What's new

Azerbaijan offers Iraq access to Europe gas pipelines

doritos

Reaction score
Country
Iraq
From February, but I post it anyway

Azerbaijan offers Iraq access to Europe gas pipelines - Daily News Egypt

Gas pumped from the immense new Shah Deniz II field will travel across Azerbaijan and Georgia and across Turkey through a new Trans-Anatolian Pipeline, which is set to be a key part of the Southern Gas Corridor from the Caspian Sea to Turkey and the EU.

6-4-Iraq.gif

AFP – Azerbaijan has offered Iraq access to the “Southern Gas Corridor” connecting the Caspian Sea to the European Union to help Baghdad sell natural gas to Europe, Baku’s foreign minister said Monday.

Elmar Mammadyarov told journalists in the Iraqi capital that officials in Baghdad had already expressed interest in joining the massive project, which is supported by the United States and aims to reduce Europe’s dependence on gas from Russia.

“It’s a huge project … and it’s open if Iraq is also interested to deliver their own natural gas,” Mammadyarov said at a joint news conference with his Iraqi counterpart Hoshyar Zebari.

“The project is there, so if any other countries … want to join the Southern Gas Corridor, including Iraq, who already expressed some interest for this project, we are ready to start negotiations.”

Gas pumped from the immense new Shah Deniz II field will travel across Azerbaijan and Georgia and across Turkey through a new Trans-Anatolian Pipeline, which is set to be a key part of the Southern Gas Corridor from the Caspian Sea to Turkey and the EU.

Russia, meanwhile, backs a new pipeline under construction known as South Stream that aims to transport 63 billion cubic metres under the Black Sea to Europe.

Europe’s annual demand for additional gas import may reach 80 billion cubic metres by 2020 and surpass 140 billion cubic metres by 2030, according to the South Stream website.

Iraq currently produces relatively small quantities of gas, most of which is kept for its domestic market, and flares off a large amount of associated gas from its vast oil fields.

But the country is looking to ramp up exports of natural gas to fund reconstruction of its conflict-battered economy and infrastructure.

How is Qatar and other ME countries exporting most of its gas to Europe? From the same gas pipelines?

Good for Iraq and Azerbaijan.

Last edited:
Russian won't let it happened. It will hurt Russian monopoly . Its mainly proposal to overcome Ukraine gas issue, but Ukraine is buck naked, who will pay ?

LNG and ships. Qatar doesn't export that much to Europe anyway.

The ME should work together like Europe. We are an ancient region of the world that have contributed to the world immensely. We largely share the same religion, similar culture, we are neighbors and even genetically we are similar. It's time to leave all those petty differences and try to work together for a better ME region with will ultimately benefit every ME country.

But anyway who am I kidding? Right now the region is a mess but whatever outsiders say we still have the history and past achievements to be hopeful for another golden period. That nobody can take away from us, LOL.

We need some ME leaders that can unit the ME like some European leaders united Europe after WW1 and WW2 that killed 80 million PEOPLE!

Russian won't let it happened. It will hurt Russian monopoly . Its mainly proposal to overcome Ukraine gas issue, but Ukraine is buck naked, who will pay ?

Tanap passes through Greece and Bulgaria from Turkey far away from Ukraine , already BTC was finished from Azerbijan to Turkey and Russia was not able to stop it.

Russia can stop any project through Ukraine that is true , but not Greece or Bulgaria both under Nato and American control.

From February, but I post it anyway

Azerbaijan offers Iraq access to Europe gas pipelines - Daily News Egypt

6-4-Iraq.gif

AFP – Azerbaijan has offered Iraq access to the “Southern Gas Corridor” connecting the Caspian Sea to the European Union to help Baghdad sell natural gas to Europe, Baku’s foreign minister said Monday.

Elmar Mammadyarov told journalists in the Iraqi capital that officials in Baghdad had already expressed interest in joining the massive project, which is supported by the United States and aims to reduce Europe’s dependence on gas from Russia.

“It’s a huge project … and it’s open if Iraq is also interested to deliver their own natural gas,” Mammadyarov said at a joint news conference with his Iraqi counterpart Hoshyar Zebari.

“The project is there, so if any other countries … want to join the Southern Gas Corridor, including Iraq, who already expressed some interest for this project, we are ready to start negotiations.”

Russia, meanwhile, backs a new pipeline under construction known as South Stream that aims to transport 63 billion cubic metres under the Black Sea to Europe.

Europe’s annual demand for additional gas import may reach 80 billion cubic metres by 2020 and surpass 140 billion cubic metres by 2030, according to the South Stream website.

Iraq currently produces relatively small quantities of gas, most of which is kept for its domestic market, and flares off a large amount of associated gas from its vast oil fields.

But the country is looking to ramp up exports of natural gas to fund reconstruction of its conflict-battered economy and infrastructure.

This would be fun to watch when Iran and Iraq start selling gas directly to Europe breaking Russian monopoly .the Russians will go nuts over that .

The ME should work together like Europe. We are an ancient region of the world that have contributed to the world immensely. We largely share the same religion, similar culture, we are neighbors and even genetically we are similar. It's time to leave all those petty differences and try to work together for a better ME region with will ultimately benefit every ME country.

But anyway who am I kidding? Right now the region is a mess but whatever outsiders say we still have the history and past achievements to be hopeful for another golden period. That nobody can take away from us, LOL.

We need some ME leaders that can unit the ME like some European leaders united Europe after WW1 and WW2 that killed 80 million PEOPLE!

Mate to be clear, the ME is hell on earth. Brothers are killing each other on a daily basis.
The worst thing is it's like a bee hive, anyone that sticks it's hand in it is bound to get stung.

Mate to be clear, the ME is hell on earth. Brothers are killing each other on a daily basis.
The worst thing is it's like a bee hive, anyone that sticks it's hand in it is bound to get stung.

It's bad indeed bro, but remember that what is going on in Syria, Iraq, what did go on in Turkey during the Turkish-Kurdish conflict, what is going on in other countries is just a drop of water compared to what went on in Europe for centuries and not long ago (WW1 and WW2). I am not saying that everything is rosy. I would be lying if I did. But I am just saying that there is a big potential and that nothing is unable to get solved.

If the Europeans who killed 55 million of each other less than 70 years ago could/can make peace then why not the ME?

LNG and ships. Qatar doesn't export that much to Europe anyway.

The interesting part would be what could Russia offer Turkey in future to stop any gas sales through pipelines from Iraq and Iran that breaks its monopoly and Syria is now out of game for few more decades .

Tanap passes through Greece and Bulgaria from Turkey far away from Ukraine , already BTC was finished from Azerbijan to Turkey and Russia was not able to stop it.

Russia can stop any project through Ukraine that is true , but not Greece or Bulgaria both under Nato and American control.

This would be fun to watch when Iran and Iraq start selling gas directly to Europe breaking Russian monopoly .the Russians will go nuts over that .
Route offered doesn't make any sense for EU route. This route only good for Central Asia or Ukraine. Best route to EU would be Turkey.

Route offered doesn't make any sense for EU route. This route only good for Central Asia or Ukraine. Best route to EU would be Turkey.

Yes I referred to Turkey , you can only reach Bulgaria and Greece from Turkey which then goes right into EU away from Ukraine , read my comment again .

The thing still Russians might offer Turks concessions to give up such project , the Turks have a lot of issues in Balkan that Russia could help in solving for them .

It's bad indeed bro, but remember that what is going on in Syria, Iraq, what did go on in Turkey during the Turkish-Kurdish conflict, what is going on in other countries is just a drop of water compared to what went on in Europe for centuries and not long ago (WW1 and WW2). I am not saying that everything is rosy. I would be lying if I did. But I am just saying that there is a big potential and that nothing is unable to get solved.

If the Europeans who killed 55 million of each other less than 70 years ago could/can make peace then why not the ME?

This is pipe dreams with groups like MB , Alqauda and Extremist Shias around you cant have any unity, once you get rid of these species then we can talk about it , otherwise we can have strong gathering that combines Egypt, Jordan , UAE , Bahrain , Saudi Arabia and Kuwait into a new scheme that includes military and economic alliance , it is already taking shape now but forget any good ties with the others .

This is pipe dreams with groups like MB , Alqauda and Extremist Shias around you cant have any unity, once you get rid of these species then we can talk about it , otherwise we can have strong gathering that combines Egypt, Jordan , UAE , Bahrain , Saudi Arabia and Kuwait into a new scheme that includes military and economic alliance , it is already taking shape now but forget any good ties with the others .

You are talking like there was never any peace or unity in the ME? You forget the past 1400 years of Islamic history for instance? Where the ME was largely united for a very long period of time ruled by a few powerful Caliphates etc. But of course that was before the age of nationalism and modern-day states.

All I am saying is that there is a huge potential and the differences are not as huge as some would like to make it. Nothing that cannot be solved. It's not like we have killed each others in the millions unlike the Europeans. Or made genocide agains each other.

It just takes a big event for people to realize it. Or some strong leaders that unite people regardless of sect or nationality.

Religious extremists can be dealt with and they are already a small minority as well all know. Troublemakers or not.

The MB does not have any future in its current form. They are isolated and do not rule anywhere outside of tiny Gaza. They need to reform and will.

Last edited:
How is Russia taking this? AFAIK Azerbaijan still uses Russian military equipment by and large. We have seen how Russia behaved with Ukraine once it saw Kiev cozying up to the EU. Is Azerbaijan thus ready for any potential Russian reaction to this pipeline?

The interesting part would be what could Russia offer Turkey in future to stop any gas sales through pipelines from Iraq and Iran that breaks its monopoly and Syria is now out of game for few more decades .

Well İ doubt that they would actually offer anything, but in case they would, it would probably be cheaper gas prices and a pipeline to Europe that goes through Turkey.
However İ doubt that Turkey would agree, since a İraq-İran-Azerbaijan-Turkmenistan supply to Europe would be much more financially lucrative for Turkey. İt will mean complete independence for it's gas supply. And a stronger position in geopolitics towards Europe (İ would even bet my *** for it that they would immediately accept Turkey in E.U).

On a sidenote, İ have been always a strong believer that the reason for Qatar to be so heavily supportive for a regime change in Syria is the fact that they want a pipeline going to Europe. Where Syria is the only obstacle.

@al-Hasani , İ have to agree with @mahatir .
İ don't want to be too pessimistic, but İ think neither Mahatir or me and you would live long enough to see peace in ME.

How is Russia taking this? AFAIK Azerbaijan still uses Russian military equipment by and large. We have seen how Russia behaved with Ukraine once it saw Kiev cozying up to the EU. Is Azerbaijan thus ready for any potential Russian reaction to this pipeline?

If Russia attacks Azerbijan then Turkey would rape Armenia , already they have an oil pipeline running to Europe through turkey from azerbijan since 2004 .

The only situation where Russia would attack Azerbijan if it tries to take over Armenia and this is exactly what happened in Ukraine , American proxies took over power in kiev thus moscow had to respond by annexing crimea which was already part of russia back in 1954

You are talking like there was never any peace or unity in the ME? You forget the past 1400 years of Islamic history for instance? Where the ME was largely united for a very long period of time ruled by a few powerful Caliphates etc. But of course that was before the age of nationalism and modern-day states.

All I am saying is that there is a huge potential and the differences are not as huge as some would like to make it. Nothing that cannot be solved. It's not like we have killed each others in the millions unlike the Europeans. Or made genocide agains each other.

It just takes a big event for people to realize it. Or some strong leaders that unite people regardless of sect or nationality.

Religious extremists can be dealt with and they are already a small minority as well all know. Troublemakers or not.

The MB does not have any future in its current form. They are isolated and do not rule anywhere outside of tiny Gaza. They need to reform and will.

Europe United after they effectively separated between church and state , something that will never happen in the middle east. The shia extremists are roaming around Syria butchering sunnis for the sake of hussain revenge and extremist sunnis are blowing up anyone who does not accept their doctrine such as alqauda and ikhwan.

If you want full unity then I am sorry you will have to exterminate Shia and Sunni islamists since they are the ones fomenting hatred in the region.

Currently I can see unity among Egypt , Saudi Arabia , UAE , Bahrain , Jordan and Kuwait in terms of foreign policy , army and economic cooperation something similar to EU but other Arabs are not yet prepared to be part of this.

Let us first think about setting up a gathering involving our allies like Egypt and Jordan then think about other Arabs , if we succeed with our allies then it might encourage others to rethink their positions towards us , but you have to come up with something first.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom