What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

May be it’s time to abolish the AFD and three new separate departments for tri services. Department of Army, Department of Navy & Department of Air Force will directly operate under ministry of defence. Also Bangladesh should introduce Joint Chief's office. It will greatly improve interservice co-operability and reduce inter service rivalry.
it will just be another institution dominated by the Army just like all south asian militaries. the fact that this discussion was conducted speaks volumes. if it is to be done, it should be for fixed terms and circulating between the three armed forces chiefs.

LOL you are on the spot.I don't know about India but in Pakistan, chief of Joint staff has always been an army guy.
rawat once said IAF is the supporting arm of IA. its true India as it is for Pakistan, BD and many other countries.
the air force should be the tip of the spear in any modern conflict not a ''support force''
No politician has the guts to say no to the army.

LOL you are on the spot.I don't know about India but in Pakistan, chief of Joint staff has always been an army guy.
first of all its Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee.
all 3 services are members of this committee .
ACM feroz khan was CJCSC from airforce .
ADMIRAL iftakhar ahmed was CJCSC from navy
ADMIRAL mohmmad sharif was CJCSC from navy

C-130J MRO plants approved

maybe we should get the entire RAF C-130J fleet, if the price is right...

I don't think BAF understand the concept of an Air Force.

Air ই তো বেশি নাই। ছোট জায়গা। Force দিয়া কি করবে?

সুপারসোনিক প্লেন এ দুই মিনিটে পার হয়ে যাওয়া যায়।

What we need more is sophisticated and accurate Ground-to-Air missiles (stinger and larger types), land-based CWIS rotary cannon (C-RAM equivalents) with proximity fuse rounds as well as the ToT to make them locally to be self-sufficient in these technologies. We can make the leap now and bypass intermediate steps. These are defensive technologies, should have an easier time getting ToT. The Missile stuff is in flight with China already.

OTOH, we also need maritime strike fighters to launch Exocet type air-to-surface missiles to hit ships to break blockages.

Last edited:
I thought that was the domain of the Army....same story in all militaries....
It would be one thing if BAF was dominating South Asia with 4++ gen fighter jets and Network Centric Warfare and then overreached to bully the army and get attack helicopters. I cannot fathom how BAF leadership manages to get any shut eye given the state of BAF vis-a-vis the neighbourhood.

It would be one thing if BAF was dominating South Asia with 4++ gen fighter jets and Network Centric Warfare and then overreached to bully the army and get attack helicopters. I cannot fathom how BAF leadership manages to get any shut eye given the state of BAF vis-a-vis the neighbourhood.

True, BAF have been talking of getting a 4.5th Gen fighter for 10 years now, in my opinion though I think that would be a mistake. To defend Bangladeshi skies from an intruder (from Myanamar or India) the flight times are so short and air space so small it may make a quick reaction alert unfeasable, the fighters may not get up in time, also India and others can easily strike BAF airfields from the safety of their own air space as Bangladesh is a relatively small country. What could a Typhoon/Gripen/Rafale realistically achieve? Unless you hade 4-6 on constant CAP during crisis which would be expensive and require a force of at least 36 planes.

I think a better solution would be to create a formidable air defence network which would make any attack very expensive for the aggressor, this could include anti cruise/ballistic missile defences. Concentrate just 5 high powered 3D radars (1 for each corner of the country and 1 for the coast) combine with either HQ-9, S-400 or THAAD, then during crisis you will have coverage over much of India and Myanamar, simply blow everything that moves out of the sky if anyone tries anything.

All the above can be supported with low/medium level SAMs such as HQ-16/Pantsir/Iron Dome for local defence of vital assets.

All the above will be cheaper and more effective then a few planes you can get in the air in time and also give any attacker a very big headache.

Back
Top Bottom