What's new

Babur Cruise Missile - Database

Well thanks for the reply. The only advantage i was thinking of with this is higher range and payload. You did not say anything regarding the anti shipping role. Is not it possible to use the same seeker to lock on to a ship's radar in terminal phase.
not good for anti ship role dear. Most of world know anti-ship missiles go Super Sonic in terminal stage, the fall down to just 2-5meter above sea level, are extremely highly maneuverable to avoid anti missile systems.
Babur is not meant to be used in this role!
If you ask, can Babur hit a ship in the sea, yes it can, with its high degree of precession. But can it do this successfully all the time with all the anti-missile defense systems installed on the battle ships, perhaps no!!

regards!

The role of babur i presume would be both strategic and but more importantly to hit enemy installations deep within India. The difference here between a ballistic missile and a cruise would be stealth to avoid anti ballistic shield. My question is inorder to hit areas that deep, Babur should have a range of at least 2000+ kms? The ideal would be that of a TomaHawk.
Because otherwise a ballistic missile is going to be used to strike deep within India which possess risk of its own, specially a possible risk of being misunderstood as a nuclear attack, leading to a nuclear exchange.

The role of babur i presume would be both strategic and but more importantly to hit enemy installations deep within India. The difference here between a ballistic missile and a cruise would be stealth to avoid anti ballistic shield. My question is inorder to hit areas that deep, Babur should have a range of at least 2000+ kms? The ideal would be that of a TomaHawk.
Because otherwise a ballistic missile is going to be used to strike deep within India which possess risk of its own, specially a possible risk of being misunderstood as a nuclear attack, leading to a nuclear exchange.

Babur being an "aircraft like" turbo fan engine....will only need more or better fuel to fly greater distance...

Just for arguments sake lets compare 2500 Km range Tomahawk and 700 Km range Babur

Tomahawk : Wingspan 2.67 m
Babur : Wingspan 2.67 m

Tomahawk : Weight 1,300 kg (Without Booster Rocket)
Babur : Weight 1,500 kg (Probably with Booster Rocket)

Tomahawk :Length 5.56 m
Babur :Length 6.25 m

All perimeters are the same of Babur and Tomahawk..and i honestly doubt that Babur has only 700 KM range....

BGM-109A-Cutaway-S.jpg

The difference lies in both an efficient engine and better fuel.

These small engines of around 1000KG thrust are very easy to source and freely available in international market..

The difference lies in both an efficient engine and better fuel.

These small engines of around 1000KG thrust are very easy to source and freely available in international market..

Babur is not fitted with a 1000Kg Thrust engine. The Babur Cruise missile is powered by 700lb thrust engine with a thrust-to-weight ratio of 4.8:1
The engine comprises a single-stage centrifugal compressor, two-stage fan with a two-stage low-pressure booster, a reverse-flow annular combustor with rotary injection, a turbine section with one high-pressure and two low-pressure stages. It uses a special high-density blended aviation turbine fuel that has more energy for a given volume than standard fuels, and can endure harsh weather conditions and long storage periods.

About fuel, The missile has a booster rocket provides additional thrust to accelerate the missile away from the launch vehicle and ground at time of launch/lift-off. This is a Solid Fuel Booster Rocket.
After the launch the middle section flight wings unfold, the booster rocket is jettisoned and the jet engine takes on for the rest of flight path. Babur have a Liquid Fuel Jet Engine.

for more:
http://www.defence.pk/forums/pakist...abur-cruise-missile-database.html#post3023390

Babur is not fitted with a 1000Kg Thrust engine. The Babur Cruise missile is powered by 700lb thrust engine with a thrust-to-weight ratio of 4.8:1
The engine comprises a single-stage centrifugal compressor, two-stage fan with a two-stage low-pressure booster, a reverse-flow annular combustor with rotary injection, a turbine section with one high-pressure and two low-pressure stages. It uses a special high-density blended aviation turbine fuel that has more energy for a given volume than standard fuels, and can endure harsh weather conditions and long storage periods.

About fuel, The missile has a booster rocket provides additional thrust to accelerate the missile away from the launch vehicle and ground at time of launch/lift-off. This is a Solid Fuel Booster Rocket.
After the launch the middle section flight wings unfold, the booster rocket is jettisoned and the jet engine takes on for the rest of flight path. Babur have a Liquid Fuel Jet Engine.

for more:
http://www.defence.pk/forums/pakist...abur-cruise-missile-database.html#post3023390

Who developed this engine and where is it currently produced in pakistan?

for more:

hi,
can you specify the exact or speculated model number of the engine?
Engines of this size and capacity,and bigger,all the way to 1 ton of thrust are very cheap and abundantly available off the shelf.
Why do you think the range is limoted to just 700KM?
Thanks

You dont need to develop these small engines..Engines of this size are available off the shelf

Much larger engine the likes of AL-31FP are also available off the shelf but thats not my point, I wanted
to know the origin of this engine and where its license-production line is located in pakistan.

I think v9sabove gave me what I wanted
to know alright.

to know the origin of this engine and where its license-production line is located in pakistan.

In Pakistan we don't worry about licenses too much, we buy, steal or beg for the technology and then we simply produce what we can. Pakistan has a fairly large military industrial complex and the production facilities could be anywhere. NESCOM's facilities at Fateh Jang or Taxila or AERO's facilties at Hassanabdal or PAC facilties at Kamra or Suparco's facilites in Karachi etc etc. Go figure it out. Google Earth can be useful. Also check the engines used by T37s which Pakistan has be flying for more than 50 years.

hi,
can you specify the exact or speculated model number of the engine?
Engines of this size and capacity,and bigger,all the way to 1 ton of thrust are very cheap and abundantly available off the shelf.
Why do you think the range is limoted to just 700KM?
Thanks
sorry, i cant. The above provided data is all collected from various sources and then i got it verified from two different persons from the field. Never got to discuss these details about engine. Will see if i can catch them again and get to know this.
However, it is of Chinese origin and as far as i got from my discussion, it is being locally produced now.

regards!

Back
Top Bottom