What's new

Baloch Assembly protests against dam project endangering a Hindu temple

The Temple is of Hinglaj mata one of the most revered deities in our religion unfortunately the temple went to Pakistan after partition. Few years back Mr Foreign minister Jaswant singh made trip to Pakistan just to visit the deity. Pakistan can open the site to Hindus as a CBM and it will generate good revenue too.

The Temple is of Hinglaj mata one of the most revered deities in our religion unfortunately the temple went to Pakistan after partition. Few years back Mr Foreign minister Jaswant singh made trip to Pakistan just to visit the deity. Pakistan can open the site to Hindus as a CBM and it will generate good revenue too.

While not downgrading the reverance of hindus to this temple, the point of discussion is Baluchistan needs water much more than the need to save one temple. However, if there is a way to do so, even at the cost of cutting the cave up and reassembling it elsewhere, i still think it should be done. the revenue from it also requires peace and presence of amenities which at the moment are not there.
Regards
Araz

Balochistan lawmakers oppose dam construction near temple

29 Jun 2008, 1251 hrs IST,PTI

ISLAMABAD: Lawmakers in Pakistan's southwest Balochistan assembly have demanded that the federal government drop plans to build a dam in the region as the structure will damage a historical Hindu temple visited by thousands of pilgrims every year.

In a joint resolution moved by several provincial ministers and backed by all lawmakers, except one, members of the assembly wanted the federal government to cancel plans for building the dam on Hangol river that would pass near the Makran coastal highway close to the Hinglaj Mata temple.

The temple, which could be endangered by the proposed dam, is visited each year by thousands of Hindu pilgrims, especially during the grand annual religious festival in April.

Balochistan's Irrigation and Power Minister Sardar Muhammad Aslam Bizenjo along with several provincial ministers moved the joint resolution in the assembly opposing the construction of the dam.

"We request the government to respect the sentiments of our fellow Hindu brothers. If the temple is damaged, Pakistan's image on the global front would be tarnished and Hindus living all across the world would be hurt over our inability to protect our religious minorities," the resolution said.

"We therefore request the government to construct the dam elsewhere to ensure the protection of the Hinglaj Mata temple," it said.

Balochistan lawmakers oppose dam construction near temple-Pakistan-World-The Times of India

Let me just mention a small tidbit that about that "lone member" supporting the construction of the Dam.

That lone member also happens to be the lone Hindu member of the Baluchistan legislature, and his reasons for supporting the dam are the same as those of the people on this forum - that the needs of Baluchistan in terms of water, electricity and the resulting irrigation facilities and development far outweigh the need to preserve the Temple - though he too said that if it was feasible to construct the dam elsewhere or protect the Temple, than that option should be studied.

if it's sacred to Hindus, then I don't think there should be any question of tearing it down. build the dam elsewhere or figure out something, that's all I think we should do.

we have to protect it, as muslims. we can't possibly hope to project ourselves amongst other people in a positive manner, if we can't even protect their places of worship. anyways, an Islamic govt. is required to protect places of worship, for other religions.

if it's sacred to Hindus, then I don't think there should be any question of tearing it down. build the dam elsewhere or figure out something, that's all I think we should do.

we have to protect it, as muslims. we can't possibly hope to project ourselves amongst other people in a positive manner, if we can't even protect their places of worship. anyways, an Islamic govt. is required to protect places of worship, for other religions.

I don't think shifting of dam could be possible, but there should be a way that the temple can be shifted. There must be a way out with latest tech. And once all options are exhausted, then I think some hard decision has to be taken, cos the development can't be stopped due to these reasons.

Ithink opposition of the project is a bit harsh and the need of the majority should be kept in mind. Needless to say water scarcity in baluchistan is ammammoth problem.
Araz

To be perfectly (perhaps brutally) honest, my first inclination as a Pakistani is to blow up the temple without giving it a second thought since the dam us far more important to us than a Hindu temple. However, the point that an Islamic society would not allow such a thing carries great weight and compels one towards these higher values. Besides, I have been to the temple several times and I have to say that the area is stunningly beautiful and definitely worth preserving.

To be perfectly (perhaps brutally) honest, my first inclination as a Pakistani is to blow up the temple without giving it a second thought since the dam us far more important to us than a Hindu temple. However, the point that an Islamic society would not allow such a thing carries great weight and compels one towards these higher values. Besides, I have been to the temple several times and I have to say that the area is stunningly beautiful and definitely worth preserving.

Why do you want to blow up the temple? Even the dam guys don't need to do that! :lol:

You are misinterpreting what I said. I am clearly saying that one should not blow up the temple.

It is really interesting to note Baluchistan NAs motives behind this move. They consider the temple more important than the prospect of water and electricity for their people? So what is really going on behind the scene. The Lone opponent is also the lone Hindu Member of Baluchistan NA!!!!! what is going on there?
Araz

It is really interesting to note Baluchistan NAs motives behind this move. They consider the temple more important than the prospect of water and electricity for their people? So what is really going on behind the scene. The Lone opponent is also the lone Hindu Member of Baluchistan NA!!!!! what is going on there?
Araz

I agree with that to some extent. If the dam is essential for the people in the region, then any religious structures should not be given importance, unless they have great historical value.

I must confess that I was very pleasantly surprised on reading of the resolution if the Assembly. If there are no ulterior motives ( I am after all a South Asian so pardon my line of thought !!) then it is indeed refreshing.

But are we living in the same South Asia where we simply love to hate each other ?!! Why are doing this .. this is most unlike us..wonder if this is a CIA plot !! We need to set up a commission to investigate this & give a report in the next six months extend able to a couple of years as is the norm in our parts.By then either the project will get shelved or mired in some scandal or some new one will be thought of.

Well jokes apart,as regards shifting the temple, I feel it ought to relocated. Local needs take precedence .. . to put it bluntly, if God cannot get water for the land then he needs to shift to make place for it.

Whatever the motives of the Baluchistan Assembly; they are the elected representatives and have a right to look after the intrerests of their province as they see fit. At the same time Baluchistan is the driest province of Pakistan and water is a scarce and valuable resource.

Egyptians have shown us the way how it should be done. When Aswan Dam was being constructed, they picked up Abu Simble brick by brick and rebuilt it at an adjacent site. A vistor now would never guess that it has been moved a few kilometers.The same should be done with the Temple. This way you can eat your cake and have it too!

Egyptians have shown us the way how it should be done. When Aswan Dam was being constructed, they picked up Abu Simble brick by brick and rebuilt it at an adjacent site. A vistor now would never guess that it has been moved a few kilometers.The same should be done with the Temple. This way you can eat your cake and have it too!

Niaz that temple is essentially a cave. No bricks involved here.

In any case, by the looks of it, its hardly worth the effort to save it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom