What's new

Bangladesh Navy

Well, Malaysia is a country rich with mineral deposits. It can certainly afford a few billion dolllar mistakes, but, a poor Bangladesh cannot.
The improved Korean versions of the type 209 were sold to Indonesia for about US$330 million each. Bangladesh's two refurbished Ming 035G's were purchased for US$75+US$75 million+$50million(graft). Either way - subs aren't cheap compared to floaty things.

Only way to cut down cost for a new sub program is to build them in a yard yourself - which is what Pakistan did. While this is quite Shabbash-worthy - did they actually save any money? Fauji dealings are shadowy in any case. Maybe one of our Pakistani brothers can comment on this...

Another heavier variant of the type 209 is in use by the IN which is the Shishumar class (4 boats). These subs have a displacement of 1660 tons and two were built at MDL (Mazagon Docks Mumbai).

Bangladesh in next to years need to increase its Submarine force to around 6 and Frigates and Corvettes around 16 with around 24 Missile Boats and also start need to get Fighter jets For Air Force in really huge numbers

Yaar don't be like Nishan, BD Navy can't afford it. As much as we know BD Armed Forces are procuring most of equipment as stop gap 10-12 Years before they really spend well, logical step.

Yaar don't be like Nishan, BD Navy can't afford it. As much as we know BD Armed Forces are procuring most of equipment as stop gap 10-12 Years before they really spend well, logical step.
Sir I am not Nishan I know what I am talking about Bangladesh is increasing its Armed Forces and for past 5 years their focus is on Navy Sir and they can reach 16 Frigates and Corvettes soon and should buy 6 Submarines and as for Missile Boats they themselves say they intend to go for 25 of them so good Navy to have than they should start focusing on Air Force and Army

Sir I am not Nishan I know what I am talking about Bangladesh is increasing its Armed Forces and for past 5 years their focus is on Navy Sir and they can reach 16 Frigates and Corvettes soon and should buy 6 Submarines and as for Missile Boats they themselves say they intend to go for 25 of them so good Navy to have than they should start focusing on Air Force and Army

I know I said don't be like him he wants entire world's stuff. It is expensive it all depends on their Economy like Pakistan any good stuff to see would be post 2025.

Last edited:
I know I siad don't be like him he wants entire world's stuff. It is expensive it all depends on their Economy like Pakistan any good stuff to see would be post 2025.
Sir they are already around 12 Frigates and Corvettes only 4 more are needed and according to plan revealed by them they would go for 25 Missile Boats and they are going to buy Submarines to so as for Navy they are close but for Air Force and Navy still a lot needed to be done

While you may be using your logic of 'Bhookhey Nangey Bangali' from the seventies, the reality on the ground maybe different. I believe (and I say this with no malice or grudge whatsoever) that most Pakistanis or Indians posting on this forum have almost no real clue what Bangladesh today is like culturally, industrially, infrastructure-wise or what it is capable of militarily. The situation is akin to a group of blind people trying to paw an elephant and trying to describe various parts of it. The blame is shared by all of us Bangladeshis on this forum (hangs head in shame). :rolleyes1:

There are two very big logical reasons why military spending in Bangladesh will continue unabated.

1. Hasina's ongoing need to placate the military (especially the Navy) and keeping them happy with shares of defense purchase graft-money to prevent a coup.
2. The seemingly unlimited revenue from the UN in keeping a war-machinery complex trained and deployed across the globe.

While you may be using your logic of 'Bhookhey Nangey Bangali' from the seventies, the reality on the ground maybe different. I believe (and I say this with no malice or grudge whatsoever) that most Pakistanis or Indians posting on this forum have almost no real clue what Bangladesh today is like culturally, industrially, infrastructure-wise or what it is capable of militarily. The situation is akin to a group of blind people trying to paw an elephant and trying to describe various parts of it. The blame is shared by all of us Bangladeshis on this forum (hangs head in shame). :rolleyes1:

There are two very big logical reasons why military spending in Bangladesh will continue unabated.

1. Hasina's ongoing need to placate the military (especially the Navy) and keeping them happy with shares of defense purchase graft-money to prevent a coup.
2. The seemingly unlimited revenue from the UN in keeping a war-machinery complex trained and deployed across the globe.
Sorry Sir whole world can see Sir not only Pakistan yes you are doing good for Navy but as for your Army and Air Force they are in really bad conditions you need to get lot of equipment for them Sir

Sir they are already around 12 Frigates and Corvettes only 4 more are needed and according to plan revealed by them they would go for 25 Missile Boats and they are going to buy Submarines to so as for Navy they are close but for Air Force and Navy still a lot needed to be done

This I have to admit is realistic. Existing missile boats are inline for replacements and they could be at least 25 (if not more) in number. Two type 056 corvettes imported and two of the same built locally would complete four units. And there could be more refurbished Korean corvettes and at least one more ex-USCG cutter needed.

The expansion in number of the larger missile boats (650 ton Durjoy class FAC upward) will almost all be for UN patrol usage and complement. The missile boats could easily be built locally - even in the third tier Bangladeshi yards.

Sorry Sir whole world can see Sir not only Pakistan yes you are doing good for Navy but as for your Army and Air Force they are in really bad conditions you need to get lot of equipment for them Sir

That everyone in Bangladesh agrees. All in good time I guess.

What is not possible in the short term may be possible in the long term. Note that we have come forward since 1971 before which the eastern part of Pakistan was completely neglected by both the civilian and military establishments of the govt of Pakistan.

What is not possible in the short term may be possible in the long term. Note that we have come forward since 1971 before which the eastern part of Pakistan was completely neglected by both the civilian and military establishments of the govt of Pakistan.

Hi, it is irrelevant discussion of neglect by whomever even PN has been neglected for a longtime but now things are a bit promising, lets discuss TODAY.

While you may be using your logic of 'Bhookhey Nangey Bangali' from the seventies, the reality on the ground maybe different.

I don't know why you and eastwatch took my post wrong i remotely did not think of this BD can't buy anything. I meant was that BD Armed Forces have plans to modernize so all new and near new procurements would take place after 8-12 years span which is good there would be alot of cash and it make sense economy is booming better than Pakistan. What is urgently required/necessairy has been ordered/purchased rest will come in time. Am I clear, Roger!?

Actually Malaysia has a problem with their submarine and can not dive

Type 039 also use MTU engine

I believe we are getting Type 035B, does it have MTU engine?

Also, the two Type 035B we are getting, will they be refitted with new engine, sonar, navigation system and weapons systems?

BN should keep an eye on Type 23 FFG from Royal Navy the remaining first is to retire would be around 2020-2022 and the last one in 2030 but by than better Chinese Ships at right costs would be available affordable.

We don't know maybe Royal Navy offer them for sales even earlier in 2020s.

Type 23 frigate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom