What's new

Baloch insurgency faces uncertain future

^^ India can't do anything in Balochistan, as their public is ruled by sardars and tribes... All the tribes in Balochistan are loyal to the Pakistani govt in order for them to survive, as they already saw what happened to the Bugti tribe. And that's the end of it. When a terrorist group is really screwed it does suicide bombing like a coward

Forget about strength of argument, this article even lacks in facts.

By Khuram Iqbal

An official apology extended to Baloch people by President Asif Ali Zardari, an ethnic Baloch himself, in February 2008 demonstrated the significance that present political elite attach to the issue.
There was an official apology?! This is news to me. I though Zardari was not even President of Pakistan in February 2008. How did he issue an 'official' apology?
A number of political, economic and security initiatives launched by the ruling Pakistan Peoples Party government and the military establishment during the last four years, seeking an amicable solution to the complex problem of Pakistan's largest province, have gone unnoticed and unacknowledged.
Duh... when there is no noticeable change on the ground, 'initiatives' will go unnoticed. However I should point out that the financial award last year was much publicized as a measure for balanced development.
Calling them secular just because they denounce Taliban and al-Qaeda is scholarly biased and ethically unfair.
Baloch leaders have made enough statements to make them seem secular. People recognize today that the original Kashmiri movement of 1989 was secular. Does anybody question this? The simple reason is when you look around all the craziness, these seem to be the secular guys. Also the word 'fairness' is a bad choice to use in the context of ethics.

At the face of it, Baloch have made it clear that they aim for an independent secular democratic country, which is more in sync with modern and western values..
Apart from separating state from religious institutions, secularism also entails a movement toward modernization. And modernization in the era of globalization and triumph of democracy all around the world cannot be achieved through out-dated Marxist nationalist ideas, which itself has become a religion of its own in the Pakistani context.
On one side the Baloch movement is slammed by Pakistanis as an elitist Sardar dominated movement. This guy is now saying it is Marxist and hence a religion?! His head is stuck somewhere.
This attitude towards non-Baloch population of Balochistan also shows a paradigm shift in the separatists' policies and objectives when put in the context of past insurrections of 1948 and 1970s. Baloch militants rarely resorted to attacks against public targets in recent years - Pakistani military, law enforcement agencies and symbols of central government always remained the targets of choice. The carefully selected targets won the Baloch insurgents international acclaim and legitimacy to their cause, two of the most crucial elements for waging successful guerilla warfare.
Another reason for the respect they gained internationally.
For example, the Balochistan Liberation Army (BLA) has attempted to carry out a few suicide attacks, which were successfully pre-empted and prevented by Pakistani law enforcement agencies. The use of human bombs is something that can jeopardize the whole struggle and makes Baloch militias appear more ruthless and desperate.
There is no evidence as to the suicide attack attempts made by BLA. Besides a suicide attack will probably be received with horror internationally, only if it is successful and is against civilians, which the Baloch are unlikely to do given their strategy as the author himself noted above.
The story of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in Sri Lanka is a case in point. The organization rose to the status of the world's most formidable entity with the help of Indian external intelligence agency. As soon as the Indians cut-off their support for the group, Sri Lanka with a comparatively small army launched successful counter-insurgency campaign, defeated the group and re-established the writ of state in the areas previously ruled by the LTTE.
This is BS. To defeat the insurgency, Srilanka took 20 years after India called back its troops from Srilanka(who were fighting LTTE there btw). Besides the strength of LTTE came from funding the successful Tamil diapora in countries like Canada and Singapore gave. The numbers came easily from the conditions in Srilanka.
In Sri Lanka, the Research and Analysis Wing of India did not curtail their support for a terrorist outfit out of goodwill for Sri Lankan government and the people. It was the assassination of Indian Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi in May 1991 by an LTTE suicide bomber and a radicalization of India's own Tamil population, which forced the Indian intelligence apparatus to rethink their policy towards the group. In the case of Balochistan, the separatists will be abandoned in a similar fashion. This will not mark the end of unrest in Balochistan as external support is not the only factor behind insurgency in the province. The political aspects of the Baloch struggle for provincial autonomy and greater control will take priority over the militants' quest for an independent Balochistan.
This again is a BS narrative. Rajiv Gandhi was killed because he sent Indian army against LTTE. Most Pakistani journalists try to slant some situation against India and come up with LTTE as an example. But because they know nothing about Srilankan story, they mess up the facts. But then the readers are Pakistanis themselves. And so the next generation of journalists continue to report with this as background in their 'analysis', making them the laughing stock.

