What's new

Bangladesh Navy indigenous Frigate development program.

I'm really pissed about the 300 more type 59 tank purchase. How could bd do such a fuckup. :(
probably upgraded kits for Type 59 which was already in BD inventory. upgrading is good choice but u guys why dont choose brand new Type 96 or more mbt 2000. cos upgraded cost will almost close to price of new tanks as all components (engine , CMS , weaponary ) need to replace except chassic. meanwhile the brand new T-90MS is just around $4m.

probably upgraded kits for Type 59 which was already in BD inventory. upgrading is good choice but u guys why dont choose brand new Type 96 or more mbt 2000. cos upgraded cost will almost close to price of new tanks as all components (engine , CMS , weaponary ) need to replace except chassic. meanwhile the brand new T-90MS is just around $4m.
The problem is tank development in recent years have gained pace again and it's pretty bad time to buy a tank atm and not have it obsolete in 10 years time.
Ex. Iraq

Comparable. Not even close to performance characteristics.

Really?

Let us see:

Type-59G:

Engine:730H.P. Diesel engine
Armour:Chinese 3rd generation ERA on front, turret and side skirts. Modular Composite armour on turret front. Cage armour on back of turret to protect from RPG hits
Gun: 125mm main gun with new turret (Type 96 turret)
Weight:40 tonnes

Type-96A

Engine: 780H.P. Diesel engine
Armour:Modular applique armor and ERA plates on hull front
Gun:125 mm smoothbore gun
Weight: 43 tonnes

So can you advise which tank is superior to the other here as I see little difference.
The Type-59G is able to fight the Type-96A as an equal. Type-99 is more advanced though.

Really?

Let us see:

Type-59G:

Engine:730H.P. Diesel engine
Armour:Chinese 3rd generation ERA on front, turret and side skirts. Modular Composite armour on turret front. Cage armour on back of turret to protect from RPG hits
Gun: 125mm main gun with new turret (Type 96 turret)
Weight:40 tonnes

Type-96A

Engine: 780H.P. Diesel engine
Armour:Modular applique armor and ERA plates on hull front
Gun:125 mm smoothbore gun
Weight: 43 tonnes

So can you advise whichg tank is superior to the other here as I see little difference.
The Type-59G is able to fight the Type-96A as an equal. Type-99 is more advanced though.
Just weight and engine power don't tell all the difference.
Installing a 12.5 cm gun with no room for autoloader let alone a gun rammer drastically reduces reload speed. Fewer shells carried.... ERA block compaable to kontakt 4 which has no chance against any anti tank missiles... Doesn't have electronic counter measures or comparable fire control... It's just an old relic that cost less for us to upgrade and keep in service. You think north Korean upgraded MBT which are basically t-62A with manpads has any chance against t-90 or Chinese modern tanks or korean, German, American tanks? Certainly not.
I would have given a more detailed comparison on these tanks but I just don't have the time to justify it. Sorry for that.

Just weight and engine power don't tell all the difference.
Installing a 12.5 cm gun with no room for autoloader let alone a gun rammer drastically reduces reload speed. Fewer shells carried.... ERA block compaable to kontakt 4 which has no chance against any anti tank missiles... Doesn't have electronic counter measures or comparable fire control... It's just an old relic that cost less for us to upgrade and keep in service. You think north Korean upgraded MBT which are basically t-62A with manpads has any chance against t-90 or Chinese modern tanks or korean, German, American tanks? Certainly not.
I would have given a more detailed comparison on these tanks but I just don't have the time to justify it. Sorry for that.

OK. You seem to have quite a bit of knowedge about tanks and so I may be wrong.

Yes, the Type-96 would have some advantage over the Type-59G but is the difference that great that Type-59G would get slaughtered by Type-96? I am not sure.

btw - Type-96 is not comparable to the best tanks like Leopard, Challenger 2, M1-Abrams and the Chinese Type-99, so I would not dismiss the Type-59G out of hand against Type-96.

