What's new

Bangladesh Denies Entry To Russian Vessel Loaded With Components For The Nation’s First Nuclear Power Plant

Black_cats

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score

Bangladesh Denies Entry To Russian Vessel Loaded With Components For The Nation’s First Nuclear Power Plant​

ByMI News NetworkJanuary 4, 2023Shipping News

The government of Bangladesh has denied entry to the Russian vessel dubbed Ursa Major, which was delivering components for the Rooppur NPP, per news sources. The Russian-flagged general cargo vessel, formerly known as Sparta III, is reportedly linked to the Russian shipping firm named SC South, which delivers cargo for the country’s Ministry of Defense, including construction material meant for Russia’s bases in the Arctic.

SC South and parent firm Oboronlogistika OOO, a logistics provider that serves the Russian military, were sanctioned by the US Treasury in 2022 (May) following Russia’s military operation in Ukraine.

After Yates Osman, the Bangladesh Science and Technology Minister came to be aware of the sanctioned status of Ursa Major, the ministry refused entry to the vessel, and he told reporters and Russia’s representatives.

Ursa Major
Image for representation purposes only.

Ursa Major was reportedly scheduled to reach Mongla port on 24 December, following the unloading of some items at Kerala’s port of Cochin, India. However, the US allegedly informed Bangladesh via a diplomatic letter that the vessel wasn’t Ursa Major but the sanctioned ship Sparta III and that, even though the colour and name of the boat had been altered, its IMO certificate number happened to match Sparta III’s.

The letter also stated that unloading products from that ship and providing fuel or any other assistance to the sailors of that vessel could risk US sanctions or significant financial penalties, per Prothom Alo, a Bangladesh daily. On confirming the US information, the Bangladesh foreign ministry informed the Ministry of Shipping and the Mongla port authorities that the vessel would be prohibited from the dock.

Ursa Major is waiting off the Sundarbans’ coast. Osman informed Bangladesh’s New Age that Russia had announced that they sent the ship by mistake and would replace it with another vessel to carry the consignment for the Rooppur power plant and deliver it to the port of Bangladesh.

Earlier shipments for Rooppur NPP were reportedly delivered by Russian and neutral, foreign-flagged vessels, including the Russian-flagged ship Kamilla and the Liberian-flagged one titled the Dragonball. Ursa Major (Sparta III) was also the focus of media interest in 2021 when she transited to the port of Dudinka with no ice-navigation permit and ended up being trapped by early-season ice. It took multiple weeks and multiple icebreakers (and a tow) to bring her to the open sea.

References: Nuclear Engineering Magazine, Benar News

Ursa Major is waiting off the Sundarbans’ coast. Osman informed Bangladesh’s New Age that Russia had announced that they sent the ship by mistake and would replace it with another vessel to carry the consignment for the Rooppur power plant and deliver it to the port of Bangladesh.

That was no mistake. They intentionally put Bangladesh on the spot to test Bangladesh's geopolitical allegiance. That was not done in good faith.

I am glad that the Government maintained a neutral posture and didn't let this sanctioned ship in. We don't need to be in any particular camp.

I am glad that the Government maintained a neutral posture and didn't let this sanctioned ship in. We don't need to be in any particular camp.

No, what BD actually proved is that they are indeed in a camp - the American one, even if unwillingly.

I am not going to blame Hasina here. Unlike India or China, BD doesn't have the choice to disobey a US order. But overall, this is a bad sign. Rooppur will continue to force Dhaka to engage Russia for supplies and the sanctions will remain an issue. Today it's a supply ship, tomorrow it could be Russian tech/engagement in general.

No, what BD actually proved is that they are indeed in a camp - the American one, even if unwillingly.

I am not going to blame Hasina here. Unlike India or China, BD doesn't have the choice to disobey a US order. But overall, this is a bad sign. Rooppur will continue to force Dhaka to engage Russia for supplies and the sanctions will remain an issue. Today it's a supply ship, tomorrow it could be Russian tech/engagement in general.

Bangladesh is not in any camp.

Russia shouldn’t have put BD in a spot and has been rightly slapped down.

There is no need to antagonise the west unnecessarily.

Hasina is not hot headed like Imran Khan.

China and Russia not helping BD over Rohingya gives Hasina the excuse to slap them down occasionally.

I didn't mean "being in a camp" as in being a willing and sovereign partner.

It means whose orders you follow. If you are following American orders - willingly or not - you are in their camp.

The rest of it is just cope to paper over the complete American disregard of BD's sovereignty.

I didn't mean "being in a camp" as in being a willing and sovereign partner.

It means whose orders you follow. If you are following American orders - willingly or not - you are in their camp.

The rest of it is just cope to paper over the complete American disregard of BD's sovereignty.

I have a neighbour to the left and right.

Neighbour on the left throws junk into the garden of the right.

I tell him not to do it.

That doesn’t mean I am in any camp.

It just means I don’t want my garden to be used for a poo fight!

Try growing a few brain cells before you start commenting on complex geopolitical issues!

@UKBengali
@EasyNow
@jamahir

Guys, welcome our newest PDF idiot 😂🤩😂

Except that's not what happened here.

Your neighbor on the left was delivering a package to your doorstep. It's part of a vital and strategic national infra project.

You had to refuse the delivery on order from your neighbor on the right.

It's not a 'complex' geopolitical issue. It's fairly simple actually. You are trying to make it sound like some grand chess move. Just more cope.

Your neighbor on the left was delivering a package to your doorstep. It's part of a vital and strategic national infra project.

It's not a 'complex' geopolitical issue. It's fairly simple actually. You are trying to make it sound like some grand chess move. Just more cope.

He didn’t need to antagonise my neighbour to the right…

Hence the slap was necessary.

Hasina has also slapped the US ambassador recently.

Clear message that BD will not take sides

Look here dude, BD is no-one's bitch.

Russia needed some payback for Rohingya and BD maintaining this neutral stance is it for them.

There is no reason for BD to go out on a limb for them here.

Look here dude, BD is no-one's bitch.

Russia needed some payback for Rohingya and BD maintaining this neutral stance is it for them.

There is no reason for BD to go out on a limb for them here.
Yes, every country now believes BD has already reached the stage of a superpower exceeding the power of the Russian Federation.

However, the US allegedly informed Bangladesh via a diplomatic letter that the vessel wasn’t Ursa Major but the sanctioned ship Sparta III and that, even though the colour and name of the boat had been altered, its IMO certificate number happened to match Sparta III’s.

The letter also stated that unloading products from that ship and providing fuel or any other assistance to the sailors of that vessel could risk US sanctions or significant financial penalties, per Prothom Alo, a Bangladesh daily. On confirming the US information, the Bangladesh foreign ministry informed the Ministry of Shipping and the Mongla port authorities that the vessel would be prohibited from the dock.

This isn't good. The Hasina government should have just told American government to shut up. Hasina should learn from Nelson Mandela who used wit, intellect and straight talk to make a hostile American understand why Nelson and the ANC continued to ally with Muammar Gaddafi, Fidel Castro and Yasser Arafat. This is from 1990 :

If Mandela could say this sitting in TV studio in USA why couldn't Hasina tell the American government to shut up while sitting in Dhaka ?

stupid slave haseena if russia will not take nuclear waste where BD will dispose it ?????????

Good point.

Russians are some shady folks.

Why ?

That was no mistake. They intentionally put Bangladesh on the spot to test Bangladesh's geopolitical allegiance. That was not done in good faith.

There is nothing called neutral. For the last 75 years Indian establishment and military have been "neutral" and what does that mean ? From participating in the NATO invasion of DPRK in the 1950-53 Korea war which caused the genocide of up to 2.5 million North Koreans down to 2011 when Indian air force officials happily watching Eurofighter Typhoon jets bombarding Muammar Gaddafi's Bab al Azizia compound because Eurofighter wanted to sell those jets to India and perhaps rumor of an Indian navy ship bombarding Tripoli down to 2022 with Indian army not going to Ukraine in support of the Russian anti-Nazi operation but instead State Bank of India not allowing any more transactions of Russian-government-linked accounts and Infosys shutting down its Moscow office, and many other events in between, this is "neutral". :)

Unfortunate association but somewhat true.

I am not going to blame Hasina here. Unlike India or China, BD doesn't have the choice to disobey a US order.

BD may be being arm-twisted but can that be said of Indian establishment as shown by me above ? :)

Russia shouldn’t have put BD in a spot and has been rightly slapped down.

There is no need to antagonise the west unnecessarily.

Hasina is not hot headed like Imran Khan.

China and Russia not helping BD over Rohingya gives Hasina the excuse to slap them down occasionally.

No, Banana bhai, one must be ideologically and morally correct. :) Like I have been saying, BD is the sanest society in South Asia but such kowtowing to NATO demands will destroy that atmosphere.

I have a neighbour to the left and right.

I tell him not to do it.

That doesn’t mean I am in any camp.

It just means I don’t want my garden to be used for a poo fight!

Try growing a few brain cells before you start commenting on complex geopolitical issues!

@UKBengali
@EasyNow
@jamahir

Guys, welcome our newest PDF idiot 😂🤩😂

Well, RealTalk is partially correct like I present above. :)

There is nothing called neutral. For the last 75 years Indian establishment and military have been "neutral" and what does that mean ? From participating in the NATO invasion of DPRK in the 1950-53 Korea war which caused the genocide of up to 2.5 million North Koreans down to 2011 when Indian air force officials happily watching Eurofighter Typhoon jets bombarding Muammar Gaddafi's Bab al Azizia compound because Eurofighter wanted to sell those jets to India and perhaps rumor of an Indian navy ship bombarding Tripoli down to 2022 with Indian army not going to Ukraine in support of the Russian anti-Nazi operation but instead State Bank of India not allowing any more transactions of Russian-government-linked accounts and Infosys shutting down its Moscow office, and many other events in between, this is "neutral". :)
Send your long essay to a dustbin as no one has time to read through the five-page writing nor anyone will understand why do you always deflect from the topic of a thread.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom