What's new

Featured Azerbaijan Armenian War

Azerbaijan general among troops killed in Armenia border clash
1 hour ago
Share this with Facebook Share this with Messenger Share this with Twitter Share this with Email Share

Media captionThe funeral in Azerbaijan for one of the dead soldiers
Azerbaijan says one of its generals and five other officers have been killed in a third day of fighting with Armenian forces on the countries' border.

An Azeri private also died, bringing the Azeri death toll so far to 11. Armenia says four of its troops - two of them officers - were killed.

Both countries were part of the Soviet Union until its collapse in the 1990s.

They fought a bloody war over a mountainous territory, in a dispute that remains unresolved.

Nagorno-Karabakh is internationally recognised as part of Azerbaijan but is controlled by ethnic Armenians.

This clash, however, took place north of this disputed territory.

Azerbaijan says heavy fighting is continuing in Tovuz district, bordering on Tavush in north-eastern Armenia.

Learn more about Nagorno-Karabakh
Armenia country profile
Azerbaijan country profile
Dmitry Peskov, spokesman for Russian President Vladimir Putin, said Russia was "deeply concerned" about the outbreak of violence and was willing to mediate.

"We urge both parties to show restraint and to comply with their obligations under the ceasefire."

A US state department release on Monday said the country "condemns in the strongest terms the violence along the Armenia-Azerbaijan international border" and called on both sides to stop the fighting and abide by the ceasefire.

What's happening on the border?
Both sides accuse each other of shelling civilian areas on the border.

Azerbaijan's defence ministry said a 76-year-old man was killed in the village of Agdam, by Armenian shelling.

Earlier the ministry said four Azeri troops had been killed in clashes on Sunday and Monday, involving tanks and artillery.

Meanwhile, Armenia accused Azerbaijan of shelling the town of Berd.

Azerbaijan's military said it had destroyed an Armenian fortification and artillery and had inflicted casualties on "hundreds" of Armenian troops. Armenia denied suffering any casualties on that scale, but reported several wounded besides the two officers killed.

Among the six Azeri officers killed were Maj-Gen Polad Hashimov and Col Ilgar Mirzayev.

Armenia named its dead officers as Maj Garoush Hambardzumyan and Capt Sos Elbakyan. Later the defence ministry said two Armenian sergeants had been killed too.

Gas supplies to three Armenian villages were cut when some local pipelines were damaged by shelling, Gazprom Armenia said.

Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES
Image caption
Azeri artillery - years of diplomacy have failed to ease tensions
At an emergency meeting on Monday, Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev said: "Armenia's political and military leadership will bear the entire responsibility for the provocation."

Armenia, however, accused its neighbour of "using artillery in an attack aimed at capturing [Armenian] positions".

"This aggression against the security of the civilian population of Armenia will receive a proportionate response, for which the Azerbaijani side bears full responsibility," an Armenia foreign ministry spokeswoman said in a statement.
_113365788_mediaitem113365782.jpg

5c4c00a0-f285-4a43-ad25-da95833a358a_wide_fallback

Ah, a good old typo. Thanks for the correction. Though, when we done with them it might be rather rough for a ''massage'' 1914 style.

Where it goes?
-armenian soldiers fled from the warzone.

-an armenian colonel tries to run away from the warzone, armenian police arrested him to send him back.

They fired the first bullet, now it is time to pay.

F*ck them all, Azerbaijan!
@bsruzm Words are coming true

It's like "Take no Prisoners" type of war!! No wonder the most of the countries are staying away....

Look at the condition of the Armenian POW!

According to an Armenian top defense official to his folks: "It's Terror/Horror, we're sorry".....

More footages showing the merciless ferocity of this conflict!!! This is no Pak-India or India-China standoff....

Never harm a PoW. its not what muslims do... it will be a tragedy to kill or torture a person who has no will to fight.. take care of them as humans.. mercy of Prophet Muhammad PBUH .. may we follow his path

Russia is still suffering from sanctions for annexing Crimea with a 90% ethnic Russian population. What do you think the world will do if Russia annexes a country of 10 million people that is internationally recognizes? Expect territorial sanctions, Russia's exports would be cut in half, foreign investment would be cut in half, the Rubble would crash. Further, Russia does not want a conventional war, those days are over. Today, proxies are used. Look at Ukraine. It would also risk getting into a hot war with Turkey and the whole region exploding into a war zone which Russia simply does not want to do over Armenia or Azerbaijan.

A good comparison is Ukraine. Russia share historical and religious ties with Ukraine, and still HAVE NOT directly invaded the country. What makes you think they would invade Azerbaijan?

The nature of war has changed.

Russia is in the defensive phrase, it need peace time around border to solve domestic problem, both Russia and China don't want to push Turkey to US, Turkey takes the chance of US withdraw to expand but there's red line. Caucasus is the belly button of Russia.

so what is the difference between them and us. please contain your emotions, its not allowed in our religion. Only answer is become strong, so no one dares at the same time dont forget the guidelines of Islam. For you will be shown ur place by Allah, if you dont follow the guidelines (no matter how strong u become). Allah will be too swift in doing so considering you are Musalman.
For we forget, why we are where we are today.

Leave - not allowed in our religion part - not your forte. Shall I tell you what is allowed? Converting it into a Masjid after destroying all signs which indicate it was Christian temple of polytheism. Prophet sallallahu alayhi wa aalihi was'sallam destroying 360 idols in Kabah and Masjid Haram being mosque is proof of this.

With regards to making churches into toilets. If I buy them this is what I would do. My money, my property, my decision what it becomes. Can I not do that in Islam? Can I not do as I please with my property? If a Armenian chuch was purchased by me I would make the entirity of it public toilets. Tell me I am not allowed. I know my religion, and what I am allowed to do and what I am not. I also know on what grounds making church into toilets is prohibted and on what grounds I would be allowed. I told you on what grounds it would be allowed.

The sanctions completely made the Ruble crash it went from 35 Rubles for 1 USD in 2014 to 75.66 Rubles for 1 USD in September 2020. This is a direct result of Sectroal Sanctions that the US imposed (SSI Sanctions). It primarily focused on 4 economic sectors of the Russian economy where it limits the debt issuance to entities that operate in these sectors. This pushed a lot of foreign corporations away, their investments and many cooperative projects between Gazprom, Lukoil, etc. and western corporations. In addition to the Sectoral Sanctions, the US also imposed list based sanctions targeting entities and individuals who are directly or indirectly involved in the annexation of Crimea and the ongoing conflict in Eastern Ukraine. Finally, Crimea as a peninsula is completely sanctioned (territorial) and blocked from the US dollar, SWIFT, etc.

I know this because I worked in compliance back in 2014-2017, I worked on this stuff everyday. The sanctions are far reaching and did tremendous damage.

If Russia annexes Azerbaijan expect a regional war and 2x worse sanctions on the RF than the current programs.

Salaam

Did you work in compliance as part of financial regulations or import/export.

Air power is everything in todays warfare

Armenians dont stand a chance without solving the drone problem

They need massive antiair capabilities to detor this ..

Thia isnt 1990s
I wouldn't say air power is everything, though it certainly is important.

Israel learned that the hard way in Lebanon, when they tried to launch an air campaign against Hezbollah, and failed to achieve any objects. Hezbollah merely changed tactics to counter Israel's unchallenged air superiority, until the Israelis were forced to launch a ground offensive.

Similar situation in Yemen, where the air campaign launched by Saudi Arabia, and its coalition partners failed to achieve any real military objectives. Once again, KSA and its coalition partners were forced to launch ground operations to stop the Houthi offensive against government forces.

Air power can only do so much; if you dont have any ground troops to secure the areas that were bombarded, the enemy will simply come back to reclaim those areas.

Essentially, once air superiority is established, air power becomes another form of artillery strikes. It's used to soften up the targets for an eventual ground offensive, like Pakistan did in Swat against the TTP. Pakistan used the falcon drones, along with the JF-17s to find and bombard TTP targets, such as hideouts, ammo depots, bomb factories...etc. once that was done, the army moved SSG to secure key areas, and regular infantrymen to clear out the rest of the valley, and regain complete control.

Getting back to Armenia, while Azerbaijan's drones have done a lot of damage to Armenian armor, and stationary targets, Armenia is still deeply dug in, and these strikes haven't done much to counter Armenia's terrain advantage. Armenia still controls the mountains and hills, so Azerbaijan is literally and figuratively fighting an uphill battle.

The Kargil skirmish between India and Pakistan shows just how deadly having the high ground can be, once a military forces is deeply entrenched. Pakistan, with a few thousand soldiers fought off tens of thousands of Indian soldiers, and India's air strikes did very little to weaken Pakistani positions. This coming weeks will see Azerbaijan and Armenia fighting potentially dozens of kargils, where Azerbaijan will have the numbers advantage and air superiority (like India had), and Armenia with its field advantage (like Pakistan had).

Last edited:
I wouldn't say air power is everything, though it certainly is important.

Israel learned that the hard way in Lebanon, when they tried to launch an air campaign against Hezbollah, and failed to achieve any objects. Hezbollah merely changed tactics to counter Israel's unchallenged air superiority, until the Israelis were forced to launch a ground offensive.

Similar situation in Yemen, where the air campaign launched by Saudi Arabia, and its coalition partners failed to achieve any real military objectives. Once again, KSA and its coalition partners were forced to launch ground operations to stop the Houthi offensive against government forces.

Air power can only do so much; if you dont have any ground troops to secure the areas that were bombarded, the enemy will simply come back to reclaim those areas.

Essentially, once air superiority is established, air power becomes another form of artillery strikes. It's used to soften up the targets for an eventual ground offensive, like Pakistan did in Swat against the TTP. Pakistan used the falcon drones, along with the JF-17s to find and bombard TTP targets, such as hideouts, ammo depots, bomb factories...etc. once that was done, the army moved SSG to secure key areas, and regular infantrymen to clear out the rest of the valley, and regain complete control.

Both scenarios are not ideal. First of All Israel really didn't over commit in Lebanon and it withdraw due to political pressure and as for the Saudi-UAE they hold most of Yemen territorial wise and have the Houthis under siege and they are not in hurry and will stay forever in Yemen. They are not busy and they have all the time on their hands. It's gonna be a slow death for the houthis and starvation this war for them will be forever until the last of them is alive. Saudi-UAE don't really fatigue in such wars because it's their backyard. The Houthis are bigger problems then they realize because this opponent won't withdraw ever

Both scenarios are not ideal. First of All Israel really didn't over commit in Lebanon and it withdraw due to political pressure and as for the Saudi-UAE they hold most of Yemen territorial wise and have the Houthis under siege and they are not in hurry and will stay forever in Yemen. They are not busy and they have all the time on their hands. It's gonna be a slow death for the houthis and starvation this war for them will be forever until the last of them is alive

What good will do that? The coalition burns billions fighting men in slippers and hiding in caves. Theirs just no solid objective and their ground forces are incompetent as well.

Both scenarios are not ideal. First of All Israel really didn't over commit in Lebanon and it withdraw due to political pressure and as for the Saudi-UAE they hold most of Yemen territorial wise and have the Houthis under siege and they are not in hurry and will stay forever in Yemen. They are not busy and they have all the time on their hands. It's gonna be a slow death for the houthis and starvation this war for them will be forever until the last of them is alive. Saudi-UAE don't really fatigue in such wars because it's their backyard. The Houthis are bigger problems then they realize because this opponent won't withdraw ever
I'm pretty sure the UAE has already withdrawn its forces from yemen, taking a bunch of columbian mercenaries with them. Also, I'm also pretty sure the Houthis controls far more territory than the Saudis.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, by providing a few links I can look at.

Back
Top Bottom