OK. You seem to have quite a bit of knowedge about tanks and so I may be wrong.

Yes, the Type-96 would have some advantage over the Type-59G but is the difference that great that Type-59G would get slaughtered by Type-96? I am not sure.

btw - Type-96 is not comparable to the best tanks like Leopard, Challenger 2, M1-Abrams and the Chinese Type-99, so I would not dismiss the Type-59G out of hand against Type-96.
The type 99 is just too expensive for China to field in large numbers and hence type 96 supplements it with numbers. In tank warfare there should be good balance between number and superiority.

I wouldn't dismiss or say to replace them altogether but if you current inventory of tanks is about 500 tanks. At least 200 modern tanks like t-90 or the south korean tank like k-1

The type 99 is just too expensive for China to field in large numbers and hence type 96 supplements it with numbers. In tank warfare there should be good balance between number and superiority.

I wouldn't dismiss or say to replace them altogether but if you current inventory of tanks is about 500 tanks. At least 200 modern tanks like t-90 or the south korean tank like k-1

Type-59G was a cheap way for BD army to have enough tanks that had some chance to going up against the latest Indian tanks.

BD army is looking for around 2 regiments(100-120) of main battle tanks. It seems like the 44 MBT-2000s were a big disappointment and so a newer model like MBT-3000/VT-4 may be brought instead. Thailand has been buying them but they do come at a cost of around 6 million US dollars per tank.

Type-59G was a cheap way for BD army to have enough tanks that had some chance to going up against the latest Indian tanks.

BD army is looking for around 2 regiments(100-120) of main battle tanks. It seems like the 44 MBT-2000s were a big disappointment and so a newer model like MBT-3000/VT-4 may be brought instead. Thailand has been buying them but they do come at a cost of around 6 million US dollars per tank.

1) Does Bangladesh consider India it's primary military threat?

2) Is Soviet era first generation T-54A (Chinese version Type-50G) comparable to third generation T-90s?

3) If Bangladesh does consider India it's primary military threat, how is Bangladesh's 300 odd tanks (44 - MBT2000s, 50 - Type 69, 180 - Type 59G) planning to dominate India's 4500 odd newer tanks (350+ Arjun MBT, 1650 - T-90Ms, 2410 - T-72s)?

I will only answer your first post as i know nothing about tanks.

I don't think Bangaldesh sees any nation as an enemy. I think its only trying to strengthen its military for self defence from potential threats. By geography, of course, that means India and Myanmar.

I think the most likely scenario may be some sort of border or sea stand off with Myanmar. But with India, its too one sided of course.

Ultimately, the best weapon for Bangladesh is good diplomacy.

2) Is Soviet era first generation T-54A (Chinese version Type-50G) comparable to third generation T-90s?

3) If Bangladesh does consider India it's primary military threat, how is Bangladesh's 300 odd tanks (44 - MBT2000s, 50 - Type 69, 180 - Type 59G) planning to dominate India's 4500 odd newer tanks (350+ Arjun MBT, 1650 - T-90Ms, 2410 - T-72s)?
where did you get the type and number figures of Bangladeshi tanks ? :coffee:

I will only answer your first post as i know nothing about tanks.

I don't think Bangaldesh sees any nation as an enemy. I think its only trying to strengthen its military for self defence from potential threats. By geography, of course, that means India and Myanmar.

I think the most likely scenario may be some sort of border or sea stand off with Myanmar. But with India, its too one sided of course.

Ultimately, the best weapon for Bangladesh is good diplomacy.

What he said...

1) Does Bangladesh consider India it's primary military threat?

1) The Bangladesh military has to consider all potential threats...1. india 2. myanmar 3. mars

2) No where near comparable

3) Bangladesh does what all nations do, build a credible defence based on what its economy can afford.

Last edited:

MBT 3000 will be another big disappointment.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom