What's new

Bangladesh Navy

He red underwater hull shouldn’t be rusty like that whatsoever strange
It stopped visiting a dockyard for awhile. Usually a ship will go scheduled maintainance every 2-3 years.

Though it seems a little early to retire a 35 year old ship. But crew accommodation was horrible & the combat control room was rather small. It was good enough for the '70s or '80s but certainly not good enough in 2020's.

Not rust, it's siltish mud/sand from the shoreline.
It's mud. Puky & smelly mud. The last fleck of sand on that shoreline washed away long before most of us learned to spell the word "sand" :lol:

Last edited:
Some people have also stolen Jiangdao class (Type-056) corvettes from the Chinese and named it "Shadhinota class".

You cannot just name classes of ships you import.

Well - I don't know. Class names can change, if there are some differences (like C13B) for NEW ships custom-built overseas. For Hamilton class cutter types transferred as older assets, Navies usually do not change class types.

Shadhinota class has significant differences from Jiangdao 056 class, with hull displacement being different (1300 tons vs. 1500 tons for Jiangdao class), superstructure being quite different (especially bridge area profile), sensors and armaments are also Western sourced, some of them. So much so, that Chinese themselves have named it C13B. Some degree of bespoke customization is evident.

The same Jiangdao class was changed for Nigeria and Algeria too I believe? Nigeria version (P18N Centenary class) was with a much larger 1800 ton hull with less armament, more like an OPV. For P18N, P denotes Patrol and N is for Nigeria.

This is 056 Jiangdao class for PLAN - look at bridge area
iu

Now look at Bridge area for C13B Shadhinota Class (C is for corvette, B is for Bangladesh, 13 for 1300 ton displacement)
iu

This is Nigerian P18N - note the hull, much more lengthened compared to the stock 056 class. The bow profile and bridge area are also very different.
iu

I am yet to see a BN document or release calling them "shadhinota class"; It is a Bangladeshi internet thing.
Class designation is usually done based on the first ship laid or whatever name the designer designates them (Type-056).

You are correct, class is designated by first name of the first ship in a series of similar builds. Unless when role of the ship changes, then it is a different class. For example the large patrol crafts (LPC) built at KSEW, the ASW versions have a different role and different class name compared to the Large Patrol crafts bought from China. There may be no analogues for those LPC's from PLAN, I don't know of any.

Last edited:
Not rust, it's siltish mud/sand from the shoreline.
Yeah, could be. Really though it’s not that difficult to build a dry dock to beach this ship as a tourist attraction

Well - I don't know. Class names can change, if there are some differences (like C13B) for NEW ships custom-built overseas. For Hamilton class cutter types transferred as older assets, Navies usually do not change class types.

Shadhinota class has significant differences from Jiangdao 056 class, with hull displacement being different (1300 tons vs. 1500 tons for Jiangdao class), superstructure being quite different (especially bridge area profile), sensors and armaments are also Western sourced, some of them. So much so, that Chinese themselves have named it C13B. Some degree of bespoke customization is evident.

The same Jiangdao class was changed for Nigeria and Algeria too I believe? Nigeria version (P18N Centenary class) was with a much larger 1800 ton hull with less armament, more like an OPV. For P18N, P denotes Patrol and N is for Nigeria.

iu

Now look at Bridge area for C13B Shadhinota Class (C is for corvette, B is for Bangladesh, 13 for 1300 ton displacement)
iu

This is Nigerian P18N - note the hull, much more lengthened compared to the stock 056 class. The bow profile and bridge area are also very different.
iu

You are correct, class is designated by first name of the first ship in a series of similar builds. Unless role changes, then it is a different class. For example the large patrol crafts (LPC) built at KSEW, the ASW versions have a different role and different class name compared to the Large Patrol crafts bought from China. There may be no analogues for those LPC's from PLAN, I don't know of any.
Wow I didn’t realize there was a Structural difference until you mentioned, the Chinese jangdao looks more streamlined

Yeah, could be. Really though it’s not that difficult to build a dry dock to beach this ship as a tourist attraction

Wow I didn’t realize there was a Structural difference until you mentioned, the Chinese jangdao looks more streamlined

Yes there are differences. The Jiangdao hull design is a bit more modern and the original 056 superstructure is stealthy with faceted design but our navy chose a more practical square box design. But naval requirements from Navy to Navy differ of course, even for powerplant. The electronics in our vessels are made by Leonardo, Kelvin Hughes, Thales (some also Chinese) while those for PLAN are all sourced locally.

More recently in Bangladesh Navy, there have been standardization efforts on IFF equipment, networked war-fighting suites with inputs from various systems and even multiple ships/aircraft and I have no doubt these will be all sourced from the West (and maybe also Turkey at some point).

