What's new

Avalanche traps about 150 Pakistani soldiers

post to get to last page .......

cleared cookies and cache, still can't get to last page .........

I wish it should be such as you are assuming but these avalanches come with massive force, buildings are nothing and these sweep everything which come in their way. But miracles do happen though not very often, lets hope for the one.

The buildings had to fight their way against a huge mass of hard ice accelerating at great speed! Though they were made strong enough for such incident, this was too huge for a scale.

Yeah, entire nation is hoping for miracle. May we have minimum casualties, Ameen.

Coming to what I pointed out before - Well, I was referring to potential air spaces regardless to the intensity of the force exerted by avalanche. Scenario where avalanche falls over the camps/buildings is different from the scenario avalanche falls directly on soldiers, we simply cannot rule out possible air gaps in former case because of the presence of buildings.

But again as you said type of this avalanche sweeps everything on its way, let alone people. But miracles do happen, let's hope and pray for the men.

I updated my last video..It comprises of all the pictures posted by members on this thread.Please point out errors,so that i can correct them..If you are expert at video editing please improve this video and post here.Thanks all.
Please share this video,so that we don't forget them,and our hope remains alive.

thats copyright infringement

Last edited by a moderator:
533085_367373456635485_366770643362433_941394_2011351298_n.jpg

I Miss My Soldiers - Pakistan Military

A Pakistani Soldier: When you are sleeping comfortably i was standing over thousands of feet... Today... i am sleeping forever and my nation is still sleeping... UNFORTUNTLY!

Story: Siachin Tragedy

The avalanche hit a military camp near the Siachen glacier in the Karakoram branch of the Himalaya mountains. In all 135 people - including 124 soldiers - are missing. India and Pakistan both claim the area and have deployed thousands of troops.

Graphics by: Waleed Irfan

Pakistan Military Board
Pakistan Defence

FB Fotorix Studio | Facebook
Flickr Flickr: Fotorix Studio's Photostream

-

RIP mere Jawan, mere Sher, Rah-e-Haq ke Shaheedon. :cry:

Harder for the troops on the ground than the ones that have passed away. Life can so short, especially for a soldier, & they must be the utmost respect & love from the people for defending this country.

Perhaps instead of looking at the dam and the ice pool behind, one should look at the point of fracture. Why did it fracture at that point? The main glacier is said to have retreated 800 metres in recent years; was some similar process taking place here? Did that process of decay open up a fissure at the point of fracture? Did something like the polar phenomenon of calving, where the edges of the polar ice-cap break off in huge chunks and fall into the neighbouring sea, to become ice bergs, take place here?

Here are some excerpts from a five year old study, conducted by a Pakistani hydrologist, which shed some light on the environmental issues:

1. Mr Abbasi compared satellite images of the glacier's snout between 1978 and 2006 as part of a study for the Worldwide Fund for Nature in Pakistan last year. He found the rate of retreat far more dramatic than the annual 30m to 34m previously reported.

"The images suggest the glacier has been retreating at around 110 metres a year over the period studied. This is all due to human activity"

2. Among human activities that have caused the retreat, Mr Abbasi cited troop deployments, daily military flights to the world's highest helipad, kerosene and diesel fumes, lorry movements and the dumping of chemical and human waste.

3. Mr Abbasi's 2007 study found that Siachen had lost 35 per cent of its volume over the previous 20 years.

4. We have lost a substantial amount of glacial mass as a result of huge infrastructure development by both armies on either side of the ridge. "This has led not only to the creation of glacial lakes and snow hole formations, it's responsible for destructive snow avalanches on both sides of the Saltoro ridge.

War zone's melting glacier a 'colossal' risk - The National

Back
Top Bottom