Bangladesh application to join BRICS: China ready to welcome new members

BANGLADESH

TBS Report
20 June, 2023, 05:55 pm
Last modified: 20 June, 2023, 06:36 pm
Photo: Collected

China is ready to welcome more members to BRICS, Spokesperson of Chinese Foreign Ministry Mao Ning said in response to a question on Bangladesh's application to join the five-country.

Emphasising that the BRICS is committed to increasing the representation and say of emerging markets and developing countries, Mao Ning told Russian media agency RIA Novosti, "As an important platform for cooperation among emerging markets and developing countries, BRICS is committed to upholding multilateralism, vigorously advancing the reform of the global governance system…

"The expansion of BRICS is a political consensus reached by all five BRICS members. China is committed to advancing the BRICS expansion and stands ready to bring more like-minded partners into the big family of BRICS."

Earlier, Bangladesh had formally requested to join the BRICS coalition, consisting of Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa.

Foreign Minister AK Abdul Momen said a formal letter of interest in this regard has been sent to the current chair of BRICS and South Africa's Foreign Minister Naledi Pandor.

"Yes, we have expressed our interest and applied to join the alliance."

On Monday, Foreign Minister AK Abdul Momen said Bangladesh would accept if the BRICS formally invited the country to join the group comprising five member states – Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.

"We will surely join once they invite us. We are yet to receive any formal letter [inviting us to join]. The BRICS leaders are thinking of taking some emerging economies – around eight new countries including Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Indonesia and Bangladesh," he said.

Bangladesh application to join BRICS: China ready to welcome new members

BANGLADESH

TBS Report
20 June, 2023, 05:55 pm
Last modified: 20 June, 2023, 06:36 pm

China is ready to welcome more members to BRICS, Spokesperson of Chinese Foreign Ministry Mao Ning said in response to a question on Bangladesh's application to join the five-country.

Emphasising that the BRICS is committed to increasing the representation and say of emerging markets and developing countries, Mao Ning told Russian media agency RIA Novosti, "As an important platform for cooperation among emerging markets and developing countries, BRICS is committed to upholding multilateralism, vigorously advancing the reform of the global governance system…

"The expansion of BRICS is a political consensus reached by all five BRICS members. China is committed to advancing the BRICS expansion and stands ready to bring more like-minded partners into the big family of BRICS."

Earlier, Bangladesh had formally requested to join the BRICS coalition, consisting of Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa.

Foreign Minister AK Abdul Momen said a formal letter of interest in this regard has been sent to the current chair of BRICS and South Africa's Foreign Minister Naledi Pandor.

"Yes, we have expressed our interest and applied to join the alliance."

On Monday, Foreign Minister AK Abdul Momen said Bangladesh would accept if the BRICS formally invited the country to join the group comprising five member states – Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.

"We will surely join once they invite us. We are yet to receive any formal letter [inviting us to join]. The BRICS leaders are thinking of taking some emerging economies – around eight new countries including Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Indonesia and Bangladesh," he said.

I hope the GoB conducts a detailed cost-benefit analysis before joining to BRICS. If joining to BRICS brings investments to Bangladesh then I am all for joining to the group.

I don't know why Pakistan is not joining BRICS and china must kick out India because India is a big loop hole here India in one side joining USA led group against China and in BRICS working against de dollarization don't know how they fulfill opposite commitments against both super powers India is playing double game here in this entire region India is only country in Arabian peninsula is against China infact all there defence deals made as seeing china there biggest enemy

I don't know why Pakistan is not joining BRICS and china must kick out India because India is a big loop hole here India in one side joining USA led group against China and in BRICS working against de dollarization don't know how they fulfill opposite commitments against both super powers India is playing double game here in this entire region India is only country in Arabian peninsula is against China infact all there defence deals made as seeing china there biggest enemy
India is Russia's only leverage against China, so that probably won't happen.

Pakistan is not joining because they simply don't have the economy and probably India will never allow any of the coffee club countries (UfC) in this. BRICS is an informal grouping, there are no laid-out rules and it runs annual summits and gives statements. I don't know what is all the fuss about BRICS.

If a country like Bangladesh can join BRICS, then so can Pakistan.

I agree with you, China should kick India out of BRICS. But I don't think Russia will allow it.

I think that if BRICS starts doing anything serious, that China will get Pakistan into it.

If it doesn't do anything serious, then there's no point stirring up trouble for nothing.

Last edited:
I hope the GoB conducts a detailed cost-benefit analysis before joining to BRICS. If joining to BRICS brings investments to Bangladesh then I am all for joining to the group.
The BAL govt pretends to be over smart. It’s main goal is to join BRICS to get hold of a few billion dollars of Chinese money and steal a part of it that it wants to accomplish by selling the Sovereignty of BD. The money BD borrows must be repaid with its high interest.

The private Chinese investment so far is just below $1 billion only. BRICS money is from Chinese govt with high interest rates.

Last edited:
If a country like Bangladesh can join BRICS, then so can Pakistan.
Bangladesh doesn’t need IMF bailout. So there’s that.

I think that if BRICS starts doing anything serious, that China will get Pakistan into it.

If it doesn't do anything serious, then there's no point stirring up trouble for nothing.
I’m wondering why China not getting Pakistan into G20 and FATF. May be these 2 aren’t doing anything serious either.

Bangladesh doesn’t need IMF bailout. So there’s that.

I’m wondering why China not getting Pakistan into G20 and FATF. May be these 2 aren’t doing anything serious either.
nothing. China also does not approve India to join P5.

The private Chinese investment so far is just below $1 billion only.
Are you sure! I am surprised. I thought Chinese entrepreneurs were making big investments in Bangladesh.

You know. UNSC is a serious occasion. It does not accept Indian narratives and Bollywood performances.

If you can. We also hope that India will actively withdraw from the BRICS, SCO, and G-20.

I know. It only accepts CCP version and that’s okay 👍.

I don’t think we will withdraw from any of these. We will continue to hold events in Kashmir and Arunachal , will give you enough opportunities to boycott. It’s fun you know.

I know. It only accepts CCP version and that’s okay 👍.

I don’t think we will withdraw from any of these. We will continue to hold events in Kashmir and Arunachal , will give you enough opportunities to boycott. It’s fun you know.
But as we know. India is still begging to join P5.

But the US rejects India.
Russia rejects India.
Britain rejects India.
France rejects India.
Finally, China rejects India.

Look. Just like I told you. The whole world still regards India as a second-rate country. We cannot understand why India always thinks it is better than Pakistan.

In fact. India and Pakistan are not too different. Even in terms of hunger and hygiene. India is even worse. Isn't it?

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom