I say perfect for IN. I am curious why you say BN would be against Chinese sensors?

As for cruise missiles, no European country will sell anything above 300km to BD due to MTCR. China is not part of MTCR.
Bd signed MTCR, so it will have to abide by that law
Do not too sure on Western sensors at least.

BN's real threat is IN and so China would be best for this. MN does not really need much firepower to take care of by BN.

IN threat is the reason why I am pretty certain that BN will buy Chinese submarines again.
I am not so sure, South Koreans are pushing hard for a slice of bd’s purchases, frigates and subs

I am not so sure, South Koreans are pushing hard for a slice of bd’s purchases, frigates and subs

We do use a South Korean frigate currently , and SK is getting quite friendly with China as you can see their leader is secretly pro China.

South Korea makes pretty good subs

We have need for 300km+ ballistic and cruise missiles launchable from various platforms (land, sea, air).

Ideally, instead of obsessing with helicopters BAF should be focusing on building a missile command which would include R&D units to cater for the needs of all three services. This would also offer some justification to the 4 star rank of the BAF chief as fleets the size of the current BAF fleet are managed by Air Commodores in other countries.

A missile triad would offer the most credible deterrence against India as they would not want to have bad relations with a third country pointing missiles at them.

We have need for 300km+ ballistic and cruise missiles launchable from various platforms (land, sea, air).

Ideally, instead of obsessing with helicopters BAF should be focusing on building a missile command which would include R&D units to cater for the needs of all three services. This would also offer some justification to the 4 star rank of the BAF chief as fleets the size of the current BAF fleet are managed by Air Commodores in other countries.

A missile triad would offer the most credible deterrence against India as they would not want to have bad relations with a third country pointing missiles at them.

I guess , if we can't jointly develop a supersonic cruise missile with the Chinese it will be great.

Now before @The Ronin accuses me of setting different standards for BN:
Unlike BAF, BN has not been thumb-twiddling for decades. Despite funding constraints they have maintained decent deterrence capabilities by making smart purchases of used equipment. Unlike BAF, BN will not struggle to find trained manpower to operate brand new hardware as the organisation has steadily expanded by operating the used ships.

Both are working one small projects. BAF is buying trainers, helicopters, transport aircraft and trying to build trainer and UAV while BN is buying second hand frigates, corvettes, patrol crafts, LPC etc. One hasn't moved forward with MR-SAM and MRCA project and the other didn't move forward with frigate project and ASW helicopter.

Both are behind schedule. If it looks like BN is developing faster then it's because GoB has more focus on Blue Economy and BN has three shipyards under it's control where they can build any small size warship if they want currently. But BN also has more ships to decommission than it's commissioning. If you say BAF can easily buy J-10C then i can say BN can easily buy a Type-54A variant.

Both are behind schedule. If it looks like BN is developing faster then it's because GoB has more focus on Blue Economy and BN has three shipyards under it's control where they can build any small size warship if they want currently. But BN also has more ships to decommission than it's commissioning. If you say BAF can easily buy J-10C then i can say BN can easily buy a Type-54A variant
Chinese said 2 more type 53 h3 and possible some type 54 a after that

Really ? More Type 53H3s ?

And Type 54A if we get those 2 Type 53H3s ?

BN is turning into a 2nd hand naval junkyard for the Chinese.

There are already 4 Type-53H3 in service or on order.

Like I already said it is very worrying that a partner has not even been selected. Unless it is an off the shelf design, then it till take 18-24 months to agree on a design to enable construction to get started. For BD's available resources and BN's operational requirements a custom design potentially using a mix of sensors and weapons from different countries would be best.

Those who say patience is required, the requirement was announced back in 2017 and so it is 3 years now.

BN is turning into a 2nd hand naval junkyard for the Chinese.

There are already 4 Type-53H3 in service or on order.

Like I already said it is very worrying that a partner has not even been selected. Unless it is an off the shelf design, then it till take 18-24 months to agree on a design to enable construction to get started. For BD's available resources and BN's operational requirements a custom design potentially using a mix of sensors and weapons from different countries would be best.

Those who say patience is required, the requirement was announced back in 2017 and so it is 3 years now.
2 h2 and 2 h3
Latter is the case
Really ? More Type 53H3s ?

And Type 54A if we get those 2 Type 53H3s ?
I know 2 54a and 2 more h3 in dock, I heard of a purchase order earlier so I’m not sure if those 2 h3 are bought and undergoing overhaul and or we’ll buy 54a or not.
Edit: yes they already signed for 2 more h3 053s
Question is will they also get the 054a

Last edited:
2 h2 and 2 h3
Latter is the case

I know 2 54a and 2 more h3 in dock, I heard of a purchase order earlier so I’m not sure if those 2 h3 are bought and undergoing overhaul and or we’ll buy 54a or not.
Edit: yes they already signed for 2 more h3 053s
Question is will they also get the 054a

Cool but even if we get the 54A is still doesn't suit our needs for next gen stealth frigates.

Bay of Bengal is becoming competitive day by day , Type53h3s is alright but the only war capable ships I see is our Ulsan Class Frigate and if we get the 54A then that too.

Idk about submarines

BAY OF BENGAL (Nov. 7, 2020) Ships from the Bangladesh Navy meet with USNS Millinocket (T-EPF 3) in the Bay of Bengal as part of the sea phase of Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training (CARAT) Bangladesh 2020. This year marks the 26th iteration of CARAT, a multinational exercise designed to enhance U.S. and partner navies' abilities to operate together in response to traditional and non-traditional maritime security challenges in the Indo-Pacific region. (U.S. Navy photo by Lt. Alexander Laabs)

1604814756224.png

1604814793210.png

1604814822438.png

1604814844566.png

1604814885861.png

BAY OF BENGAL (Nov. 7, 2020) Ships from the Bangladesh Navy meet with USNS Millinocket (T-EPF 3) in the Bay of Bengal as part of the sea phase of Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training (CARAT) Bangladesh 2020. This year marks the 26th iteration of CARAT, a multinational exercise designed to enhance U.S. and partner navies' abilities to operate together in response to traditional and non-traditional maritime security challenges in the Indo-Pacific region. (U.S. Navy photo by Lt. Alexander Laabs)

View attachment 686723

View attachment 686724

View attachment 686725

View attachment 686726

View attachment 686727

Pretty cool , I have see a U.S Vietnam war era carrier before in NYC that you can visit.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom