What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

Delta plan 2100, do note that this will be an ongoing project even post 2100 to adapt to the changing climate... so ultimate survival of Bangladesh depends on how much we are able to adapt

Report said she got arrested with a black dude in an apartment with contrabands (don’t know what kind) her mother had to sign off something with the police to bail her

In line with BKZ's track record, they probably wanted to sell their daughter off for "sitting idle and costing money".

i was waiting for new fighter since 2002

MiG-29s to be jettisoned

Tk 100 cr maintenance cost a year too high to afford, says Khaleda

M Anwarul Haq

Prime Minister Khaleda Zia has said that her government intends to dispose of eight MiG-29 fighters procured two years back from Russia by the Awami League government.

picture4.jpg
"The planes are sitting idle. The state is losing money just to keep them," Khaleda told a group of journalists in the capital yesterday, according to an Associated Press (AP) dispatch. "Bangladesh wants to sell eight Russian-made MiG-29 fighter planes because it cannot afford one billion dollars a year for spare parts and maintenance."

The prime minister was speaking to members of the Commonwealth Journalists Association (CJA) at her office. Hasan Shahriar, Farid Hossain and M Mukhlesur Rahman, president, secretary-general and organising secretary respectively of the CJA, were present.

Shamsuddin Ahmed, executive member of the Bangladesh chapter, was also there.

The eight MiG-29 Fulcrum jet fighters were purchased in a $124 million state-to-state deal between Dhaka and Moscow. Each aircraft was priced $11 million and the remaining $36 million was allocated for training and spare parts. Some ten pilots and 70 technicians underwent training in Russia as part of the deal to familiarise themselves with the aircraft.

The government of Khaleda Zia has levelled allegations of irregularities against her immediate predecessor Sheikh Hasina in procurement of the fourth-generation multi-role jet fighters.

Hasina, the leader of the opposition in parliament, has dismissed the charges and said that the fighter planes were purchased at competitive prices for 'defence of the country'.

The Bureau of Anti-corruption (BAC) has lodged a case with the Tejgaon police station, implicating Hasina and some high officials of her government for alleged irregularities in procurement of the MIG-29s.

In a volume of the recently published White Paper, the government of Hasina is also accused of willful wrongdoing in purchase of the military equipment from Russia. The prime minister told the newsmen that most of the MiGs had been grounded and become a burden to the exchequer.

If sold out now, the aircraft will fetch a good price, the prime minister is learnt to said. Otherwise, she added, the country will require at least 100 crore taka every year for their maintenance.

"It is therefore better to sell them and spare the exchequer from such a heavy, recurring burden," she concluded.

Besides the half squadron MiGs, the Bangladesh Air Force (BAF) is learnt to have a fully trained outfit to fly five squadrons, each having a standard of 16 jets. It has three squadrons of fighter jets. The fleet comprises Chinese A-5 ground attack aircraft, F-7 MB attack and defence role fighters and Czech manufactured L-39 jets. It has also some obsolete MIG-21 aircraft procured years back. It also possess two dozen helicopters, US made Bell and Russian MI-17.

The Chinese government is learnt to have offered to sell at least one dozen F-7 MB fighters which have proved to be less expensive and suitable for Bangladesh during the last government's tenure on deferred payment basis, but the deal was not accepted.

It was learnt that in an evaluation memo by one of the country's top security agencies it was told that the purchase of eight MiG-29 aircraft will not increase the combat capacity of the BAF, rather it might reduce it. "Maintenance requirement of the MiG-29s will exhaust the budget provision.

Other fighter aircraft may lose their effectiveness for lack of maintenance," it said. Ahead of the MiG purchase in February 1999, a military technical co-operation agreement was signed with the Russian Federation in Dhaka. Some analysts said it was not clear why such a comprehensive agreement was required to purchase eight MiG-29s.

While the US was unable to offer Bangladesh a comparable fighter jet at a competitive price, it attempted to prevent the government from buying Russian aifcraft, according to defence sources..

Top of the page

http://sdnbd.org/sdi/news/general-news/July/17-07-2002/Business.htm

What is the cost of maintenance of used F-16s C/D with MUL-4 ?

Delta plan 2100, do note that this will be an ongoing project even post 2100 to adapt to the changing climate... so ultimate survival of Bangladesh depends on how much we are able to adapt

Report said she got arrested with a black dude in an apartment with contrabands (don’t know what kind) her mother had to sign off something with the police to bail her

What's the daughters name?

We have Indian RSS Muslim haters on one side, who dream all 160 million Bangladeshi are born and then crying until they can jump the border and stay India because it's a superpower. On otherside we have anti Muslim genocidal regime in Burma which wants to send all dark skinned Muslim rohingya into our country.

Bangladesh is only Muslim country with no borders with another Muslim country, we are truly alone.
Bangladesh's economy will crumble if it wants to compete with India militarily. India is the 4th largest military and a regional power.

India's air force is huge. Their sole inventory of SU-30 is far greater than the total number of equipments of BAF. Indian Navy is the second or third nation to run nuclear powered submarine.

Also don't forget India has ICBM's and IRBMs.

Bangladesh army cannot match upto Indian standard, not in the next 50 years.

Bangladesh's economy will crumble if it wants to compete with India militarily. India is the 4th largest military and a regional power.

India's air force is huge. Their sole inventory of SU-30 is far greater than the total number of equipments of BAF. Indian Navy is the second or third nation to run nuclear powered submarine.

Never said we can.

Never said we can.
But yes if you talk about Burma then BAF should buy new jets which will be enough for them. Currently Burmese threat is greater. They already shoved millions of Rohingya into Bangladesh. Without military might, not a single Rohingya will return.

It wont be a problem if we have a proper defence industry.

What are you smoking? With a proper defence industry it will still take 50 years for BD to come close to India. Either you don't have any idea about Indian army or you are one of those BAL ultra nationalists.

Bangladesh is behind Brazil, Iran, Thailand and many other nations when it comes to defence capabilities. And you are talking about India which is the 4th largest military power in the world.

Either you don't have any idea about Indian army or you are one of those BAL ultra nationalists.
Says the guy who is cheering for burma. How is my comment pro BAL? i am maybe be ultra nationalist but at least i am not anti-bangladeshi like you.

What are you smoking? With a proper defence industry it will still take 50 years for BD to come close to India.

Bangladesh is behind Brazil, Iran, Thailand and many other nations when it comes to defence capabilities. And you are talking about India which is the 4th largest military power in the world.
With proper defence industry
1) we dont have to rely on foreign supplier like india.
2) Built SRBM/MRBM to hit delhi and mumbai
3) Supply arms to indians/burmese rebel group

There are two things that india is ahead of us.
1) Huge Numbers of troops and equipment
2) Nukes

Says the guy who is cheering for burma. How is my comment pro BAL? i am maybe be ultra nationalist but at least i am not anti-bangladeshi like you.
If you take things out of context then I can't help. Anyways the main point is that in order for Bangladesh to come close to India means you need to cross Iran, Brazil, DPRK, Taiwan etc in terms of military power.

If you take things out of context then I can't help. Anyways the main point is that in order for Bangladesh to come close to India means you need to cross Iran, Brazil, DPRK, Taiwan etc in terms of military power.
How is these countries related to bangladesh military development? India and Burma is our threat so we should be arming ourself to face that threat. You cant compare the threat that iran, taiwan and DPRK is facing to us as they have different enemy and tactics to face them. Iran is using proxy to gain influence, DPRK wants to nuke usa. So what is your suggestion on facing india? wait 50 years to have 1 million soldier and fighter aircaft and then fight them.

How is these countries related to bangladesh military development? India and Burma is our threat so we should be arming ourself to face that threat. You cant compare the threat that iran, taiwan and DPRK is facing to us as they have different enemy and tactics to face them. Iran is using proxy to gain influence, DPRK wants to nuke usa. So what is your suggestion on facing india? wait 50 years to have 1 million soldier and fighter aircaft and then fight them.
Did I say anything about strategies? Please show me. I was referring to military strength here. It is true that Bangladesh have to cross Iran, DPRK, Taiwan in military strength as India is far more powerful than these countries.

With proper defence industry
1) we dont have to rely on foreign supplier like india.
2) Built SRBM/MRBM to hit delhi and mumbai
3) Supply arms to indians/burmese rebel group

There are two things that india is ahead of us.
1) Huge Numbers of troops and equipment
2) Nukes
Lol you are a noob when it comes to military knowledge. What will SRBM and MRBM do against India?

India has ICBM and IRBMs. You are still not literate enough man.

Also I have never said that Bangladesh can never become as powerful as India or any other country. What I said that given the current quality of defence industry we have and the defence gap between India and Bangladesh, it will take more decades for Bangladesh to come close to Bangladesh.

The problem is you don't read things properly and try to over react like many Bolod marka, extremely sentimental Bengalis.

Did I say anything about strategies? Please show me. I was referring to military strength here. It is true that Bangladesh have to cross Iran, DPRK, Taiwan in military strength as India is far more powerful than these countries.
If strength matters then israel should have been wiped out of the map by far powerful egypt and syria.

Lol you are a noob when it comes to military knowledge. What will SRBM and MRBM do against India?

India has ICBM and IRBMs. You are still not literate enough man.
What will SRBM and MRBM will do to india? no wonder your kind is shit at fighting.

Also I have never said that Bangladesh can never become as powerful as India or any other country. What I said that given the current quality of defence industry we have and the defence gap between India and Bangladesh, it will take more decades for Bangladesh to come close to Bangladesh.

The problem is you don't read things properly and try to over react like many Bolod marka, extremely sentimental Bengalis.
How did over react? i said that building up a proper defence industry will help us to against india. I never accuse you of saying bangladesh can never be powerful as india.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom