What's new

Authorities seize chocolates from passenger at Jinnah International Airport, Karachi

Corrupts airport staff will consume high quality products no doubt.

And the imported government gets revenge against expats for their support for PTI

Who the hell imports ice cream ??
Lolz…..as usual the customs having no brains at all…zahir ha jab sara din duty pe kuch loagon ko protocol detay aur unko check-in pe luggage assist ker ker k yehi haal hoga
The 2 youth in front of me last year in a check-in line for intl flight were being given such protocol by one of the new customs hires……qulli ka kaam customs se kerwate loag

U can't make these tiny sacrifices ?

It has zero economic impact. The whole idea behind prohibiting imports is to stop the spending of Pakistani forex on imported items.

If i bring a chocolate bar from the UK, i have already paid for it, it has no economic impact to Pakistan.

This is just airport staff being bastarrds extorting bribes from people.

These corrupts will distribute the confiscated items among themselves to feed 'haram' to their kids and to make happy their officer-in-charge at the airports/customs.

Zardari regretting deleting all the evidence at once!

59a1e78e49e8b.jpg

It has zero economic impact. The whole idea behind prohibiting imports is to stop the spending of Pakistani forex on imported items.

If i bring a chocolate bar from the UK, i have already paid for it, it has no economic impact to Pakistan.

This is just airport staff being bastarrds extorting bribes from people.
Oh, that's different then.

Good that laws are being enforced.

Hopefully good samaritans can still use the whistleblower law and rat out people bringing in harmful and banned substances.

Who the hell imports ice cream ??
Lolz…..as usual the customs having no brains at all…zahir ha jab sara din duty pe kuch loagon ko protocol detay aur unko check-in pe luggage assist ker ker k yehi haal hoga
The 2 youth in front of me last year in a check-in line for intl flight were being given such protocol by one of the new customs hires……qulli ka kaam customs se kerwate loag

What protocol? You should report such corrupt behaviour.

628cbfa26d930.jpg

Authorities at Jinnah International Airport, Karachi confiscated chocolates and confectionery items from a passenger on Monday, a development that raises questions on whether the ban on 38 imported items imposed by the government last week extends to personal items being brought by travellers in their luggage.

As per the Federal Board of Revenue's (FBR) receipt, 5kg of food stuff was detained from a passenger coming from Dubai under SRO 598(I)/2022.

The food was seized for "contravention of Custom Acts/ITC Regulations /Foreign Exchange Regulations/ Allied Laws."

628ccba5c3b08.jpg

Last week, the government imposed a ban on the import of all non-essential luxury items in its effort to steer the country out of its existing financial crisis. A bulging import bill is part of the problem.

Import ban: Commerce ministry notifies list of 38 items

According to the list, a ban was imposed on the import of mobile phones CBU, home appliances, cosmetics, crockery, pet food, private weapons and ammunition, shoes, chandeliers and lighting (except energy savers), headphones and loudspeakers, doors and window frames, travelling bags and suitcases, sanitary ware, carpets (except from Afghanistan), tissue paper, furniture, shampoos, automobiles (CBU), luxury mattresses and sleeping bags, bathroom ware/toiletries, heaters/blowers, sunglasses, kitchenware, cigarettes, shaving goods, luxury leather apparel, musical instruments, saloon items like hairdryers and decoration/ornamental articles.

The Commerce Ministry also imposed a ban on the import of confectionery, jams and jelly, fish and frozen fish, sauces, ketchup etc, fruits and dry fruits (except from Afghanistan), preserved fruits, cornflakes, frozen meat, juices, pasta, aerated water, ice cream and chocolates (in retail packing).

However, the prohibition under this order shall not apply on the imports in Pak rupees or imports through the barter mechanism through land routes, the notification said.

The imports of products listed shall remain prohibited regardless of their import status elsewhere in the Import Policy Order 2022, the notification added.

Situation must be pretty bad, last time I heard of chocolate getting confiscated was by Israel taking Palestinian chocolates headed for Gaza on suspicion they were going to get used for funding terrorism :(
Good news for customs officers families.

An update to the situation:

ISLAMABAD: The Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) has taken serious notice of blackmailing by certain customs officers at airports and directed that the bonafide passenger baggage carrying banned items would not be stopped/seized and genuine passengers be facilitated. In this connection, the FBR has issued instructions to all customs authorities at the airports here on Friday on the implementation of SRO 598(1)/2022.
According to the FBR’s instructions, refer to the subject cited above and to state that SRO 598(I)/2022 was issued on May 19, 2022, whereby, a detailed list of items was issued whose import was banned till further notice.
It has come to the notice of the Board that the field formations, especially at airports have started detaining even small quantities of goods, especially food items from the personal baggage of passengers causing hardship to the passengers.
Authorities seize chocolates from passenger at Jinnah International Airport, Karachi
It is to convey to all that board has taken a strong notice of the matter and directs that commercial quantities of the above banned items be seized and bonafide passenger baggage shall not be stopped/seized and genuine passengers facilitated, as per past practice. Any deviation from the above directions shall entail disciplinary action, the FBR added.
The government has imposed a ban on mobile phones, home appliances, fruits and dry fruits (except from Afghanistan), crockery, private weapons and ammunition, shoes, chandeliers and lighting (except energy savers), headphones and loudspeakers, sauces, ketchup, etc, doors and window frames, travelling bags and suitcases, sanitary ware, fish and frozen fish, carpets (except from Afghanistan), preserved fruits, tissue paper, furniture, shampoos, automobiles, confectionery, luxury mattresses and sleeping bags, jams and jelly, cornflakes, bathroom ware/ toiletries, heaters/ blowers, sunglasses, kitchenware, aerated water, frozen meat, juices, pasta, etc, ice cream, cigarettes, shaving goods, luxury leather apparel, musical instruments, saloon items such as hair dryers, etc, and chocolates.

Back
Top Bottom