What's new

Bangladesh Navy

In our context, LHDs will enable BA and SWADs to conduct amphibious assault on enemy shores.

While this is an important capability to have even for defensive doctrines, their are many precursors to amphibious assault thst we need to address.

We need to secure the air with fighter jets and sea with warships, submarines and ASW/ASuW helicopters before any amphibious assault can take place as otherwise LHDs will become an expensive fodder for enemy fighter jets and warships.

2027 ? Dont even expect it before 2032
Navy needs to fill a lot of gaps before they can include a helicopter carrier

Eh 2029-2030 , but yes that's why I didn't get too happy for the news

What the navy is missing is

1: Next gen frigates 6-8 of them
2: Newer submarines
3: Tons of ASW helicopters
4: Maritime strike fighters

But judging how Bangaldesh Navy operates , won't be too surprised if those bois get a dam helicopter carrier first or start the tender for LHDs

We'll eventually need a carrier , just we need to buy the basics like frigates and subs first before we get a giant floating helipad.

We will need to gaurd our LHDs with something , we don't even have a frigate program parter yet which isn't good news for our navy
In our context, LHDs will enable BA and SWADs to conduct amphibious assault on enemy shores.

While this is an important capability to have even for defensive doctrines, their are many precursors to amphibious assault thst we need to address.

We need to secure the air with fighter jets and sea with warships, submarines and ASW/ASuW helicopters before any amphibious assault can take place as otherwise LHDs will become an expensive fodder for enemy fighter jets and warships.

Bangladesh Navy does have a plan , but yes we will need to gaurd our carriers with state of the art SAMs and CIWS.

Also these LHDs are gonna be in mostly UN missions I feel like , mass heli transport.

If we do get it , I wonder what will they name it ?

BNS Sheik Hasina ? BNS Sheik Rasel ? Lol

Last edited:
Bir konna? Lmao this feels like some propaganda from the 70s and 80s
I wonder hows the next gen frigate program project going ?

These Type 53H3s are there for a stop gap frigates
Work stalled because yard workers aren’t experienced in building anything larger than a patrol craft and they haven’t been able to work out training deals, first two ships will definitely be built abroad

Bir konna? Lmao this feels like some propaganda from the 70s and 80s

Work stalled because yard workers aren’t experienced in building anything larger than a patrol craft and they haven’t been able to work out training deals, first two ships will definitely be built abroad

Of course every thing stalls in Bangaldesh like a 737 MAX , Since it's 6 frigates can we get Italy or South Korea as a partner ?

Of course every thing stalls in Bangaldesh like a 737 MAX , Since it's 6 frigates can we get Italy or South Korea as a partner ?
Dude, new frigates are not birthday cakes that you simply pick up at the bakery.

You cannot simply equate and attribute the delay in the frigate project to general bereaucratic sluggishness and inefficiencies in Bangladesh.

Understand that these will be brand new frigates that will serve BN for many decades unlike the used Chinese frigates that BN simply buys, uses and disposes.

These frigates will be larger and the on board systems selected will shape BN's future capabilities and system configurations.

For example, if Chinese weapon systems are selected for these frigates, BN will remain stuck with Chinese systems for decades as it will be difficult to then later integrate Western systems in the future.

If they select Western systems, they have to consider the fact that that costs will be much higher to acquire and maintain the systems (for these frigates and also any future vessels to maintain compatibility) and that no supplier credit will be available. If the govt struggles to continually fund procurement of Western systems and maintain good relations with Western nations over the next few decades, BN's operational readiness will suffer if their systems become predominantly Western.

BN also has to consider what technologies IN and UMN field.

This frigate project is novel to BN and has long lasting implications. They cannot simply rush into it.

Now before @The Ronin accuses me of setting different standards for BN:
Unlike BAF, BN has not been thumb-twiddling for decades. Despite funding constraints they have maintained decent deterrence capabilities by making smart purchases of used equipment. Unlike BAF, BN will not struggle to find trained manpower to operate brand new hardware as the organisation has steadily expanded by operating the used ships.

Last edited:
Dude, new frigates are not birthday cakes that you simply pick up at the bakery.

You cannot simply equate and attribute the delay in the frigate project to general bereaucratic sluggishness and inefficiencies in Bangladesh.

Understand that these will be brand new frigates that will serve BN for many decades unlike the used Chinese frigates that BN simply buys, uses and disposes.

These frigates will be larger and the on board systems selected will shape BN's future capabilities and system configurations.

For example, if Chinese weapon systems are selected for these frigates, BN will remain stuck with Chinese systems for decades as it will be difficult to then later integrate Western systems in the future.

If they select Western systems, they have to consider the fact that that costs will be much higher to acquire and maintain the systems (for these frigates and also any future vessels to maintain compatibility) and that no supplier credit will be available. If the govt struggles to continually fund procurement of Western systems and maintain good relations with Western nations over the next few decades, BN's operational readiness will suffer if their systems become predominantly Western.

BN also has to consider what technologies IN and UMN field.

This frigate project is novel to BN and has long lasting implications. They cannot simply rush into it.

Now before @The Ronin accuses me of setting different standards for BN:
Unlike BAF, BN has not been thumb-twiddling for decades. Despite funding constraints they have maintained decent deterrence capabilities by making smart purchases of used equipment. Unlike BAF, BN will not struggle to find trained manpower to operate brand new hardware as the organisation has steadily expanded by operating the used ships.

True , I wonder if it's a Chinese improved design frigate or maybe even a Singaporean frigate.

Of course it will have western weapons or sensors on it , I'm sure when this Covid thing goes down the next gen frigate program will resume.

True , I wonder if it's a Chinese improved design frigate or maybe even a Singaporean frigate.

Of course it will have western weapons or sensors on it , I'm sure when this Covid thing goes down the next gen frigate program will resume.

Do not too sure on Western sensors at least.

BN's real threat is IN and so China would be best for this. MN does not really need much firepower to take care of by BN.

IN threat is the reason why I am pretty certain that BN will buy Chinese submarines again.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom