What's new

Bahrainis come to streets in their 'Biggest demonstration' ever

Serpentine

INT'L MOD
Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
Tens of thousands of Bahrainis have demonstrated outside the capital Manama to demand political reforms, a year after the Gulf Arab state crushed an uprising, witnesses said.

The protesters began marching along a main road near the city on Friday in response to a call from leading Shia cleric Sheikh Isa Qassim who urged people to renew their calls for greater democracy.

A live blog showed images of the protesters carrying banners denouncing "dictatorship" and demanding the release of detainees.

"We are here for the sake of our just demands that we cannot make concessions over and we stick with them because we have sacrificed for them," Qassim said before the march, during his weekly sermon in the Shia village of Diraz.

He had promised to personally lead the march, his most high-profile action in more than a year of unrest.

'Biggest demonstration'

A photographer with the Reuters news agency said the main Budaiya road in the area of Diraz, and Saar, west of Manama was packed, just one hour before the protest was set to begin.

"It is the biggest demonstration in the past year. I would say it could be over 100,000," he said.

Nabeel Rajab, president of the Bahrain Centre for Human Rights, told Al Jazeera by phone from Manama that "thousands of security forces" had been deployed to close down roads leading to the protest site.

"The message is that people are not happy with the government. We have clear demands: an elected government, a parliament with power, an end to sectarian discrimination, a clear redistribution of wealth and power and all demands guaranteed by the international convention on human rights," he said.

Rajab added that Friday's protests were "the biggest in our history".

Independent inquiry

The country's majority Shia population were in the forefront of last year's protest movement in Bahrain, which erupted in February after uprisings in Egypt and Tunisia.

The Sunni Muslim ruling Al Khalifa family crushed the protests one month later, imposing a period of martial law and bringing in Saudi and United Arab Emirates troops to restore order.

An independent commission of inquiry, formed and funded by Bahrain's government, investigated the protests in February and March 2011.

The commission found that "Thirty-five deaths occurred between February 14 and April 15, 2011 that have been linked to the events of February and March 2011. The deaths of 19 of these civilians have been attributed to security forces."

Among other findings, the commission reported that "Many detainees were subjected to torture and other forms of physical and psychological abuse while in custody".

Bahrain, where the US Fifth Fleet is based, has remained mired in crisis and Shia youths clash daily with riot police.

The unrest has slowed the economy in what was a major tourism and banking hub in the Gulf region.

Riyadh's influence

Tension has risen in recent weeks around the February 14 anniversary of the uprising, with security forces maintaining a tight grip on the traffic intersection that protesters originally occupied.

Pro-government Sunni groups have organised counter rallies, warning the authorities not to enter into a dialogue on reforms that could give the elected parliament legislative clout and the power to form governments.

Those groups look to Sunni power Saudi Arabia as a key ally and say the opposition is loyal to Shia Iran, a charge the opposition parties deny. Analysts say Riyadh does not want Bahrain to agree to reforms that empower Shias.

Qassim said Friday's march would show how strong the opposition was.

"The march will either prove you are only an isolated minority making demands, or that the demands are widely
popular," he said in his sermon, which was posted on YouTube.

Bahrain's Shias demand reform at mass rally - Middle East - Al Jazeera English

PressTV - Bahrainis hold mass anti-government rally in capital

---------------------------------------------------------
Who was saying Iran is behind demonstrations?If we are really behind this,I wanna say good job Iran,you are doing it right.What other country can bring hundreds of thousands of people to streets in another country? (Sarcasm hope you got it) ;)

Who was saying Iran is behind demonstrations?If we are really behind this,I wanna say good job Iran,you are doing it right.What other country can bring hundreds of thousands of people to streets in another country? (Sarcasm hope you got it) ;)[/QUOTE]

huhuh the GCC forces are there and soon the Iranian agent will be deported to there mother land

btw can you tell what in the pics has do to in bahrain

an3m1.com_13313227811.jpg

an3m1.com_13313227812.jpg

an3m1.com_13313227813.jpg

huhuh the GCC forces are there and soon the Iranian agent will be deported to there mother land

btw can you tell what in the pics has do to in bahrain

You are a complete failure.You mean hundreds of thousands of Bahrainis are Iranian agents?Your logic and way of thinking is a disaster.I don't know what they are feeding you that you think like this.So if you are right and majority of Bahrain population are Iranians,can't we say Bahrain belongs to Iran? :)

Oh and you mentioned GCC forces.The only thing they are good are is torturing and suppressing their own people.

March 9, 2012 4:52 pm
Bahrain protesters march in huge rally
By Simeon Kerr in Dubai

Bahraini protesters held a huge rally demanding democratic change in the largest anti-government demonstration since unrest destabilised the strategically important Gulf kingdom last year.
Activists estimated that more than 200,000 people on Friday flooded a suburban highway in an area populated by the majority Shia, who have been demanding political reform from the minority Sunni-led monarchy.

The government said the protest, encouraged by the island’s most senior Shia cleric, numbered closer to 100,000.
Consisting of a significant portion of the country’s 600,000 citizens, the march was a riposte to government claims that the 13-month uprising is subsiding ahead of April’s scheduled Formula 1 Grand Prix. The race was cancelled last year because of protests.
At the protest, which ended peacefully, men and women chanted for the downfall of King Hamad bin Isa al-Khalifa. They also called for the release of political leaders imprisoned after Saudi Arabia led Gulf forces on to the island last March, providing cover for the ensuing brutal government crackdown on dissent.
Later, police used tear gas to disperse hundreds of youths who attempted to march on to the site ofPearl roundabout, the focal point of last year’s demonstrations, saying the protesters had hurled rocks at them.
“The people, full of anger about the rights violations, are united in their demands for an elected government – there is no way back,” said Jalil Khalil of the main Shia opposition group al-Wefaq.
The protest comes amid rising speculation that a dialogue may soon be launched after the royal court minister made contact with opposition leaders in February.
“The protests could be a message of pressure ahead of talks, so the Shia opposition has made their point,” said Sheikh Abdulaziz bin Mubarak al-Khalifa, government spokesman. “However, the call for dialogue has always been made available.”
But Mr Khalil says the opposition has had no contact with the ruling family since those preparatory talks in February.
The government, seeking to revive its status as a financial hub, says it is reforming, claiming that the protests are fomented by neighbouring Iran.
An independent royal commission documented 46 deaths between last February and October, slamming the security forces for excessive use of force and systematic torture.
But opposition groups, who now estimate the death toll at more than 60, say reforms are half-hearted box-ticking, lacking intent to change facts on the ground.
Police continue to beat youths regularly amid slow progress in reviewing sentences passed down by a military court in the aftermath of the crackdown, they say.
In the political vacuum, youths have increasingly turned to violence as they challenge the status quo, throwing petrol bombs and rocks that have injured policemen.

Bahrain protesters march in huge rally - FT.com

BBC News - Bahrain protesters join anti-government march in Manama

---------- Post added at 01:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 AM ----------

do have no comment on the pics ma man

Unfortunately Fake Photos. Not related with the Current event.

March 9, 2012 4:52 pm

Unfortunately Fake Photos. Not related with the Current event.

prove it ? this pics were taking during the demonstration
everything you see you say fake.. stop this scenario .. google it so you would know >>. more pics will be posted

If anyone has problem with those unrelated photos held by citizens but not with foreign (occupation?) forces and foreign mercenary police forces then one needs to get their head checked.

prove it ? this pics were taking during the demonstration
everything you see you say fake.. stop this scenario .. google it so you would know >>. more pics will be posted

I have posted the links above. Go see new pics on bbc link. They are the latest. By the way I am not accusing you of making these fake photos. All I am saying is that these are not related to the current event. They are old.

I have posted the links above. Go see new pics on bbc link. They are the latest. By the way I am not accusing you of making these fake photos. All I am saying is that these are not related to the current event. They are old.

uhu poor guy

will first the photos aren't fake and if you are saying its fake then prove it? second yeah the photos are old what months ago and its been taken during the uprising. my point is to response to the one who says iran has nothing to do in Bahrain and there are not behind that so how would justify these photos and what it has to do in Bahrain demonstration.

uhu poor guy

will first the photos aren't fake and if you are saying its fake then prove it? second yeah the photos are old what months ago and its been taken during the uprising. my point is to response to the one who says iran has nothing to do in Bahrain and there are not behind that so how would justify these photos and what it has to do in Bahrain demonstration.

Wrongly associated with the current demonstration to show few people came on to street and to show that they are supporter of HizbAllah only. If you Wilfully misguide some one I will call it FAKE. Thank you.

---------- Post added at 02:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 AM ----------

Sorry if it hurt your feeling but it is my opinion. Sorry again.

Wrongly associated with the current demonstration to show few people came on to street and to show that they are supporter of HizbAllah only. If you Wilfully misguide some one I will call it FAKE. Thank you.

again the photos was a response the first post >your not following are you?:blah:

Back
Top Bottom