What's new

Bangladesh Cricket

Bangladesh Deserves It
Tuesday, 19 October 2010 Author / Source : Sports Reporter

There was nothing surreal that staged at Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium over the last two weeks. What was an expected result prior to the series that was just reversed but no one staked claim it was fluke. Bangladesh deserved the series more than New Zealand. The visitors were totally outplayed, out batted, out bowled and outsmarted.

Literally they had not been winning position in any game though result might have suggested they were on the verge of victory at least three matches as those were marginal defeat. They lost first and third matches by nine runs while last one by three runs and totally was crushed in the third match when they lost it by seven wickets.

Whatever the statistics suggested, the reality was Bangladesh was by far better than their counterparts and obviously no excuse for New Zealand. They could not claim them as weaker side in absence of Jacob Oram and Scott Styris. Even without Daniel Vettori, the nucleus of the team, they had already taken Australia at the receiving end before losing the five match series by 2-3.

Prior to playing against Bangladesh they stunned India by wrapping up their strong batting line up for 88 runs to pull off magnificent 200 runs win in the opening game of the Tri-nation series in Sri Lanka. Eventually they failed to make it to final but they were never a side to be crushed by Bangladesh.

However Bangladesh put more bravery on the field, something the New Zealand lacked. More importantly the hosts won the crucial moment in every time. When their batting didn’t click, Bangladeshi bowlers and fielders compensated it and when bowling or fielding failed to click, batters paid the dividends. Only big team can turn the things like this way. Bangladeshi players however were not ready to embalm them as big team but termed it as the huge step of being big team.

And the winning habit enhanced the confidence that the habit would be the driving force to win against big teams at regular basis.
“Not that we are now big force in the world cricket but the way we worked and belief was installed inside us, we believe we would be the tough competitor for any side very soon. But we have to keep up the working hard and have to beat the big teams at regular basis,” said skipper Shakib Al Hasan.

“At our home den, we are hard opponents for any team outside the Asian country. But the real development graph will be understood once we’ll start beating the Asian side like this way in our own yard,” he added.

Shakib who led the side from the front and comfortably the most influential player to make the difference between the two sides saw a dynamic development of their mentality and fielding.

“Earlier we always lost the crucial moment to loss the baton of the match but in this series we won all decisive situations which were the sign on how we are being mentally tough.

“Apart from the last match, our fielding was good and showed a lot better fielding than any other series. Credit should go for Julien Fountain and out bowling coach Ian Pont also had a great job. With the minimum time, they changed the mentality and attitude of our pace bowlers and fielders,” he said.

Meanwhile, criticism poured on poor Daniel Vettori and Co. Former Black Cap Simon O’Doull has labelled the side’s series whitewash to Bangladesh embarrassing and gives the team little chance at next year’s World Cup.

“It’s embarrassing. 4-0 to Bangladesh, yes they’re improving, they’re a better side and not easy at home but they’re a side we should beat nine times out of 10.

I can’t see any answers,” O’Doull told LiveSPORT. Said nzhearald.co.nz “We’re going into a World Cup in two and a half months and if we think we’re going to be anywhere near the top eight we’re dreaming at the moment. “They could turn it around but it’s going to take a miracle.”

Not matter who said what. Our boys stopped them to play their real game.

New Zealand Cricket GM Geoff Allott quits over Bangladesh humiliation

The Hindu : Sport News : New Zealand Cricket GM Geoff Allott quits over Bangladesh humiliation

New Zealand Cricket’s General Manager Geoff Allot today said he would step down from his post at the end of this month in the aftermath of the Black Caps’ humiliating 0-4 ODI series loss to Bangladesh recently.

Allott, who has been associated with the team for two years, had the responsibility to oversee the development of a long-term high-performance strategy.

But he developed differences with NZC over how the plan should work and said the 0-4 drubbing in Bangladesh last month only highlighted them.

“It became evident during my work on that strategy that New Zealand Cricket may require a different allocation of resources within high performance in the future,” Allott was quoted as saying by the local media here.

“This was reinforced to me during the recent review following the Bangladesh tour. I believe our elite athletes and teams need a combination of the best available high performance expertise and the knowledge of cricket experts who understand the technical aspects of the game,” he added.

Allott said his plans for Daniel Vettori’s men, who are currently touring India for a Test and ODI series, are different from NZCs.

“On that basis the High Performance structure that I consider is best for cricket’s future would be different to the current structure and with a different allocation of resources. I have effectively restructured myself out of a job, but I truly believe this to be in the best interests of cricket.

“This was a difficult decision for me to make because I am passionate about the game that has given me so much. After a break with my family, I will consider several other opportunities that exist, both inside and outside of cricket,” he said.

NZC CEO Justin Vaughan lauded Allott’s contribution in shaping the team.

“Geoff has made an enormous contribution to cricket in New Zealand. He was instrumental in the negotiation of the ground-breaking eight-year agreement with the NZ Cricket Players Association and has led the development of the high performance strategy with the unique insights that a former international cricketer can bring to the process,” he said.

<i>Ganguly's timely return</i>

Thursday, November 11, 2010
SportsICC Cricket World Cup 2011
Ganguly's timely return

Former India captain Sourav Ganguly arrives at the Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport yesterday. The great left-handed batsman came here to attend a ceremony to mark the start of 100-day countdown to the ICC Cricket World Cup 2011. PHOTO: ANISUR RAHMAN
Bishwajit RoySourav Ganguly took a few moments to recall that historic day when he went out to toss with Naimur Rahman 10 years ago at the Bangabandhu National Stadium. It was November 10, 2000; a memorable day for the country's cricket as Bangladesh began life as a Test-playing nation on that particular day.

"I must confess I can't remember why this day is significant," responded Ganguly when asked whether he could remember the day's importance.

The former India captain, who arrived yesterday to grace the ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 countdown function in Dhaka, dealt with the googly while speaking with the reporters at the Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport.

Once given a hint, he quickly recalled: "Yes, I can remember everything now. It was Bangladesh's inaugural Test match and they scored 400-plus runs in the first innings," replied Ganguly.

It was also a small piece of history as it was not just Ganguly's first Test as India's captain, but the first time in cricket history when two Bengali-speaking skippers led their sides.

India's most successful Test captain believed Bangladesh have improved a lot in the last 10 years since they have been elevated into the elite club.

"There were some good players in the squad when we played the first Test against them but there are a number of quality players in the team now. The recent performance against New Zealand showed the real sign of improvement," said Ganguly.

"I keenly follow Bangladesh cricket and watched all the matches against New Zealand. The 4-0 scoreline was amazing. I think their performance has significantly improved in the last one year. There are young players like Shakib [Al Hasan] and Tamim [Iqbal] who are showing their characters," he added.

"The good sign is that the players are performing but there are still a lot of areas they must improve on.

"I believe they will become a much better side soon if they continue their improvement. The improvement in the longer-version might not be satisfactory but you can't expect everything overnight," he said.

Ganguly was confident about Bangladesh's success in the upcoming World Cup as he thinks that the slow bowlers have an advantage in home conditions.

"Staging the World Cup and performing in it is a totally different thing. I firmly believe Bangladesh has the quality to play good cricket in the coming World Cup in their own conditions. They already proved against New Zealand that how good they are in their home soil," opined Ganguly, who considered the 2003 World Cup performance as the best in his career.

He also said that Bangladesh were on the right track now under the guidance of Australian coach Jamie Siddons.

"I never got any concrete offer from Bangladesh about a coaching job. I think the team is doing well under Jamie [Siddons], so there is no need to involve more people. But I'm always interested in Bangladesh cricket," said Ganguly.

He however suggested that Bangladesh must go for long-term planning. "World Cup is important but they must think beyond the mega event. The important thing is that they must perform abroad. It's nice to watch Tamim hitting a hundred at Lord's. Some other players also performed in different conditions," he observed.

One of the greatest one-day batsmen of all time, Ganguly emphasises on the longer-version cricket although the Twenty20 format is seemingly taking the centre-stage these days. The latest version of the game could be a big threat for a country like Bangladesh who are yet to get a firm grip of the longer-version.

"Twenty20 is financially lucrative and there is also huge public interest in it because of the short time it takes [to complete the game]. But Test cricket is the real deal.

"One can be successful in any format if he is good in Test cricket. So, young cricketers must concentrate on that format," advised Ganguly, informing that he has a plan to play in the Indian Premier League for two more years.

Besides cricket there was an obvious question about his popular TV show "Dadagiri".

"I'm really enjoying this show," said a smiling Ganguly.

Pakistan, Bangladesh in women's cricket semifinal

By RIZWAN ALI
Associated Press
2010-11-15 03:52 PM

4077466.jpg

China Asian Games Cricket
Associated Press (2010-11-13 18:13:27)
China's Sun Mengyao, left, looks to play a shot from Malaysian bowler Rewina Mohammad during their women's cricket match at the 16th Asian Games in Guangzhou, China, Saturday, Nov. 13, 2010. (AP Photo/Wong Maye-E)

Openers Nida Rashid and Javeria Wadood guided favorites Pakistan to the semifinals with a nine-wicket win over China in the Asian Games women's Twenty20 cricket tournament on Monday.

Both Pakistan batters made 27 runs each before Mei Chunhua had Rashid trapped leg before wicket when Pakistan needed just one run for victory.

Wadood, who was twice dropped during her unbeaten innings, hit the winning boundary as Pakistan achieved the victory target in 12.2 overs after restricting China to 60-5 off its 20 overs.

The win also earned Pakistan a place in Thursday's semifinals from Pool A as one of the two seeded teams in the tournament. Bangladesh _ the other seeded team in the tournament from Pool B _ also went through the semifinal with a 54-run win overs Japan.

"China did well, but I guess our international exposure is better and that's why we came good today," Rashid said.

"Their fielding is good and they have some good fast bowlers, but they need to improve their batting."

China had one bright moment while they batted when Huang Zhuo (14) hit the first six of the tournament when she lofted Pakistan captain Sana Mir over mid-off boundary.

Opener Zhang Mei also scored 14 off 32 balls, but Pakistan's experienced bowlers did not give up many loose deliveries once its star batter Sun Huan was yorked by Masooma Junaid (3) with the total on 26.

"I felt it was a match between young and a mature team and there was a difference in terms of technique and tactics," Chinese captain Wang Meng said.

Rashid was impressed with the way the Chinese women competed against her team.

"It didn't look to me as if they were playing for the first time against major opponents," Rashid said.

"They were talking to each other and trying to place fielders at the right positions which shows they are learning this game."

New ball bowler Asmavia Iqbal, who was also among the wickets with 1-17, hoped to win gold for Pakistan _ especially in the absence of India from the competition.

"If we do all our basics right and the level of competition, we have in this tournament I hope we go back with gold," she said.

Bangladesh, which elected to bat after winning the toss, compiled 111-8 off its 20 overs thanks to N.A. Suktaraa's 37 off 45 balls which included two fours. Salma Khatun scored better than run-a-ball 24 while Rumana Ahmed made 21.

Japan lost its way against some tidy Bangladesh bowling and finished at 57-8. Spinner Suktaraa chipped in with three wickets for just six runs off her four overs that included two maidens.

Captain Ema Kuribayashi had expected to chase down even 120 runs at the toss, but her top score of 18 was not enough to win the game.

Pakistan and Bangladesh are likely to meet in Friday's final while China hopes to get at least a bronze.

Abdur Razzak hat-trick defeats Zimbabwe in second ODI

BBC Sport - Cricket - Abdur Razzak hat-trick defeats Zimbabwe in second ODI

Second one-day international, Mirpur:
Bangladesh 194-4 beat Zimbabwe 191 by six wickets
Match scorecard
Abdul Razzak
Razzak was Bangladesh's star player on Friday

Abdur Razzak (5-30) took a hat-trick to set up a six-wicket victory for Bangladesh in the second one-day international against Zimbabwe.

With Zimbabwe's 191 all out easily overhauled in Mirpur in 39.4 overs, the five-match series is 1-1 after the first two contests.

Spinner Razzak backed up captain Shakib Al Hasan's 4-39 as the Zimbabwe innings lasted 46.2 overs.

Bangladesh got home with more than 10 overs left, Raqibul Hasan making 65.

Junaid Siddique (53 from 83) and Tamim Iqbal (44 from 48) also put in good performances after the batsmen's jobs had been made much easier by Bangladesh's two slow left-armers.

The first victim in Razzak's hat-trick was Prosper Utseya (32), who came down the track and hoisted a catch into the deep to the last ball of the 45th over.

606: DEBATE
Who will win the series?

Razzak then had Ray Price lbw before last man Christopher Mpofu was also trapped in front.

Craig Ervine top-scored for Zimbabwe with 42 not out before Price returned 2-41 with the ball.

Micromax ODI Cup
Bangladesh Vs Zimbabwe
Shakib sins, what did they?

Shakib sins, what did they?

2010-12-03__sp11.jpg

THINGS TO PONDER: Bangladesh coach Jamie Siddons (R) is in conversation with captain Shakib Al Hasan during a practice session yesterday. It is time for the captain to cool down and regain focus after his seething remarks following the 9-run loss to Zimbabwe on Wednesday.Photo: STARBishwajit Roy

Everybody was curious to know yesterday how the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) would react to Shakib Al Hasan's post-match outburst after Wednesday's nine-run defeat to Zimbabwe.

The way the young Bangladesh skipper spoke at the press briefing after the defeat was understandably a violation of the code of conduct, regardless of those being valid points or not. So the focus was on how the game's governing body acts in response to this on disciplinary grounds. For any professional organisation, it is a must to ensure discipline in all its activities and make sure that nobody is bigger than the game. It will set a bad precedent if rules are not followed.

