What's new

Bangladesh Navy

Nice!

I remember my maternal grandparents being from Manikganj.

I remember visiting their village and farmland there wayyyyyyy back in the day.
Hometown would be wrong to say, grammer bari could be said, in bikrampur. My hometown is in Kuwait xD

Moving away from China may not be the right approach for next-gen frigates.

These 6+2 frigates will be far too powerful for Myanmar, although they will be useful against the savages, and will be mainly tasked with keeping India at bay. The Type-56 corvettes and the older frigates, along with subs, are more than enough for the Barmans.
Chinese current frigate technology will provide the perfect combination of firepower/cost for a country like BD.

India is far too big a market for EU nations to not buckle under Indian pressure. What assurances does BD have for supplies in case of war with India?

BD should strike the right balance between Chinese/Western designs for it's military modernisation. Just knee-jerking away from China is not a good idea.
Frigate requirement has increased to 16 now. So not bad considering they’ll be our entire future fleet. It’s not that bd is ditching China rather bd is being very neutral and receptive towards offer from any nation now. So we don’t have to answer to China or Russia when it comes to their interest.
Negotiation for 2 more ongoing.
So we have 6 active +2 incoming and +2 being negotiated

Frigate requirement has increased to 16 now. So not bad considering they’ll be our entire future fleet. It’s not that bd is ditching China rather bd is being very neutral and receptive towards offer from any nation now. So we don’t have to answer to China or Russia when it comes to their interest.
Negotiation for 2 more ongoing.
So we have 6 active +2 incoming and +2 being negotiated

Are you sure that BD can afford 16 cutting-edge frigates?
I would love for it to be true.:cheers:

My point is that BD needs to source weapons from both China and the West going forward. This is both to get a good deal from either side(competition) and also to have reliable supplier against India(China) and Myanmar(West).

As already explained the next-gen frigates will be overkill for Myanmar and will certainly be used as a deterrent to IN in the Bay of Bengal.
Only Chinese hardware can be reliably used against India as China has a vested interest in keeping India boxed in. In times of war with India, expect Chinese supplies to keep flowing into BD. The West will likely support India due to containment of China and/or access to it's large market.

By all means buy stuff from the West in order to diversify and have a guaranteed supplier against Myanmar, but getting everything from the West will mean BD cannot fight an effective war against India should the need, however remote, arises.

@Avicenna

My point is that BD needs to source weapons from both China and the West going forward. This is both to get a good deal from either side(competition) and also to have reliable supplier against India(China) and Myanmar(West).

As already explained the next-gen frigates will be overkill for Myanmar and will certainly be used as a deterrent to IN in the Bay of Bengal.
Only Chinese hardware can be reliably used against India as China has a vested interest in keeping India boxed in. In times of war with India, expect Chinese supplies to keep flowing into BD. The West will likely support India due to containment of China and/or access to it's large market.

By all means buy stuff from the West in order to diversify and have a guaranteed supplier against Myanmar, but getting everything from the West will mean BD cannot fight an effective war against India should the need, however remote, arises.

@Avicenna

Balance China/West as much as possible.

Though, as time goes on it this may be politically very difficult to do.

(Have to choose a side etc....)

Your points about India are very valid.

However, Myanmar presents a more immediate and realistic threat.

Bangladesh for the time being seems to be in a domestic relationship with India.

Moving away from China may not be the right approach for next-gen frigates.

These 6+2 frigates will be far too powerful for Myanmar, although they will be useful against the savages, and will be mainly tasked with keeping India at bay. The Type-56 corvettes and the older frigates, along with subs, are more than enough for the Barmans.
Chinese current frigate technology will provide the perfect combination of firepower/cost for a country like BD.

India is far too big a market for EU nations to not buckle under Indian pressure. What assurances does BD have for supplies in case of war with India?

BD should strike the right balance between Chinese/Western designs for it's military modernisation. Just knee-jerking away from China is not a good idea.

Whoa that's new coming from you. :o: If i remember correctly you were also cheering for Western frigate not so long. Why the sudden change of heart? :what: Did you fall in love with a Chinese beauty or did China pay you huge amount of cash? :lol:

Jokes aside did you forget that China wanted 50% share of CDDL? Why do you think they are calling for a new LPC design when they already have Durjoy LPC's ToT? Why would they get Chinese stuff if they can get better western stuff? Especially for frigate or even bigger ships which needs bigger punch. Another thing is is we are building these ships locally with help from West who have more experience and knowledge on this matter. It will be better to learn from them to achieve better quality. Looks how Turkey built up their defense industry with knowledge from West.

Agree with the balancing act though. No other country can offer such variety of supersonic AShM, LACM and ballistic missile except Russia and China though. It would have been better if Type-54A, J-10 and Type-39A saw major export success except Pakistan and Don't worry, we are not totally ditching China as they are still the supplier of the materials of our military hardware and there's lot more room to work with them. And i don't think India have much influence over UK, Italy, Netherlands, Sweden and specially Turkey. And it not that we are invading them so don't see the reason for other country to stop the supply. But if something bad happen we can always go back to China, Russia like other countries do.

Last edited:
BN doctrine necessitated two parallel platforms of comparative features in every displacement category.

BN has a demand for 15 LPCs. And they already signed for 8 Durjoy class with China. Rest of it will be western origin.

Same for the frigate program. BN has two different displacement category of frigates. One is upto 25000 ton & second is +4000 ton.

If they source the +4k tons from EU/west, 25k will come from China. It's as simple as that.

It's cost to utility, quality vs quantity, utility vs speciality issue.

@Avicenna

Balance China/West as much as possible.

Though, as time goes on it this may be politically very difficult to do.

(Have to choose a side etc....)

Your points about India are very valid.

However, Myanmar presents a more immediate and realistic threat.

Bangladesh for the time being seems to be in a domestic relationship with India.
At the end, bd will have to be like turkey, develop its own military industrial complex to reduce dependence on others. Until that’s achieved, balancing act is necessary

That's some new and hearing for the first time. Are you talking about Type 53H3 or something similar? Why will they buy 2500 ton frigate when they already have C-13 and 4500 tons in mind? What's their mission will be? Want more details.
I reckon this is how it will go too. But I don’t know how bd plans to go about this... if bd will have new 2500 ton designs to build too or not

Anyone know about the new subs negotiation? Heard some chatter about it. Western and eastern options looked into

These are some of the concepts the Bangladesh Navy may consider to meet its requirement for Large Patrol Craft II (Anti-Surface Warfare) Project in 2020.

All of the candidates have strong features that ensure they are considered in the short list.

They are all armed with 8 x Exocet anti-ship missiles, which have anti-ship and land attack capability at 180 km. The warships can be fully integrated with Bangladesh Armed Forces existing IFF and Tactical Data Link, Bangla-22.

These warships have a range of between 2,000 to 2,500 nautical miles with maximum speeds of over 27 knots.

They are fitted with their own Combat Information Centre (CIC) and the latest generation navigation radar systems, fire control radar systems, electro-optical targeting systems, remote weapons systems, mine laying capabilities and limited anti-air warfare capabilities.

Stealth is is one of the primary considerations of the project with emphasis laid out for low signature emitting systems, coatings and fittings.

The Bangladesh Navy is having the craft built fully indigenously at the Khulna Shipyard, which has delivered LPC I (Durjoy class) and Padma class (CPC) successfully.

The displacement, sensors and combat systems all indicate the craft as being more like corvettes than minor patrol craft.

Khulna Shipyard will mass produce a successful design with Transfer of Technology from Western countries.

Exclusive to #Defseca #BangladeshNavy #KhulnaShipyard #MadeInBangladesh

76759945_551299542323196_6940697593064194048_o.jpg

No, our frigate program is delayed and navy is increasing fleet strength and replace old ship like Hamilton class. They might buy two more second hand frigates until new frigate come. And these were launched in 1997-98. So they still have lots of service life left.
Hamiltons won't be replaced soon. BNS Osman will be.

These are some of the concepts the Bangladesh Navy may consider to meet its requirement for Large Patrol Craft II (Anti-Surface Warfare) Project in 2020.

All of the candidates have strong features that ensure they are considered in the short list.

They are all armed with 8 x Exocet anti-ship missiles, which have anti-ship and land attack capability at 180 km. The warships can be fully integrated with Bangladesh Armed Forces existing IFF and Tactical Data Link, Bangla-22.

These warships have a range of between 2,000 to 2,500 nautical miles with maximum speeds of over 27 knots.

They are fitted with their own Combat Information Centre (CIC) and the latest generation navigation radar systems, fire control radar systems, electro-optical targeting systems, remote weapons systems, mine laying capabilities and limited anti-air warfare capabilities.

Stealth is is one of the primary considerations of the project with emphasis laid out for low signature emitting systems, coatings and fittings.

The Bangladesh Navy is having the craft built fully indigenously at the Khulna Shipyard, which has delivered LPC I (Durjoy class) and Padma class (CPC) successfully.

The displacement, sensors and combat systems all indicate the craft as being more like corvettes than minor patrol craft.

Khulna Shipyard will mass produce a successful design with Transfer of Technology from Western countries.

Exclusive to #Defseca #BangladeshNavy #KhulnaShipyard #MadeInBangladesh

76759945_551299542323196_6940697593064194048_o.jpg
These are just assumptions. According to the tender, main gun will be 30mm (also worth mentioning that BN mentioned furthur modification will be considered if covered by budget). I think BN is considering something from South Korea as most of the specs go with the feature of PKG class hull with extended body.

Can‘t understand why BD spends so much on navy compared to land force and air force. I have recently done some summarize on military structure of different countries and found that BD has such a small land force and air force compared to its population.
eg. With similar military budget, Myanmar has as many as 5 armored division while BD has only 2 armored bridage. Myanmar has 6 squadrons of fighters while BD has only 2.5 squadrons.
Without enough fighters cover the heavens, ships , except submarine, can not even sail out of the port. And weak land force may make you lose your whole basement including port and airport. So generally a country will set up land force first, then air force and last navy, while BD is in the opposite direction.

That's some new and hearing for the first time. Are you talking about Type 53H3 or something similar? Why will they buy 2500 ton frigate when they already have C-13 and 4500 tons in mind? What's their mission will be? Want more details.

Without going into one of my TLDR heavily illustrated long-a$$ posts, a 2500 ton light frigate (like the Bangabandhu) has its role to be very different than a heavy 4500 ton frigate. It has to do with patrol range, endurance, blue/brown water role, assistance to other countries, type of expeditionary role and these are just a few things without even touching the main differentiation factors of weapons and sensor fit-out.

Can‘t understand why BD spends so much on navy compared to land force and air force. I have recently done some summarize on military structure of different countries and found that BD has such a small land force and air force compared to its population.
eg. With similar military budget, Myanmar has as many as 5 armored division while BD has only 2 armored bridage. Myanmar has 6 squadrons of fighters while BD has only 2.5 squadrons.
Without enough fighters cover the heavens, ships , except submarine, can not even sail out of the port. And weak land force may make you lose your whole basement including port and airport. So generally a country will set up land force first, then air force and last navy, while BD is in the opposite direction.

Army you could argue qualitative difference. We don't hire child soldiers. Myanmar has one third of our GDP I believe. How would you operate a war? You don't need money?

Navy is there to keep export/import lanes open. That is the first thing to block in a war scenario.

Yes. You are right. A sqdrn of JF 17 can neutralize the BN in an hour in case of war.
FB_IMG_1573742546296.jpeg
FB_IMG_1573742607995.jpeg
FB_IMG_1573742506307.jpeg

Send them damn birds our way! :-)

No guarantee about them going back...
Why are you so sure . . ?
While . .
. .only one out of six frigates has an obsolete HQ 7 SHORAD and 40 mm CIWS, and the rest have no SAM or CIWS.

. . only four out of six frigates have SSMs.

. . three out of six frigates are more than 30 years old.

. . two out of six frigates are almost 50 years old.

Why are you so sure . . ?
While . .
. .only one out of six frigates has an obsolete HQ 7 SHORAD and 40 mm CIWS, and the rest have no SAM or CIWS.

. . only four out of six frigates have SSMs.

. . three out of six frigates are more than 30 years old.

. . two out of six frigates are almost 50 years old.

Under-estimating adversaries makes for great propaganda copy and convinces uneducated fourteen year olds tending to water buffaloes to join the Tatmadaw, but not much else.

Like I said, send the damn birds, let's test this out.

Where will you find fuel to fly your birds with by the way? How will you buy rations for the army? Propaganda?

You need money.

Please go fix your third-rate economy and infra first before more Japanese and Koreans leave...don't worry about us... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom