What's new

Authorities seize chocolates from passenger at Jinnah International Airport, Karachi

I think that's South Asian bureaucracy at work.

GoP banned imports of these items, because it'd mean higher import bill.

I don't think the aim of ban was to harass expats who have already bought these items on their personal dime in a foreign country.

This just gives ammo o corrupt airport officials, who now have yet another reason to harass expats. Obviously they fail to see the bigger picture.

U making excuses for this shit ?
I'm only stating the reasoning behind the act, i'm sure thousands transit through each airport, i have not heard anything about holding back items at least from people who i asked.
5kg is big number for selling? People on average take more than that as gifts for relatives!
Indeed, relatives from UK often come back here with tons from duty free. I'm only highlighting potential rationale but it seems that it is unrelated and instead a personal act by the customs people there.

There are a lot of illicit practices that goes on here.

There are alot of carriers who pay these custom officials. In return they get free pass on bringing anything into Pakistan, through Karachi.

I personally know a group of carriers who pay custom officials and are able to bring 30-40 kgs per trip into Karachi. That’s a sizeable amount if a person flies in/out every alternate days.

Common items include gold, lose diamonds, silver/gold jewelry, perfumes, luxury goods.

These custom officials are probably catching small fishes and letting the bigger fishes slip through. Possibly for public consumption.

Remember Ayan Ali. How was she able to take foreign currency out at massive scale out of Karachi airport and that too almost on a daily basis. There are alot of careers that still do it. I believe the limit is $10,000 per person but the rules are flaunted if you know someone who knows someone or pay the right person.

Last time i checked ban was on import of luxury items. Since when personal luggage of a person is classified as an import? Kind of reminds me of the time when customs officer tried to confiscate by iPhone saying i need to pay 40000 tax to him on airport. Had to pay those scums 20$ just to get my personal phone and laptop from them.

NO ONE, I SAY NO ONE in Pakistan deserves luxury items unless you belong to honorable Sharif Chor Family.

Just got back from TCS (in the UAE).

I was supposed to ship some Patches to a couple of PAF Bases & was denied based on Ban on Import Goods.

WTF!!!

Obviously, TCS & OCS being the only Pakistani courier companies here, their business depends on us sending priority mail from here.

For now, only Documents Accepted.

@PakSword @Super Falcon @Sabretooth @PradoTLC @khail007 @War Thunder @ZedZeeshan

628cbfa26d930.jpg

Authorities at Jinnah International Airport, Karachi confiscated chocolates and confectionery items from a passenger on Monday, a development that raises questions on whether the ban on 38 imported items imposed by the government last week extends to personal items being brought by travellers in their luggage.

As per the Federal Board of Revenue's (FBR) receipt, 5kg of food stuff was detained from a passenger coming from Dubai under SRO 598(I)/2022.

The food was seized for "contravention of Custom Acts/ITC Regulations /Foreign Exchange Regulations/ Allied Laws."

628ccba5c3b08.jpg

Last week, the government imposed a ban on the import of all non-essential luxury items in its effort to steer the country out of its existing financial crisis. A bulging import bill is part of the problem.

Import ban: Commerce ministry notifies list of 38 items

According to the list, a ban was imposed on the import of mobile phones CBU, home appliances, cosmetics, crockery, pet food, private weapons and ammunition, shoes, chandeliers and lighting (except energy savers), headphones and loudspeakers, doors and window frames, travelling bags and suitcases, sanitary ware, carpets (except from Afghanistan), tissue paper, furniture, shampoos, automobiles (CBU), luxury mattresses and sleeping bags, bathroom ware/toiletries, heaters/blowers, sunglasses, kitchenware, cigarettes, shaving goods, luxury leather apparel, musical instruments, saloon items like hairdryers and decoration/ornamental articles.

The Commerce Ministry also imposed a ban on the import of confectionery, jams and jelly, fish and frozen fish, sauces, ketchup etc, fruits and dry fruits (except from Afghanistan), preserved fruits, cornflakes, frozen meat, juices, pasta, aerated water, ice cream and chocolates (in retail packing).

However, the prohibition under this order shall not apply on the imports in Pak rupees or imports through the barter mechanism through land routes, the notification said.

The imports of products listed shall remain prohibited regardless of their import status elsewhere in the Import Policy Order 2022, the notification added.

Situation must be pretty bad, last time I heard of chocolate getting confiscated was by Israel taking Palestinian chocolates headed for Gaza on suspicion they were going to get used for funding terrorism :(

What an absolute slap in the face of visitors to Pakistan.

I was supposed to ship some Patches to a couple of PAF Bases & was denied based on Ban on Import Goods.

WTF!!!

Obviously, TCS & OCS being the only Pakistani courier companies here, their business depends on us sending priority mail from here.

@PakSword @Super Falcon @Sabretooth @PradoTLC @khail007 @War Thunder @ZedZeeshan
So you can't spend you own money earned abroad to buy some chocolates for your friends and family back home.

Lol

How does this affect our foreign exchange?

Laughable

WTF!!!

These bunch of 'haramkhors', convicted criminals, absconders. thieves, thugs, and liars will leave no stone unturned to destroy any business which does not belong to them. They are habitual of such tactics. All business belonging to 'k@nj@r' Sharif Dynasty is in profit but belongs to the state of Pakistan is in shambles and they want to 'privatize' those to the 'Maqsood Chaprasi' and likes of that.

These bunch of 'haramkhors', convicted criminals, absconders. thieves, thugs, and liars will leave no stone unturned to destroy any business which does not belong to them. They are habitual of such tactics. All business belonging to 'k@nj@r' Sharif Dynasty is in profit but belongs to the state of Pakistan is in shambles and they want to 'privatize' those to the 'Maqsood Chaprasi' and likes of that.
You know, i've used those 'khaypees' in the past whilst sending Patches in small quantities because TCS gets a bit expensive.

However, when I do use TCS, I attach the receipts for the Production because there is a Customs charge. Even with the evidence present, the Customs value them on their own & charge nearly double. But leaving that aside, they were still making money.

This Ban on Imported Goods is a joke.

The guy at TCS was telling me that their business in the UAE has taken a major hit.

WTF!!!

noonies dont want us to enjoy our hard earn money.

they are just jealous of us.. as noonies couldnt get job as toliet cleaner in dubai.

628cbfa26d930.jpg

Authorities at Jinnah International Airport, Karachi confiscated chocolates and confectionery items from a passenger on Monday, a development that raises questions on whether the ban on 38 imported items imposed by the government last week extends to personal items being brought by travellers in their luggage.

As per the Federal Board of Revenue's (FBR) receipt, 5kg of food stuff was detained from a passenger coming from Dubai under SRO 598(I)/2022.

The food was seized for "contravention of Custom Acts/ITC Regulations /Foreign Exchange Regulations/ Allied Laws."

628ccba5c3b08.jpg

Last week, the government imposed a ban on the import of all non-essential luxury items in its effort to steer the country out of its existing financial crisis. A bulging import bill is part of the problem.

Import ban: Commerce ministry notifies list of 38 items

According to the list, a ban was imposed on the import of mobile phones CBU, home appliances, cosmetics, crockery, pet food, private weapons and ammunition, shoes, chandeliers and lighting (except energy savers), headphones and loudspeakers, doors and window frames, travelling bags and suitcases, sanitary ware, carpets (except from Afghanistan), tissue paper, furniture, shampoos, automobiles (CBU), luxury mattresses and sleeping bags, bathroom ware/toiletries, heaters/blowers, sunglasses, kitchenware, cigarettes, shaving goods, luxury leather apparel, musical instruments, saloon items like hairdryers and decoration/ornamental articles.

The Commerce Ministry also imposed a ban on the import of confectionery, jams and jelly, fish and frozen fish, sauces, ketchup etc, fruits and dry fruits (except from Afghanistan), preserved fruits, cornflakes, frozen meat, juices, pasta, aerated water, ice cream and chocolates (in retail packing).

However, the prohibition under this order shall not apply on the imports in Pak rupees or imports through the barter mechanism through land routes, the notification said.

The imports of products listed shall remain prohibited regardless of their import status elsewhere in the Import Policy Order 2022, the notification added.

Situation must be pretty bad, last time I heard of chocolate getting confiscated was by Israel taking Palestinian chocolates headed for Gaza on suspicion they were going to get used for funding terrorism :(
Stop going to Pakistan people!... A country run by robbers for the robbers and greeted by robbers as soon as you get off the cattle herding PIA failed airlines....

Stop going to Pakistan people!... A country run by robbers for the robbers and greeted by robbers as soon as you get off the cattle herding PIA failed airlines....

Was thinking the same, why allow these crooks to benefit from the hard-earned cash. Let these corrupt tola starve to death.

Lets face it guys.... Pakistan is in deep ....! Thanks entirely to the top neutered one and his henchmen in uniform, black robes, and the criminal enterprise imposed by them to finish off what's left of this most unfortunate nation on the face of the earth.
Such draconian measures will not solve the dire economic problems faced by the nation. The self appointed saviors of Pakistan always make the wrong policies, and never learn from their past mistakes.

Back
Top Bottom