Things turn more complicated when the authorities themselves display the same lack of responsibility as the captain. The issue of everyone talking left and right without being guided by the book was demonstrated by some of the high-ups, from BCB president AHM Mustafa Kamal to coach Jamie Siddons, did not make the situation any better.

It only proves that there is a lack of professionalism in the board activities because there must be someone designated to speak on this kind of issues rather than many confusing voices.

It was hard to understand yesterday what was the stand of BCB against Shakib's statement and sometimes raised the questions about who actually told the truth. There was definitely a lack of coordination.

The words of the organisation's chief hold weight but it can also become pointless at times.

"He (Shakib) was right, especially after the way four batsmen were run out. The captain can pick anybody, even from outside the 15-member squad, in the home series," was Kamal's stunning revelation to a few journalists in the Academy House.

He also added: "I don't know why he said like that. It could be out of frustration."

However the BCB boss did not say whether his own statement was also out of frustration.

BCB's cricket operations committee chairman Enayet Hossain Siraj had a long chat with coach Siddons and captain Shakib along with the selectors and what he said was that Shakib was "upset" after the defeat and that's the reason behind his outburst.

"What he said was that he was upset," was Siraj's explanation. When asked about any disciplinary action, Siraj was not ready to say whether Shakib breached the code of conduct and only said: "Let the series finish first."

Coach Siddons also said his piece regarding the issue. "I think Shakib was a little bit misunderstood. I didn't think Shakib should talk to the media so soon after the match. He was angry with the team, angry with himself because he got out and let the team down ascaptain, put us under pressure. But it was unfair to put him under that situation. I think he was very angry, he was saying anything he could think of," explained Siddons.

"Shakib told the team that he said a lot of stuff, he made a mistake. Ash [Mohammad Ashraful] was very supportive and told him that when you're under pressure you say a lot of things. Ash has seen these situations when he was the captain. Mash [Mashrafe Bin Mortaza] was also supportive of him," added the Australian.

Siraj said Shakib was upset while Siddons informed that the captain regretted his actions to his teammates but the man himself gave a different impression while talking with the reporters although he had earlier smilingly said that there was an embargo on him for speaking to the press.

"Yes there was definitely some logic behind that reaction besides the emotional factor," said Shakib, again defending his stance.

But refreshingly the young all-rounder admitted that it was wrong the way he reacted after the match in the post-match briefing. "I shouldn't have chosen this way," he admitted.

It however doesn't matter whether Shakib admitted his fault; rather the important issue is that the board failed to act in the right way. "It's unfortunate what happened but we should give more concentration on the series right now and that will be more professional."

"It is true that discipline is a very important issue for any professional organisation and we will definitely talk about it after the series," assured BCB's chief executive officer Manzur Ahmed.

So, everybody has to wait for December 13 for the post-mortem to begin.

Pakistan pair not allowed to play in Bangladesh
10 December 2010, 18:30

Pakistan pair not allowed to play in Bangladesh - SuperSport - Cricket
ShoaibMalik100722InactionG300.jpg

Shoaib Malik

The Pakistan Cricket Board has refused permission for former captain Shoaib Malik and wicketkeeper Kamran Akmal to play league cricket in Bangladesh.

The pair had applied for no-objection certificates after they were overlooked for Pakistan's tour to New Zealand starting this month.

"I was very keen to go and play in the Bangladesh league but the board has told us to just focus on playing in the Quaid-e-Azam Trophy in domestic cricket," Akmal told reporters.

"I had got a good offer and wanted to go and play there but unfortunately the clearance has not come."

Bangladesh v Zimbabwe, 5th ODI, Chittagong
Tamim steers Bangladesh to series win

Bangladesh v Zimbabwe, 5th ODI: Tamim Iqbal steers Bangladesh to series win | Bangladesh v Zimbabwe, 5th ODI, Chittagong Report | Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

The Bulletin by Abhishek Purohit

December 12, 2010
Text size: A | A

Bangladesh 189 for 4 (Tamim 95, Siddique 56*) beat Zimbabwe 188 for 6 (Taibu 64, Ervine 46, Shakib 3-58) by six wickets
Scorecard and ball-by-ball details

Tamim Iqbal's explosive 95 blew away Zimbabwe on a slow Chittagong pitch on which the visitors had limped to 188 for 6, giving Bangladesh a six-wicket victory and a sixth-consecutive series win over Zimbabwe. On a track where the rest of the batsmen managed ten boundaries, Tamim clattered seven sixes and five fours after starting cautiously and surviving some anxious moments. Despite three of the top five batsmen contributing 13 runs between them, and Junaid Siddique taking 105 deliveries to reach a half-century, Tamim's charge allowed Bangladesh to canter to victory as they took the series 3-1.

He had curbed his natural attacking instincts after Imrul Kayes fell to the fourth delivery of the chase, before opening up with a pull over square leg off Chris Mpofu in the seventh over. Mpofu's next over was an example of how the chase progressed - in sporadic spurts amid fortuitous let-offs. Tamim went for his favourite heave down the ground off the first delivery, but got an inside-edge that went just past the stumps for a boundary. The third delivery was lifted cleanly over long-off for six, before Mpofu made a mess of a straightforward chance as Tamim chipped a slower one in the air.

Tamim continued to take his chances, treating the spinners with disdain and repeatedly targeting the area between deep midwicket and long-off. He also played-and-missed in between, highlighting the slow nature of the pitch though it had quickened up a touch compared to when Zimbabwe were batting. Flicks and drives just cleared the infield, but what stood out in Tamim's effort was the urgency with which he approached the modest target, in stark contrast to Zimbabwe's batsmen who had crawled at around two an over for more than half their innings.

Siddique's effort was far scratchier as he struggled to find the gaps. But Tamim's briskness at the other end meant he could get away with working the ball around. Elton Chigumbura rotated his bowlers but it didn't have any effect on Tamim, who reached his half-century in the 20th over off 61 balls. Zimbabwe didn't help themselves as Tamim was left off once again, Tatenda Taibu failing to catch the bottom-edge off Ray Price. Tamim responded by moving from 50 to 95 in 34 deliveries, smashing five more sixes before falling while attempting yet another six, holing out to Graeme Cremer who took a diving catch running in from the deep midwicket boundary. By then, however, Bangladesh needed only 50 off 21 overs.

Taibu and Craig Ervine had earlier put on Zimbabwe's highest partnership of the series but their progress was painfully slow, before a late charge in the batting Powerplay took the visitors to 188 on a surface that didn't turn much. Only nine boundaries were hit - six of them in the final six overs - partly because of the low and slow nature of the surface and the damp outfield, but largely due to the lack of intent Zimbabwe displayed.

The first boundary came in the 24th over when Taibu stepped out and lifted Naeem Islam over mid-off. The batsmen showed more purpose after that and the duo had added 95 before Ervine fell, going for another reverse-sweep and getting a top edge that Mushfiqur Rahim gobbled up. Taibu, who made his first half-century of the series, continued to hustle between the wickets. From 137 for 4 after 44 overs, Zimbabwe took 42 off the batting Powerplay, using the lofted shot over the infield to good effect.

Zimbabwe's downward spiral had continued in the morning after Chigumbura opted to bat, and their confused state was typified by some mindless running. Bangladesh usually rely on their spinners to contain the runs but today their quicks, Mashrafe Mortaza and Shafiul Islam, did that job by being on target right from the start.

Zimbabwe helped Bangladesh with repeated attempts at self-destruction, the first of which came as early as the first legitimate delivery of the match, also the first free-hit of the series. Brendan Taylor pushed a full swinging delivery to extra cover and rushed more than halfway down the pitch before he glanced at Hamilton Masakadza, who was rightly rooted at the non-striker's end. Suhrawadi Shuvo had already swooped down on the ball, and waited for an instant before aiming at the striker's stumps and scoring a direct hit.

Mortaza deserved some rewards for his efforts, and soon trapped Masakadza and Dabengwa leg-before. Zimbabwe had slipped to 21 for 3, and the 11th over was already on. They never really recovered after that, and Tamim's blistering knock in his first series after wrist surgery shut them out completely.
Innings Dot balls 4s 6s PP1 PP2 PP3 Last 10 overs NB/Wides
Zimbabwe 188 7 2 21/2 6/1 42/2 68/2 1/7
Bangladesh 161 6 7 37/1 20/0 - 10/0 (43) 0/14

Abhishek Purohit is an editorial assistant at ESPNcricinfo

&#169; ESPN EMEA Ltd.

I am liking the new look of Mirpur Sher e Bangla stadium and awaiting for the Zahur Ahmed stadium in Chittagong to completion :tup:

I am fed up with BCB. Why aren't this clown developing Sylhet stadium. It could be another attractive venue for international and domestic game. We should revolt against BCB. :smokin:

Last edited:
bangladesh's player ashrafull position in the world cup squad might be in trouble he is out of team for four match against Zimbabwe and the relation between sakib and ashraful is not going well i think. unfortunate for ashrafull

Back
Top Bottom