By the way - I think the C28A heavy corvette the Algerians ordered from China is even better option for Bangladesh' next corvette design after the present one (C13B). Even though this was designated a corvette, look at how this is even better than the F22P or 053H3. Being in a smaller Bangladesh patrol area, this 2800 ton ship may be better than a large frigate - something large like the 054 class size (4000 tons).

argelia+c-28a.jpg

I am yet to see a BN document or release calling them "shadhinota class"; It is a Bangladeshi internet thing.
Class designation is usually done based on the first ship laid or whatever name the designer designates them (Type-056).

iu

iu

This is Nigerian P18N - note the
You guys are weirdo, you create issue which does not exist in the first place. More than 90% of BN ships are 2nd hand which were in service with different names before.
Anyway check the writing on brigade on white banner. Can you spell it what is written there ?
IMG_20200630_152341.png

You guys are weirdo, you create issue which does not exist in the first place. More than 90% of BN ships are 2nd hand which were in service with different names before.
Anyway check the writing on brigade on white banner. Can you spell it what is written there ?
View attachment 646341

Do you understand the difference between "BNS Shadhinota" and "Shadhinota class"?

Do you understand the difference between "BNS Shadhinota" and "Shadhinota class"?
*** head banging*** Some are calling because it was first in the batch, some are not. Our official designation is type C13B, since it is more of numbering, some likes it to call by name of class by first ship. It is not that big deal, period, we need discussion on major issues like ship project, armaments, tactics etc. O

By the way - I think the C28A heavy corvette the Algerians ordered from China is even better option for Bangladesh' next corvette design after the present one (C13B). Even though this was designated a corvette, look at how this is even better than the F22P or 053H3. Being in a smaller Bangladesh patrol area, this 2800 ton ship may be better than a large frigate - something large like the 054 class size (4000 tons).

argelia+c-28a.jpg

I have also thought about this particular type C28A. This looks to be an almost ideal design for BN to operate as a light multi-role frigate. The only issue I have with this design is the 8cell FM-90. It would have been a flawless ship if there was 8cell VLS with medium range SAM capabilities. Also an integrated mast would increase stealth!

*** head banging*** Some are calling because it was first in the batch, some are not. Our official designation is type C13B, since it is more of numbering, some likes it to call by name of class by first ship. It is not that big deal, period, we need discussion on major issues like ship project, armaments, tactics etc. O

Who the hell are you to dictate what we should or should not discuss here? Navy ships should be classified accurately as they are national symbols.

It's very ironic for Mr. Cat Memes to lecture others on discussing "major issues". Get a life.

Last edited:
Who the hell are you to dictate what we should or should not here? Navy ships should be classified accurately as they are national symbols.

It's very ironic for Mr. Cat Memes to lecture others on discussing "major issues". Get a life.
Seriously ! ! This is your response by going personal ? So much rich from the idiot, you need to get a life who simply can't take suggestions. Even Chinese elite member does not see any problem in it.
The so-called "Jiangdao class" is from NATO, while Type 056 is from PLAN.

So, "Shadhinota class" is ok.

Last edited:
I have also thought about this particular type C28A. This looks to be an almost ideal design for BN to operate as a light multi-role frigate. The only issue I have with this design is the 8cell FM-90. It would have been a flawless ship if there was 8cell VLS with medium range SAM capabilities. Also an integrated mast would increase stealth!

Slowly VLS will start to be introduced into future light frigates (size of like, say - Bangabandhu Class) and heavy corvettes (size of C28A). VLS fitments are not that common in China even for lighter frigates, much less smaller navies like ours. Cost and complexity are factors, as are issues of standardizing magazines of multi-size and multi-type missiles to fit these smaller VLS installations.

Currently VLS only exist in Asian Navy Frigates weighing over 3000 tons or so.

Seriously ! ! This is your response by going personal ? So much rich from the idiot, you need to get a life who simply can't take suggestions. Even Chinese elite member does not see any problem in it.

OK we are fighting over small differences. Guys please don't fight....:-(

Who the hell are you to dictate what we should or should not discuss here? Navy ships should be classified accurately as they are national symbols.

Mate he’s got a point. Usually ship classes are designated by the name of the first ship of that type... since BNS shadinota was the first ship of C13B class... it wouldn’t be wrong to call it shadinota class

Absolutely rubbish idea. Even suicidal if we consider C-28A as frigate. It's surprising that people still want warship armed with FM-90 SAM. There are lot better options (2000+ tons-3000 tons) available from British, Dutch, French, Italian, Korean, Turkish and even from Chinese shipbuilders. AFAIK the Tiger class frigate concept by CSOC is also based on the hull of C-28A and has 16 VLS. BN urgently needs larger frigate with more and stronger air defense capability. 8/16 cells are only ideal for heavy corvette/light frigate which BN needs in it's corvette fleet.

Tiger-class-frigate-02.jpg

Absolutely rubbish idea. Even suicidal if we consider C-28A as frigate. It's surprising that people still want warship armed with FM-90 SAM. There are lot better options (2000+ tons-3000 tons) available from British, Dutch, French, Italian, Korean, Turkish and even from Chinese shipbuilders. AFAIK the Tiger class frigate concept by CSOC is also based on the hull of C-28A and has 16 VLS. BN urgently needs larger frigate with more and stronger air defense capability. 8/16 cells are only ideal for heavy corvette/light frigate which BN needs in it's corvette fleet.

images - 2020-07-02T043020.917.jpeg

This one looks very promising to me

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom