What's new

Bangladesh Denies Entry To Russian Vessel Loaded With Components For The Nation’s First Nuclear Power Plant

This was a trap and BD successfully evaded it.

Forget BD and USA, the sanctions on Russia are backed by most of the world's most powerful countries.

The rules for dealing with Russian companies were made clear early on, whether you agree with it or not. Why would BD willingly antagonise the world for something that Russia agreed to remedy anyway?

Send your long essay to a dustbin as no one has time to read through the five-page writing nor anyone will understand why do you always deflect from the topic of a thread.

1. Don't exaggerate. My post is not five pages long.

2. Where was my deflection ?

3. Here are some other long essays that you may consign to the dust bin if you want to deny their legitimacy as you deny for my posts :

3. Here are some other long essays that you may consign to the dust bin if you want to deny their legitimacy as you deny for my posts :
You should read all those books and follow the rules. No deviation from the topic and no long posts to bore people.

Do you think it is an English language class?

The guy has never written a post worth toilet paper in his life.

He has zero understanding of any subject - he's the last one to judge other people's posts.

You should read all those books and follow the rules.

What does that mean ?

No deviation from the topic and no long posts to bore people.

If you cannot be bothered to read not even half a webpage then you are not on the forum to read, understand, ideate, discuss and collaborate. You are here to troll and do mutual back scratching with trolls and crooks.

Do you think it is an English language class?

I always write in simple words. I am a designer of things, whether of computing systems or political ideas so it is important for me to understand existent things from a simple perspective to add to the ideas developing in my brain which also develop as simple thoughts - why this, why this cannot be etc.

Rooppur consignment on sanctioned Russian ship may come by road from India

BANGLADESH

UNB
06 January, 2023, 09:35 am
Last modified: 06 January, 2023, 09:40 am

Photo: UNB

The consignment meant for the Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant (NPP) that had to be turned away from Bangladesh shores due to being carried by a US-sanctioned vessel, may ultimately be sent to their destination by road.

This is based on indications that the Russian ship, instead of going all the way back with the vital equipment it was carrying, has hovered in the Bay of Bengal since the incident in late December. Now the BBC is reporting that it may be looking to unload its consignment at the Haldia port in West Bengal.

India has been openly defying US sanctions on Russian ships since the start of the war in Ukraine. All Indian ports are thus open to Russia-flagged vessels, even those with sanctions on them.

The Russian-flagged ship arrived at the Mongla port channel at the end of December with goods destined for the Rooppur plant, Mongla Port Authority Secretary Kalachand Singh said.

"We have learned that the cargo from the vessel can be unloaded at the Haldia port in India's West Bengal. From there, another vessel could carry the consignment for the Rooppur power plant and deliver it to a port of Bangladesh," he added.

Sadhan Kumar, operations officer of Khulna Conveyor Shipping Lines, said, "Earlier shipments for Rooppur NPP were delivered by Russian and neutral, foreign-flagged vessels at the Mongla port. After the unloading of the cargoes at the port, they would be taken to Rooppur."

The sanctioned Russian ship Sparta III was scheduled to dock at the port in the southwestern part of the country and unload cargo destined for the Rooppur NPP in Pabna.

But the authorities denied the ship permission to dock at the port after officials got a letter from the US Embassy in Dhaka saying that the ship was on a list of Russian ships sanctio ned by the US.

Rooppur consignment on sanctioned Russian ship may come by road from India

BANGLADESH

UNB
06 January, 2023, 09:35 am
Last modified: 06 January, 2023, 09:40 am

The consignment meant for the Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant (NPP) that had to be turned away from Bangladesh shores due to being carried by a US-sanctioned vessel, may ultimately be sent to their destination by road.

This is based on indications that the Russian ship, instead of going all the way back with the vital equipment it was carrying, has hovered in the Bay of Bengal since the incident in late December. Now the BBC is reporting that it may be looking to unload its consignment at the Haldia port in West Bengal.

India has been openly defying US sanctions on Russian ships since the start of the war in Ukraine. All Indian ports are thus open to Russia-flagged vessels, even those with sanctions on them.

The Russian-flagged ship arrived at the Mongla port channel at the end of December with goods destined for the Rooppur plant, Mongla Port Authority Secretary Kalachand Singh said.

"We have learned that the cargo from the vessel can be unloaded at the Haldia port in India's West Bengal. From there, another vessel could carry the consignment for the Rooppur power plant and deliver it to a port of Bangladesh," he added.

Sadhan Kumar, operations officer of Khulna Conveyor Shipping Lines, said, "Earlier shipments for Rooppur NPP were delivered by Russian and neutral, foreign-flagged vessels at the Mongla port. After the unloading of the cargoes at the port, they would be taken to Rooppur."

The sanctioned Russian ship Sparta III was scheduled to dock at the port in the southwestern part of the country and unload cargo destined for the Rooppur NPP in Pabna.

But the authorities denied the ship permission to dock at the port after officials got a letter from the US Embassy in Dhaka saying that the ship was on a list of Russian ships sanctio ned by the US.

So Indians are the party to benefit out of all this drama. Thanks Uncle Sam for jacking up the project cost! I hope Russians are covering this extra cost and not Bangladesh.

Last edited:
No, what BD actually proved is that they are indeed in a camp - the American one, even if unwillingly.

I am not going to blame Hasina here. Unlike India or China, BD doesn't have the choice to disobey a US order. But overall, this is a bad sign. Rooppur will continue to force Dhaka to engage Russia for supplies and the sanctions will remain an issue. Today it's a supply ship, tomorrow it could be Russian tech/engagement in general.

Well, I do agree with you. It is increasingly difficult to play the balancing game. BD will end up conceding more for one camp, that happens to be the US camp. Since majority of our export market is in the West, BD's choices are limited in this matter. Still kudos to them for trying.

BD abstained from voting at UNGA against Russia which did not sit well with Uncle.

Then BD did not choose to buy cheap Russian oil after being offered, even though high fuel prices drained the Forex reserve and did not let this ship dock. There will be something else again, since we are dependent on Russian tech for this project.

The way our FM and his Deputy talked, I thought BD would impose export sanctions on America. No garments to America, let American women shiver in cold.

I thought BD has become a new tiger that can dictate its terms, but the reality is BD remains a mouse without an industrial base.

But, its ministers make some noises to keep their party people under control. However, BD should be able to do what India did by unloading the BD goods. This event proved how vulnerable BD is.

Last edited:

Russian shipment for Bangladesh nuclear plant docks at Haldia port​

contract-for-haldia-inland-waterway-terminal-awarded-jetty-to-be-operational-soon.jpg

Reuters
Representative image

Synopsis​

The Russian-flagged ship arrived at Bangladesh's Mongla port at the end of December 2022 with goods destined for the Rooppur NPP, Mongla Port Authority Secretary Kalachand Singh told media in Dhaka. "We have learned that the cargo from the vessel ...​

By Dipanjan Roy Chaudhury, ET Bureau
Last Updated: Jan 09, 2023, 12:08 AM IST
India has come to Bangladesh's rescue by allowing shipment from Russia for Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant (NPP) to dock at Haldia port amid the Sheikh Hasina government's apprehensions regarding receiving a sanctioned Russian ship following American restrictions.

The consignment, which had to be turned away from Bangladesh, may be sent to its destination by road from India, said officials. India is assisting Bangladesh in constructing the NPP under the India-Russia partnership for projects in third countries.

The Russian ship, instead of returning, hovered in the Bay of Bengal since late December.

All Indian ports are open to Russia-flagged vessels and India has been accepting consignments from Russia over the past year, with bilateral trade surging 300%.

The Russian-flagged ship arrived at Bangladesh's Mongla port at the end of December 2022 with goods destined for the Rooppur NPP, Mongla Port AuthoritySecretary Kalachand Singh told media in Dhaka. "We have learned that the cargo from the vessel can be unloaded at the Haldia port in India's West Bengal. From there, another vessel could carry the consignment for the Rooppur power plant," said Singh.

Sadhan Kumar, operations officer of Khulna Conveyor Shipping Lines, told Bangladeshi media, "In the past shipments for Rooppur NPP were delivered by Russian and neutral, foreign-flagged, vessels at the Mongla port. After the unloading of the cargoes at the port, they would be taken to Rooppur."

Published on 12:55 PM, January 19, 2023

Russian ship returning without offloading Rooppur equipment​

capture.jpg

Photo: Collected
Star Digital Report

The progress of the country's first nuclear power plant suffered a setback as the Russian ship carrying equipment for Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant is now heading back to Russia instead of offloading at West Bengal's Haldia Port, as it was supposed to do.

"The Russian embassy in Dhaka has informed that the ship is moving back to Russia without being able to offload at Haldia Port," a foreign ministry official told The Daily Star today.

Russian flag carrier URSA MAJOR was supposed to reach Mongla Port for the Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant on December 24. However, the US embassy in Dhaka informed Bangladesh on December 20 that the vessel carrying the goods was not URSA MAJOR, but Sparta 3, which faces US sanctions in connection with Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

After confirming the matter, Bangladesh authorities refused to let the ship anchor at Mongla Port. The Department of Shipping then told the local shipping agent for Sparta 3 that it would help the ship offload the materials at Haldia Port in Kolkata and then bring the equipment to Rooppur by waterway or road.Officials could not say why Sparta 3 could not offload the equipment at Haldia Port.

"Perhaps the agent could not negotiate with Haldia Port authorities or there was pressure from the US side on India," a foreign ministry official said.The official said this incident would definitely impact the work of the project being implemented by the Russian Rosatom State Atomic Energy Corporation.

Russia sends cargo in sanctioned ship knowingly: Momen​

Diplomatic Correspondent
Dhaka
Published: 22 Jan 2023, 07: 21

The Russian vessel under US sanctions

The Russian vessel under US sanctionsCollected
The foreign minister AK Abdul Momen said they were surprised to see Russia knowingly sending products for the Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant in a sanctioned vessel, imposed by the United States.

"We didn't expect that," lamented the foreign minister.

Abdul Momen came up with this reaction on Sunday afternoon while responding to a newsman's query at the foreign ministry.

He said, "We expect that Russia will send the products to the country by a non-sanctioned ship. A total of 69 vessels are under US sanctions. Beyond these, they have several thousands of ships."

Mentioning that the country has a good relationship with the United States, Abdul Momen said, "We have told Russia to send the goods by any other non-sanctioned ship. We will not welcome Russian ships under US sanction."

The Russian vessel under US sanction named 'URSA MAJOR' has returned from India without unloading the products for the Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant.

The ship waited for around two weeks to unload the cargo in India. However, it failed to get permission from New Delhi to unload the products. Under such circumstances, the vessel left the Indian maritime boundary on 16 January.

Relevant sources say a vessel ‘URSA MAJOR’, bearing the Russian flag, was supposed to reach Mongla port with cargo for the Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant on 24 December.
However, on 20 December, the US informed Bangladesh that the vessel carrying the goods is not 'URSA MAJOR'. Rather, it is a ship named ‘Sparta 3’, which is under US embargo. Although the name and colour of the ship has been changed, its IMO (International Marine Organisation) certificate number matches the IMO number of ‘Sparta-3’.
After confirming that the colour and the name of the vessel carrying the Rooppur consignment have been altered, Bangladesh barred it from anchoring in the port.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom