What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

Did you notice the rivet holes in them? Murir tin has better craftsmanship than this. I guess the aircraft body is made of aluminium. No wonder its 7 million a piece.

Bhai murir tin er byaparta riveting quality er opor nirbhar korey. Prototype guli oto bhalobhabey banano hoina.

The better the riveting (the more flush) the better it looks,which ideally needs to be countersunk.

How flush, depends on the riveter expert as well as the riveting tool itself, both of which maybe suspect here. But that can be corrected using QC and has nothing to do with the price. See below.

If you are buying a product from China - you specify the quality, they will conform. Or quality is better controlled if we make with ToT locally.

The point is, we should have bought this in addition to the Yak 130's, and would have asked for ToT as well, which China would have easily agreed to. Every nation has to start somewhere.

Bhai murir tin er byaparta riveting quality er opor nirbhar korey. Prototype guli oto bhalobhabey banano hoina.

The better the riveting (the more flush) the better it looks,which ideally needs to be countersunk.

How flush, depends on the riveter expert as well as the riveting tool itself, both of which maybe suspect here. But that can be corrected using QC and has nothing to do with the price. See below.

If you are buying a product from China - you specify the quality, they will conform. Or quality is better controlled if we make with ToT locally.

The point is, we should have bought this in addition to the Yak 130's, and would have asked for ToT as well, which China would have easily agreed to. Every nation has to start somewhere.
do we have the adequate local demand (for aircraft) so that whatever we save from building them locally outweigh the cost of setting up the plant?

Tig welding or adhesive bonding is used for those aircrafts with flush appearance. Earlier mig 29s had both riveting and welding... you could typically notice the rivers near the end of the plane because the drags caused on those surface is negligible but welds were used exactly to mitigate that near the frontal structures

do we have the adequate local demand (for aircraft) so that whatever we save from building them locally outweigh the cost of setting up the plant?
A minimum of 10 more squadron is required as per the forces goal... Bangladesh squadrons typically have 16 planes in a squadron so 160 aircraft at least needed... now the question is will they try to purchase two platforms like we have been hearing... if they do... getting tot will be unlikely, if a single platform is chosen then most likely yes.

Tig welding or adhesive bonding is used for those aircrafts with flush appearance. Earlier mig 29s had both riveting and welding... you could typically notice the rivers near the end of the plane because the drags caused on those surface is negligible but welds were used exactly to mitigate that near the frontal structures

A minimum of 10 more squadron is required as per the forces goal... Bangladesh squadrons typically have 16 planes in a squadron so 160 aircraft at least needed... now the question is will they try to purchase two platforms like we have been hearing... if they do... getting tot will be unlikely, if a single platform is chosen then most likely yes.

More than that - the over-riding reason to get ToT is that we need to advance the game of being self-sufficient in producing armament and defense platforms. Just producing/assembling a few missiles and trucks and welding together turrets for old tanks is not going to be sufficient even for the next five years, the way local expectation in the armed services is developing.

Better plan for it now- before the leaders are caught with their pants down....

Bangabandhu Aeronautical center is already doing complete overhaul for Mi-171 Helis/powerplants and may go to production of some of the more common consumables/spares soon. Same with the BTR-80's and BTR-80A at the Ordnance Factory where they overhaul/refurbish them locally (we have maybe even 800 plus of these things by now and we maybe the world's largest user thanks to UN operations).

https://www.defmin.fi/en/administrative_branch/strategic_capability_projects/hx_fighter_program

Crickets in this thread....

Off topic link to Finland's fighter program.

Perhaps Bangladesh can learn a thing or two.

Great find and Good call brother!

We should follow their progress....being in Europe (and I believe being a part of NATO) they may have advantages however....

These were the main points I believe (I believe the third point is very important for us), in typical robust (simple) Scandinavian fashion they broke down the main points. :-)

Comparison and selection of fighters – what criteria will be used to make the selection?

The selection of fighters will be a significant decision in terms of security policy, defence policy and national economy. Many factors affect this decision. The following have been specified as areas of key importance for making the decision:

• Capabilities: The system's capability to win fights during its service life.
  • Costs: Can we afford to purchase, use and develop the system throughout is life cycle?
  • Security of supply and the domestic industry’s role: The usability of the system in times of peace and war.
  • Security and defence policy impacts: Potential impacts of the selection on Finland’s security and defence cooperation.
While the most crucial area for making the decision on the fighter selection is capabilities, all other areas are also important. The comparison of fighters will be carried out by the best experts in Finland. The defence administration will then make a proposal on the type and number of fighters to be procured. The final decision will be made by the Government in 2021. The funding for the project will be approved by Parliament.

We should follow their progress....being in Europe (and I believe being a part of NATO) they may have advantages however....

These were the main points I believe (I believe the third point is very important for us), in typical robust (simple) Scandinavian fashion they broke down the main points. :-)

Comparison and selection of fighters – what criteria will be used to make the selection?

The selection of fighters will be a significant decision in terms of security policy, defence policy and national economy. Many factors affect this decision. The following have been specified as areas of key importance for making the decision:

• Costs: Can we afford to purchase, use and develop the system throughout is life cycle?
  • Security of supply and the domestic industry’s role: The usability of the system in times of peace and war.
  • Security and defence policy impacts: Potential impacts of the selection on Finland’s security and defence cooperation.
While the most crucial area for making the decision on the fighter selection is capabilities, all other areas are also important. The comparison of fighters will be carried out by the best experts in Finland. The defence administration will then make a proposal on the type and number of fighters to be procured. The final decision will be made by the Government in 2021. The funding for the project will be approved by Parliament.

Not a member of NATO.

In fact, previous to the end of the Cold War, had to balance NATO and Warsaw Pact with both Mig-21 and Draken in service.

