What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

If I'm concerned about Bangladeshi sovereignty perhaps we should discuss the elephant in the room that is India.

But I won't derail this post by going there.

Also, Turkey is not as strong as you think. (Although, I wish them well)

The strongest kid in school is still the US.

China may be getting stronger but in 2019, its still no contest.

More importantly in regards to BD, China WILL NOT support BD when it comes to Myanmar.

Any words that may suggest them being a neutral arbiter are lip service at best.

They have their own interests in mind.

And similarly, BD needs to look after hers.

And it can't do that by going it alone.

Look at Iran. Its completely isolated now because it didnt manage its geopolitics properly.

It has NO friends (neither Russia nor China) because the mullahs thought they can go it alone.

It is COMPLETELY VULNERABLE.

If the US chooses, it can DESTROY Iran tommorow.

So take a lesson from that and kiss the ring.
You are right.. even USA cant do everything alone. They always look for allies in every corner of the globe.
If our people are too incompetent then they should work with India and try to act as force multiplier and get involved in big game.

If I'm concerned about Bangladeshi sovereignty perhaps we should discuss the elephant in the room that is India.

But I won't derail this post by going there.

Also, Turkey is not as strong as you think. (Although, I wish them well)

The strongest kid in school is still the US.

China may be getting stronger but in 2019, its still no contest.

More importantly in regards to BD, China WILL NOT support BD when it comes to Myanmar.

Any words that may suggest them being a neutral arbiter are lip service at best.

They have their own interests in mind.

And similarly, BD needs to look after hers.

And it can't do that by going it alone.

Look at Iran. Its completely isolated now because it didnt manage its geopolitics properly.

It has NO friends (neither Russia nor China) because the mullahs thought they can go it alone.

It is COMPLETELY VULNERABLE.

If the US chooses, it can DESTROY Iran tommorow.

So take a lesson from that and kiss the ring.

I am thinking of BD balancing between the USA and China.
It has good ties with both but no subservient relationship with either.
BD buys both Western and Chinese arms, plus Turkish as they are available. It also produces as much in-house like it does with ToT from China currently and Turkey in the future.

This is not the same as Iran who actively works against US interests and so is isolated.

Remember the world of 2050 will be a lot different to the world of today. BD is large enough population wise to not have to choose one camp over another.

https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/05/article/to-pacify-trump-indonesia-seeks-american-arms/

As I said, the US is open for business if Bangladesh wants.

The way I see this potentially going, is the US may want to disrupt Chinese interests in Arakan as @Bilal9 has stated before.

Not directly of course, but to irritate China using Bangladesh as their proxy to limit Chinese access to BoB.

Bangladesh can fit in with countries like Vietnam and India to hedge against China.

And the sale of American weapons would facilitate this.

As BAF is publicly shopping for new fighters, the F-16 makes all the sense in the world at this point.

Especially in light of CAATSA and Bangaldesh's new found financial improvements.

I think its up to Bangaldesh at this point to decide.

The arguement about "giving up soverignty" is a false one.

The alternative is to be diplomatically isolated and vulnerable with NO BACKING the next time Myanmar acts up.

Of course there are points to be made against the above as in the video below which are definitely reasonable, although I disagree with several of the points.

Last edited:
BD needs to take a position going with F16 at this point is not a bad option. Even with issues with US issues i would say just dive in.

Alternatively just go with the eurofighter. Thats mainly British. We will have more leverage there. BD has 3 mps in the uk parliament and the backing of its diaspora.

BD needs to take a position going with F16 at this point is not a bad option. Even with issues with US issues i would say just dive in.

Alternatively just go with the eurofighter. Thats mainly British. We will have more leverage there. BD has 3 mps in the uk parliament and the backing of its diaspora.

Definitely would not want to go with the USA and just buy less of the more expensive Typhoons.

Last edited:
I joined this forum 8 years ago, almost everything about the navy procurement has come true.

Except the 5th gen aircrafts, all other types such as rafael, gripen, sukhois, migs, chengdus, Jf17, has been discussed and argued over regarding their specs, geopolitical consequences, economical effect, reliability, TOT etc.

But every news about the fighters for the air force has been just hot air so far. I am beginning to suspect that the J7s werent stop gap as intended, but rather the fighter purchase for the decade.

I joined this forum 8 years ago, almost everything about the navy procurement has come true.

Except the 5th gen aircrafts, all other types such as rafael, gripen, sukhois, migs, chengdus, Jf17, has been discussed and argued over regarding their specs, geopolitical consequences, economical effect, reliability, TOT etc.

But every news about the fighters for the air force has been just hot air so far. I am beginning to suspect that the J7s werent stop gap as intended, but rather the fighter purchase for the decade.

Entirely feasible. BAF is not fit for purpose and should be broken up and subsumed as BA logistics force.

We should divert our resources to building up a missile force.

After that we should implement a BAF that is fit for purpose. Sack the current management and deadweight and put the resources to better use.

You guys have any idea when the defense minister is going to release the next wave of information? Maybe in June?

You guys have any idea when the defense minister is going to release the next wave of information? Maybe in June?

PM and others barely talk about any defense procurement. They might only talk if any MP ask them anything in parliament or they might announce any big procurement in military parade or commissioning ceremony. Except those you have to rely on DGDP, ISPR and local news sources.

Defense procurement is a secret and it should be. Personally if it was up to me they should be announced with maximum opacity only once the assets have been delivered.

Back
Top Bottom