BLA has failed horribly in its mission to start a full scale nation wide insurgency which may engulf the total or a major portion of Baloch population in the province. They won't be able to stand one military operation but this is what exactly we don't have to do.
They are degrading themselves in the eyes of the Baloch and they are already demanding military operation against these morons.

If there has to be a military operation it has to be after 2014 pullout , then we can openly bomb their sanctuaries in Afghanistan if necessary. We can work with Iran on that too , most importantly such an operation has to be the last option. Diplomacy has to be the first option and it would work while BLA goes into a self destruct mode.

Seeing regional geo-politics it would be impossible for Baloch insurgents to gain independence but Pakistan would really need to address their real issues of economic exploitation.

main fallout is directed on FC action which only came after the Same Sardars enjoying the fruits inside or outside the government failed to deliver

well they didnt fail

there was never any intention.

somebody look up the political leadership in the present and past Baluchistan governments and tell me if anyone of them is Not ethnic Baloch?
they got elected by their "subjects" after all

the least they could do was stop killing the rival tribesmen whenever they were in the Govt.

Is the Raisani clan part of the same setup. Do they kill their opponents in the same way?

Seeing regional geo-politics it would be impossible for Baloch insurgents to gain independence but Pakistan would really need to address their real issues of economic exploitation.

maybe you know what that word means

but I really dont. and when i look at him I am sure he will be equally clueless

raisani-kayani-reuters-msl660.jpg

thats our CM btw :P

you have used a very vague and subjective term that can be applied on the natives of the north and South pole where the Americans are locked in horns with the rest of the world for Oil Exploration. same word might be applied to Adi Wasis where the Naxalites are fighting and most of Indians wont like that word

but hey just to be politically correct, this term can be applied for the African farmers as well who's crops are all exported for bio fuel while Africa starves for food. And lets not forget what the Punjabi farmers are protesting about from time to time on either side of the Wahaga border?

did you see the glittering eye$$ and the smug face of Karzai when he was talking about the discovery of tens billions dollars worth of gems and metal in Afghanistan? while he was all smiles about the incoming proceeds from the American exploration, do you think there was any mention or even a thought for the locals? and what did you say that word was ? oh yea economic exploitation.

reminds me of that pre-partition joke...

Indian Christian sweeper wife to her husband: (while cleaning the Governor's house ): "what are these people outside shouting about?"
her Indian Husband: "they are demanding freedom from "US".. and we are not going to give it to them"

just in case someone didnt get the jibe, the joke is on those two poor Indians who because of converting to Church of England or Protestant school, innocently think that now they are equal to their white British Masters.

now another one for you, which might apply on Balochistan very well.

a boy of a poor man asks his father who would become the tribal chief if our Khan-Baba dies.
"his oldest son of course, may he live long". replies the father

"and who would succeed him if he dies too?" asks the inquisitive son
"well then our younger sardar, may he bless us with his wisdom for years end"

"but what if they all die?" the son insists
" well... in that case the second strongest family clan member will become Khan-Baba.

"and if he dies too?" the son doesnt seem to give up.

".. look.. wait my son.. I know where its going so let me tell you one thing.. even if the whole tribe is dead. you or your father are never ever going to become Khan-baba, now move along and collect some wood for supper.

so my dear Gigawatt with the picture of Amjad Khan (may his soul rest in peace). nothing much will change for the majority of the Baloch people no matter who becomes their chieftain. Americans will suck the place dry of any mineral or fossil resources and move on. the current sardars will continue to enjoy the riches like they are now but there wont be any FC or Punjabi army to blame.

get a hint from "liberated" Libya and Iraq, if still in doubt.

peace

Is the Raisani clan part of the same setup. Do they kill their opponents in the same way?

in my own family I have both the killers and the victims
some spent time behind bars and some paid "blood money" to settle the scope.

short answer for your question my dear. it is really hard to find a single family who has not killed someone and bragged about it or has suffered at the hand of someone. I dont personally know about their family feuds. but wont be surprised if they are the same.

BLA has failed horribly in its mission to start a full scale nation wide insurgency which may engulf the total or a major portion of Baloch population in the province. They won't be able to stand one military operation but this is what exactly we don't have to do.

FC hasnt perused them in the mountains yet, let alone going after them across the broder .because the day we do that, it will be called Counter insurgency operation and the Western News media will start chocking with tears.
but I like the Iranian formula, they have a very no-nonsense attitude towards the terrorists,. they catch them red handed, read the charges and then execute them. ours on the other hand are freed by the courts and then they flee to Afghanistan or Sweden and then they mock us from there.

Well dont count out the terrorists just yet. As long as Americans are here across the border, they can energize them with cash and weapons in no time. TTP, BLA and other such outfits are non-state actors and Americans have good experience in using them for their objectives.

Talking about uncertainty of this "freedom movement" today a militant commander from Bugti tribe Wazir Khan Bugti along with his 30 followers has laid down weapons in front of Qadir Khan Bugti MNA from Dera Bugti. Source= Geo News. :rolleyes:

Baloch leaders have made enough statements to make them seem secular. People recognize today that the original Kashmiri movement of 1989 was secular. Does anybody question this? The simple reason is when you look around all the craziness, these seem to be the secular guys. Also the word 'fairness' is a bad choice to use in the context of ethics.

Secular or non secular. By pulling out people from the bus and killing them just because they belonged to some other province they have proved themselves to be a terrorist in every possible definition of the word terrorism.

There was an official apology?! This is news to me. I though Zardari was not even President of Pakistan in February 2008. How did he issue an 'official' apology?

“We apologise for our mistakes”. He apologized for both political and economical mistakes in Balochistan in his historical address to the 5th sitting of the joint parliament.

This is not the first time President has offered apologies to the Baloch nation." (23/march/2012)

http://weeklypulse.org/details.aspx?contentID=2086&storylist=6

Duh... when there is no noticeable change on the ground, 'initiatives' will go unnoticed. However I should point out that the financial award last year was much publicized as a measure for balanced development.
Initiatives have been taken , Gwadar port, Riko diq Mining and Mirani Dam projects are under process, All projects will be more benefitial for locals, ? Its not a piece of cake which can be resolved just in one year, Pakistan army is also contributing in all development sectors including ,education, health, mining, provision of jobs in Army, infrastructural development and other socio-economic development.

Pak Army took initiative to revive Chamalang Coal Mines project, which was disputed ever since 1980s. After its resolution under Pak Army, 73500 individuals of Luni and Marri tribes were provided job opportunities and 2000 individuals were employed as guards. The process was followed by excavation of over 2 million tons of coal.

Even as a reaction Many Baloch militant organistions have attacked the miners threatens them and killed them.
Abductors kill seven coal miners in Balochistan | DAWN.COM

They have targeted Chinese embassy and also threatens them to stop development projects in Balochistan Recently, trying all to create hurdles in Balochistan even these all projects are directly benefiting baloch peoples. All these attacks reflecting that watever these militants have done in past with Baloch , They want their people to remain in Backwardness. Also reflecting that how Baloch peoples have become victims of world power politics .

At the face of it, Baloch have made it clear that they aim for an independent secular democratic country, which is more in sync with modern and western values...

On one side the Baloch movement is slammed by Pakistanis as an elitist Sardar dominated movement. This guy is now saying it is Marxist and hence a religion?! His head is stuck somewhere.

Another reason for the respect they gained internationally.

There is no evidence as to the suicide attack attempts made by BLA. Besides a suicide attack will probably be received with horror internationally, only if it is successful and is against civilians, which the Baloch are unlikely to do given their strategy as the author himself noted above.
May be you are out of your mind ! They compare theirselves with LTTE , Their leaders had repeatedly claims in several interviews, even interms of brutulity they are hundred times more brutual then the LTTE. and trust me Baloch peoples are direct victim of their assasination campaign. Numbers of innocents they have killed including Hindu traders. Targeted minorities, I don't know how you can still support them, its just like supporting Naxals in india or LTTE in Sri lanka? Despite all of their sins they are portrayed as a hero by ghost posters of internet.

BLF terrorists gun down 19 coach passengers, use fake name - Worldnews.com

As far as your claims are concerned on their secularism and suicide bombing. just have a look,

Balochistan insurgency: Blast near Baloch politician

Robert Pape, a professor of political science at the University of Chicago who has closely observed every terrorist attack in the world from 1980 to early 2004, says more than half of all suicide attacks were carried out by secular groups and individuals.
“In fact, the world’s leader in suicide terrorism was the Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka, a Marxist group that is completely secular and that recruits from Hindus. More than a third of all suicide attacks by Muslims were also carried out by secular groups, such as the Kurdish PKK in Turkey and the Communist Party in Lebanon.”

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom