What's new

Average Indian guy becomes real life millionaire!

fd24

Reaction score
A man from one of India's poorest states has become the first person to win a $1m jackpot on the Indian version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire.

Sushil Kumar, a computer operator and tutor from the eastern state of Bihar, took home the top prize on popular game show Kaun Banega Crorepati.

The winner's brother, Sudhir Kumar, said he was well-prepared for the show.
He said the reason that Mr Kumar was so informed was that he was a regular listener to the BBC's Hindi service.

Mr Kumar's win echoed the plot of the blockbuster film Slumdog Millionaire.

"I never thought in my wildest dreams that I could do this," he said.
The 27-year-old, who was married five months ago, earns a monthly salary of less than $150 (£93.75).

The BBC's Nitin Srivastava said Mr Kumar planned to use his winnings to pay off his debts and buy a new home for his family.
Hosted by Bollywood star Amitabh Bachchan, Kaun Banega Crorepati is one of India's most popular shows, and has offered vastly increased prize money this season.

I love stories like this. Hope he invests well!! :tup:

BBC News - 'Slumdog Millionaire': Indian becomes real-life winner

man the guy is lucky . doubt i will ever reach 5 cr with my savings ever.:cheesy:

A man who earns $5 a day, considering he is a bread winner and has a few dependents to take care of, he is in the bracket of Indians earning less than $2 a day. India is often discounted as a country of poor but imagine the potential of each of those who are earning $2 a day. It is time for the privileged Indians to dream big and build opportunities and enterprises that give employment to the have nots. This is no social cause but as more Indians make wealth and reward employees of their enterprise, the more developed we become.

How much is the tax deduction in India for winnings? I think its 30%

he would get some 2 crores after giving all the taxes.....it aint enough for buying even a house in mumbai..hehe
he could donate it to www.ineedbuynewlappy.com :D

after taxes, he will have 3.25 Crores and that is equal to 650 Million Dollars.

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 PM ----------

How much is the tax deduction in India for winnings? I think its 30%

On any lottery/ quiz winnings Tax at source will be deducted @30%+ education cess

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 PM ----------

On any lottery/ quiz winnings Tax at source will be deducted @30%+ education cess

Are you sure sir? :azn:

After 2 thousands some post you are dumping horse manure on PDF ;)

Ya right .. I wish. It is $650 000

:lol:

i was going to ask you to apply for the next finance minister! lolz

Which country ? If it is Pakistan, I am sure you wont be disappointed. I can do a much better job than the current bunch of jokers.

After 2 thousands some post you are dumping horse manure on PDF ;)

Ramu i think you would probably be on a par with what we already have - so stick to your day job and cut the horse manure out on here - many thanks

Congratulations to this 'slumdog'.
For the rest of us as Sanjay Dutt said in a movie "Crorepati bane sae pehle 'Kon' bana saroori hai".

Back
Top Bottom