What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

One airforce officer states that f-16 is still under consideration and that airforce officers are divided on choice of j-10 or f-16

Why would the US release even second hand F-16s to Bangladesh?

That doesn't make sense geopolitically.

Bangladesh is limited to Chinese and Russian options.

Although the Gripen would also be interesting. Unfortunately, it has a US based engine and would probably also require US approval, not to mention inavailability of AMRAAMS.

Still, a BAF with small amounts of Western gear would really be a game changer, if those capabilities were properly employed.

Why would the US release even second hand F-16s to Bangladesh?

That doesn't make sense geopolitically.

Bangladesh is limited to Chinese and Russian options.

Although the Gripen would also be interesting. Unfortunately, it has a US based engine and would probably also require US approval, not to mention inavailability of AMRAAMS.

Still, a BAF with small amounts of Western gear would really be a game changer, if those capabilities were properly employed.

And US wont mind a little cash on the side?

BD is not an enemy of US. It has sold to countries like Malaysia that are not exactly US allies.

As long as BD can put in a decent order for like 24 aircraft, then I cannot forsee any real reason for US to refuse.
What happened in the 1990s is a different time and place. I think the US was genuinely trying to save BD money for what it saw as little gain. Now BD's economy is far far larger and so can afford to pay for a decent amount of planes.

Personally I think BD would be stupid to go for F-16 when the J-10B that is almost as good, if not as good, is available at lower cost and no strings attached.

And US wont mind a little cash on the side?

BD is not an enemy of US. It has sold to countries like Malaysia that are not exactly US allies.

As long as BD can put in a decent order for like 24 aircraft, then I cannot forsee any real reason for US to refuse.
What happened in the 1990s is a different time and place. I think the US was genuinely trying to save BD money for what it saw as little gain. Now BD's economy is far far larger and so can afford to pay for a decent amount of planes.

Personally I think BD would be stupid to go for F-16 when the J-10B that is almost as good, if not as good, is available at lower cost and no strings attached.

I do not think BD can fork out cash for US birds. Chinese we would buy in easy terms and it's in Chinese interest to have a strong BD.

I do not it's worth wasting time with US.

Like I said countless times before, the real game is between the US and China. India, Pakistan, Russia, Iran, Middle East and Central Asia are all pawns/players. Bangladesh and Myanmar are as well but on a lesser level.

In that context, what does the US have to gain by granting access to American fighters to Bangladesh? Not sure. Cash ain't a thing because it's a pittance the amount would be.

China on the other hand may want a stronger Bangladesh for their own reasons. As well as a Bangladesh that at least isn't friendly to India, if not neutral. I am surprised the Chinese havnt influenced Bengali politics by helping the BNP.

In terms of the BAF, it would be great to have a small amount of very modern western systems in addition to Chinese systems to make up the majority of the fleet and armaments.

But no matter what is bought, the key will be training, effective tactics and strategy, as well as political willingness to use these forces.

Right now that is clearly lacking, at least the political aspect.

Like I said countless times before, the real game is between the US and China. India, Pakistan, Russia, Iran, Middle East and Central Asia are all pawns/players. Bangladesh and Myanmar are as well but on a lesser level.

In that context, what does the US have to gain by granting access to American fighters to Bangladesh? Not sure. Cash ain't a thing because it's a pittance the amount would be.

China on the other hand may want a stronger Bangladesh for their own reasons. As well as a Bangladesh that at least isn't friendly to India, if not neutral. I am surprised the Chinese havnt influenced Bengali politics by helping the BNP.

In terms of the BAF, it would be great to have a small amount of very modern western systems in addition to Chinese systems to make up the majority of the fleet and armaments.

But no matter what is bought, the key will be training, effective tactics and strategy, as well as political willingness to use these forces.

Right now that is clearly lacking, at least the political aspect.
You are still counting F-16 as per F-35.
USA for sure will not sell F-22 to anyone. BD can't lay hand on F-35 neither USA will sell them. But 60's F-16 they will sell to anybody with decent track record and cash.

You are still counting F-16 as per F-35.
USA for sure will not sell F-22 to anyone. BD can't lay hand on F-35 neither USA will sell them. But 60's F-16 they will sell to anybody with decent track record and cash.

Nope. Unless there is some dramatic geopolitical shift, I can't see the US ever releasing the F-16, as old as it is, to Bangladesh.

The only caveat is that Trump is president and that he may be in favor is such a move for profits purposes. It would still have to get through congress and you can be sure the India lobby wouldn't allow that.

Also, I doubt Bangladesh can afford a sizable number of new build F-16s, and a smaller amount wouldn't be enough of an enticement to get Trump excited.

I would ask this if Burma didn't get one. J-10, 31 is my desire
Pakistani shouldn't have listed to the CIA agents.... they guessed this beforehand and thats why suggested fighter sales to Myanmar; so that animosity with Bangladesh increases and Bangladesh goes further from JF-17.... its quite obvious that American strategic partner India is the biggest beneficiary of this malicious deal...

Pakistani shouldn't have listed to the CIA agents.... they guessed this beforehand and thats why suggested fighter sales to Myanmar; so that animosity with Bangladesh increases and Bangladesh goes further from JF-17.... its quite obvious that American strategic partner India is the biggest beneficiary of this malicious deal...
Ofc. Then they offer India to build f-16 with a new potential market near home... Bangladesh. Which makes America and India more profit.

Guys I'm no fighter or air force expert, but what I do know that every air force needs a high cost/ low cost air superiority fighter mix. In Pakistan's case, it is F16 BLOCK 70/ JF 17. In India's case it is SU30 MKI/ RAFALE.

WHAT will be the mix for Bangladesh?

China is simply biding time - they have the luxury. Economically and technologically they are AT LEAST three decades ahead of Bharat.

Guys I'm no fighter or air force expert, but what I do know that every air force needs a high cost/ low cost air superiority fighter mix. In Pakistan's case, it is F16 BLOCK 70/ JF 17. In India's case it is SU30 MKI/ RAFALE.

WHAT will be the mix for Bangladesh?

China is simply biding time - they have the luxury. Economically and technologically they are AT LEAST three decades ahead of Bharat.
i think SU 30 & J10B otherwise BD has no choice. BD should not go for Mig 35. other one choice is SU 35, at this moment BD will not buy. no possibility of western aircraft.

i think SU 30 & J10B otherwise BD has no choice. BD should not go for Mig 35. other one choice is SU 35, at this moment BD will not buy. no possibility of western aircraft.

By the time we decide J10C may be available like someone mentioned.

But I doubt the PLA air force will be that eager to export its best technology to a country (and possibly even air force) infiltrated by Indians.

At this point, to me it's almost pointless this debate on which fighters Bangladesh is going to buy.

What good is it with an Indian stooge as PM?

First step is to take back the country.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom