What's new

Bangladesh key player in maintaining security in Bay of Bengal: US

TopCat

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Dhaka, 26 April: US Assistant Secretary of Political-Military Affairs Andrew J. Shapiro who led the American delegation to Bangladesh-US Security Dialogue here on April 19 said Bangladesh is a key player in maintaining security in the Bay of Bengal.

“Indeed, over the past decade, the bilateral defense relationship between the United States and Government of Bangladesh has become one of the most robust in South Asia,” he said at Carnegie Endowment Roundtable in Washington on Tuesday.

Shapiro who came to Dhaka for the first time said, “I believe that our relationship (with Bangladesh) is very strong.”

He said Bangladesh is an active partner in regional counterterrorism efforts and “we’re working to enhance their ability to respond to natural disasters.”

The US State Department official said, “Our cooperation with Bangladesh is a prime example of how US security assistance can play a critically important role in our diplomatic engagement.”

Shapiro said, “My Bureau plays an integral role in this relationship through our security assistance programs, our global peacekeeping programs, and our authority over the allocation of excess defense articles.”

He said since first receiving Foreign Military Financing or FMF in 2005, Bangladesh has focused on building patrol boat fleets for the Coast Guard—a project that supports maritime security and disaster relief and strengthens the government’s presence in isolated areas.

Shapiro said Bangladesh is also working through a military modernization plan, which includes looking to partners for affordable defense systems, especially to supply its Special Operations Forces and disaster relief equipment.

“This modernisation efforts provides an opportunity for us to expand our security cooperation, especially through our Excess Defense Articles programme, which makes US equipment that is surplus to our requirements available to our partners.”

Additionally, he said the USA provides assistance to support Bangladesh’s peacekeeping efforts.
Shapiro said Bangladesh is the largest troops contributor to UN peacekeeping operations. Today Bangladesh has over 10,000 troops deployed supporting nine U.N. operations.

He said his Bureau oversees the Global Peace Operations Initiative, which has supported military peacekeeping training and assisted with improvements and refurbishment of the Bangladesh Institute of Peace Support Operations Training.

“Our security assistance to Bangladesh also demonstrates the tremendous impact these programs can have in supporting states trying to build their security capacity,” Shapiro said, adding in an interconnected world, terrorists, pirates, traffickers, and other transnational actors can exploit the weakness of states to cause mayhem and instability.

He said US assistance is helping states like Bangladesh better control their borders and their coastlines. “Our assistance is helping Bangladesh better deal with natural disasters and transnational threats.”

Shapiro said “through our training initiatives and exchanges we are helping professionalize national military forces to ensure they can better protect their public, while respecting human rights.”

“In short, our security assistance is playing a critical important role for the people of Bangladesh and for the national security of the United States,” he added. (UNB)

Bangladesh key player in maintaining security in Bay: US

F-16? USS Cutter??? What are we getting???

We have to wait till Hilary Clinton?

Most probably CG SHIP, and extra speed boat for SWAD. nothing else! By the way,whats FMF? Foreign military financing? We receiving it since 2005! Amount? Never heard of it before!

Most probably CG SHIP, and extra speed boat for SWAD. nothing else! By the way,whats FMF? Foreign military financing? receiving it since 2005! Amount? Never heard of it before!

I am expecting something big brother. US Assistant Secretary will not come only to give us some speed boat.

lets hope for the best . US can give us the world class equipment. I just wonder how China will see this romance with US when China and US is intension due to south China Sea.

lets hope for the best . US can give us the world class equipment. I just wonder how China will see this romance with US when China and US is intension due to south China Sea.

At some point you will be asked to take a side, no doubt about that.

You know what I think, US is way too big for us, even if they provide us some high tech stuff, it will be years before we adapt to these stuff. Look at the USCG Dallas ship we might receive , BN doesn't have that big ship until now.
Over all isn't it better to stick to regional players???

You know what I think, US is way too big for us, even if they provide us some high tech stuff, it will be years before we adapt to these stuff. Look at the USCG Dallas ship we might receive , BN doesn't have that big ship until now.
Over all isn't it better to stick to regional players???

Well, getting US hardware will not only benefit us in defence but also in diplomatic front. USA still have a strong leverage in world politics and economics. Its good to have USA in our side but not with the expense of China.

Looking at comments here its no wonder US and india for that matter find it so easy to these gullible chattering class. Real fact of the matter is after 2014 US going to leave Afghanistan and lots of equipments US do not want to take back from Afghanistan. At the same time US do not wish to give all these military hardware to Afghans. So US is looking for buyers who are willing to pay for some of these will be dumped equipments. That is the gist of this so called US armament. There could be some additional piece like this worthless USCG ship to sweeten the deal but none of these means anything significant for Bangladesh defense.

Well, getting US hardware will not only benefit us in defence but also in diplomatic front. USA still have a strong leverage in world politics and economics. Its good to have USA in our side but not with the expense of China.

hmm...USA have one of the best diplomatic cops in the world backed by the biggest and powerful armed forces, so theirs is a different story. Their level of leverage equals to none currently in world.

Looking at comments here its no wonder US and india for that matter find it so easy to these gullible chattering class. Real fact of the matter is after 2014 US going to leave Afghanistan and lots of equipments US do not want to take back from Afghanistan. At the same time US do not wish to give all these military hardware to Afghans. So US is looking for buyers who are willing to pay for some of these will be dumped equipments. That is the gist of this so called US armament. There could be some additional piece like this worthless USCG ship to sweeten the deal but none of these means anything significant for Bangladesh defense.
I presume Bangladesh Defense Purchase related people are much matured now. We are seeing that , now a days we purchase what is necessary for us, sometime tailor made. Not what ever we can get like before. Besides we are not familiar with western armaments as we are with Chinese or Russian stuff. And lastly not the least, their stuffs always come with a lot of strings attached with it.

Dude, last major US deal was to giving away Saddam's tank to BD and Pakistan. We are still using them in full force as far as I know.

Many people in Bangladesh do not trust USA. But, I trust that country because I know what USA has done to our country since Pakistan time. After every natural calamity USA has extended cash money, food and water to the victims. During Pakistan time, it has provided foods under Food for Work programme. It has sent cheap white clothes for our poors.

During the 1971 war it was against a separate Bangladesh only because it would have been for the benefit of India. But, after the separation it kept on providing us more aids than before. After each of the big cyclones it has come to provide us help. At one time homeland-bound warships carrying US troops from the 1st (?) Iraq war were re-routed to anchor at Chittagong port. The soldiers distributed all their bottled water to the victims. They actively participated in the humanitarian job in our hot and humid weather.

Today, USA receives more than $3.5 billion worth of BD goods in its market. Only because of USA all the western countries are giving us a priviledge by accepting our goods. Japan, south Korea, Taiwan and then China developed their industries by exporting goods to USA and european countries.

This is time that we realize the importance of USA in terms of defence, our future development and export market. Today, it is garments, but, tomorrow, it will be steel and steel products and many other manufactured goods. I would not suggest a kind of Japan-USA military partnership, but, I would suggest a kind of good relationship with the USA so that we do not have to fear our neighbours. We cannot just afford to bite a hand that is trying to feed us.

well i wanna say to my bangladeshi frnds that since now bangladesh is a fast growing economy, it should take up some responsibilities. all major countries will try to look at bangladesh as a new south asian powerhouse quickly approacing prosperity. best of luck on ur run :tup:

BD no doubt has immense economic potential and they must be applauded for their achievements :tup:

Most probably CG SHIP, and extra speed boat for SWAD. nothing else! By the way,whats FMF? Foreign military financing? We receiving it since 2005! Amount? Never heard of it before!

Most probably CG SHIP, and extra speed boat for SWAD. nothing else! By the way,whats FMF? Foreign military financing? receiving it since 2005! Amount? Never heard of it before!

Most probably the amount is less than $100000 a year ;) (I can't give any source, perhaps I've seen it in some sources online).

Many people in Bangladesh do not trust USA. But, I trust that country because I know what USA has done to our country since Pakistan time. After every natural calamity USA has extended cash money, food and water to the victims. During Pakistan time, it has provided foods under Food for Work programme. It has sent cheap white clothes for our poors.

During the 1971 war it was against a separate Bangladesh only because it would have been for the benefit of India. But, after the separation it kept on providing us more aids than before. After each of the big cyclones it has come to provide us help. At one time homeland-bound warships carrying US troops from the 1st (?) Iraq war were re-routed to anchor at Chittagong port. The soldiers distributed all their bottled water to the victims. They actively participated in the humanitarian job in our hot and humid weather.

Today, USA receives more than $3.5 billion worth of BD goods in its market. Only because of USA all the western countries are giving us a priviledge by accepting our goods. Japan, south Korea, Taiwan and then China developed their industries by exporting goods to USA and european countries.

This is time that we realize the importance of USA in terms of defence, our future development and export market. Today, it is garments, but, tomorrow, it will be steel and steel products and many other manufactured goods. I would not suggest a kind of Japan-USA military partnership, but, I would suggest a kind of good relationship with the USA so that we do not have to fear our neighbours. We cannot just afford to bite a hand that is trying to feed us.

Nice analysis, appreciable. I think we have to give a deeper insight into it. Relationship with USA is very important for us. US-Bangla relationship is based on aid program from US part for Bangladesh as you said and we all know. We've always seen it and it's never been a development partnership between these two nations. On the other hand we've seen that Sino-Bangla relationship is based on development partnership. China has already proven itself as an all weather friend of Bangladesh through numerous development projects in Bangladesh from building infrastructure to military development starting from 1976 until now. Just count how many bridges China has built in Bangladesh. Even with current Bangladeshi regime (so far I know they are annoyed on this govt. for some reason) they are still continuing their development projects here though the pace is slow.

So, we have to keep in mind that we can't deteriorate the relationship with China at any cost. We've never seen that our visiting leaders to US are receiving state level red carpet welcome by US counterpart whereas in China they are always receiving that from the very beginning of the relationship. China can do the same as US does, still Bangladeshi leaders are bound to visit there. It's a clear implication of equal friendship. So relationship with China is more important both economically and strategically.

My somewhat tone is not anyhow against US relationship because I believe USA always wants to see a prosperous Bangladesh. But I can assert that recent US-india relationship has something about US interest on Bangladesh military. Bangladesh has a military pact with China so their aim might be to get Bangladesh in a similar pact which Bangladesh can't afford later I believe.

Back
Top Bottom