What's new

Bangladesh donates medical supply to Sri Lanka

When did I say Sri Lanks will permanently remain bankrupt, where are you reading selectively? Even if it recovers what exact benefit do we get buy going through the inconvenience of giving loan to them while not knowing if and when it will be returned. And Sri Lanka is not exactly Japan or Germany where we can send a lot of exports, it's still a third world country, it can only be our competitor.
It is a country of 20 million educated people which is likely to develop fast under better leadership. A 20 million population is not a small market and is right next door. We need to capture their market. Think long term.

Thinks long term.

1. Export market: Do you think Sri Lanka will remain bankrupt forever? Sri Lanka is still a wealthier and more educated a nation than BD and is likely to become a developed country before Bangladesh. We need access to their markets. Helping them now can help us obtain trade concessions later.

2. Eat a humble pie: Bangladesh's forex reserve build up is highly vulnerable to external shocks as we are highly dependent on export of one single product category (clothing) and overwhelmingly low skilled labour for our forex earnings. Our import bills are likely to cross $70 billion this FY. If import bills keep up this trajectory, we will be bleeding forex soon and may end up in a position worse than Sri Lanka's regardless of what silly claims some delusional clowns post on this forum. Do not also forgot how much we used to beg to other countries until the 90's. For example, other countries especially the US literally airlifted the entire BD economy out of the hole we got ourselves into during the 1991 cyclone.

3. Improve global image: Bangladesh is still seen as a global basket case by regular people in other countries who do not follow the news. You know it from living in Australia.
However, BD bailing out Sri Lanka has made news globally including in the West. People in economic and establishment circles around the world have taken notice.

4. Geopolitics/Security: Look at Sri Lanka's geographical location. If Bangladesh wants to ever deal with India on equal terms, we have to build up our military capabilities enough to overpower the Indian military in the event of aggression by India. If we can create a strong bond with Sri Lanka, they just might allow our military to set up observation posts, replenish ships at their ports and use their air strips. Perhaps even allow an air base.
Seriously dumbo, India assisted with over $3 billion since Srilanka went bankrupt. You think, you can take on India from Sri Lanka. LUNGIS are all this delusional?

It is a country of 20 million educated people which is likely to develop fast under better leadership. A 20 million population is not a small market and is right next door. We need to capture their market. Think long term.

I don't think the BAL people had that in their mind when the gave they money, even if they did you have no way of knowing. So we are just making up hypothetical nonsense.

Last edited:
Seriously dumbo, India assisted with over $3 billion since Srilanka went bankrupt. You can take on India from Sri Lanka. LUNGIS are all this delusional?
Hey retard, India will find many ways to piss off Sri Lankans like they always do. Granted, BD using SL for militarily is far fetched as most likely Sri Lanka would not want to go up against India but there is no harm in trying.

The idiots who drew the 1947 borders handed Andaman-Nicober to India becuase they were blinded by religion. We lost a major strategic advantage as a result. Buiding an alliance with SL can be an attempt to re-coup the lost leverage by maybe 10%. Again, no harm in trying.

I don't think the BAL people had that in their mind when the gave the money, even if they did you have no way of knowing. So we are just making up hypothetical nonsense.
Nonsense maybe to you, not me. BAL does not own BD. They will be gone but BD will remain.
However, credit to them for thinking pragmatically when handing out the credit to SL.
It does not matter what BAL's justification was - they most likely did not want to turn down Sri Lanka's request for assistance.

Last edited:
Hey retard, India will find many ways to piss off Sri Lankans like they always do. Granted, BD using SL for militarily is far fetched as most likely Sri Lanka would not want to go up against India but there is no harm in trying.

The idiots who drew the 1947 borders handed Andaman-Nicober to India becuase they were blinded by religion. We lost a major strategic advantage as a result. Buiding an alliance with SL can be an attempt to re-coup the lost leverage by maybe 10%. Again, no harm in trying.

Nonsense maybe to you, not me. BAL does not own BD. They will be gone but BD will remain.
However, credit to them for thinking pragmatically when handing out the credit to SL.
It does not matter what BAL's justification was - they most likely did not want to turn down Sri Lanka's request for assistance.
Abey dumbo.. Our military budget (5 trillion INR) is about your whole budget. STFU with your overestimating of your Shithole. JUST the Increase in tax revenue this year of GOI (7 trillion INR) is twice your country's total tax collection. I am not even counting those of the states, some of which make more than your country. Lol. AUQAT anyone?

Trying to go against India? I mean do you think your leadership is so delusional and stupid like you? They would crawl and kneel before thinking of doing any such thing.

Andaman and Nicobar? I MEAN we gifted you your entire country in 1971. Where do they create such delusional lungis?

Last edited:
Abey dumbo.. Our military budget is about your whole budget and twice your tax collection. STFU with your overestimating of your Shithole.

Trying to go against India? I mean do you think your leadership is so delusional and stupid like you? They would crawl and kneel before thinking of doing any such thing.

Andaman and Nicobar? I MEAN we gifted you your entire country in 1971. Where do they create such delusional lungis?
Hello again retard, learn to read and comprehend.
Did I say Bangladesh will initiate hostilities? Once India attacks BD, all bets are off. Anything is on the table, get it through your head.

As for "gifting country", :lol: .
Keep telling yourself that. PA had retreated to Dhaka before Indian forces intervened to take credit. Be eternally grateful to us for not having to face Pakistan from both sides.

Last edited:
Hello again retard, did I say Bangladesh hostilities? One India attacks BD, all bets are off. Anything is on the table, get it through your head.

As for "gifting country", :lol: .
Keep telling yourself that. PA had retreated to Dhaka before Indian forces intervened to take credit. Be eternally grateful to us for not having to face Pakistan from both sides.
Lol. Tell that to your present leadership, they tend to believe India is their baap.

If India attacks BD, what will be left of BD for there to be any bets, dumbo.

If BD was ever to be another Pakistan, it wouldn't have progressed and would have been another present day Pakistan or worse, get that through your shit little head.

Lol. Tell that to your present leadership, they tend to believe India is their baap.
They don't, but granted they are overly friendly to India. It should be a give and take relationship.

If India attacks BD, what will be left of BD for there to be any bets, dumbo.
Why do you think the whole convo around building military capabilities started, fool?

If BD was ever to be another Pakistan, it wouldn't have progressed and would have been another present day Pakistan or worse, get that through your shit little head.

Why do you think we seperated, dickhead?

Your attitude is reflective of why India is not trusted. Bangladeshis are not crazy to hate a country that sided with us in 1971 for no reason.

And what exact geopolitical maneuvers are we trying? We are a country that doesn't even have a speak able air force or a negligible military. What geopolitical ambitions do we have?

As per @Destranator we are giving them money for a future competent leader to set our geopolitical goals and use the favorable relationship because of the loan we gave them. This kind of argument is a non-starter. No country gives any other country any favor because the said country once upon a time helped them with some million dollars of loan. Also an incompetent government can't give loan in the hope of a future competent leader exploiting the relationship, if that was what the incompetent government was doing then it would not be an incompetent government to start with. The truth is BAL morons did a blunder by giving money to a country on the verge of bankruptcy and now they have gone bankrupt and we don't know if and when we will get our money back. There is no point trying to sweeten the blunder by cooking up some imaginary advantage we will get, Sri Lanka is a minnow and it is not that important a country to start with. What is there have from them?
I think both you and @Destranator are correct in your points. You two are just viewing the implications with differing time lengths.

I share your view that giving them a loan was probably a mistake. However there are talks of greater/priority access to lankan ports, lets see how that pans out.

Also giving loans at this time will buy goodwill, it wont last very long but the positive news it has generated for BD has changed global perception of our country.

This can be built on. Can we rally lanka, maldives along with nepal and bhutan with whom we are increasing economic links perhaps not to our cause but encourage to get onto a common platform perhaps we can reenergise the region long held back due to india pakistan issues.

Such a vision we must have but we will need greater economic strength to bring to fruition. It will be a win win for all including india and pakistan. As we graduate to be a developing nation BD economy will surpass half a trillion mark at current projection by 2025 and over 0.75 trillion dollar by 2030. That is squarely middle power territory.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thefinancialexpress.com.bd/economy/bangladesh/bangladesh-economy-to-become-28th-largest-in-2030-1609126443?amp=true

The combined GDP of BD, lanka, nepal and bhutan at this stage in 2030 would be over a trillion whilst indias is projected to be around 5 trillion. It is not a case of creating an adversarial platform against india but a complementary one that feeds off each other.

I agree with you BD must have competent leadership with vision to make these happen.

Last edited:
Such a vision we must have but we will need greater economic strength to bring to fruition. It will be a win win for all including india and pakistan. As we graduate to be a developing nation BD economy will surpass half a trillion mark at current projection by 2025 and over 0.75 trillion dollar by 2030. That is squarely middle power territory.

If BD can hit 8% sustained growth by 2023-2024 till 2030 then it can hit 1 trillion US dollars.

As long as BD is not giving anything away for free and not harming it's own fiscal position then it only stands to gain from lending money to countries like Sri Lanka. There is no harms.

If the influence comes then so be it, if not then it gets the money back plus a nice little interest on top.

If BD can hit 8% sustained growth by 2023-2024 till 2030 then it can hit 1 trillion US dollars.

As long as BD is not giving anything away for free and not harming it's own fiscal position then it only stands to gain from lending money to countries like Sri Lanka. There is no harms.

If the influence comes then so be it, if not then it gets the money back plus a nice little interest on top.

At current projection BD will have a 1.2 trillion economy by 2035. Lets see how things develop. If we can develop an export lead manufacturing economy beyond RMG and alongside continue to push up agricultural yeilds and up our game in terms of general education of the populace to take full advantage of the demographic dividend absolutely anything is possible.

I like to be positive and have confidence in our peoples entrepreneurial drive. i have full faith that our economic takeoff is now on full throttle...... covid could not damage it and barring completely unforeseen calamity I think we are going to hit the target

At current projection BD will have a 1.2 trillion economy by 2035. Lets see how things develop. If we can develop an export lead manufacturing economy beyond RMG and alongside continue to push up agricultural yeilds and up our game in terms of general education of the populace to take full advantage of the demographic dividend absolutely anything is possible.

I like to be positive and have confidence in our peoples entrepreneurial drive. i have full faith that our economic takeoff is now on full throttle...... covid could not damage it and barring completely unforeseen calamity I think we are going to hit the target

Watch out for Walton as it is likely to surpass 100 million dollars in export revenue by the end of this fiscal(June 2021-June 2022) from just 14 million US dollars last year.

I think they are on the verge of changing everyone's perception of BD this decade.

Nothing guaranteed but I am more optimistic than pessimistic on this.

Sri Lanka will rebound and become an important player in a few year's time.
404 , South Asia , not found

ppl would rather use fault lines to gather some cheap votes and in the process , tearing the fabric of society.

BD needs to send a delegation of Pharma representatives to Lanka. They will come out of the current crisis as tourists return. We need to be in a position to exploit the situation then.
Agreed.
nation state should not be guided by morality , only self-preservation and interests.

Looks like BD rescheduled payments

Sri Lanka gets another year to repay $200m to Bangladesh amid economic crisis​

Staff Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 09 May 2022 01:59 AM BdST Updated: 09 May 2022 01:59 AM BdST

• bangladesh-bank-020621-002.jpg

Bangladesh has extended the term of the $200 million loan given to Sri Lanka under a currency swap deal by one more year as the island nation faces severe economic crisis.​

Bangladesh Bank directors took the decision in a meeting on Sunday, keeping the conditions for the loan unchanged, said the central bank’s spokesman Serajul Islam.
Bangladesh agreed the deal in May 2021 – its first loan to another country. Sri Lanka was supposed to repay within three months, but the term was extended several times at Sri Lanka’s request as the country’s economic crisis began to deepen.
Hit hard by the pandemic, rising oil prices and populist tax cuts by the government, the South Asian island's economy is in crisis now, with usable foreign reserves down to $50 million.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it seems we are going with the ''Chalo theekh hai'' approach, @Destranator hopefully they can offer something good in return.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom