What's new

Bangladesh Military Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Only one out of five brigades being pulled out. So chill down guys.... we still have significant military presence in that area.
If your statement is true then the pull out is just symbolic. However, it may be a prelude to further pull out if Shaikh Hasina's name is included in the long list of candidates for the Nobel Peace Prize. Then, if her name is short listed by the committee, she may pull out all other brigades from CHT, who knows. After receiving 9 doctorate degrees last time, it is a Nobel Prize she now covets for, no doubt. To get one she will sell even her own mother.

are all the brigades under the command of the 24th Infantry Division?Does anybody know how the brigades of the army are structured?

some gay websites say that we claim that we hav 115 or something like this

lemme guess...that websites are operated by indians...i checked some indian websites and some of them claim we have 180 tanks!! wow, thats 65 more than what you said!!

Last edited:
The Moderators have done an excellent job creating this category.

The defence of Bangladesh is very important to me personally, as I have very close family friends there (we are so close, we are practically family). Also, some of my closest friends are Bangladeshi. I always joke with them, calling them East Pakistanis, but it's all for good fun. Therefore, you can bet I will be checking back on this thread.

Here's hoping the best for Bangladesh, and for Pak-Bangla relations.

Well said! :enjoy: Same goes from me for my Bangla Brothers! :smitten: :toast_sign:

CHT pullout starts today​

Star Online Report
In line with the government decision towards implementation of the Chittagong Hill Tracts Peace Accord 1997, an army camp is going to be withdrawn from Khagrachari this afternoon.

Talking to The Daily Star, Mohalchori Army Zone Commander (Acting) Major Mamunur Rashid said the process for withdrawal of the camp at Manikchari in Mohalchori upazila began this morning and will be completed by 5:00pm, reports our Khagrachhari correspondent.

In a major development, the government late last month decided to withdraw one brigade of troops and 35 temporary security camps from CHT areas by this September.

As many as 40 army personnel were engaged at the camp to ensure security in that area.

Mohalchori upazila Chairman Sona Ratan Chakma, UNO Saiful Arif and officer-in-charge of Manikchari Police Station were also present during the army camp removal process.

According to the peace accord, the government is supposed to withdraw all military camps and security forces from CHT areas excepting the three cantonments in Bandarban, Khagrachhari and Rangamati district headquarters and those in Alikadam and Ruma upazilas of Bandarban and Dighinala of Khagrachhari, police and border security.

Two hundred security camps have so far been withdrawn in phases since the accord was signed between the then Awami League government and Parbatya Chattagram Jana Sanghati Samity on December 2, 1997 to bring an end to two decades of insurgency and unrest in the hill districts.

After signing the accord, members of the Jana Sanghati Samity surrendered arms to the then AL government.

However, implementation of the accord lost momentum after the BNP-Jamaat-led alliance government assumed state power in 2001. The alliance had opposed signing of the accord.

The Daily Star - Details News

I'm from Bangladesh i told that our army has an objective....but i donot know it.....please sent me anyone......

Air Force aims higher
Seeks major purchases by 2021
Shakhawat Liton
Bangladesh Air Force seeks to urgently purchase one squadron of fighter trainer aircraft and simulators for fighter planes and helicopters, and set up overhauling plants for the existing F-7 fighter planes and MI series helicopters.

It has prepared long-term plans for other major defence purchases by 2021 and beyond to modernise the force, discloses a report of the air force. It also seeks either 10 percent increase in budgetary allocation or special allocation for the next 10 years to achieve the target.

The report, which describes the problems the air force is facing and suggests ways to overcome them, was placed before the parliamentary standing committee on defence ministry on July 14 for discussion.

The Daily Star has obtained a copy of the report.

The plans include purchasing of air defence radars and surface-to-air missile systems to protect important establishments of the force, replacement of A-5, FT-5 and F-7 fighter planes and induction of aircraft for airborne early warning, a system used for directing fighters to targets and counter attacks.

The air force also seeks to turn Cox's Bazar into an advanced base to increase the force's operational capability, approval of an organogram of the Kurmitola base, increase in healthcare facility for the force members and proper steps regarding their salaries and allowances.

The air force suggested that the purchases be completed in phases by 2021.

After 2021, it wants to begin purchasing aircraft in phases to form three air defence squadrons. An air force squadron typically consists of three or four air units, with a total of 12 to 24 aircraft, depending on the type of aircraft and the air force.

In defence of the plans, the report says Bangladesh needs a five-layer strong air defence system to protect its airspace from enemy air attacks.

The mission of Bangladesh Air Force is: "To prepare, operate and maintain an air force capable of projecting air power in order to uphold and promote our national interest", as drafted in light of the responsibilities and duties assigned by the government.

"The air force is proceeding with the dream to build a digital air force keeping consistency with the honourable prime minister's vision," the report says.

It says the budgetary allocation for the air force has been decreased in the last two financial years.

The allocation was increased to 20.90 percent of the total defence budget in FY 2005-06 from 18.56 percent in 2004-05. In FY 2006-07, the air force was given 20.97 percent of the total defence budget. But the allocation was decreased to 15.57 percent in FY 2007-08 and 15.11 percent in FY 2008-09.

In the report, the air force has demanded either 25 percent of the total defence budget or a special allocation in the next 10 years.

Most of the budgetary allocation is spent for maintenance, salaries and allowances, supplies and services and instalments of previous purchases. Only 4-6 percent of it is spent for major purchases, the report says.

In defence of purchasing new equipment, the report says it is facing tremendous difficulties in playing due role with the aged aircraft.

The force has over 160 planes--fighter, transport and training aircraft--and helicopters, of which 70 percent are aged over 20 years and 18 percent inducted in the last 10 years, says the report.

It says the air force has planned to set up overhauling plants for the existing F-7 fighter planes and MI helicopters. If two plants are set up in the country, two to three F-7 aircraft and three to four MI choppers could be overhauled each year and will not require sending abroad.

The air force has so far overhauled Bell helicopters 65 times and PT-6 planes 76 times at its own maintenance unit. In the last two years, five fighter aircraft were overhauled in the country with the help of foreign consultants, the report says.

lemme guess...that websites are operated by indians...i checked some indian websites and some of them claim we have 180 tanks!! wow, thats 65 more than what you said!!

I think, your guesswork is wrong. BD has a total of 610 tanks, of which 300 will be upgraded with the technological cooperation of Pakistan. Bd is also planning to buy 200 to 250 new tanks within the next few years.

I think, your guesswork is wrong. BD has a total of 610 tanks, of which 300 will be upgraded with the technological cooperation of Pakistan. Bd is also planning to buy 200 to 250 new tanks within the next few years.
Reliable source please ! AFAIK, BA doesn't have those many tanks and after RAWAMY GOVT coming to power all co-op with PA has gone to back burner.

Dude you took it seriously??mann i was just joking...I know we possess 610 tanks and we're looking forward to buy more... We're probably going for Chinese tanks as the Ukrainian Yatagans are pretty much expensive...

When is this Al Zararar suppose to hit the ground casue I am eager to see these bad boys in BD soil.:)

When is this Al Zararar suppose to hit the ground casue I am eager to see these bad boys in BD soil.:)

You do not have to be sarcastic about those Pakistani bad boys. They will be only a few number of engineers and technicians who would be supervising the upgrading work of T-59 tanks in the BOF. Pakistan has the knowledge and experience to do the job. BD can learn from them. I heard there are 49/50 points that need upgrading.

By the way, our bad boys are building small missile boats in Khulna shipyard. The crafts will be fitted with Pakistani/Chinese armaments, and about 50% of these crafts will be sold to Pakistan.

Well bro, I'm sorry to say but as long as the AL stays in power you cant expect those in our soil... But the Chinese are also cool, we should rather be going for that and we most probably will.

BDR to beef up CHT deployment​
New outposts to be set up along borders
Our Correspondent, Bandarban

Bangladesh Rifles will enhance its presence in the Chittagong Hill Tracts region by increasing both the numbers of BDR personnel and border outposts (BOP) there.

BDR Director General Maj Gen Md Mainul Islam yesterday said new outposts would be set up in the frontier areas of CHT.

During a press briefing in Bandarban after inspecting 10 Rifles Battalion at Balipara, he said the force would be renamed as Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) by September and it would have a new uniform too.

He further said stern actions would be taken to curb extremism, terrorism and smuggling in the border areas.

The neighbouring countries have BOPs every three kilometres of their border, said Mainul, adding that BDR would start setting up BOPs every five kilometres.

Replying to a query about the recent government move to pull out army camps from the region as part of CHT Peace Accord implementation, the BDR DG strove to dispel all fears since BDR personnel would be increased in the area.

He said BDR personnel are equipped with arms and steps would be taken soon to provide them with motorcycles.

Chittagong BDR Sector Commander Col Didarul Alam and Bandarban Region Commander Brig Gen Atiqur Rahman were present during the briefing.

Later, Mainul Islam visited the BDR Training Centre at Satkania in Chittagong.

Mej Gen Mainul in Rangamati yesterday said the process of BDR trials would start very soon after the Supreme Court delivers its opinion, reports our Rangamati correspondent.

He was speaking to journalists after a meeting at Rangamati BDR sector headquarters.

Providing BDR with vehicles will be a good move.They will be able to patrol the border more efficiently.
I was wondering will BGB be equipped with better equipment or not,that would be a morale booster for the honest BDR soldiers.

And its good to hear there will be increased BDR presence in CHT.But there should always be army presence,otherwise the Shanti Bahini insurgents may try to regroup again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom