Baloch Assembly protests against dam project endangering a Hindu temple

Neo

RETIRED

New Recruit

Reaction score
Baloch Assembly protests against dam project endangering a Hindu temple

9699ecd57d2da19e843ce2869f8be09e.jpg

The walk to the temple is through a rocky and mostly dry river bed​

Islamabad, June 30 : The Government of Pakistan has been asked by the Baloch Provincial Assembly to pass a parliamentary resolution to cancel the construction of a dam over the Hangol River, saying that such a dam could permanently damage an ancient temple of Hindus located in the area.

Balochistan's Irrigation and Power Minister Sardar Mohammad Aslam Bizenjo and other provincial ministers moved a resolution on the floor of the assembly over the weekend that categorically objected to the dam being constructed near the historical Hinglaj Mata Temple, where an annual festival is held every April.

The Baloch Assembly resolution warned that if the dam was constructed, the temple could go under water sooner than later, and this would hurt the sentiments of all Hindus.

It requested the federal government to have the dam constructed elsewhere.

One legislator from the Hindu community, Basant Lal Gulshan, however, said that the construction of the dam should take place, and added that religion should not be allowed to come in the way of socio-economic development.

Another legislator said that the construction of the dam as part of the Hangol National Park was violative of the Pakistan Government's commitment to the World Bank and the international community on the issue of environment protection.(ANI)

Baloch Assembly protests against dam project endangering a Hindu temple | Top News

What the hell, it's just a picture on the wall.
It is not a temple and for national development work it is alright if dipped in water.
Balauchistan is in hands of ANP, any thing can be expected.

In foreign countries no minority is allowed to build places of worship without prior approval of authorities.

It is not a temple and for national development work it is alright if dipped in water.

In foreign countries no minority is allowed to build places of worship without prior approval of authorities.

ANP is a NWFP Party!!!:disagree: What are you talking about.

Recpecting anothers religion is what Islam teaches.

No, there's a historic hindu temple, actually there are two!
I only added one picture to the article, here's some more:

77e8b3cfd08c5c4ada9222f87ddcdec7.jpg

6ec6fa297c51c3f0e4ee818061f6345f.jpg

1194779da6534f8c709b1303d51bca37.jpg

48d03afaad62e129bdcbfcff1f4d77b8.jpg

e31f10dfb5e84c0abe9501f8216d4f8d.jpg

f6691c4acd110573932cc045f6f2ac69.jpg

If it is feasible to relocate the dam, or to relocate the temple, or protect it somehow, then the GoP should do it, even if it means a little additional expense.

But given the scarcity of water and electricity in Pakistan, I do not think that the dam should be scrapped if the only feasible locations are those that would submerge the temple.

Thanks for posting those pictures Neo - very nice. I really do hope it isn't destroyed.

From the pictures it looks like that the major portion of the temple is built in a cave.

If it is feasible to relocate the dam, or to relocate the temple, or protect it somehow, then the GoP should do it, even if it means a little additional expense.

But given the scarcity of water and electricity in Pakistan, I do not think that the dam should be scrapped if the only feasible locations are those that would submerge the temple.
I spent an hour studying satellite pictures, there seem to be no alternatives in the area. Please check the Hingol National Park thread in the multimedia section and you'll see how desperate it looks without water.

Thanks for posting those pictures Neo - very nice. I really do hope it isn't destroyed.

You're welcome.
Please check more pictures of Hingol Valley here: http://www.defence.pk/forums/general-images-multimedia/12467-national-parks-pakistan.html#post171307

^

Why not do what the Egyptians did, when they built a Dam on the river probably the river Nile as I remember, there were a few Pyramids that would be submerged, so what the government did is that they took it apart I think it was either a French or British firm and they put it back together in different location safety and soundly with out losing its authenticity of nature.

But I doubt it will work for this situation?

Why don't be build a new Temple with modern facilities instead? Afaik the temple is not built on holy grounds, its not a birthplace for some Hindu God.
The importance is rather symbolic than of religious importance.

Its hardly worth the effort to save. You'd might as well build a new one, depending on how the local hindus take it.

This one got submerged near bangalore:

650046772ee614d3079dcfa894167631.jpg

Since the structure of the temple itself is really nothing much more than a "cave", it would be pretty easy to remove all of the artifacts (which would be the items of most value at the location) and construct a new temple close to the original location to maintain the symbolic value.

I'd say the GoP could pull off a stunner with a new temple beside the lake formed from the dam, one that would have a lot more facilities for the visiting pilgrims ....

Since the structure of the temple itself is really nothing much more than a "cave", it would be pretty easy to remove all of the artifacts (which would be the items of most value at the location) and construct a new temple close to the original location to maintain the symbolic value.

I'd say the GoP could pull off a stunner with a new temple beside the lake formed from the dam, one that would have a lot more facilities for the visiting pilgrims ....

Depends....people get sentimental about caves too.

More often than not, the religious value of a temple is entirely dependent on the myths, legends etc. associated with that particular spot.

If your purpose behind the conservation effort is to protect religious sentments, I doubt that building a shiny new temple is going to mean the same thing to the same people.

However, I doubt that the bureaucracy is going to bother itself with such intangibles.

Isnt it possible to rleocate the whole temple. It should not be too difficult although pricey to cut the whole mountain which has the cave and relaocate it. Otherwise we should just take the artifacts out and build a new temple nearby. this would be the best solution in my view.
Guys if you remember your history about Ibn al Haitham, he was charged with designing the Iswan dam, but relaized that it would drown a lot of Pyramids in the lake. As the ruler of the time was a really cruel man, who did not like no for an answer, he feigned insanity and subsequently died in the cell he was incarcerated in 2 yrs later. Jiust thought I wanted to share this with you.
araz

Back
Top Bottom