What's new

Bangladesh:Gunfight at BDR headquarters

This is one of the most shameful incident in Bangladesh Army History.I am glad we have complete unity in Pakistan Army and things like this does not happen there!

During the BNP rule between 1991 and 1996, the BDR lower tier staged mutinies in Dhaka, Chittagong, Feni, Jessore, Khulna and Naogaon expressing similar grievances.

Those mutinies did not witness bloodshed and the personnel were assured of measures to address their issues, which were ultimately shelved.

The Daily Star - Details News

------------------------------------------------------------------

See where the fault lies?If that time their plea was heard then today this incidence would not have happened.
Yet their actions are not justified.

Don't recall having seen any BDR incident during that period. I recall there was Ansar mutiny. Could you find something to substantiate Daily Star claim?

Besides, 1991 and 2009 are almost 20 years apart. BDR pay has been increased few times by successive govt. So, unsubstantiated claim by Daily Star that 1991 pay and unrest has very little to do with 2009 pay, 20 years later. But benefit alone is not the issue here. Main issue (at least on news media) is some army officers under Moeen U ran wholesale corruption in the country including BDR DG.

BDR ran low cost kitchen market to help people from price hike. But profit from it was plunderd by top ranking army officers including BDR DG Shakil Ahmed.

Last edited:
Whatever be the reason / background, mutiny by a organised / uniformed force speaks of any or all of the following :

1. Poor quality of officer cadre who were not interactive enough with the troops to have prevented / foreseen a situation like this.

2. Accumulated grievances that go unaddressed for prolonged periods.

3 Lack of self esteem within the orgnisation.

4. Lack of faith of the rank & file in their superiors & their ability of the superiors to rectify perceived anomalies.

5. Absence of channels for redressal of grievances.

There may be many more reasons, however a soldier rarely raises his weapon against his superiors unless things reach a breaking point. Instigators / ring leaders help to aggravate such situations.

The wound may heal but the scars will remain for long.

I was listening to former BD army chief and other expert, as they are saying that, you cant treat the soldier the way its been practiced since long. Even the soldiers, are more aware of their rights, they are more educated and has their say in the affairs. Army needs to look at the command structure of the western countries, where Officers dont mend with soldiers and soldiers are run by other soldiers, and only the commands are passed to them.
I had rare occasions and had some friends with US army and I know, soldiers dont really care about the officers and they can even become a officer if they could complete four years degree while they are in army.

Sahara gets guns down, hostages out

Dhaka, Feb 26 (bdnews24.com)— A long day's drama was ending early Thursday morning as BDR mutineers began giving up their guns and hostages after a bold move by Bangladesh's first woman home minister to drive straight into the rebels' den.

"I have assured them no army units will enter (the BDR headquarters)," Sahara Khatun told reporters including bdnews24.com senior correspondents Sumon Mahbub and Liton Haider at 4:20am after she came out of the compound.

The minister did not say anything about the rumours and reports on the casualty figures. Her companion, state minister for law Quamrul Islam, refused to speculate on the number of the dead.

"I have neither seen any dead nor any injured," the state minister told Sumon Mahbub at 4:50am when asked about the dead.

The home minister freed at least 15 families out of captivity, who were herded into four vehicles including the one carrying her.

Sahara Khatun watched as the BDR mutineers began handing in their guns. The minister with no security also led officers' families out of their homes in the residential blocks in the sprawling complex in downtown Dhaka.

"I told them I am like your mother. You can trust me," the minister quoted herself as saying to hundreds of rebels she met in a field outside the Darbar Hall where she heard their grievances.

"I was taken to the armoury. They began laying down their arms before me," she said. "They were continuing as I left."

"I told them: 'I am your minister. I promise you ... you listen to me so that I can go and tell the prime minister that these boys have obliged you.'

"They were insisting on not allowing the army to get inside. They were saying the army must not come. I told them, I assure you they won't."

The minister, accompanied by the state minister for law and police chief Noor Mohammad, had gone inside, driven in a privately-owned bullet-proof SUV of the prime minister, Sheikh Hasina. A fourth person, described by correspondents as an aide to Sahara Khatun, was also in the vehicle.

On her return, two families were in the minister's car. A family of four—an elderly couple, an adult man and a child—were bundled into the back of the SUV while a woman and a 6-year-old boy with his back-pack school bag were seated next to the minister.

Two sedan cars and a big bus carried the other families.

"My father is still inside the Darbar Hall. Please save my father," said Syed Imamuzzaman, teenage son of Lt Col Syed Quamruzzaman, believed trapped inside.

The boy was in one of the two cars. A woman in another pleaded to "do something about the many other hostages".

"Get them out ... accept all their demands," she said.

At least two men approached the home minister to find out about their brothers—both army officers among the Darbar Hall victims.

News trickles out

The news of surrender began trickling out more than two hours after the home minister led an unarmed team of four into a battle-scarred territory occupied by the heavily-armed BDR rebels.

A top police official told bdnews24.com at around 2:30am that a section of the rebels had started surrendering their weapons. The official spoke on condition of anonymity.

A member of the BTV crew called in by the BDR men said at 3:15am that he had seen guns being put down.

"They surrendered their weapons in presence of the home minister," said Rafiqul Islam, a BTV cameraman, speaking to bdnews24.com correspondent Golam Mortuza by phone.

"Sahara Khatun then went to the homes of BDR officers and got their families out," the BTV man said after coming out the compound that had plunged into complete chaos since the 9:30 Darbar called by the BDR chief, now believed killed by his own troops.

There was no confirmation whether major general Shakil Ahmed was alive after reports all day of his death.

bdnews24.com correspondent Sumon Mahbub, standing outside the main entrance to the headquarters, saw a "requisitioned" police bus enter the compound at 3:26am.

The bus was greeted with gunfire—first with one single shot and then a burst of fire—ostensibly because it was being followed by three RAB vehicles.

The shots diverted the three RAB microbuses with tinted windows, which were about to enter the compound, towards Rifles Square, the BDR-owned shopping centre right next to the main entrance.

Mahbub said he believed the bus would be used to ferry the hostages out.

Army steps back

Army troops had earlier pulled back from their positions around the BDR headquarters as the home minister, Sahara Khatun, drove into the besieged compound half an hour past midnight.

Withdrawal of army units emerged as the key demand from the rebels after the prime minister, Sheikh Hasina, announced general amnesty during a two-hour meeting with a team of 14 BDR men.

The 14, flanked by government negotiators state minister Jahangir Kabir Nanak MP and whip Mirza Azam MP, were driven straight to the prime minister's official residence at Hare Road from the blood-stained BDR compound.

They arrived at 3.40pm and spent more than two hours with the prime minister. They were also joined, among others, by army chief Gen Moeen U Ahmed.

The prime minister also told the 14 that she would meet their demands—no army in BDR command and better pay—in phases.

On return to their headquarters, the 14, however, failed to get the message across to their fellow mutineers, who insisted on sending the army convoys back to their barracks.

The home minister, at this stage, led a government team in nearly three hours of talks with the paramilitary mutineers at a hotel nearby.

What transpired in the Ambala Inn talks could not be known, but the minister drove into the hive of the armed rebels, believed to be in their hundreds, for further negotiations.

As the minister entered the BDR premises, the army convoys pulled back by hundreds of metres, bdnews24.com correspondents on the spot said.

Two ambulances were seen waiting near the main entrance when the SUV carrying the ministers went in.

bdnews24.com/lh/gma/rah/bd/0512h.

No matter how you look at the situation but it not going to bring any good for BD. This is a wake up call to reform our military command structure. BD generals are too busy making money by serving in UN missions and in the mean while our BDR brothers living inhumane condition. What we have to remember that BDR are at front line to secure our country from intruder yet they are not getting their fare share. They deserve better livelihood. Hasin's Government need to pay attention to BDR need before it get worst.....

Hasina is trying to run the whole country only by herself. This is shame to see how with so much enmity, she could run this country. All the decision and actings are coming from 4 women of BD, Hasina, Motia, shahara, sajeda. What is going on in here??? Is Shahara the right person to negotiate and contain this grave situation??? 50 officers already dead.
COAS just came for few moment and left. No senior leadership from civilian nor from army is present in the scene. Everybody is seeing the circus from a distance.
the country can not be run this way. This government is destined to fail.... count my word.

Main issue (at least on news media) is some army officers under Moeen U ran wholesale corruption in the country including BDR DG.

BDR ran low cost kitchen market to help people from price hike. But profit from it was plunderd by top ranking army officers including BDR DG Shakil Ahmed.

I think this is probably closer to the truth and why the feeling of anger was so intense. The amount of corruption carried on by some army officers during the caretaker government was stupendous. I know from having to confront a few of them over this.

Mutinous border guards surrender in Bangladesh

40 minutes ago

DHAKA, Bangladesh (AP) — Bangladesh's Home Minister Shahara Khatun says Bangladeshi border guards have begun surrendering following a 20-hour mutiny to demand better pay.

The surrender began before dawn Thursday in the presence of Khatun and senior police officials at the Dhaka headquarters of Bangladesh Rifles — the official name of the paramilitary border guards. TV reports showed guards filing out of buildings in the compound and laying down arms, one by one.

The guards stormed the headquarters and opened fire on superior officers Wednesday, but agreed to surrender after the government said it would grant them amnesty and discuss their demands.

At least one bystander was killed, and 15 people were injured in the violence.

The Associated Press: Mutinous border guards surrender in Bangladesh

Mutiny spreads to Khulna, Rajshahi

UNB, Khulna

Solders took control of Goalkhali BDR camp here after the revolt by their colleagues at the Bangladesh Rifles headquarters in Dhaka, triggering tensions through the southern city.

Sources inside the camp told UNB that BDR jawans shut down the main gate of the outpost at about 11am as the news of the mutiny in their headquarters traveled in fast.

They said eight army officials in command of the camp went away hurriedly as the sepoys started moving around the camp.

Another report from Rajshahi adds: BDR troops of the sector headquarters here were on high alert yesterday after the mutiny by their fellowmen at the Bangladesh Rifles Headquarters in Dhaka.

Sources said no army commanding officer of the headquarters attend office today as they stayed indoors. The BDR soldiers were not allowing army officers to get into their residences, according to the sources.

A commanding officer was turned back when he tried to leave the headquarters at about 1pm, the sources added.

Earlier at about 11am, the BDR soldiers drove out the civilians working at the headquarters.

Besides, a good number of BDR men from Chapainawabganj camp came to the headquarters at 12 noon and took control of it, but they laid down arms a few minutes later.

A tense situation was prevailing at the headquarters.

The New Nation - Internet Edition

Sahara gets guns down, hostages out

Dhaka, Feb 26 (bdnews24.com)— A long day's drama was ending early Thursday morning as BDR mutineers began giving up their guns and hostages after a bold move by Bangladesh's first woman home minister to drive straight into the rebels' den.

"I have assured them no army units will enter (the BDR headquarters)," Sahara Khatun told reporters including bdnews24.com senior correspondents Sumon Mahbub and Liton Haider at 4:20am after she came out of the compound.

The minister did not say anything about the rumours and reports on the casualty figures. Her companion, state minister for law Quamrul Islam, refused to speculate on the number of the dead.

"I have neither seen any dead nor any injured," the state minister told Sumon Mahbub at 4:50am when asked about the dead.

The home minister freed at least 15 families out of captivity, who were herded into four vehicles including the one carrying her.

Sahara Khatun watched as the BDR mutineers began handing in their guns. The minister with no security also led officers' families out of their homes in the residential blocks in the sprawling complex in downtown Dhaka.

"I told them I am like your mother. You can trust me," the minister quoted herself as saying to hundreds of rebels she met in a field outside the Darbar Hall where she heard their grievances.

"I was taken to the armoury. They began laying down their arms before me," she said. "They were continuing as I left."

"I told them: 'I am your minister. I promise you ... you listen to me so that I can go and tell the prime minister that these boys have obliged you.'

"They were insisting on not allowing the army to get inside. They were saying the army must not come. I told them, I assure you they won't."

The minister, accompanied by the state minister for law and police chief Noor Mohammad, had gone inside, driven in a privately-owned bullet-proof SUV of the prime minister, Sheikh Hasina. A fourth person, described by correspondents as an aide to Sahara Khatun, was also in the vehicle.

On her return, two families were in the minister's car. A family of four—an elderly couple, an adult man and a child—were bundled into the back of the SUV while a woman and a 6-year-old boy with his back-pack school bag were seated next to the minister.

Two sedan cars and a big bus carried the other families.

"My father is still inside the Darbar Hall. Please save my father," said Syed Imamuzzaman, teenage son of Lt Col Syed Quamruzzaman, believed trapped inside.

The boy was in one of the two cars. A woman in another pleaded to "do something about the many other hostages".

"Get them out ... accept all their demands," she said.

At least two men approached the home minister to find out about their brothers—both army officers among the Darbar Hall victims.

News trickles out

The news of surrender began trickling out more than two hours after the home minister led an unarmed team of four into a battle-scarred territory occupied by the heavily-armed BDR rebels.

A top police official told bdnews24.com at around 2:30am that a section of the rebels had started surrendering their weapons. The official spoke on condition of anonymity.

A member of the BTV crew called in by the BDR men said at 3:15am that he had seen guns being put down.

"They surrendered their weapons in presence of the home minister," said Rafiqul Islam, a BTV cameraman, speaking to bdnews24.com correspondent Golam Mortuza by phone.

"Sahara Khatun then went to the homes of BDR officers and got their families out," the BTV man said after coming out the compound that had plunged into complete chaos since the 9:30 Darbar called by the BDR chief, now believed killed by his own troops.

There was no confirmation whether major general Shakil Ahmed was alive after reports all day of his death.

bdnews24.com correspondent Sumon Mahbub, standing outside the main entrance to the headquarters, saw a "requisitioned" police bus enter the compound at 3:26am.

The bus was greeted with gunfire—first with one single shot and then a burst of fire—ostensibly because it was being followed by three RAB vehicles.

The shots diverted the three RAB microbuses with tinted windows, which were about to enter the compound, towards Rifles Square, the BDR-owned shopping centre right next to the main entrance.

Mahbub said he believed the bus would be used to ferry the hostages out.

Army steps back

Army troops had earlier pulled back from their positions around the BDR headquarters as the home minister, Sahara Khatun, drove into the besieged compound half an hour past midnight.

Withdrawal of army units emerged as the key demand from the rebels after the prime minister, Sheikh Hasina, announced general amnesty during a two-hour meeting with a team of 14 BDR men.

The 14, flanked by government negotiators state minister Jahangir Kabir Nanak MP and whip Mirza Azam MP, were driven straight to the prime minister's official residence at Hare Road from the blood-stained BDR compound.

They arrived at 3.40pm and spent more than two hours with the prime minister. They were also joined, among others, by army chief Gen Moeen U Ahmed.

The prime minister also told the 14 that she would meet their demands—no army in BDR command and better pay—in phases.

On return to their headquarters, the 14, however, failed to get the message across to their fellow mutineers, who insisted on sending the army convoys back to their barracks.

The home minister, at this stage, led a government team in nearly three hours of talks with the paramilitary mutineers at a hotel nearby.

What transpired in the Ambala Inn talks could not be known, but the minister drove into the hive of the armed rebels, believed to be in their hundreds, for further negotiations.

As the minister entered the BDR premises, the army convoys pulled back by hundreds of metres, bdnews24.com correspondents on the spot said.

Two ambulances were seen waiting near the main entrance when the SUV carrying the ministers went in.

Sahara gets guns down, hostages out :: Bangladesh :: bdnews24.com ::

BDR man vents anger on air

Dhaka, Feb 25 (bdnews24.com) - A BDR man phoned private TV station BanglaVision from inside the besieged headquarters early afternoon to ventilate his grievances.

He said that the needs and aspirations of the paramilitary border guards had always been neglected by their commanding officers from the army and were never conveyed to the highest authorities.

The disgruntled BDR men now expressed their grievances and exploded protesting after the new democratic government had taken over, he said.

They have realised that their fate was not going to change, the BDR rebel added.

He trashed any allegation of killing or misbehaving with any of their army commanders.

He thought things might be easier if the prime minister went to talk to them and the troops called back.

:: bdnews24.com ::

Hmm.. Such mutinies are signs of a weak system, country. They should have been negotiated or crushed with no option of pardon for revolting against the system. The negotiations should never compromise the integrity of the country, But should be fair to the demands of the revolting soliders. This blind amnesty for all the revolting soliders will instill confidence in any other arm of military/civil/political society to gather a few people take up arms and grab the country by its throat.. very unfortunate incident the mutiny as well as the amnesty..!!!!!

Mutiny spreading across Bangladesh:BBC,Al-Zazira

There are reports of gun fires across the country in different BDR barracks.

thats sad to hear i'm sure the BD forces will be able to take care of it.Hope it can be solved peacefully but why are they revolting just coz of pay ? so it'll be soldier vs soldiers ? coz when i read the title i thought it would be terrorists but i was shocked to see it's army personnel so whats their gripe that people who'd served their country would suddenly turn on it ?
tough situation but i'm sure BD will be alright.

Back
Top Bottom