The fact, that when they didn't have to do that anymore, they chose the Hornet and now in a subsequent fighter competition includes only Western options should tell us something.

In anycase, love the transparency and rational nature of the website.

Brother ,what is the best aircraft for BAF in your opinion ? @UKBengali said that Gripen , @TopCat think that Eurofighter typhoon , some other poster want Rafale , I said that it's f-16 , although I have very little idea about military equipment , but suggested f-16 only because it is best selling . @The Ronin wants Russian stuffs , so actually what do we really need?

I am actually screwed up between those various decisions (নানা মুনির নানা মতের ভিতর ) although no one wrote a proper explanation , can you please give me relief with some explanation that what aircraft is better for us and why ? I want comparison between western stuffs only . Thanks in advance !
@Bilal9

Last edited:
Brother ,what is the best aircraft for BAF in your opinion ? @UKBengali said that Gripen , @TopCat think that Eurofighter typhoon , some other poster want Rafale , I said that it's f-16 , although I have very little idea about military equipment , but suggested f-16 only because it is best selling . @The Ronin wants Russian stuffs , so actually what do we really need?

I am exactly screwed up between those various decisions (নানা মুনির নানা মতের ভিতর ) although no one wrote a proper explanation , can you please give me relief with some explanation that what aircraft is better for us and why ? I want comparison between western stuffs only . Thanks in advance !
@Bilal9
4 sqdn of J-10 backed by 1 sqdn Typhoon along with older F-7 will create a great air force.

4 sqdn of J-10 backed by 1 sqdn Typhoon along with older F-7 will create a great air force.

You aware that BD would need to pay around 4 billion USA dollars just for 1 squadron(16) of Typhoons?
16 Gripens would come in at 2.5 billion US dollars.

Compare the running costs below per hour(data from 2012):

https://www.stratpost.com/gripen-operational-cost-lowest-of-all-western-fighters-janes/

1. Gripen - 4,700 US dollars
2. Typhoon - 18,000 US dollars

BAF would be spending all it's money just to maintain the 16 Typhoons. Typhoon is a rich man's plane and the only Western fighter that BD can afford is Gripen.

Last edited:
You aware that BD would need to pay around 4 billion USA dollars just for 1 squadron(16) of Typhoons?
16 Gripens would come in at 2.5 billion US dollars

Compare the running costs below per hour(data from 2012):

https://www.stratpost.com/gripen-operational-cost-lowest-of-all-western-fighters-janes/

1. Gripen - 4,700 US dollars
2. Typhoon - 18,000 US dollars

BAF would be spending all it's money just to maintain the 16 Typhoons. Typhoon is a rich man's plane and the only Western fighter that BD can afford is Gripen.
There are a lot of inflated price along with pilot salary(most likely)... If India can afford 100s of Rafael, I am sure we can afford 1 sqdn too. There are no reason Typhoon require 18000 dollar whereas Gripen requires only 4700 dollar. Can you tell me where those extra money going to be spent on? Fuel.. oxyzen?? There should be pretty much same maintenance with 2 engine instead of one.

There are a lot of inflated price along with pilot salary(most likely)... If India can afford 100s of Rafael, I am sure we can afford 1 sqdn too. There are no reason Typhoon require 18000 dollar whereas Gripen requires only 4700 dollar. Can you tell me where those extra money going to be spent on? Fuel.. oxyzen?? There should be pretty much same maintenance with 2 engine instead of one.

I am not saying that the difference is as large as the data suggests but Typhoon would sure cost much more to run.

Two engines would require a lot more maintenance than one and the larger Typhoon would burn a lot more fuel than Gripen.

Whichever way you look at it, BD would pay a lot more(around 50%) to buy the Typhoon upfront and also pay a lot more to operate them as well.

Yes, Typhoon is a better fighter overall and means that the USA has no say but it is just too expensive for BAF. It would be a case of BD spending all it's money on just 16 Typhoons or 16 Gripens and 2-3 squadrons of J-10Cs instead - I would go for the latter.

I read somewhere ( actually in quora ) that typhoon maintenance cost is extremely high ? I do not know if it is a reliable figure or not , but I also read the same statistics somewhere I can not find the link now . Please take a look ( answer by Brandon beck) and write that if this figure is realistic or not ?
https://www.quora.com/How-much-do-the-flying-cost-per-hour-of-the-F35A-Rafale-and-Typhoon-compare

@TopCat

However @UKBengali , I honestly believe that we should not go for cheaper products , as they are not daily goods that we will buy everyday . And also perhaps numbers should not be an issue for military .

India has nearly 2 times bigger army than Pakistan , but that did not make India victorious against Pakistan in wars , but almost all wars were tie !
What is your opinion about it?

Last edited:
@Atlas

It is a question of strategy.

BD needs fighters that it can use against either India and Myanmar with no problems.
J-10C can be procured from China in numbers and there would be no question of not getting supplies from China if BD was at war with India.
UK has deep ties with India and cannot be relied on in case BD was at war with India.

Gripen is more than good enough to take on Myanmar air force and even if Sweden sanctioned BD in a conflict, it will have enough supplies stockpiled that the small MAF can be wiped out with what BD has in place.

@Atlas

It is a question of strategy.

BD needs fighters that it can use against either India and Myanmar with no problems.
J-10C can be procured from China in numbers and there would be no question of not getting supplies from China if BD was at war with India.
UK has deep ties with India and cannot be relied on in case BD was at war with India.

Gripen is more than good enough to take on Myanmar air force and even if Sweden sanctioned BD in a conflict, it will have enough supplies stockpiled that the small MAF can be wiped out with what BD has in place.
Okay understood . Maybe your line of thinking about India and UK relationship is correct , since India is bigger market for UK or anyone because of it's mammoth size of population.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom