What's new

Bangladesh Air Force is interested in Dassault Aviation's Rafale

IMHO ... if it's Rafale ... stick with one platform until you get a next-gen/5th-gen fighter option to complement it.

So, start with 16 Rafales, and then with time grow it to the 3-4 squadron strength you were planning on. Once you've fully absorbed that (along with the support systems, e.g., AEW&C, UAVs, etc), then move towards a FGFA: maybe 1-2 squadrons. Basically, and I said this earlier, BAF should pattern its procurement style based on Poland, forget the Indo-Pak line of thinking.

What you say makes sense but BD wants to balance the West and China.It cannot be dependent on either.

Remember BD is a country of 165 million and it's population will peak at 180-200 million in the 2030s.

It sees itself as becoming one of the 10 most powerful countries economically and militarily by mid-century.

BD already has an aerospace company (BAC) and it's first jet trainer is scheduled to fly next year. The first aerospace university has also been set up. This is a country with an ambitious long term plan.

CEBR predicts that it's economy will grow to 25th largest by 2034 and who knows it may enter the top 10 by 2050 but that is too far into the future to predict with much certainty right now.

What you say makes sense but BD wants to balance the West and China.It cannot be dependent on either.

Remember BD is a country of 165 million and it's population will peak at 180-200 million in the 2030s.

It sees itself as becoming one of the 10 most powerful countries economically and militarily by mid-century.

BD already has an aerospace company (BAC) and it's first jet trainer is scheduled to fly next year. The first aerospace university has also been set up. This is a country with an ambitious long term plan.

CEBR predicts that it's economy will grow to 25th largest by 2034 and who knows it may enter the top 10 by 2050 but that is too far into the future to predict with much certainty right now.
IMO your economy should be your guarantor for maintaining suppliers in check. If it'll grow and advance as you're saying, no supplier will fail you.

IMO your economy should be your guarantor for maintaining suppliers in check. If it'll grow and advance as you're saying, no supplier will fail you.

The point is that BD sees itself as an independent economic and military power.

You cannot be this by being an arms importer, especially from a single alliance like the West.

I see the following in terms of BD arms acquisitions:

2020s : West + China with minor component from Turkey
2030s : West, China and Turkey with small amounts being produced by BD.
2040s : Turkey major arms supplier with BD supplying increasing amounts of hardware itself - mainly subsystems like radars and missiles.
2050 onwards : Turkey and BD.

Last edited:
I don’t know what to say on BAF is interested in this or BAF is in interested in that. For heaven sake for once take a decision and by something. I felt sorry when I saw senior pilots of wing commander and squadron leader levels were flying trainers in a fly past and that also on a national day.

I don’t know what to say on BAF is interested in this or BAF is in interested in that. For heaven sake for once take a decision and by something. I felt sorry when I saw senior pilots of wing commander and squadron leader levels were flying trainers in a fly past and that also on a national day.

Yea fighter procurement takes time.

Just take a look around.

Forget Tranche 1 Typhoons. BAF is looking at brand new aircraft.

So it's either F 16, Tranche 3 Typhoons or F 18 E/F.

How certain are you about this? It's definitely better to get brand new ones but these platforms are crazy expensive. If BAF goes for new birds how much fleet expansion can be expected?
Or is it just going to stop at 16?

How certain are you about this? It's definitely better to get brand new ones but these platforms are crazy expensive. If BAF goes for new birds how much fleet expansion can be expected?
Or is it just going to stop at 16?

Brand new Typhoons are crazily expensive to buy and operate.

Unfortunately too many posters have little aptitude in mathematics to understand.

Brand new Typhoon with AESA radar will cost more than 100 million US dollar per bird.

It also costs more than twice per hour than F-16 to operate and the munitions are also more expensive.

16 new Typhoons and BAF would buy nothing more for 5 more years.

Why not bribe the $100 million to Myanmar generals to achieve the same ? It doesn't require to purchase expensive hardwares to combat a hyper-corrupted military. They will even turn off their own air defense RADARS during the raids, if you pay them the right amounts. We have seen this many times elsewhere in the past. But no, your generals also want to make $100 million commissions in DGDP( DIRECTORATE GENERAL DEFENCE PURCHASE) contracts.

Last edited:
With about $4Bln BAF can lace itself with 100 4++ Gen Fighters. And with remaining $1Bln weapons and training.

And in order to do this BD needs to have a pragmatic business sense... for now it is all woods and no trees.

A strong, prosperous and Independent BD is Pak's National Interests!

And I would argue a strong, prosperous and independent Pakistan is in Bangladesh's national interests as well!

Why not bribe the $100 million to Myanmar generals to achieve the same ? It doesn't require to purchase expensive hardwares to combat a hyper-corrupted military. They will even turn off their own air defense RADARS during the raids, if you pay them the right amounts. We have seen this many times elsewhere in the past. But no, your generals also want to make $100 million commissions in DGDP( DIRECTORATE GENERAL DEFENCE PURCHASE) contracts.

What a ridiculous suggestion if you are serious!

You can't shame some morons who has no shame.

How about Bangladeshi guys open threads on Japanese X-2, South Korean FX, Turkish TFX, British Tempest Program and Franco-German Future Combat Aircraft.

Rosoboronexport pays well to some of Bangladeshi Generals and Four Stars Douches.

Google translation:

Despite Bangladesh's interest in the Rafale, the French fighter plane has very little chance of landing in Dhaka against the American, Chinese and Russian armadas.

It may sound incredible, but Bangladesh is interested in Dassault Aviation's Rafale, according to concordant sources. The tri-color combat aircraft has already been bought by its big neighbor India and a possible acquisition by Dacca would make sense in terms of fleet synergies. According to our information, the Bangladeshi Ministry of Defense has the budget to purchase eight combat aircraft. However, the tri-color fighter, which is not the only one wanting to land in Dhaka, is far from being the favorite in Bangladesh.

The Americans landed in force in 2019 in Bangladesh to offer the Bangladeshi armed forces a multitude of armaments, from fighter planes to missile systems through combat helicopters. Boeing has already won an international tender and is close to an agreement to supply the Apache AH-64E. Until now mainly supplied by China, then by Russia, Bangladesh has the firm intention to modernize its armed forces, in particular its air fleet made up of MiG-29 and Chinese combat aircraft Chengdu J-7.

Almost non-existent French exports
Not surprisingly, France exports very little to Bangladesh. In ten years (2009-2018), French manufacturers have exported 25.7 million euros, including 8.4 million in 2018, to military equipment to the Bangladeshi armed forces. They were delivered over the same period for 12.8 million military items. At the end of 2018, there were 42 licenses granted in progress to Bangladesh for a total of 2.9 billion euros (including 2.6 billion naval materials).

https://www.latribune.fr/entreprise...ncOLYGkddqXNzNUY7KwUDimxrxwJs_OjVFLaRNnBUsmkk

Remembering Agosta deal in Pakistan France is ready to offer kickbacks, but if the Bangladeshi airforce is really sincere in a quality option they should look at Mig-35s and if US has concerns then Grippens or F-18s.

Forget Tranche 1 Typhoons. BAF is looking at brand new aircraft.

So it's either F 16, Tranche 3 Typhoons or F 18 E/F.
Tranche 3 post 2024 so if what you predicted is true (Fighter at 2021/2022) then the next jet will be single Engined?

You can't shame some morons who has no shame.

How about Bangladeshi guys open threads on Japanese X-2, South Korean FX, Turkish TFX, British Tempest Program and Franco-German Future Combat Aircraft.

Rosoboronexport pays well to some of Bangladeshi Generals and Four Stars Douches.
And the money comes from tanked oil prices right? Think before you speak moron

Dear Bangladeshis, you can get these birds cheaper from India. Just wait for 1 or 2 years.
We can’t. They’ll probably be shot down by you guys Or they’ll crash them in 1-2 years

No, no. no....

BAF has shown interest in Typhoon and US jets and that is ample to provide competition.

If this report is true then they are going from one extreme(too little competition) to another(too much competition).

They need to stop messing around and choose quickly - my preference would be ex-German Tranche 1 Eurofighters upgraded with AESA radar to be able to fire Meteor.
To me it seems, Bangladesh should just buy 16 euro fighter and wait till j31 matures... that way they’ll be able to jump to 5th gen and also have good defenses for now

Yea fighter procurement takes time.

Just take a look around.
Fighters procurement takes 10 years? Stop talking it, talk when you actually did something about it. India, Finland, Switzerland, Germany and Slovakia all invited RFPs. Do it then post comments.

Back
Top Bottom