What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

BGI is a stopgap measure in the sense that BAF wants to decommission its fleet of older A-5 and F-7MB. BGI itself however is a much improved version comparing to BG. I of the BGI stands for improved.

I don't understand why they want to retire F-7MB, it's not old yet. If they wish to upgrade the fleet with new generation, that's different. I don't think BD will be able to upgrade its whole fleet to a new gen. At least these can be transferred to army and navy as all these still have lifetime.

so essentially both BG and BGI are stop gap measures, strange.

The BG series was bought even before BAF considered to buy new generation jets(bought in 2006 way before any rumour of us buying FC-1 or J-10).They are not stop-gap measures however the BGI are

"I don't understand why they want to retire F-7MB, it's not old yet. If they wish to upgrade the fleet with new generation, that's different. I don't think BD will be able to upgrade its whole fleet to a new gen. At least these can be transferred to army and navy as all these still have lifetime."

We don't have any need for a naval fleet as of now. Martime helicopters can cover more ground and won't be as expensive.

We don't have any need for a naval fleet as of now. Mairtime helicopters can cover more ground and won't be as expensive.

I wonder if you are an expert of defense. How did you deduce your conclusion that BN needs no naval fleet. Contrary to what you proposed BN is acquiring all types of essential boats and is building some more inside the country so that it becomes quite a defensive fleet capable to bite the enemy.

:cheesy:Ask it from my friend BDforever sheikh hasina dope shop. But he is a good chap.

It would be a disastrous decision to fall for Mig-29 once again, but I think BAF would pick Flankers by next decade since there is no immediate Threat nor can a squadron of Flankers do a zilch about IAF, 2020+ is when BAF could go for a new platform, If someone doesn't believe me that is fine with me we can always disagree.

about bold part: clear it more.
Rest: check my previous posts, i said many times that BD will have 16 su30MKB by 2017, is not it su30 flanker ? Do you know how much BD is spending in defence modernization program ? BD has plan to have 16 su30, 40 Mig35 and 8 existing Mig29 to SMT standard by 2025.

I wonder if you are an expert of defense. How did you deduce your conclusion that BN needs no naval fleet. Contrary to what you proposed BN is acquiring all types of essential boats and is building some more inside the country so that it becomes quite a defensive fleet capable to bite the enemy.

Sorry again,my bad wording. I meant as in a naval air force like Naval figthers and aircraft carriers not as in ships.

Using retired and outdated F-7MB will be expenisve and not helpful for any sceanario. Also a naval air force requires mutiple landing and take off platform ships away from land air bases which out current need(Since we are only expanding our Maritame force).

:cheesy:Ask it from my friend BDforever sheikh hasina dope shop. But he is a good chap.

It would be a disastrous decision to fall for Mig-29 once again, but I think BAF would pick Flankers by next decade since there is no immediate Threat nor can a squadron of Flankers do a zilch about IAF, 2020+ is when BAF could go for a new platform, If someone doesn't believe me that is fine with me we can always disagree.

Very strange considering the coffers are almost empty.

I don't want to flow with the rumor, coz, there is another rumor that BAF may go for 80 Su-30MK eventually. This procurement is going to happen in 3 phases. 24 AC on phase 1, 32 on phase 2 and 24 more on phase 3 on a 15 year development pattern.

But I think this is just a rumor nothing serious. The more logical pattern may be and also the AF might go for: 32 Su-30MK (2 squadrons) + 16 Mig-29SMT (1 Squadron) + 32 F-7BG/BGI (2 Squadrons)..

Sorry again,my bad wording. I meant as in a naval air force like Naval figthers and aircraft carriers not as in ships.

Using retired and outdated F-7MB will be expenisve and not helpful for any sceanario. Also a naval air force requires multiple landing and take off platform ships away from land air bases which out current need(Since we are only expanding our Maritame force).

Bold part; BN may not think the way you think. BN has to protect only a few thousand sq. km of sea, and our long shore line (S-E and E-W) has made it easy for the BAF to protect the sea.

England needs AC Carriers or remote island air bases to protect its worldwide interest. BN may not need them. However, a few aircrafts operated by the BN will certainly help the defense.

Try understand the general Public of Bangladesh first. New procurements are side news in newspapers, they don't make big headlines. Why?Thats because majority of Bangladesh don't give a damn about military equipment.I could go to Bazaar and ask if anyone knows what weapons do our Migs use.Probably all of them,with the exception of maybe 1 or 2 people,won't even know what a Mig is!!. At the same time i could walk into a middle school in the UK and 12 years olds would know what a harrier is. Why would news agencies spend money and waste resources for procurement news when the general public don't care.

And if you ask those Bangladeshi guy how much money should we spend in Military he would probably say, why do we even need a military force, why are we wasting our money in military?

Bdforever has a point,you could not find a BD news article on us buying a south korean corvette but AMI international do just because the BD armed forces don't bother yelling out procurement news unless asked or told to.

However, please do not fall for rumors.. You will find rumors are spreading about this and that but if you physically check them you will not find them there. Most of the rumors are brain-fart of some fan-boy. The part that you will find true did also spread as rumors but it was in fact an evaluation version that may also be a part of a bigger procurement deal.

Bold part; BN may not think the way you think. BN has to protect only a few thousand sq. km of sea, and our long shore line (S-E and E-W) has made it easy for the BAF to protect the sea.

England needs AC Carriers or remote island air bases to protect its worldwide interest. BN may not need them. However, a few aircrafts operated by the BN will certainly help the defense.

Yes,then why allocate Obsolete Interceptors to act as maritame patrol craft?Not only will it waste resources looking after them,we could use those extra resources for newer figthers or a lot more Maritame craft like more RUAGs or actual attack helicopters or CAS aircraft for the Army or possibly the money can be spent on R&D projects. I fully understand what you are talking about that BD and the UK are different but there is no point in having two or three air services of each faction of the military patrolling the bay of bengal since the BAF is fine and capable to do so,However using the F-7s for the navy or army is a bad move and considereing BD's efforts to modernise the armed forces,it will be a step backwards. BAF can easily handle the bay of bengal skies and cooperate with the BN, which will increase cooperation between the two.

Also i am not against the army or Navy from having aircraft but i would prefer them not to be F-7s which we are trying to get rid of, the money could be put to better use and i pray after the f-7bgis' no other f-7 will ever be bought.

Also i am not against the army or Navy from having aircraft but i would prefer them not to be F-7s which we are trying to get rid of, the money could be put to better use and i pray after the f-7bgis' no other f-7 will ever be bought.

I do not think, BAF has already decided to discard its F-7MBs.

I know that,its how the debate started with someone suggesting that the F-7 should be turned over to the navy

I would like to see F-7BGI upgraded with IFR and handed over to Navy [operated by dedicated BAF pilots] later when ever Flankers [most likely but it could end into Fulcrum] arrive.

I would like to see F-7BGI upgraded with IFR and handed over to Navy [operated by dedicated BAF pilots] later when ever Flankers [most likely but it could end into Fulcrum] arrive.

BN does not have the infrastructure, resources and will to operate a fighter wing. So, whatever you are talking about F-7 for BN should stop right here.

BN does not have the infrastructure, resources and will to operate a fighter wing. So, whatever you are talking about F-7 for BN should stop right here.

It doesn't take much money Aircrafts and Pilots are already available. Or you are going to waste it less then a decade? only an efficient Air Force can survive and an efficient innovative Air Force can make good use of their available resources. If you are making noise about no resources and infrastructure then why is BAF even looking into YAK 130/131 and why is BAF prep to get any new platform in the next few years.

Back
Top Bottom