What's new

Bangladesh Cuisine & Restaurants

We are thinking about taking patent of all our cuisine and charging patent fee from Bangladeshis for eating any of the items (which is everything that Bangladeshis commonly eat)!! :D
aur kiya karsakta hein ? tera kudki kuch hein nehi lol

This is not really on topic - but ever since the first Sylhetis went to London in the early 1700's as naval cooks and lascars, the patent on 'Indian' cuisine overseas (that was seeded from UK) has been theoretically conferred to our region and our Bangal cooking.

History of Bangladeshis in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's a generic mid-priced restaurant (clearly owned by Sylhetis or Bangladeshis) serving so-called 'Indian' cuisine in the UK. Not even talking about high-class restaurants - the standards in this one (for the price) I'd say is pretty high. There are thousands of these Sylheti restaurants in the UK, not least in Brick Lane and Shoreditch area in London, the home of the UK Bangladeshi diaspora.

Last edited:
Opinions don't have to be justified - they're just opinions (right or wrong).

However from my travels, I notice Delhi and Mumbai don't have a lot of East Asian choices like Korean, Vietnamese, Indonesian. I could be wrong however. Dhaka has an exceedingly large number of Korean, Thai and Filipino expats (because of apparel trade) who have enriched our culinary horizons. In fact Dhaka has an inordinately large number of Thai restaurants at every price level.

Is there a Mumbai or Delhi restaurant thread here? Please post link(s) if possible.

Coffee Places

Sorry mate have to disagree.. I have traveled most of South Asia, Bombay has to be the culinary capital of South Asia.. And then Bangalore, Colombo comes a close third, And i'm talking of experience of a non Indian

Dhaka's culinary options maybe growing, And thats good to hear.. But it's no where close to the cities i have mentioned when it comes to selection and better dining

Btw those places you have posted looks pretty nice

Last edited:
Sorry mate have to disagree.. I have traveled most of South Asia, Bombay has to be the culinary capital of South Asia.. And then Bangalore, Colombo comes a close third, And i'm talking of experience of a non Indian

Dhaka's culinary options maybe growing, And thats good to hear.. But it's no where close to the cities i have mentioned when it comes to selection and better dining

Btw those places you have posted looks pretty nice

Maybe you are correct - but have you been to Dhaka at all in the last couple of years?

I have been to Dhaka, Mumbai and Delhi in the last two years and while Dhaka may not boast the number of restaurants like Delhi and Mumbai (it's a much smaller, dense place and tourism is relatively new), the numbers and options of culinary faire available is quite varied and Dhaka can comfortably hold its own. I know there is a Mumbai thread available for restaurants. Please post one for Colombo (and/or Bangalore) if you have time.

By the way, a few images,

The rooftop casual restaurant at Radisson Blu (Water Garden)
1450238_13_z.jpg

Food found at George's (a moderately priced coffee place in Uttara)
10700493_354325678077108_4426963623754133464_o.jpg
10633618_345509815625361_8209276722942432737_o.jpg
10614129_344137679095908_1634595043630619575_n.jpg

10171160_338729479636728_6066116097249076755_n.jpg

Interesting video at George's from new year's 2014

Last edited:
'Brazil Churrasco' Churrascaria in Dhaka

06.jpg

05.jpg

Let us admit it, we all love buffet. Does not matter how many items we can consume, the more food items laid across the table, the more satisfied we come back home. But while most of us follow the basic rule of starting the meal from the appetizers and take a long walk to the main dishes, there are the few clever ones who know exactly where to start.

They will skip the entrée and jump right to the protein section. They will start piling up their plates with all possible options of meats and go on until there is any space left. But well, such actions never go unseen. If you are one of those, you will off course get awkward glances and hear annoyed murmurs. Good enough to ruin your mood. But what if we give you an option where you can simply enjoy your meaty affair with no interference.

You will sit and chill while the Passadors will come and serve food right on your plate. The Passadors are waiters who move around the restaurant with skewers, slicing meat onto the client’s plate. It is a very new concept in Dhaka and the restaurant team takes pride to have trained the first batch of such specialized meat servers. So you do not have any unwanted attention, no chaos; only you and your meal of unlimited meat servings. Brazil Churrasco promises to offer all these and much more.

Brazil Churrasco is an award-winning restaurant serving and specializing in Brazilian cuisine a la Churrasco. It started at Singapore in 1994 and after spreading across many countries, it has very recently opened a franchise in Dhaka. The restaurant is located just few yards from the Gulshan 2 circle, so you won’t have a difficult time getting there. It is a spacious place with comfortable sitting arrangement and pleasant lighting. There is a mocktail bar and an open air smoking zone. So far, so good, but now it is time to judge the food.

Dining at Brazil Churrasco is pretty easy and simple. You do not have to bury your nose in the menu card and wonder what to pick from dozens of items. There are two meal options only. One is the full meal which includes the Grill and Salad bar and the other is a light meal consisting of the salad items only.

We started with the salads. The salad bar consists of 20 different types out of which 8 are hot and 12 are cold items. Salpicao, Mixed Fruit, Sea Food, Sambal Egg Noodle, Chicken pasta salad and Fiejoda, Ovo Frito Arroz, Rosemary potato are few of the names worth mentioning. Each of these serve as great sides to the protein dominated meal. After filling up our plates with salads, it is time for the main part, the grill! Currently 11 grill items are available which includes 6 cuts of Beef, 2 cuts of chicken, Lamb, Prawn and the Brazil Churrasco special- Abacaxi Grelhado.

Each meat cut have specialized names like Carne Costela, Cordeiro Perna and Presunto Carne . But because this is not a tongue twister exercise, we will be using the regularly used names of the meat cuts. First the Passadors came and served us with a piece of chicken thigh. It was succulent and tender, a good start. Next came the beef hump followed by garlic beef. We found the later to be one of the best items here. It was full of flavour and had garlic shavings on top but to a proportion as such that the garlic does not over power the original flavor of meat. Then came the chicken breast, beautifully marinated with flavours reaching to the deep. Next was the beef ham. It had a slightly crispy crust but tender inside. Then we were served with beef tenderloin, small moist chunks of meat. After a series of beef items, there came prawns and lamb followed by beef ribs. You could tell how well cooked it was by watching the meats cleanly slide of the bones.

At the end we were served with their special dish Abacaxi Grelhado. It was a whole grilled pineapple with caramelized crust. As a thin portion was sliced down in our plate, we felt the sweetness of the crust followed by the tangy taste of pineapple. A great distraction from the meats.

Now as the first round was over, the entire process will start again. The Passadors will come again in regular intervals and serve as much meat as you want. Beside, the option of refilling your plate from the salad bar is there too.
To accompany your meal, there is wide range of mocktails to choose from. We tried Virgin Caipirinha, Copacabana Chiller and the Rio Carnival. The first one was very refreshing and it became our personal favourite. The others were great as well.
But well, that is not where it all ends. There are desserts too! We tried the Choco Laranja. It was a crepe with milk chocolate filling and orange zests. We could taste the sweetness of the chocolate and the acidity of the fruit, a perfect balance of flavours. There are also options of cheesecakes and chocolate tarts.

So after a long meal, it is time to discuss the bills. The Full meal is priced Tk 2,200++ and Light meal Tk 1,450++. There is also an option of Tk 1200++ , for children below the age of 12 but for infants below 4, it is free. It might sound very pricey, but we have spoken to many meat lovers and they have said that the money was totally worth it. But well, if you are a lettuce lover, then maybe you should go for the light meal option on your first visit. But then again, why not do a little experiment? So we have shared our side of the story, now it is your turn to go and create yours.

Address: House- 2, Road -90, Gulshan 2, Dhaka.
Opening hours: 6:30 pm – 11:00 pm

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On a slightly different note a critique article:

Ridiculously expensive eats
N Anita Amreen

Dhaka | Restaurants & Fast Food - Part 3

Last edited:
I have been to Dhaka, Mumbai and Delhi in the last two years and while Dhaka may not boast the number of restaurants like Delhi and Mumbai (it's a much smaller, dense place and tourism is relatively new), the numbers and options of culinary faire available is quite varied and Dhaka can comfortably hold its own. I know there is a Mumbai thread available for restaurants. Please post one for Colombo (and/or Bangalore) if you have time.

Which restaurants in Bombay/Delhi have you tried?

wait...there's a thread for restaurants in Bombay here on pdf? Wow, where?

The best food can always be found at that unknown shop in a hidden alleyway.

I dislike eating at those fine dining places because most of them serve shitty to average food.

Bangladeshis from Sylhet who sell unauthentic Indian curries in the UK. :sick:

Dhaka's food is too oily, it doesn't suit me. I can only have food at the Uttara club and homemade food.

you sound like a burger bacha.

when you think of Bangladesh you may think of 1000 things but food isn't one of them

when you think of Bangladesh you may think of 1000 things but food isn't one of them

You need to drop in to Dhaka one of these days Sir.

Your impressions are dated to say the least. :-)

Things have changed....

Which restaurants in Bombay/Delhi have you tried?

wait...there's a thread for restaurants in Bombay here on pdf? Wow, where?

I was staying with family friends in Mumbai on the way back to Dhaka and my hosts mentioned this place called 'Mekong' at the Palladium (Great hotel by the way). The selection was good but the view was great from 35 floors up. Delhi I'm sorry to say was unspectacular as far as 'Chinese food'. The variety of different Chinese cuisine, such as Hakka or Nonya, Korean varieties of food or Vietnamese Pho is totally absent. Maybe local preference.

Generally I find though that for some reason the oriental cuisine in Dhaka is more authentic and more reasonably priced - minus the snooty 'atmosphere' and pretense you find in Mumbai. Whether its because of proximity to Thailand, MY or SG I don't know.

Love the nightspots in Mumbai though (especially 'Blue Frog')....its in a class by itself.

This is not really on topic - but ever since the first Sylhetis went to London in the early 1700's as naval cooks and lascars, the patent on 'Indian' cuisine overseas (that was seeded from UK) has been theoretically conferred to our region and our Bangal cooking.

History of Bangladeshis in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's a generic mid-priced restaurant (clearly owned by Sylhetis or Bangladeshis) serving so-called 'Indian' cuisine in the UK. Not even talking about high-class restaurants - the standards in this one (for the price) I'd say is pretty high. There are thousands of these Sylheti restaurants in the UK, not least in Brick Lane and Shoreditch area in London, the home of the UK Bangladeshi diaspora.
which high class resturants in UK are bangladeshi?

which high class resturants in UK are bangladeshi?

The quick answer of course is 'Le Raj' owned by restaurateur Enam Ali (British Bangladeshi founder of the UK Curry Awards).

Le Raj - Award Winning Restaurant in Epsom Downs, Surrey, London, UK

Enam Ali MBE FIH - Photos - Google+

The British Curry Awards 2014 | British Curry Awards

Tommy Miah (Fellow of Britain's Royal Society of Arts) is another famous Bangladeshi restaurateur. There are hundreds of these Bangladeshi restaurants all over the UK, some high class and some middling level. Please do your own searches on trip advisor. Sylhetis arrived in the UK in the 17th century as ships cooks and led the Indian curry revolution in Britain earlier than Indians from other areas.

Some of our PDF posters from the UK may also know about this better than I do.

Bangladeshis from Sylhet who sell unauthentic Indian curries in the UK. :sick:

Authenticity is a double-edged sword - sometimes you have to tailor food to suit local tastes.

Chicken Tikka Masala and Balti Chicken were British-Bangladeshi inventions meant for UK taste-buds and unknown back in Bangladesh (or India for that matter). So think of it as 'UK Curry' and not Indian Curry.

And I think a lot of the Bangladeshi posters here will agree that curry tastes different all over the subcontinent. I prefer the Bangladeshi version with a lot less salt and not loaded with spice like in the North Indian variety.

So to each his own culinary freedom. This practice of claiming food as one's own is baffling to me.

Back
Top Bottom